Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 18:01   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I thought coil spring are the new type?? coming in most of the new cars?
Small correction i was confused, i have diaphragm type clutch in DwArF and hence confused the springs on the clutch plate to coil spring type
Old 24th January 2011, 21:35   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small correction i was confused, i have diaphragm type clutch in DwArF and hence confused the springs on the clutch plate to coil spring type
Nooo, you are still confused!

What you have is coil spring AKA Finger type clutch. At least the Loading/pressure plate. I cant see what is inside, may be the latest friction plate.

See here

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-1.jpg

Good for you the power of the canne' is too good to overcome the shortcomings of a coil spring. Leave it as long as it works, when it goes bust, spend 4.5K for the complete kit.

PS - If the old type will fit the cane's flywheel, the new one SHOULD fit too, sounds elementary, but still lets say 99.9% it is compatible. When you are ready to change, double check with gurus then.
Old 24th January 2011, 23:14   #408
Team-BHP Support

I think its the clutch cover that is old and you are referring to, the inside stuff is new design (remember Raju also mentioning this). Anyways i have not inspected it closely, will do and confirm next time i visit the garage.
Old 25th January 2011, 07:57   #409
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the inside is mostly new coz no one (difficult to get old) sells the old type anymore. The new ones are available from as late as early 90s, so in all probability in the last 20 years surely someone would have put the new one inside, but didnt bother with the cover plate.

Last edited by svsantosh : 25th January 2011 at 07:59.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:29   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre baba which one do you suggest then, something which i can ask for in the counter (vehicle model/make)? Yes payload is not at all important. Max i will carry a passenger + 60 kg. I think the old shockies were 7.44"
Jaggu bhai, as a thumb rule for getting a good ride it is better to have a Softer spring with a Sprung mass natural frequency of 1 Hz. The suspension damper must have a low value of damping coefficient during compression and extension stroke (there is a relation between the jounce and rebound strokes too).

Don't get muddled by the fundas mentioned above (that was for academic info only), I'm compiling the data and will give you shortly.

Spike
Old 25th January 2011, 10:14   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@All: if you have access to the travel info of shocks, please share would be great.

Like to go for ones with decent articulation and ride. Gas or not.

Jaggu,

Recently, after installing the Jannaiah springs on my (wip) CJ340, changed the shocks to 'Bolero rear shocks, Gabriel', part no. S700186. Costing Rs.397.50 each.

Going by my experience on two 540's, these shock are rugged and have a longer travel. Munroe gas would translate into softer ride, but I have my apprehensions reg. their durability in off roading, the 340 is being readied mainly for this purpose.

Spike, would be able to pin point the ones I am talking about.

Regards,
Old 25th January 2011, 11:40   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I'm compiling the data and will give you shortly.
many thanks spike will wait for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Jaggu,

Recently, after installing the Jannaiah springs on my (wip) CJ340, changed the shocks to 'Bolero rear shocks, Gabriel', part no. S700186. Costing Rs.397.50 each.
Thanks Fazal saab will check on this. Price also seems to be reasonable.
Old 25th January 2011, 12:37   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Spike, would be able to pin point the ones I am talking about.
Fazal Saab, you are right. The part number mentioned by you is a Gabriel part no., these shocks have longest travel among the lot (8.24") with good damping rates and are easily available.

@Jaggu, will let you know by evening, not getting time .

Spike
Old 25th January 2011, 12:55   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'Bolero rear shocks, Gabriel', part no. S700186. Costing Rs.397.50 each
Fazal sir, since spike has aye'd this part#, can you provide us all another input also? Can you do a ramp test to the point of tipping over (1 wheel in air) and measure the fully extended and fully compressed (Eye-to-Eye) measurements?
Old 25th January 2011, 13:23   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jaggu,

Gabriel'[/i], part no. S700186. Costing Rs.397.50 each.

Going by my experience on two 540's, these shock are rugged and have a longer travel.
Regards,
How would you rate these on MM540s with standard leaf spring setup and calibration?? I would like to soften the 'thudd' behavior of my MM540s suspension on undulated roads or pot holes at slightly higher speeds. ANy recommendation would be highly appreciated.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:40   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Fazal sir, since spike has aye'd this part#, can you provide us all another input also? Can you do a ramp test to the point of tipping over (1 wheel in air) and measure the fully extended and fully compressed (Eye-to-Eye) measurements?
Santosh,
WIP is the status of my 340 as of now but will do it and try and give you the measurements without tipping over, asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Fazal Saab, you are right. The part number mentioned by you is a Gabriel part no., these shocks have longest travel among the lot (8.24") with good damping rates and are easily available.
Spike
Spike,
Thanks, I feel relieved as there was a small doubt in my mind about its reach. The dampening is pronounced though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
How would you rate these on MM540s with standard leaf spring setup and calibration?? I would like to soften the 'thudd' behavior of my MM540s suspension on undulated roads or pot holes at slightly higher speeds. ANy recommendation would be highly appreciated.
Wolf,
They should do better than 540 shocks on the standard set up, but only changing shocks without spring job may not get you the desired results.

Get your springs moped if they have not been since long. These shocks had been fitted on 540's and performed the best, hence the recommendation.
Regards,
Old 25th January 2011, 21:51   #417
Team-BHP Support

Ok came across some info regarding the various shocks available, thought would share here for you guys.

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-shock-absorber-info.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 22:55   #418
Senior - BHPian

The part#s are OE/M&M #s right? Is the 1st one same as Fazal's part#.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:04   #419
Team-BHP Support

I think Fazal's is SA 0403BA0221N?? but this is the one which is apt for CJ's, will work all around. Anyways we can confirm at Aavalaconda not to worry
Old 26th January 2011, 00:12   #420
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt, including me I have seen some of my friends also often opt to go for longer travelling shock absorber for their Jeeps claiming a better articulation. But I feel or I have a scary feeling if selecting a much longer traveling shock absorber may contribute to body roll or topple of the vehicle in an OTR environment.

I'm sure like mods like Janaiah's spring plate configuration needs little longer shock absorber to enable the spring plate's action on a articulation scenario. Question is how to choose the right shock absorber traveling distance keeping the requirement and body roll probabilities in mind ?

In the chart above I could see the original CJ3B's size as mentioned was 6.46" or 6.89", how about straight against this number with 8.24" Bolero one?

Does anyone know what is the standard SA with Mahindra Classic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks