Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 00:27   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.

How will better articulation result in topple? On the other hand wont it allow the vehicle to be more stable by allowing the axle to move further hence putting the weight to the other side?
Old 26th January 2011, 00:33   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How will better articulation result in topple? On the other hand wont it allow the vehicle to be more stable by allowing the axle to move further hence putting the weight to the other side?
Jaggu bhai, That was a question. I raised it because I don't know the answer.

What makes me to ask the question is that if one side it travelling to the maximum extent when decompressed other side will be compressed. Hence the decompressed side will have surely in an angle where gravity works against the Jeep's stability (read on an OTR ground when not in flat surface), so it could add more chances for rolling. May be I'm wrong and over thinking on an issue which may or many not be there by adding just extra length shock absorber, but this is a question anyway.

I will have to accept the axle moving further and putting the weight on the otherside, but still couldn't say if I have got the required answer I'm searching for.

Last edited by trammway : 26th January 2011 at 00:35.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:38   #423
Team-BHP Support

Yeah even am also not so clear about this and hence bouncing off my thoughts

I feel the side which is on the inside of the tilt will stop at a certain point, maybe the bump stop point, which is a constant with any shock. Unless the shock is really too long in length, in such a case articulation will be limited on the inside.

The side outside (which is lifting) will be lower compared to a stock shock due to longer travel and hence the CG will be lower???

EDIT: Am i on right track or

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th January 2011 at 00:40.
Old 26th January 2011, 00:46   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah even am also not so clear about this and hence bouncing off my thoughts

I feel the side which is on the inside of the tilt will stop at a certain point, maybe the bump stop point, which is a constant with any shock. Unless the shock is really too long in length, in such a case articulation will be limited on the inside.

The side outside (which is lifting) will be lower compared to a stock shock due to longer travel and hence the CG will be lower???

EDIT: Am i on right track or
I'm even more confused then before now...

Let me ask this way, what will happen when we replace 6.46" or 6.89" with 8.24" SA?

The compressed side aka inner side stops at lower or higher position based on it's bump stop point (certainly longer than the stock config) still be lower than the outer side aka decompressed side which will go much longer as it holds over 2" higher than the stock. So on a slope 2" may have a major roll with short wheel base vehicles that has 48.4" track width and already contributing to the gravitation issues due to the axle width. Hope I have added more confusion by saying this.

Now all I wanted to know if I increase 1.5" on my spring plate configuration (by adding extra plates or the helper plates) what should be the proportionate extra length I should buy on my shock absorber?

Last edited by trammway : 26th January 2011 at 00:53.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:06   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I'm even more confused then before now...
Same here

Quote:
The compressed side aka inner side stops at lower or higher position based on it's bump stop point (certainly longer than the stock config)
If the compressed length of longer shock is similar to stock then there should not be any changes. But if the length is longer than bump stop length then the inner side will sit higher.

Quote:
So on a slope 2" may have a major roll with short wheel base vehicles that has 48.4" track width and already contributing to the gravitation issues due to the axle width. Hope I have added more confusion by saying this.
Yup there is a tip point and it has to be calculated while taking the track width etc. But 2" increase in articulation, will it cause such a huge difference. That is my doubt???

Quote:
Now all I wanted to know if I increase 1.5" on my spring plate configuration (by adding extra plates or the helper plates) what should be the proportionate extra length I should buy on my shock absorber?
Theoretically you are increasing the body to axle height by 1.5 inch and would require same additional length/travel with the shockies??? To acheive same articulation??

In my case am not altering the body height, on the other hand i am thinking of bringing it back to stock. CJ3B site says 17" from rear bumper to road and 18.25" from front bumper.
Old 26th January 2011, 07:15   #426
Senior - BHPian

Guys, it is diffcult to debate engineering/jeeps/topple etc over the net/paper... Do the mod, take it to a offroading site and have 2 heavy guys (or tie it down to a jeep behind) holding onto the tipping over side and slowly push the jeep till the lean over angle... measure the parameters, then do a + or - adjustments later on till you get what you need.

I did that with my current shocks and I have found the answer to a long pending doubt in my own thread...

EDIT - oye, you guys are insomniacs - get some sleep...!! dont loose sleep over articulation!

Last edited by svsantosh : 26th January 2011 at 07:19.
Old 26th January 2011, 14:32   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

changed the shocks to 'Bolero rear shocks, Gabriel', part no. S700186. Costing Rs.397.50 each
Sir, can I replace my front and back shocks both with the above? I am looking at softening the ride quality and add that lil bit of additional flotation and articulation.

Thank you for replying.
Old 26th January 2011, 16:18   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Sir, can I replace my front and back shocks both with the above? I am looking at softening the ride quality and add that lil bit of additional flotation and articulation.
Wolf,
The chart posted by Jaggu, shows this particular shock grading as 'medium' with the 'longest' reach.
For the weight of 540 it is just right and the reach will give you the articulation you are looking for, it worked for me on two 540's, one with the standard spring set up and other with the Janaiah spring set up and I found the ride quality and stretch to be the best. I used them for both front and rear.

Keep in mind your springs are not flattened, and require moping.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 26th January 2011 at 16:20.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:15   #429
Senior - BHPian

Bolero rear, long shocks extended on Trammway's Classic, though maybe not at fullest.
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-dscn0040.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 31st January 2011 at 10:17.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:58   #430
BHPian

Jaggu , dont play too much with the stock suspension setting of the jeep ,especially shocks. The monroe gas shocks are known to fail very early.

The stock shocks are more than enough on articulation , for the front and rear wheels <diagonally opposite> to touch the mudguard <front> and the inner body <back>

If you want more articulation , just swap the stock axles with the mm540 51" axles front and back and see the difference.
Old 1st February 2011, 14:54   #431
Team-BHP Support

@Frankenstein: Am not planning to do any axle changes at the point of time. As i discussed with you, we are not fortunate enough to have great garages which will do end to end job without monitoring & hiccup out here in BLR. So right now ill just go with a slightly better shock and full leaf spring reset.

I was talking to UBS about the supple nature of your CJ suspension, is it running ol WW Willy, leaf's by any chance? UBS mentioned they are super soft and super strong.

Loved your jeep, just drove like a petrol car.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:17   #432
BHPian

Yes Jaggu i remember what you said and about the garages too i understood once i saw the jeeps here.

IT is using the original mahindra cj3b leaf , it has the exact number of leafs too.

The ford/mb/2a leafs have temper in them , you would call my suspension rock hard after driving a Ford.

They <ww2> become flat from a U shape ,even become an inverted U and again come back . But they work best with the Ford GPW/MB/CJ2A chassis along with the D shackle <U shackle>.

Please take a pitstop at Hyderabad , we will only do the mechanical s and suspension , and you wont be visiting garages that often .

I can send you a set of leafs from HYD , but its best if its fitted there and tested .

All he takes is 1300rs using your original leafs.
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:43   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

Are you talking about the jannaiah gentleman?
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:03   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
If the current job is not upto the mark, i will take you up on this offer. Thanks man.
Old 4th February 2011, 11:02   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Are you talking about the jannaiah gentleman?

Venky, No not Janaiah .

Jaggu any time just give me a buzz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks