Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 00:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bolero CRDe Storm - Why the Thar ???

Well i myself am a fan of the Boleros looks, especially if it sports off roading tyres and in black.

The only disappointing factor is its grossly underpowered engine, which leaves me bewildered at time
Old 27th December 2010, 08:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thar CRDe 4WD - Why not the Bolero Storm 4WD ???

He is a Jeep Thrills Moderator, formerly known as Hurricane Vivek. The Hurricane has moved on though.

He has the unique of honour of opening the very first Jeep thread on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2010 at 14:13. Reason: Removing quoted post which is on the way to deletion
Old 27th December 2010, 09:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In my opinion, Mahindra should launch the Bolero Storm 4WD or the Scorpio SLX 4WD at a resonable price with the same engine & features as the Scorpio 2WD SLX. When I was buying my Scorpio 4WD, I was forced to go for the VLX as the SLE 4WD came with the older 2.6 CRDe engine and without ABS at 1.5 Lakhs more than the 2WD version.

If you look at the number of people who have bought 4x4 safaris on this forum, we can see that there is definitely a market. Mahindra just has to make a fairly priced and speced vehicle and prevent the dealers from discouraging potential customers from buying 4WD version cause they want to get rid of the 2WD version lying in the lot/yard.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:36   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

agree completely
some of us do want the capability of 4WD, safety features like ABS, Airbags, EBD (if available) and so on, but can happily dispense with the electronic gizmos and the cosmetic, external, rubbishy bling that M&M seem to be focussing on, more than ever these days.
If only they would take note, they can easily make the 4WD version along with the safety features available across the various trim levels of the Scorpio - which would really be the sensible thing to do. Same logic goes for the Bolero Crde Storm.

I think they would be pleasantly surprised at the sales results that they will see - mostly on account of the excellent reliable platforms that they have created in the Scorpio and Bolero - both of which have earned their stripes 'in the field'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In my opinion, Mahindra should launch the Bolero Storm 4WD or the Scorpio SLX 4WD at a resonable price with the same engine & features as the Scorpio 2WD SLX.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th December 2010 at 09:48.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In my opinion, Mahindra should launch the Bolero Storm 4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If only they would take note, they can easily make the 4WD version along with the safety features available across the various trim levels of the Scorpio - which would really be the sensible thing to do. Same logic goes for the Bolero Crde Storm.

I think they would be pleasantly surprised at the sales results that they will see - mostly on account of the excellent reliable platforms that they have created in the Scorpio and Bolero - both of which have earned their stripes 'in the field'.
+1 to both.

The Bolero VLX 4X4 will be a killer product and will get lot of sales. But will it be done anytime soon? NO! Because it will cannibalise a lot of Scorpio sales. And I guess thats why its been made clear by the M&M R&D that its development is not there in the near horizon!
Old 27th December 2010, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Re: Thar CRDe 4WD - Why not the Bolero Storm 4WD ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He is a Jeep Thrills Moderator, formerly known as Hurricane Vivek. The Hurricane has moved on though.

He has the unique of honour of opening the very first Jeep thread on Team-BHP.
Formerly known? I didnt realise my ID had a change. The Hurricane (RHD) had moved on giving way to another LHD in the Western Ghats which awaits its master.

The name remains. Out here in North I am planning to get my hands dirtly on a diesel considering the petrol head that I am. Want to go and pick an Ex-Army Jeep and work on it after this winter is over.

My new job requires me to visit our manufacturing plants (we manufacture Automotive components) spread across the world for ERP implementations. You can imagine the accessories I come across.

Hope the Mahindra guys wake up and give the Storm a go-ahead. This will be the base for the expedition vehicle.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:31   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In our country no manufacturer has even scratched the surface of the marketplace.

there is so much potential here that I believe that both products will sell side by side - different strokes for different folks.

Anyway since 4WD is made on Build On Order basis I really dont see why M&M cannot offer it to consumers.

Serious consumers will order it, wait for it to be made ready and then buy it.

Let M&M take a leaf or two out of Maruti's book - so many of their models of different generations and technology are co-existing in this market place! Indeed Maruti car models which were supposed to replace some of their earlier models and others are today selling nicely and happily alongside those that they were supposed to replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
+1 to both.

The Bolero VLX 4X4 will be a killer product and will get lot of sales. But will it be done anytime soon? NO! Because it will cannibalise a lot of Scorpio sales. And I guess thats why its been made clear by the M&M R&D that its development is not there in the near horizon!
Old 27th December 2010, 19:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In our country no manufacturer has even scratched the surface of the marketplace.

there is so much potential here that I believe that both products will sell side by side - different strokes for different folks.

Anyway since 4WD is made on Build On Order basis I really dont see why M&M cannot offer it to consumers.

Serious consumers will order it, wait for it to be made ready and then buy it.

Let M&M take a leaf or two out of Maruti's book - so many of their models of different generations and technology are co-existing in this market place! Indeed Maruti car models which were supposed to replace some of their earlier models and others are today selling nicely and happily alongside those that they were supposed to replace!
If this happens or is given as an option anywhere in the near future, I am ready put money down immediately. A Bolero Storm 4WD suits my purpose to a "T"
Old 27th December 2010, 20:30   #24
BHPian

IMO the 4*4 market in India is not huge. I dont think its going to affect scorpio sales in anyway as a lot of people buy it for everyday use and only a small percentage would use the 4*4 to its full advantage.

It is time that they come out with a 4*4 for the bolero storm. Mahindra hope you are listening.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have to put my money where my mouth is. The fact is for the past 12 months now, I am waiting, with ready money, to buy a 4WD that I can take anywhere, with at least 3 additional adults, and their luggage. I DO NOT want an Extreme Off-Roader, but something that I can drive sedately, in a city, cruise comfortably on the highway, and use that Optional 4WD, in sticky or difficult situations. I do not care about Electronics and Gizmos, but what I absolutely need is an AC, PS, decent interiors, Ground Clearance, Short WB, 100+ BHP, 250+ Torque and a SIX DIGIT PRICE TAG. I also want my vehicle to be low maintenance, and built to last.

So, what do I have? Almost nothing...!

Bolero Storm VLX - Average GC, no 4WD, but all else is okay. So, the platform is almost perfect to take in a 4WD.

Scorpio VLX 4WD - All OK, but it goes into SEVEN DIGIT Territory, has a boat like quality, and as others have rightly said, we don't want all those Electronics. Also, the GC is Average.

Safari 4WD - Good GC, BHP and Torque... but the thing again goes into SEVEN DIGIT Territory, and I do not trust TATA to give me a RELIABLE product.

THAR CRDe - Great Price and Specs. But cannot seat 4 adults in comfort, with their luggage for long trips. This is a great vehicle, but a bit disappointed, as it's application will eventually only be limited to weekend off-roaders.

What I would love to see:
Bolero Storm VLX 4WD - This would give me almost everything I want, and I can live with the average GC.
or,
Scorpio LX 4WD - I'd love this even more than a SLE 4WD. No Frills, basic product, at the right price, though with average GC.
or,
Reincarnation of a Force Gurkha - But, I do not think this will ever happen.

The problem is I wanted to buy this vehicle YESTERDAY, and I do not have a single choice in the whole market! Is my budget that meek?
Old 30th December 2010, 11:15   #26
Team-BHP Support

If I am looking at a 4x4 vehicle today with AC a hard top and front facing seats, I cannot buy one unless I am willing to shell out 10.5L approx.
However, if the Bolero CRDE came in a 4x4 avatar, it will be around 8L, and undercut the nearest competitors by 2L
So it does make a lot of sense.
Since this vehicle is already available in 2WD format, I cannot fathom any technical or regulatory reasons for not launching it.
Maybe M&M is worried that a 4WD Storm will simply kill the Scorpio 4x4 market?
Old 30th December 2010, 19:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have to put my money where my mouth is.
========
The problem is I wanted to buy this vehicle YESTERDAY, and I do not have a single choice in the whole market! Is my budget that meek?
Precisely all the above reasons why I am still awaiting for Mahindra to launch the Bolero Storm 4 x4.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th December 2010 at 20:02. Reason: Please avoid copying entire large post for short replies, Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 20:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Precisely all the above reasons why I am still awaiting for Mahindra to launch the Bolero Storm 4 x4.
Seems like an awful lot of people are waiting for Mahindra to launch this product. But going by what many of the guys from Mahindra, who are on this forum say, it does not look like a possibility in the near future.

@ tsk1979, do you really think that the Storm 4 x 4 will kill the Scorpio 4 x 4 market? The Bolero at the end of the day will still retain it's very basic roots. People who would like to travel in relative style and comfort, would still prefer the Scorpio. (My better half would too!)

@roy_libran, totally agree with you on the GC factor, but again if you are not doing serious offroading, I think it is manageable in most situations. Though in my wish list for the Storm 4 x 4, I would love to see those R16 tyres and a ground clearance of atleast 200mm. (Let me not be greedy, I might settle for 195mm!)
Old 30th December 2010, 23:20   #29
BANNED

In 2004, when I got the Bolero 2WD, I had almost picked a Bolero 4WD, but then the leaf spring setup upfront and the engine constraints led me to pick up the Bolero 2WD instead with IFS.

Now the platform with 4WD and IFS - Thar exists. Please bolt on the Bolero body to this combo and call it the Storm 4x4. It will dissappear faster from the showroom floors then the Scorpio's - oh wait a minute, is this why they are not giving it to us?
Old 31st December 2010, 18:53   #30
BHPian

Bolero CRDe Storm 4X4 will be my dream vehicle. I have my money ready for this vehicle.
When you talk about all-in-one vehicle, for city/daily use, long drives, weekends, slippery off-road or beaten-up roads,. this is the vehicle
Thar is a good, expect for hard-top and 4 or 5 doors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks