Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 19:04   #136
BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

I have some concerns about mounting a rooftop tent since I heard that the RTO in some states in India, disallow roof top carrier on personal vehicles. That's such a bummer for me. I was banking on the tent being on top of a thar.

Does anyone have any info on how to circumvent it?

Happy weekend.
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:30   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
I have some concerns about mounting a rooftop tent since I heard that the RTO in some states in India, disallow roof top carrier on personal vehicles. That's such a bummer for me. I was banking on the tent being on top of a thar.

Does anyone have any info on how to circumvent it?

Happy weekend.
Another progress update: Got a call from PPS Mahindra that a Thar is available against a booking cancellation. Yay !! But I'm not taking it up!

Been doing some research on the possible launch of Toyota Hilux in October 2021. It has an awesome and interesting track record as a overlander and expedition vehicle.

The hilux will be ideal for my needs and hopefully has none of the compromises made by Isuzu.
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have some concerns about mounting a rooftop tent since I heard that the RTO in some states in India
I suppose you can endorse the same in RC, there been some discussion on this on forum earlier too. You can check on the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:04   #139
BHPian

Quote:
The hilux will be ideal for my needs and hopefully has none of the compromises made by Isuzu.

Can you please elaborate on the compromises by Isuzu in regards to your needs/overlanding?
Sandman689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:39   #140
BHPian

Re: Overland trips from Bangalore

Quote:
So the latest vehicles on the shortlist are:

1. NEW THAR booked hopefully delivered by Nov. 2020 (18.7L)
2. 2016 fortuner 4wd auto (23 L )
3. 2015 pajero sport 4wd manual (15.5L)
I would add the Mahindra XUV and the Scorpio to your list. I have driven the XUV 500 extensively in the mountains in both Uttarakhand and Himachal and have also covered Bhutan on it, with family. Long distance rides get extremely tiring after a couple of days hence your vehicle needs to be as comfortable as possible and a lot of people say that the Thar is anything but. Buy a new Mahindra and get extended warranty along with RSA and most of your vehicle troubles are over.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:33   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman689 View Post
Can you please elaborate on the compromises by Isuzu in regards to your needs/overlanding?
The main grouse I have with Isuzu is their pricing for the Z-Prestige model. In Bangalore it adds up to 31.6 lakhs. This much for an older model is not acceptable. Though I haven't personally driven it offroad/extensively. My "google research" from overlanders' feedback has been:
1. Very average highway manners when bed is not loaded.
2. Not the best off-road performance in its class (i.e., 4x4 read beds with read diff lock and traction control)
3. Lack of latest ICE and cheap plastics in the cab (for the price).
4. Isuzu pushing an older model on us.
5. Lack of dealer network. ( I hear parts are always on back order)

for a recent review of hilux vs V-cross Please do see :

Regards
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:39   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
I would add the Mahindra XUV and the Scorpio to your list.....
Yes these are competent options (along with Jeep Compass, XUV700)

The reason I ruled them out was to keep only ladder frame chassis vehicles in the final list. The off-road/rough road capability of a Ladder frame gives me better confidence.

As for Scorpios, Im not finding good second hand one with automatic and 4x4. The new version is not out till early next year I guess.

regards
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:42   #143
BHPian

UPDATE : Found a very good roof top tent provider.

https://www.nomadadventuresoverland.com/

Spoke to the owner and he was very helpful with information and his experiences with the tents. Their hard-shell tent seems to be a winner.

See a recent review:

Last edited by vkiran_2000 : 3rd September 2021 at 16:44. Reason: additional info
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:58   #144
BHPian

Quote:

The reason I ruled them out was to keep only ladder frame chassis vehicles in the final list. The off-road/rough road capability of a Ladder frame gives me better confidence.

As for Scorpios, Im not finding good second hand one with automatic and 4x4. The new version is not out till early next year I guess.

regards
Where exactly do you want to go in this vehicle and how many days a year would you use it ? Considering that you are in Bangalore it will take you at least three days to touch the Himalayan foothills and three more days to go back from there thus limiting your outings. Having spent a fair bit of time travelling to the rough parts in Uttarkhand and Himachal your proposed vehicle would be an overkill for most of the terrain. If however you want to spend a few months wandering about in Spiti and Ladakh then it starts to make sense. Just IMO no offense meant or implied.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:36   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly do you want to go in this vehicle and how many days a year would you use it ?.
You absolutely nailed the issues for overlanding based in bangalore. My plan is for hardcore overlanding expeditions for longish durations (months if needed) 😅 please do see my thread for issues you have highlighted.

Other than the northern himalayas, there are awesome places to be explored in maharashtra, mp, orissa and all over northeast.

P. S. Aiming for the sky😁, i know l, lets see.
Old 4th September 2021, 20:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other than the northern himalayas, there are awesome places to be explored in maharashtra, mp, orissa and all over northeast.

The Himalayas are spectacular. Most pickups have square holes in the four corners of the bed just because mods are so common. Some guys actually have cranks and hangers to lift and store their bed mods right out of the pickup beds. Easy-peasy.

Isuzu has a good reputation in most of the world for quality. They have a reputation for making fine diesel motors for General Motors (Chevrolet) medium trucks. People like them. They are dependable. India does not have much Isuzu support but then, not much goes wrong with them. If I lived near a good Isuzu dealer I might buy one. Handling kind of klunky, though, IMHO.

Toyota Hillux is classy, of course, on all fronts. I may take a look at it myself when-if it launches. I have wondered why Maruti does not make a small pickup...I get the feeling that maybe Mahindra marketing cast off personnel go to Maruti either to die or to sabotage. B.D. had a lot to say about those folks, none of it good.
Attached Thumbnails
Building an Expedition Vehicle-images.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 20:30   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

Isuzu has a good reputation in most of the world for quality. They have a reputation for making fine diesel motors for General Motors (Chevrolet) medium trucks. People like them. They are dependable. India does not have much Isuzu support but then, not much goes wrong with them. If I lived near a good Isuzu dealer....
I do live near the trident isuzu in Hosur Road. The main reason I'm not already buying it is becuase I'm kinda pissed off at them not giving us the latest version and passing off the 2017 one with bs6 and adding 5 lakhs to the price 😕

Regards
Old 6th September 2021, 09:39   #148
BHPian

Quote:

regards
Is this a must ? In the remote locations where you want to spend a significant amount of time simpler machines will serve you better. I would stick to the Indian manufacturers Tata, Mahindra and also Force as you are likely to find both mechanics and parts for these vehicles. Newer more advanced vehicles may need to be towed back to the nearest authorized service center in the absence of any support there.
A350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:33   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this a must ? In the remote locations where you want to spend a significant amount of time simpler machines will serve you better. I would stick to the Indian manufacturers Tata, Mahindra and also Force as you are likely to find both mechanics and parts for these vehicles. Newer more advanced vehicles may need to be towed back to the nearest authorized service center in the absence of any support there.
I would avoid "automatic" transmission, if for nothing else but ease of repairs in remote areas.

An expedition vehicles is either tough (Toyota Hilux etc) or easily repaired (Indian Brands) or both.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 17:38   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would avoid "automatic" transmission, if for nothing else but ease of repairs in remote areas.
Other than the infamous DSG failures, are automatics that unreliable? In the overlanding videos from the west (mostly from the US), one sees that a majority of the vehicles are automatic. I believe the transition will happen here too.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed