Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 22:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
More fuel for the engine is also not good, 120 Jets should work wonderful.

More fuel also does'nt result in more power, wrong impression by every mechanic. 34 BC carb must use =90 slow speed jet and 115 Standard Main Jet, also change the idle jet spring, and kindly short the choke butterfly.

A radiator overhaul is a must for petrol jeeps since a 3 speed gearbox, the engine gets hot as it cannot run in its full breath.
I have an RCL and that came with a 140 main jet as standard. At least thats what was in my Jeep.
Old 26th March 2010, 23:05   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I have an RCL and that came with a 140 main jet as standard. At least thats what was in my Jeep.
Gogi bhai is correct, main jet size is 140 (standard).

Spike
Old 27th March 2010, 00:08   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
By calculations it comes to 59 deg, IIRC I saw it mentioned as 60 deg somewhere. How do you set points? First set them and then check through dwell angle meter or set it using a dwell angle meter itself? Please tell the procedure you follow.

Spike
I haven't set points in my jeep, mech does it the age old way and i have no clue. Plan to take it to another garage who has the meter and timing light to do it proper and hence collecting the info. Later on i plan to buy a meter. Last i set points was on an RD 350 and we had devised a unique way of doing it with multimeters

Quote:
Gogi bhai is correct, main jet size is 140 (standard).

Spike
Yes gogi this is what all the jeep experts i spoke to have advised also.
Old 27th March 2010, 08:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Wow, just seen this thread. Was guessing a gypsy [blame those FB] and here comes the CJ.

Congrats Sir. The color is too good. Good luck and happy JEEPing!

Its Summer, too hot . Waiting for the rain
Old 27th March 2010, 10:13   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I haven't set points in my jeep, mech does it the age old way and i have no clue. Plan to take it to another garage who has the meter and timing light to do it proper and hence collecting the info. Later on i plan to buy a meter. Last i set points was on an RD 350 and we had devised a unique way of doing it with multimeters

Yes gogi this is what all the jeep experts i spoke to have advised also.
Mr UBS and his expert advice. I had followed in his foot steps during one of my jeep restorations, i gained lot of knowledge about the Go-Devil and the hurricane engines then.

Hope this will help

Regarding the Solex carb, there are many possible main jets available, but the std. Hurricane motor Jeeps from Mahindra, sold to civilians, carried a 127.5 jet.
The military versions often used 140 in their jeeps, maybe for some more gas in high mountains.
I have tried 125, 120, 117.5 and in one 4X4 hurricane even put 115 and got fairly good results. More than the jet size, it is the butterfly which determines the performance in Solex with pump.
If you get an old carb. with original butterfly, then the air/gas mixture can be adjusted properly and that will give a vast improvement over a bad carb.
Most of the rebuilt butterfly carbs, will have gas fumes when the engine is switched off, resulting in late start etc.
Should be happy using a 127.5 for best offroading and city drives in an original carb in a tropical area. I always prefer a vacumm advance connected to a jeep using a TVS distributor.

More on jeep engine performance as per your queries.

Wish you all the best,
yours....................................... UBS

It sometimes amazes me about this mans knowledge on Jeeps. Hats off Sir.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 27th March 2010 at 10:15.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:23   #141
Team-BHP Support

Funny part this is exactly what i have in my jeep, 130 jets, vacuum advance distributor (from lucas though) and no starting issues so far. (Touch wood). Only thing i need to double check, if the advance system is working proper.

Big thanks Pavan and UBS the jeep guru for the info
Old 27th March 2010, 12:29   #142
Team-BHP Support

Help help help!

Need valve spring for exhaust side, one was replaced by last garage and it's not woriginal and hence weak and making sound. So any leads would be appreciated, am ok with buying a whole set if that's an option.

Swalpa help
Old 27th March 2010, 12:39   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Help help help!

Need valve spring for exhaust side, one was replaced by last garage and it's not woriginal and hence weak and making sound. So any leads would be appreciated, am ok with buying a whole set if that's an option.

Swalpa help
Petrol jeep (Hurricane Engine) spares are available with Mr Ravi 9342284541, Popular Auto. Call him, he might be able to help you.

Usually mechanics have the tendecy to use Petro Amby valve springs, which actually is a similar and OE fit.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:10   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Petrol jeep (Hurricane Engine) spares are available with Mr Ravi 9342284541, Popular Auto. Call him, he might be able to help you.

Usually mechanics have the tendecy to use Petro Amby valve springs, which actually is a similar and OE fit.
or try 9845439906, General Automobiles in J.C Road. he has some old stock left with him for petrol jeeps. he is trying to clear it from a decade. try your luck.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:39   #145
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, no luck in BLR though Popular will check in Kerala and update. Meanwhile the propeller sound is sorted out 90%.

More updates tomorrow
Old 28th March 2010, 11:44   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Help help help!

Swalpa help
I was there when Raju opened your valve cover. Spring was so weak that i could press it down with my finger. Then we removed the spark plug wire of that cylinder and there wasn't any change in engine sound (When we removed the other 3 plug wires one by one, there was a change in engine sound and tuning) , that means, firing is not proper in that cylinder due to this faulty spring. Why don't you talk to UBS sir? i am sure he would be able to send you at least one as a stop gap arrangement. I would suggest you to change all four together if you have the luck to procure 4 brand new springs.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 28th March 2010, 11:48   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, no luck in BLR though Popular will check in Kerala and update. Meanwhile the propeller sound is sorted out 90%.

More updates tomorrow
Jaggu, For Hurricane parts I think Delhi is the best not kerala. Contact bhpians renegade, harjeev or diesel_maniac, they can give you contacts or get you parts.
Shibu
Old 28th March 2010, 12:46   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
C.B. Point gap 0.50 mm for Prestolite, 0.40 mm for Lucas-TVS

P.S. Compression pressure is 135 psi, Idle speed for tune up is 600 rpm, Valve opening overlap is 21 deg, cam angle is different for Prestolite and Lucas-TVS distributors
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Jaggu the CJ3B specs list the recommended dwell at 40. Have set the points to this setting and it seems to suit it. BTW you will find a wealth of info here on the CJ3B:

The CJ3B Page
Jaggu, it would be interesting to know this discrepancy. If you set the CB point gap as mentioned in the above website, you will automatically get a dwell angle (at least close to) mentioned in the website i.e. 40, or else the specification is incorrect for your application (Lucas TVS). Otherwise, if you set the CB gap as mentioned by me you must get a dwell angle of 60 deg. Ideal CB point gaps are found by engineers after lots of trial on dwell angles. Please let me know your findings.

Gurus please correct me if I am wrong.

Spike
Old 28th March 2010, 15:08   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please go ahead, this was color combo i wanted if i ever did a paint job. It was inspired from ICON CJ3B Limited Edition | ICON

Ensure you go for mat finish or it will look odd.

never realized the ICON CJ3B was already on the radar. I put up a thread on the ICON CJ3B. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...j3b-build.html
Old 28th March 2010, 15:08   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - dwell angle for D4 family of distributors as used in all old generation vehicles is 60 degrees (cam profile is same for all). You must use a condenser having a 0.25 micro farad capacitance also. Use a capacitance meter to measure this value or use a multimeter which can measure capacitance. As a rule of thumb, a 15 thou point gap (0.375 mm, rounded off to 0.4 mm or 16 thou) will give you approximately 60 degrees of dwell angle. I have observed that the distributor tolerates upto 50 degrees dwell angle and the car runs properly, provided static ignition timing is set to specification, which for F4/134 is 5 degrees BTDC. You may use this information as required. One more important information, please use PA12 ignition coil without ballast resistor. Please DO NOT use carbon core spark plug high tension wires. Please use metal core spark plug wires. Please ensure that all joints are soldered properly. Please DO NOT use radio suppressor kit.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed