Here are some pics of the hood!

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-image_191.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-image_192.jpg
Old 28th May 2010, 19:49   #47
AVR
BHPian

EXAMM Preparations & AKC

Guys,

Just signed up for the two events and now begins the task of getting the Jeep prepared for the long trip (624 Km as per Google Maps) and have never done something even 1/5th as long in the Jeep so far so here are the questions:

1) Engine cooling: I need to refill water pretty much every few times I use it. Takes about half a liter every time. If I get it cleaned and put Coolant, will I still have to check it on a regular basis? My Safari radiator never needs to be checked. how frequent will it be with the Jeep?
2) What are the checks that I need to have done a few days before I leave?
3) What spares should I carry along? (e.g. fanbelts, etc)
4) What are perceived issues that I need to monitor in course of a long journey?
5) What else do I need to know?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 8th October 2010, 15:04   #48
AVR
BHPian

Been a while since I posted an update:
Since coming back from EXAMM/AKC, have been trying to stress test the jeep i.e. not proactively solving any issues and just using it the way it is to help understand what are the things that go wrong first. Am quite impressed with the fact that apart from a few niggles it just keeps on going. Posting a few pics from some offroading:

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-16082010204.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-16082010206.jpg

Issues since July:

1) Starter motor - Harassed us on the way to Lonavala and continued after coming back. Got the starter serviced but there's still a kach-kach sound at times but didn't do anything about it.

2) Water pump failure - Hey I couldn't have been the only jeep without an overheating issue. So in keeping with its fraternity, the water pump developed a leak and went kaput one fine morning in the middle of a sanctuary. Had gone all the way so drove around the sanctuary with water and a constant eye on the needle. Luckily never crossed 80 degrees and came back home and changed the water pump assembly.

Things I don't like:

1) Brakes - They cease to exist during the rains or after driving through a puddle
2) Clutch - My left leg started paining after I once used the Jeep as a daily drive for a month.

Modifications (done and planned)
1) Brakes - Basic drum brake system being upgraded to drums with a brake booster kit from the Bolero. Required a change from regular alternator to one which supports a vacuum pump. Also changed floor pedals to suspended pedals

2) Clutch - Changed to a cable type mechanism from the linkage style

3) Planned - Longer shackles - Just picked up a set from Swastikviji and am planning to get them fitted with new shock absorbers. Saw the ones for the Scorpio from Gabriel. Might go for these or the Bolero ones with longer travel.

4) (Much planned) - Much-elusive tyres - Budget constraints keep pulling me back from picking up the 31" Maxxis Bighorns but soon will go for them and replace *those* tyres.

On a visit to San Jose, ended up wandering into a 4wheel parts shop and boy did I ogle! The guys there were quite interested in knowing about the Mahindra jeeps and I also showed them some pics of my 540 (akin to their cj5/7) and told them about the Tbhp fraternity. Well, couldn't really pick up much for the Jeep except an inclinometer and the latest catalog (something to help dreaming)

Coming back to the Jeep, am planning to redo it up completely next summer where I might consider some engine options too. While the Thar will be available by then (quite confident!) the process of the engine transplant is what seems more interesting to me and should keep me busy

Talking about keeping busy, next month I also start to restore a family friend's 1970 CJ3B with the hurricane engine from ground up. Offered to buy it but the only reward I get for doing it up is that I get to keep it for the first month or so to drive around . A hurricane petrol will be quite a respite from the noisy Peugeot! Can't hardly wait!!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 00:13   #49
AVR
BHPian

The Mother of all updates!

Well, Finally, few things on my to-do list for the Jeep happened.

1) Tyres - A fellow offroader said "You know you are a Jeeper....When you think Mud Tyres are the most beautiful things that man ever made...." Been eyeing the bighorns for as far as I can remember. Finally picked up bighorns and had them fitted yesterday! Jeep looks so purposeful now! There's something about Mud terrains that tugs the heart!
2) Shackles & Shocks - Fitting bighorns required some lift to maintain good articulation. Thanks to Swastikviji, got the dogbone shackles fitted along with the MM Savari shocks. Ride's fairly good. Also given old shocks were well past their expiry date, the ride feels better!
3) Steering - Bigger tyres ensured I do something about it but not a great fan of PS on a Jeep. Options include OKBJ. Read Arka's thread multiple times but remained dense about it so gave up. Finally fitted the Maxx pickup steering gearbox and am very happy with the Steering. While not close to PS, the steering is as comfortable as i want it to be and better than the stock 540 setup.

On a side note, with Savari shocks, Maxx steering and what all from the famous "MM parts bin" I now know what the guys who put together the Thar would feel. Great to have such improvised interchangeability between all the MM products

Now for the pics. Better ones in a day or so!
Tyres:
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011384.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011364.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011386.jpg

Steering:
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011370.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011371.jpg

Shackles:
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011373.jpg

Shocks:
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-27052011372.jpg

Still somethings need to be sorted including:
1) Tyres foul on full turns so need to get the turn-stop thing sorted. I believe there is a way of reducing the turning radius so that the fouling stops
2) Current FC rims may not work for tubeless so currently running on tubes but will shift to new Gypsy rims on Monday.
3) Had to take the front bumper off as you see in the first pic. Was getting too close to the tyres. Either get it straightened or removed.

Next steps:
Half-doors, Snorkel and some more power

Last edited by AVR : 29th May 2011 at 00:15. Reason: typos
Old 29th May 2011, 08:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

re: Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!

AVR, your Shackles holding the springs at the front end are not fitted properly. The Nylock / Jam nut threads must come out some more. Which cross bolts are you using? Also use washers.

How much did the steering gear cost you?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 09:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Aditya,

congratulations on the transformation.
Your 540 looks good with new shoes and ready for AKC and EXXAM.
Regards,
Old 29th May 2011, 11:50   #52
BHPian

Re: The Mother of all updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post

3) Steering - Bigger tyres ensured I do something about it but not a great fan of PS on a Jeep. Options include OKBJ. Read Arka's thread multiple times but remained dense about it so gave up. Finally fitted the Maxx pickup steering gearbox and am very happy with the Steering. While not close to PS, the steering is as comfortable as i want it to be and better than the stock 540 setup.
@AVR - with the Maxx pickup steering setup - did you end up cutting / making a hole in the chassis (crossmember?)
Can you please provide some more detail on the steering setup ?

Thanks !
Old 30th May 2011, 10:17   #53
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
AVR, your Shackles holding the springs at the front end are not fitted properly. The Nylock / Jam nut threads must come out some more.
Yes I noticed but didn't pursue that thought. Will get it checked. Thanks Spike!
Which cross bolts are you using? No idea. Any specific ones I should be using? Also use washers.

How much did the steering gear cost you?
New Steering G/B - 3500
Bell Crank Assembly - 950
Tie Rod - 450
Column Pipe Tie Rod - 650
Labour - 800
Total - 6350

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Aditya,

congratulations on the transformation.
Your 540 looks good with new shoes and ready for AKC and EXXAM.
Regards,
Thanks Fazalbhai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
@AVR - with the Maxx pickup steering setup - did you end up cutting / making a hole in the chassis (crossmember?)
Can you please provide some more detail on the steering setup ?

Thanks !
Details in terms of costs given above lugnut. IIRC No hole was made in the chassis. I think this setup is an awesome mod and strongly recommend it if you are evaluating it as an option. Only concern is that I have never been used to such sharp steering response on a Jeep before so it takes a little time to get used to it.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:39   #54
AVR
BHPian

Have driven the Jeep for about 400 kms since the last set of changes. Few things since the last set of mods:

Arka enlightened me about what actually was done on my steering sitting a thousand miles away

1) Steering setup is the UJ XLO type. While that fact may have been corrected, it still remains very easy to drive inspite of the Bighorns. Actually much easier than what it was earlier.
2) Steering turn limit: With the Gypsy rims, I had tyres fouling with the leaf springs on full turns. Have had the turn limit enforced so now there is no fouling. I think this has worked out pretty well for me. People forced to evaluate alloys because of 31" tyres should look up this option. Thanks to Kandisa!
3) Cracked radiator resulted in engine gasket blowing off. Ended up changing the rings and the gasket. Only issue now is that once the engine is off it won't start till it cools down. Caused a few issues at the OTR.
4) Had a new radiator installed due to a crack in the old one. New one has been handling the Ahmedabad heat very well by maintaining temperature at 80 always. Funnily its working on a very diluted combination of water and coolant. Have been waiting for the water to refill it with Coolant but no luck with that so far. The radiator is that good.

Sunday was OTR time. Same place where I went first after my 4wd conversion. Some pics.

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-1.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-8.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-13.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-15.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-16.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-17.jpg

Pending stuff include:
1) Spare tire tail gate setup will need to be changed before I fit the 31" tyre as I don't think current one can take the load
2) Conveniences - Long-distance travel may require me to setup a cooler box and a few other things.
3) Half-door - Still not sure if I should go in for doors. What do you guys think?
4) Towing shackles front and rear and towing rope
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 17:08   #55
AVR
BHPian

Warning: Long post!

Things added/changed so far:
1) 2wd to 4wd setup
2) Stock steering to Armada style
3) Bigger radiator
4) Longer dogbone shackles with longer travel shocks
5) Brake booster setup
6) 6.00x16 crossplies > 235/75R15 JK Brute 4x4 > 31x10.5R15 Maxxis Bighorns
7) Topless to Soft-top
8) Too-lazy-to-do-anything weekends > TGIS-now-spend-time-with-Jeep-mechanics

I looked at my Jeep and thought that now pretty much everything's been changed/fiddled/enhanced now. Pretty much. Ah! Nothing has been done to the Engine! Chalo let's do that now.

I have the XDP4.90 with 4.88 crown ratios. Works well, goes most places I tried taking it but the idea of a more powerful engine has been on my mind for a couple of reasons:
1) Primarily, More power (duh!)
2) Importantly, Keeda to do an engine swap and learn more about a Jeep!

Engine Options considered:
1) XD3P - simple swap but marginal increase in power
2) Scorpio SZ2600 - found one with the 4wd NGT520 g/b but deal fizzled out
3) Scorpio 2.6 CRDe - found one with the 4wd NGT530 g/b - asking for 80K plus my old engine and g/b - felt it a bit more pricier
4) Toyota 14B - Had read Allan's thread and talked to him and Tejas. Very tempting. Scope for further upgrade later with a Turbo. Decided.

Decided to stick to the KMT-90 gearbox for the swap. May change the crown-pinion from 4.88 to something higher like 4.27 if I feel the need for more speed.

Timeline:
Wanted to do it before EXAMM but thanks to an extremely quick turnaround time from my Jeep mechanic the Jeep will only get done this week.
> Mid-June - Found the 14B and picked it up - Needed overhauling.
> Last week of June - waited for mechanic to come and pick up the vehicle "Aaj shaam ko jeep le jaata hoon"
> First week of July - waited for mechanic to come and pick up the vehicle "Aaj shaam ko jeep le jaata hoon"
> Second week of July - Mechanic came and took the Jeep only to park it at his garage and slowly starts the engine rebuild
> Third week of July - Give him grief about making me miss EXAMM with my Jeep

> Since then - Work in progress. Good part is that mechanic has not taken a single vehicle in his garage since he started the swap as he wants to only focus on this job.

Now time for some pics:

Found the engine at the local scrapyard:
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-18062011394.jpg

Adaptor Plate - Notice that it uses the stock bell housing of the 14B with only a flat plate connected with Allen bolts.
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-21072011412.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-21072011413.jpg
The engine had to be moved back a bit resulting in the firewall being cut as shown below

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011419.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011420.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011421.jpg

The oil sump had to be cut as it would have fouled with the front propeller shaft
Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-29072011418.jpg

The clearing between the engine sump and front differential and propeller shaft

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011423.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011424.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-30072011425.jpg

Along with the engine swap, getting a hydraulic clutch setup also done. More pics and details in a day or two once the vehicle is ready.

Expectations:
Can't wait to drive this thing! Some back-of-the-envelope calculations say that my Jeep will now essentially be like an Automatic in the city. Put it into 4th gear and drive around town

Open topics:
1) Chassis strengthening - Want to do that once I drive it for a few days once. Thinking of the extra cross-member layout as discussed in another thread.
2) Higher engine weight - Adding 1 extra leaf to front leaf-springs
3) Axles - Sticking to stock axles. Will fit FC axles in a few weeks/when axles break (whichever is earlier)

Last edited by AVR : 4th August 2011 at 17:10. Reason: formatting
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 17:47   #56
BHPian

Hey,
Nice work, will take inputs from you next year ,Waiting to see your Jeep in Action soon.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Engine Options considered:
1) XD3P - simple swap but marginal increase in power
2) Scorpio SZ2600 - found one with the 4wd NGT520 g/b but deal fizzled out
3) Scorpio 2.6 CRDe - found one with the 4wd NGT530 g/b - asking for 80K plus my old engine and g/b - felt it a bit more pricier
4) Toyota 14B - Had read Allan's thread and talked to him and Tejas. Very tempting. Scope for further upgrade later with a Turbo.

Decided to stick to the KMT-90 gearbox for the swap. May change the crown-pinion from 4.88 to something higher like 4.27 if I feel the need for more speed.

The engine had to be moved back a bit resulting in the firewall being cut as

3) Axles - Sticking to stock axles. Will fit FC axles in a few weeks/when axles break (whichever is earlier)

please PM me the prices for engines & GB's along with FC axles.

why the engine move?
(for weight balance?)
(or due to stock foundations on engine?)

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 5th August 2011 at 09:25.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:08   #58
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Rahul. Am eager to see it in action myself would be an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
please PM me the prices for engines & GB's along with FC axles.
@Nikhil - will put up the prices here itself. These vary so much by availability and condition of specific engines but can serve as ballpark estimates. All the engines below would require an overhaul even though dealer would proclaim you don't need it when he's selling it
Engine prices I got:
1) XD3P - 15-25K
2) SZ2600 - 60K. Not sure if true but dealer mentioned it could also be mated with the BA-10 which would add 15-25K to the costs and NGT-520 which would be 25-35K
3) Scorpio 2.6 CRDe - 80K with gearbox NGT-530 plus would take away my XDP4.90 +KMT-90 so roughly 1.05-1.15L
4) Toyota 13B - not an option I considered but was offered for 45K
5) Toyota 14B - 35K to 70K. Cheaper ones looked dicey and had missing parts.

Have not enquired about the costs of the FC axles as yet but i have been told they are available.

Depending on the engine you would end up spending atleast 15-25K to do it up and put together missing parts and things like starter motors, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
why the engine move?
(for weight balance?)
(or due to stock foundations on engine?)

rgds,
Nikhil
Let me correct myself here. Engine wasn't moved back. Being a bigger engine, it resulted in the firewall being cut as I was using the same engine mount locations for the 14B.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Adi

Last edited by AVR : 5th August 2011 at 10:09. Reason: added info
Old 11th May 2012, 18:34   #59
AVR
BHPian

Since the last few months, the Jeep has been with a friend for the bodywork and a few other mods as listed below:

1) Tinkering and Paint - Not decided on color yet
2) Spare tire carrier - Fixing the rear tailgate and getting a carrier fitted which will be directly connected to the chassis ends
3) Shifting fuel tank to the top - Eliminates the risk of any leaks/bumps to the tank and the fuel line will now go over the floor rather than under the floor. Now the fuel tank will be right behind the front facing seats on the top of the body.
4) Chassis strengthening - Post 14B as a precaution, adding cross-beams to the chassis right behind the transfer-case and at the front ahead/below the radiator grille
5) Replacing side-facing seats with a front facing small seat
6) Tilt windscreen slightly more to get a more swept back look
7) Remove the ugly indicators on the fenders and place them below the headlights or on the bonnet a la G-wagen
8) Add snorkel for water-wading. I put Jeep before self here as it doesn't have doors so I'll be all wet but the engine will breathe through the snorkel

Some pics of the work in progress. They also give a clear view of the engine/gb setup post the 14B transplant for those are interested.

Cheers,
Adi

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012516.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012517.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012518.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012519.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012520.jpg

Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!-11052012521.jpg

Last edited by AVR : 11th May 2012 at 18:35. Reason: added info
Old 7th July 2012, 11:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Taking the Plunge, bought an MM540DP. EDIT : Now with 14B!

A very nice read so far, AVR. Please post updates.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks