Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 13:08   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Jaggu,

Some links which you will enjoy -

Magazine Articles on The CJ3B Page

PS - The Corcoran-Brown/WW2 Black Out Lights were not fitted on the Indian Military CJ3B, they had the NATO BO Lights on the Radiator Grille.

PPS - Get the Chaff/Brush Guard.
Thanks Arka, will go through them in details. Have been reading up on CJ3B page so far. The bling stuff are not my thing, i know you will kill me for taking it to OTR's but thats why i bought her for

I have the brush guard and soon it will go in.

One doubt, is it a good idea to upgrade the original fan to plastic fans with more petals? If so what would you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Jaggu,

No sweat.. that's what this forum is all about - really appreciate your inputs. Like the old saying, the journey is more enjoyable than reaching the destination. I enjoyed every bit of doing up my Jeep and got it exactly the way I wanted it (well, almost!). I liked that journey so much, I am itching to get started with the next one.

Good luck and happy journey!
Thanks once again and hope you get your pre owned gypsy or mm550 soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Sweet ride. Looks pretty neat. Seeing your posts in many a threads here somehow made me think you would buy a CJ3B. And it happened. Congratulations.
Well i always had an eye on them, but head was talking too loud. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations Jaggu. You finally got what you wanted after all that searching and a Hurricane at that. I like the new colour too. What are the upgrades you are planning? Dwarf is sure to rock the upcoming OTR's.

Drive safe and have fun Jeeper Creeper
Thanks Dips. I will update with planned work etc soon. Monday is a crazy day!

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2010 at 20:49.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,
Welcome!
As someone rightly said your troubles have just begun.
Believe me, once you are done with the restoration of your CJ3B, it is sheer pleasure for years to come.
The Hurricane engine is awesome and the whole package, the compact size of the CJ, its handling and maneuverability, the power to weight ratio and the very silent Hurricane and its dependability are second to none.
Personally, I would rate the CJ3B as the very best Jeep. Ask DKG.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 15th March 2010 at 13:27.
Old 15th March 2010, 13:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Metal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks Arka, will go through them in details. Have been reading up on CJ3B page so far. The bling stuff are not my thing, i know you will kill me for taking it to OTR's but thats why i bought her for

I have the brush guard and soon it will go in.

One doubt, is it a good idea to upgrade the original fan to plastic fans with more petals? If so what would you suggest?
Hi Jaggu,

Stick to the Metal Fan, also check the Radiator Top House Outlet on the Engine Block for the Thermostat and remove it for the Hotter months.

The Metal Fan has an unique sound to it.

Otherwise try to get a FC150's Metal Fan, has a few more Leaves.

For a while I was using a Premier 118NE's Plastic Fan, was a straight fit, but after the rebuild I went back to the Metal Fan.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th March 2010, 13:50   #34
BHPian

Cheta, take care of your swift as wel. it wil feel lonely from now onwards. but now on you can never feel lonely on any weekends or whenever there is no work or nothing to do. The JEEP will keep you busy.

@Archit: dude from now on you will be noticing your ex where ever you go in your gypsy
Old 15th March 2010, 13:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Personally, I would rate the CJ3B as the very best Jeep. Ask DKG.
Regards,
Thanks Fazal, DKG's words sealed the deal for me.

Now some quick updates on what is being done:

- Full mechanical check up and overhaul, replacement parts are preferred as much as possible. So far so good.

- Steering, the old box has been chucked out since it has already a catch in some position. New one goes in.

- Suspension is being checked and completely set up.

- Axles are dismantled and check/replace parts and assembled back with new lubricants

- Brakes, complete overhaul it was badly jammed with mismatched shoes. Checking master cylinder and if its being replaced go with an upgraded kit.

- Engine check, see if oil pump is working proper. Fit an oil pressure meter. Set points, Carb, water pump belt, New oil etc. New filters. Water pump is new, changing all rubber pipes though.

- Radiator flush, fit new hoses, install a overflow tank for coolant.

- Fan upgrade, thinking of plastic ones with more fins. Ideas
suggestion?

- Full electrical check up, wiring is new just ensuring everything works. New head light assembly etc Upgrade horn

- Electronic pump being added, need to see how to install so that its saved from the elements. The petrol tube comes out from underneath the body and this is something i need to work out, if a re-route through the inside is possible so that filter and electronic pump can be placed close to the tank, without harm. Ideas/Suggestion?

- Gear box and tranny seems to be in good shape, checking it up and newfluids. If it needs work how about an upgrade to 4 speed one?

- Fix the brush guard and soft top

Have given a long list to the mech and these are things that i remember.

EDIT: @Arka: ok will leave the fan as it is for now. I think thermostat is removed already, since it take a while for the vehicle to reach running temperature. Also any disadvantages with plastic fans?

@Star: Swift also requires minor tightening up, waiting for jeep to come out, so that i can leave the swift with my trusted person for a day or two.

I dont know how much i should thank Suresh, finding a reliable mech who knows jeep was a big thing for me in BLR.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2010 at 13:57.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

New Fluids

Quote:
- Axles are dismantled and check/replace parts and assembled back with new lubricants

- Gear box and tranny seems to be in good shape, checking it up and newfluids. If it needs work how about an upgrade to 4 speed one?

- Fix the brush guard and soft top

EDIT: @Arka: ok will leave the fan as it is for now. I think thermostat is removed already, since it take a while for the vehicle to reach running temperature. Also any disadvantages with plastic fans?
Hi Jaggu,

New Fluids = any GL5 85W140 for Diffs/G-Box/T-Case.

No Problems with the Plastic Fan, but availability.

For 4 Speed you will need a MM440's Bell-Housing and a KMT90, otherwise a adapter plate will do the trick.

The 4 Speed is a very useful addition, because of its Lower 1st and 2nd Gear Ratios.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th March 2010, 19:39   #37
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Arka, noting down the grade of oil. Regarding the fan am not hurrying with it now, since i have time to check out, summer just started

Regarding the gearbox, i got this idea originally from Suresh, didn't have a chance to discuss in details and your inputs kinda cleared my doubts

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Great to see more pictures of the beauty. And the new colour does looks so much better. Car looks so much sharper. Congrats Jaggu, you bought the right car!!
I missed out replying early to you DKG I have to really thank you for the push start, till i spoke to you i always had doubts about this purchase. You and your escapades with the CJ convinced me, though this jeep is nowhere close to yours my aim would be to bring it closer, slow and steady.

How i wish you were in BLR

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2010 at 20:52.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:09   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How i wish you were in BLR
Always a call away ! BTW with that great highway between us you will see me more often in BLR.

Jaggu the more I use the CJ3B I am convinced this was really a very well sorted out Jeep and you really don't need to change anything. Although many people recommended I upgrade to bigger hubs being so light she stops perfectly with the stock drums.

I also kinda like the three speeder. The ratios are just so well spaced out. In town I love lugging the Jeep in top gear and second takes care of 90% of the gradients. The lack of synchro is the only hitch with first but you can live with it.

My personal opinion is keep the Jeep as stock as possible. Spend all your cash in making sure the mechanicals are fully sorted out.

Believe me if someone asks me to drive up to Kashmir I won't hesitate to take it out in a hours notice. Once sorted out this car is simply too simple to get buggered.

Funny as it sounds the whole Jeep is so simple that its almost illogical for it to break down provided you sort out all the usual bits.

For summer I have also added the electric fuel pump, will have a dual line from the tank, one straight to the mechanical and another for the electric. When connected in series I noticed its causing the mechanical to fail earlier than it did before I installed the electric. BTW the failure is on account of the fuel vapourising(boiling/percolating?) due to excess heat. I am toying with the idea of adding a small scoop so cool air gets directed onto the fuel pump. Right now the hot air sucked through the radiator gets blown directly onto the pump. BTW the age old remedy of a wet cloth can keep the mechanical buzzing perfectly, provided you need to stop every 15-20 kms to re wet the cloth. Just learnt this when coming back from Nirmal last weekend

One other thing I am told to expect to fail is the coil when its fixed onto the block as per original fitting. A lot of people warn me to take it off the engine as it too apparently fails in summer. I have this thing about keeping things original (even fitment) and while I have had to learn through experience the story of failing fuel pumps in summer I still am stubbornly waiting to see if the coil will survive on the block. Maybe will add some fibre washers. But logically if it goes onto the firewall it should stay cooler !

In summary if your fuel delivery and electrics are well sorted this is a trouble free car Jaggu. Take it from a fan whose just done 7000 kms (half of which is on highways doing a steady 80 kmph) since the hurricane got put in.

And the best part is the Hurricane doesn't tire you. After a 10 hour drive you still feel fresh !!

BTW like Arka mentioned I was also asked to find the FC metal fan, apparently it throws more air. I currently have the original metal. I can see that in summer it will run hot.

Last edited by DKG : 15th March 2010 at 22:14.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:32   #39
Team-BHP Support

Yes Deepak i will be following your advices. The electric pump is it runnig all the while? or have you kept it as an aux/back up? in series set up, which i assume you have now.

Coil i already on the side fender so heat shouldn't cause an issue, am not sure if this was a standard thing for the M&M CJ3B's. Maybe DB or Spike can throw some light. Have observed most M&M CJB's to have it on the fender or firewall.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th March 2010 at 00:34.
Old 16th March 2010, 02:27   #40
BHPian

Wow

Congratulation Jaggu. More pics
Old 16th March 2010, 07:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Deepak i will be following your advices. The electric pump is it runnig all the while? or have you kept it as an aux/back up? in series set up, which i assume you have now.

Coil i already on the side fender so heat shouldn't cause an issue, am not sure if this was a standard thing for the M&M CJ3B's. Maybe DB or Spike can throw some light. Have observed most M&M CJB's to have it on the fender or firewall.
Jaggu,

The electric pump is push type: meaning, the fuel that reaches it gets pushed upstream. It is better to keep it away from the heat in the firewall and fender area that is close to the engine. The mounting orientation of the fuel pump is also important. The fuel lines coming in and exiting should be horizontal. Some people mount it on the firewall vertically or at an angle and this is not the optimal position.

I have mounted mine on the chassis just below the fuel tank and it has been working well. The fuel flow down from the fuel tank by gravity and gets pushed up to the manual pump which then regulates the fuel flow.

My manual fuel tank is very weak, so I leave my electric fuel pump on all the time. But, if you have a good manual pump, you can install the electric pump with a separate switch to turn on only when needed.

I can send you pictures if you want.
Old 16th March 2010, 09:47   #42
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, my doubt is towards the running of the pump. And please upload the photos

If running it continuous along with mechanical pump, causes problem for the mechanical pump? Asking since DKG mentioned that his mechanical pump showed symptoms of failure, much earlier when connected in series.

In that case i would prefer to add a switch for electronic pump. Maybe even get two Y connectors installed to make it inline but parallel circuits

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th March 2010 at 09:48.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu / Deepak - For the benefit of all, I will post complete guidelines for fitting, locating and plumbing the electronic fuel pump suitable for your CJ3Bs shortly. I am in the midst of Thar homologation, therefore not getting time at all. I will be grateful if you can please wait for a couple of days. Please do not take any shortcuts, as summer increases, only correctly oriented system will work.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th March 2010, 14:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know how much i should thank Suresh, finding a reliable mech who knows jeep was a big thing for me in BLR.
Jaggu - Looks like I missed you by a few minutes. I came to the Dwarfs place and got to check it out. It looks cool. Still some work left eh? Also saw RedLiners and Suresh's jeep. Hope to catch you next time...
Old 16th March 2010, 14:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Behram. Fuel line work has not started yet. Right now my idea is to put her under the body, close to fuel tank with a filter before. This will go direct to mechanical pump. Powering up will be by a separate switch to control the usage only when required

@santhosh: I was there till noon, Nishanth and Sundeep also had dropped by. Will catch up with you soon.

Update: brake master cylinder goes, new double cylinder with separate reservoir tank on firewall procured. Brake drums are at lathe, new pads being plonked in. Steering box awaited. Engine seems to be in good shape so far, plugs are clean. Have to open the valve cover and check though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks