Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 23:58   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

I am jealous of the "60 deg" - A freezing engine! Or is it the "New electrical type" gauge that is helping? I have the older manual type temp gauge.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:21   #362
Team-BHP Support

I really dont know if its the meter or not, i have had the temp gauge move to 80's under extreme conditions when we did some sand trials. But in general after the initial overhaul, moving to coolant instead of water etc normal temp hovers around 60's. Touch wood and gonna put a black mark on the fender to avoid any nazar
Old 8th January 2011, 00:29   #363
Senior - BHPian

Even I use coolant instead of water. and yes please put a black teeka on your dwarf. On a serious note, what does your meter reading start with 40?
Old 8th January 2011, 21:52   #364
Team-BHP Support

Build 2 update!

Today i visited DwArF and old man had dismantled the Gear Box and Transfer case along with the whole tranny. Rear axle also has been disassembled.

When last mech mentioned GB was in ok shape i should have inspected more myself but in all the excitement of getting the vehicle ready, it somehow never happened.
  • The main shaft bearing is like a grinder, gone
  • Shaft is in bad shape and even has incurred a nasty cut on it. Needs replacement
  • Most of the tolerance were out
  • Oil seals have got damaged
  • One of the bolting points/ear of TC to GB was welded (this is from the day i got the jeep). This was not phased proper causing a misalignment
  • One of the new synchro's and few other wheels have been butchered

Good news is the rear diff is in good shape and might require some fine setting, thats all. And my handbrake is intact all it needs is a cabe to actuate buwahahaha

Now some pics.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m1.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m2.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m3.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m4.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m5.jpg

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-3m6.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2011 at 21:54.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:22   #365
BHPian

Dear Jaggu / Shubz,

If the temprature is maintained between 75-80 degrees then it is the perfect temp on normal driving conditions, any thing below 75 is not at all good for your engine, to know more why a specific temp is required in a engine then the Best knowledge can be shared by Mr.Behram,

Shubz - check the engine oil is circulating as required & the filters are not colged this too can increase the temp,

in extreme it has to reach atlest 90 and not cross this figure, also to add it will cross 90, once the engine is shut, once you start the temp will be back to normal.

My friends & me have driven my 3b in peak summers at 70 kmph, maintaining a temp of 80 + -,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I am jealous of the "60 deg" - A freezing engine! Or is it the "New electrical type" gauge that is helping? I have the older manual type temp gauge.
Dear Jaggu,

If you have an issue in sourcing the parts for the gear box let me know, will ask Sibi to have it couriered from Coorg,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2011 at 22:48. Reason: Back to back post, EDIT the original post instead if posing within 15 mts. Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 22:28   #366
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, I am asking a frank question just out of curiosity:- When (you / mechanic) overhauls an assembly say a Transmission or an Axle how does he ensure that the assembly is as per specification. Is it just by his past experience or you refer some manual for help? For e.g. when you overhaul a transmission the "End float" the "trueness" of the shafts are the most critical parameters, how do you go about this?

Reason why I am asking is:- The other day I was in my mechanics place (a regular check up for my RX), his junior mechanic opened up a CVT, on assembling back they left out a washer and had no clue on how to put it back. The helper asked his master "Iska kya karne ka" What to do about this, his master replied "Washaeerr ka koyi zaroorat nahin hai" No need of washer. I know they were novices, the main mechanic was away, but still. I stood there watching all this silently.

Spike

PS- I can see the old man working diligently with a Vernier, that does speak a thing or two!
Old 8th January 2011, 22:40   #367
Team-BHP Support

I know the relevance of engine temperature, i suspect my engine is taking long time to heat up. Mostly because it might not have the thermostat, but is it available for the hurricane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
Dear Jaggu,

If you have an issue in sourcing the parts for the gear box let me know, will ask Sibi to have it couriered from Coorg,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas
Thank you right now old man has ordered and is confident. Even Stat_Aqua aka Vijay was also suggesting Coorg. Will bother all if i need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, I am asking a frank question just out of curiosity:- When (you / mechanic) overhauls an assembly say a Transmission or an Axle how does he ensure that the assembly is as per specification. Is it just by his past experience or you refer some manual for help?
============
PS- I can see the old man working diligently with a Vernier, that does speak a thing or two!
Experience + some research from my side. And i posted that picture with a reason in mind. The point you mentioned above of end float and trueness was educated by him also.

EDIT: last time do you remember sending me an sms with engine tune specs?

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2011 at 22:51.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:56   #368
BHPian

Dear Pratheesh,

Some of the good exprienced mechanic who have spent a good number of years will handle this with ease, for example ask Dennis / Karle in who are there with you in your company for years & know the job well, i did get a good amount of time to with them to understand how they handle situations without a manual,

You will be surprised i have seen a very senior mechanic changing a clutch pate for scorpio in flat 40 minutes all by him self & fitting perfectly as per requirement,

On the small part being left out is quite common with mechanics,where you have some part left out & they realize that instead of waisting time, just chuck it,

Luckily i feel Jaggus mech should do the jop as i see him inthe picture using scales to check, so this kind of still shows that the mech knows his job,

Very classic place is coorg if you do get to go there, then you should spend some time with the mechanic there & you will get to notice how they maintain the Jeep used as taxi -4*4 in perfect conditions, which travel between Coorg & Cananore every day doing 2-3 trips, inworst of the roads,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas

Quote:
Jaggu, I am asking a frank question just out of curiosity:- When (you / mechanic) overhauls an assembly say a Transmission or an Axle how does he ensure that the assembly is as per specification. Is it just by his past experience or you refer some manual for help? For e.g. when you overhaul a transmission the "End float" the "trueness" of the shafts are the most critical parameters, how do you go about this?

Reason why I am asking is:- The other day I was in my mechanics place (a regular check up for my RX), his junior mechanic opened up a CVT, on assembling back they left out a washer and had no clue on how to put it back. The helper asked his master "Iska kya karne ka" What to do about this, his master replied "Washaeerr ka koyi zaroorat nahin hai" No need of washer. I know they were novices, the main mechanic was away, but still. I stood there watching all this silently.

Spike

Old 8th January 2011, 23:07   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Experience + some research from my side. And i posted that picture with a reason in mind. The point you mentioned above of end float and trueness was educated by him also.

EDIT: last time do you remember sending me an sms with engine tune specs?
Yes, yes I do remember! ^^ That sounds reassuring!

Quote:
Dear Pratheesh,

Some of the good exprienced mechanic who have spent a good number of years will handle this with ease, for example ask Dennis / Karle in who are there with you in your company for years & know the job well, i did get a good amount of time to with them to understand how they handle situations without a manual,
-----
You are right, Dennis / Karle / Dhoke/ Vincent / Thomas (last 2 are Mallus who are also here) are in a league of their own. On the Coorg part, I think I will bug you soon!

Spike
Old 9th January 2011, 01:01   #370
Team-BHP Support

Spike any info on what should be the amp rating for the CJ3B? How much is the starter rated at?
Old 9th January 2011, 14:23   #371
BHPian

Dear Spike,

Correct me, it is 35 amps, i have question how many bulbs will this support,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas

Quote:
Spike any info on what should be the amp rating for the CJ3B? How much is the starter rated at?
Dear Spike,

Is it possible for you to get a copy of the manual of a 3B, have to revive back my 3 3bs, one is ready and running intact, rest have to be restored which will start by mid this year,
You should come & see these jeeps, dont worry on the stay sibi's mansion jeeps are available for you any time,

My humble request why dont you come down for the Jan event,

best regards
Vinaythomas

Quote:
Yes, yes I do remember! ^^ That sounds reassuring!

You are right, Dennis / Karle / Dhoke/ Vincent / Thomas (last 2 are Mallus who are also here) are in a league of their own. On the Coorg part, I think I will bug you soon!

Spike

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th January 2011 at 21:56. Reason: Please use Mutil quote (Quote +) instead of back to back posts. Thanks
Old 9th January 2011, 15:30   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu, I tried searching through some literatures but could not find anything on the ampere rating. Only things mentioned everywhere is:- Model- Prestolite MDU 7004, DB tells me that Lucas type are easily available. Will call you if I have some info.

Quote:
Dear Spike,

Correct me, it is 35 amps, i have question how many bulbs will this support,

Best regards
Vinay Thomas
Vinay, it is the alternator which is rated at 35 Amps, I am not too sure of the Starter motor.

Quote:
Dear Spike,

Is it possible for you to get a copy of the manual of a 3B, have to revive back my 3 3bs, one is ready and running intact, rest have to be restored which will start by mid this year,
You should come & see these jeeps, dont worry on the stay sibi's mansion jeeps are available for you any time,

My humble request why dont you come down for the Jan event,

best regards
Vinaythomas
Vinay Done! I am a Jeeper by heart, I am hanging on here just because of this reason. Being here gives me an opportunity to see things which most others will only dream about (pertaining to Jeeps). Moreover, I am with someone who knows a thing or two about Jeeps. If there is a faintest of possibility available for me, I will be there, confirmed! Let me see, some things are in pipeline.

Spike

PS- Drawings, designs, testing etc. after some time pi***s me off, even I like to unwind (specially the Mallu way)
Old 9th January 2011, 21:59   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, I tried searching through some literatures but could not find anything on the ampere rating. Only things mentioned everywhere is:- Model- Prestolite MDU 7004, DB tells me that Lucas type are easily available. Will call you if I have some info.
Thanks man. I wanted the info to select a battery. DwArFs battery is on last legs, so thought of upgrading with a made for farm battery, but dont want an oversized one and land up paying more moolah. I think i will go with 50-60 amps for now.

And come down, we will have some fun, bangalore boys style. Mallu or non mallu, you will yenjay it

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th January 2011 at 22:00.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:41   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. I wanted the info to select a battery. DwArFs battery is on last legs, so thought of upgrading with a made for farm battery, but dont want an oversized one and land up paying more moolah. I think i will go with 50-60 amps for now.
I think you should go for that farm battery, my explorer uses the same. I hope you are referring to PowerZone 90amps battery that comes with 12 months warranty.

I must say powerzone works pretty decent and I did a lot of winching with the same battery.
Old 9th January 2011, 22:43   #375
Team-BHP Support

I wont need so much amps, for petrol CJ. Any idea which is the smallest capacity?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks