Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 21:11   #181
Team-BHP Support

I saw the tank and its not really worth a repair, even the outer side is rusted and would soon create issues. New tank would have reached by now.

Starter and carb has been dismantled and being serviced and will be put back with new packing.

Gear shifter assembly was also removed and the shafts has some minor scars, mech is trying to source new ones. Even the lever has a small chip off due to earlier abuse at garage.

Meanwhile i have passed on some info from UBS to the mech, to check some parts in the prop shaft to rule out any issues.

Some pics now and hopefully by friday or saturday she will be out again.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-2.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th April 2010, 10:34   #182
Team-BHP Support

Update update update.

Gear box, starter, carb all assembled back. New tank fitted along with new electronic fuel pump, the last one conked out thanks to the debris fiasco. Tried cranking her and she started at the touch of the starter switch

Meanwhile UBS sends me the exhaust valve spring and we found that putting it back without liftting the head is a tricky job. A quick phone call to UBS gave some ideas, but then he also suggested to lifting the head, to check everything is aok and do a valve and bore check while at it.

Mech was working on Sunday and he called and confirmed that the cylinders were in great shape without any scars, its running original size pistons! Only the head gasket was in bad shape. Will be calling him later to see whats the diagnose with valves and rings, and then need to procure all the packings and rings, to complete the half engine overhaul

I thought its better to miss the half day OTR and get the jeep ready, than to regret later during monsoon.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:39   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I thought its better to miss the half day OTR and get the jeep ready, than to regret later during monsoon.
+1. And make sure you never remove those tops especially for monsoon OTR
Old 5th April 2010, 12:30   #184
Team-BHP Support

Good news, valves seems to be in good shape. The head has been given to lathe to do a proper finish and valve setting. Mech should get back in a while to see if the gaskets etc are available and then refitting.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:32   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Would DwArF be completely done-up by next Saturday ?
Old 5th April 2010, 13:37   #186
Senior - BHPian

jaggu you seem to have started learning the trade to become a typical naadan aashaan when it comes to jeeps . Whats the work like now, 6 hours at office and 3 hours at the garage eh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
If its ready, then lets get some good pics of dwarf. What say ?
Old 5th April 2010, 14:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu Saar, Great to see your Dwarf perform on the OTR.
Re the fuel tank, i searched and searched but could not find one so i cut open the existing tank and throughly cleaned it. Then i repaired the leaks and welded it back. Zimble Zolution Zirr

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-dsc08246-800x600.jpg
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-dsc08247-800x600.jpg

P.S. Your parcel leaves today!!Sorry for the delay.
Old 5th April 2010, 15:41   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
jaggu

I'm game if its on Saturday. Besides - I have a bone to pick with you for not answering yesterday's call
Old 5th April 2010, 17:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
i searched and searched but could not find one so i cut open the existing tank and throughly cleaned it. Then i repaired the leaks and welded it back. Zimble Zolution Zirr
Good one Gogi, i liked it

Spike
Old 5th April 2010, 17:43   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Good news, valves seems to be in good shape. The head has been given to lathe to do a proper finish and valve setting. Mech should get back in a while to see if the gaskets etc are available and then refitting.

Well all these are "Art of re-doing"

BTW do you know where and who is working on the valve grinding and seating ?

What makes your mechanic think, the valves, valve guides and valve seats are OK?

If one of the valve spring was faulty, and the jeep has run for more than 100 kms, thats more than sufficient to damage the valve and valve seat, this is a case with any petrol engines.

Kindly check with the lathe guy personally if the head is fine.

Usually MOHAN Lathe is the best in Bengaluru, check weather if its gone there, i can pass on his number to you.

Its better done BETTER NOW or REDO the same job later.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:56   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Maybe yes but am out of town next weekend so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
jaggu you seem to have started learning the trade to become a typical naadan aashaan when it comes to jeeps . Whats the work like now, 6 hours at office and 3 hours at the garage eh ?

Nope this time am taking a chance, trusting my mech to set things right. I like his attitude, if i tell him something he does it, and if i dont like it, he is ok to redo it to my liking. So far he has delivered, so i dont trouble him too much with me being there. I just drop in once in a while, give instructions, sometime write down the instructions and then leave it to him.

My work schedule has been lil crazy that i cant find time during weekdays and weekends is useless since his garage is overloaded.

Key to this set up is give him time and setting expectations. Right now thats the only option i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Jaggu Saar, Great to see your Dwarf perform on the OTR.
Re the fuel tank, i searched and searched but could not find one so i cut open the existing tank and throughly cleaned it. Then i repaired the leaks and welded it back. Zimble Zolution Zirr

Attachment 322476
Attachment 322477

P.S. Your parcel leaves today!!Sorry for the delay.
Yes sir, i am keeping the tank with me for this experiment for later. Right now, plonked in the new diesel tank and lets see how long it survives.

And i shall call you once the parcel arrives, i need to figure out a way to convince you on certain things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Well all these are "Art of re-doing"

BTW do you know where and who is working on the valve grinding and seating ?

What makes your mechanic think, the valves, valve guides and valve seats are OK?

If one of the valve spring was faulty, and the jeep has run for more than 100 kms, thats more than sufficient to damage the valve and valve seat, this is a case with any petrol engines.

Kindly check with the lathe guy personally if the head is fine.

Usually MOHAN Lathe is the best in Bengaluru, check weather if its gone there, i can pass on his number to you.

Its better done BETTER NOW or REDO the same job later.
I spoke to UBS and he mentioned that since the exhaust valve was sitting horizontal, thanks to gravity things wouldn't go wrong that easily, even if the locks pop out. Lucky for me nothing like that has happened also. But then we decided that we will give it a check anyways to reconfirm the condition.

My mech is an ok guy and usually calls up if he finds anything amiss or even if he is confused. He wanted to do it slow and hence worked on Sunday to avoid any disturbance.

What he informed me:
- Running on standard pistons
- Bore is clean, no scars or scuffs
- Valve's are clean without any pitting. Still since we opened the head he is giving it to a lathe to get it cleaned and do a proper valve seat lapping before setting it back
- Head gasket was in a bad shape, thankfully we opened before it gave away. New one is the only solution and right now in the process of procuring one
- Rings he hasnt checked yet, first thing is to source new ones. Then only we will tread further

I am definitely interested in your contacts and do share them. Can ask my mech to get in touch and he is quite open to such requests.

As UBS and DKG terms it, this engine is as simple as it gets and its very difficult to get it wrong, if you follow some basic mechanical rules. Am counting on this for the time being to get her running proper. Since the jeep didn't have any major coughing or oil consumption issues, we feel the engine still has good amount of life in it. So do a half overhaul and run her for the time being. When am ready with a proper restoration budget and time, jump in for a full restoration.

Even the current engine work could have been avoided if we really wanted it, but just to overrule any major road blocks later on we opened the head.

I completely understand and is in agreement with your restoration outlook, its just that this time its more of repair jobs. A proper restoration will have to wait, atleast for a year or so.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th April 2010 at 19:06.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:19   #192
Team-BHP Support

Had been to the garage in the morning. The head has come back from lathe and mech is awaiting for the head gasket and rings, should be delivered today and the setting up should be done in 2-3 days. Since am out of station this weekend i have asked him to take time and set it up slow.

Spike's technical info came in handy and has been SMSed to the mech to set the clearances to spec.

The gear shafts had too much of play and was not set up properly, this has been corrected now. Hopefully this was the reason for the clatter while holding a steady throttle. Mech will do a trail run over the weekend and confirm if things are fine and i should be able to drive DwArF home while returning from my trip next Monday

The head seems to be in good shape and valve seating done.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-5.jpg

Head gasket almost cooked and might be the reason why the jeep had a minor coolant drinking issue
Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  170.8 KB

The exhaust valve cover opened up, thanks to gravity it will not pop out and cause major havoc to the engine.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-3.jpg

Darn valve spring, LT one is the fake one looks like a scooter seat spring! can be compressed by fingers! RT the OE one which UBS sent. Big thanks!
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo-2.jpg

Cylinder view and pistons, from top. Seems to be in good shape.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-photo.jpg
Old 7th April 2010, 13:46   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike's technical info came in handy and has been SMSed to the mech to set the clearances to spec.

The gear shafts had too much of play and was not set up properly, this has been corrected now. Hopefully this was the reason for the clatter while holding a steady throttle.
Jaggu bhai, i hope your mechanic will be aware of the gear box work(play/runouts/clearances). As it is opened now, see to it that everything is sorted out. If in doubt please let me know.

Spike
Old 7th April 2010, 14:34   #194
Team-BHP Support

Spikeeeeee only the gearbox top cover was opened up. The mech is ok with such (mechanical) works since he has been setting up jeeps for last 20 years. If this doesn't sort out the issue, will be doing a complete gearbox overhaul later.
Old 8th April 2010, 22:14   #195
Team-BHP Support

Santa delivers a package

Santa came late but did a good job and me got brand new woriginal carbs! Thank you Santa, i shall be delivering the items to workshop tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1070.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1071.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1072.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1073.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks