Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Toyota LC is every body's fancy but what about parts when you get breakdown something? Toyota's are largely reliable but guys its a machine at the end of the day it too can fail. Parts sourcing and shipping is a problem if you don't have a source....
Well nobody is commenting that LC can't fail! Only thing is it is LEAGUES ahead in terms of reliability for this kind of application (expedition vehicle) once an overhaul is done to the concerned areas. I do agree parts availability is not that straight forward, but its not too difficult either, there are options for the cheaper China/Taiwan parts and the original Japanese parts.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle examples

Some more pics of vehicles like LR defender built for expedition. The closest resemblance with every thing decked up would be Bolero 4wd. Else IMO JUDO or Classic Cruiser would have given even defenders complex in terms of size and looks!

p.s- If you can manage to get 4wd classic cruiser nothing to match it from becoming a expedition vehicle. If not i can think of Bolero 4wd only. These two machines are incredibly simple to maintain and repair. Plus they are rugged!
Attached Thumbnails
Building an Expedition Vehicle-03084w_17pland_rover_defender_90front_driver_side_view.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-globalexp1.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-mercedesbenz_gwagen_edition30_3.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-dscn4803.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-mercedesbenz_gwagen_edition30_10.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd March 2010 at 18:47.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...p.s- If you can manage to get 4wd classic cruiser nothing to match it from becoming a expedition vehicle...
Is it really possible to get hold of this in India as of now? Any idea bout costs?
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Is it really possible to get hold of this in India as of now? Any idea bout costs?
Website mentions 4x4 in Toofan classic. Here's the link-

...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

But no idea about costs. Must be about seven lakhs if you choose with diff locks and that too if they are ready to supply.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:37   #20
BHPian

Hi Vinod,

Before I put the post, I thought this was the ideal vehicle, with oodles of torque and space. The website also mentioned "Classic Toofan 4x4".

But sadly this is no longer available in the 4x4 version. Read my earlier post . The only 4x4 from the Force stables is the Gurkha.

This is what the dealear in Bangalore "Khivraj motors" told me. I dont know how far this is true. Can someone elsewhere check and revert on the same.

Quote:
Website mentions 4x4 in Toofan classic. Here's the link-

...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

But no idea about costs. Must be about seven lakhs if you choose with diff locks and that too if they are ready to supply.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Hi Vinod,

Before I put the post, I thought this was the ideal vehicle, with oodles of torque and space. The website also mentioned "Classic Toofan 4x4".

But sadly this is no longer available in the 4x4 version. Read my earlier post . The only 4x4 from the Force stables is the Gurkha.

This is what the dealear in Bangalore "Khivraj motors" told me. I don't know how far this is true. Can someone elsewhere check and revert on the same.
Get in touch with Force guys directly. Rhandle may be able to help you. Another member Helios was also looking to buy a force model, he is also in touch with force guys. Please take contact numbers from them. Those guys will be able to tell you what is the truth.

p.s- When you take this vehicle please do remember that it may take you every where but will not be useful for off road that we guys do. So don't make this as your 3 B replacement :-))
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:46   #22
BHPian

With the hunt on, I came across the following

1) 1966 Land Rover Series 3 109, 2.5L inline 4 diesel, classic Green colour. But sadly these do not come with PS, A/c. But they are rugged.

2) A Land Cruiser BJ60 Diesel
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Data Library

I was keen on this vehicle, but it required a good amount of work on the bodyline. And as per my mechanic, the engine probably had about 25% life left in it.

Supposing I were to pick this, I know that I will be spending at least 6 months getting it back to shape which I dont mind. However the availablility of spares especially if I have to do up the engine is what my concern is.

The way I rebuild is to completely strip the vehicle down and make sure every part is cleaned / rebuilt / replaced / painted and put back in place.

So the hunt remains...

Last edited by RAINMAKER : 23rd March 2010 at 10:47.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
p.s- When you take this vehicle please do remember that it may take you every where but will not be useful for off road that we guys do. So don't make this as your 3 B replacement :-))
Definitely this is not gonna replace the 3B. The hurricane will still remain. Nothing like an Short-Chassis, Petrol, open-top vehicle..
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Definitely this is not gonna replace the 3B. The hurricane will still remain. Nothing like an Short-Chassis, Petrol, open-top vehicle..
Hi Vivek,

I saw the ad regarding your 3B for sale in some other classified sites!

Sali
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:57   #25
BHPian

It was, but it no longer is. I thought I had removed from all sites. Did you see it off-late ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Vivek,

I saw the ad regarding your 3B for sale in some other classified sites!

Sali
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:51   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very honestly, a spanking new Scorpio that's suitably customised to your needs will be the most practical. It's got a great engine, can manage medium-level offroading just as well (with the right tyres), is robust and super reliable. Plus, if & when things go wrong, you'll find support anywhere in India.

Another worthy option : Wait for the Tata Aria. Will come with AWD and is going to redefine long distance commuting for large families. Of course, you can fully expect it to retail for 10+ lakhs.

Old imports (LCs, Nissans etc.) are great when you have a lot of spare time & $$$.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:47   #27
BHPian

GTO,

You are right about the Scorpio.. Support available anywhere.. For that matter any Indian vehicle is..

The Aria is more like a Innova looker.What I am looking for is a Proper SUV looker.

Lets see where this hunt ends..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very honestly, a spanking new Scorpio that's suitably customised to your needs will be the most practical. It's got a great engine, can manage medium-level offroading just as well (with the right tyres), is robust and super reliable. Plus, if & when things go wrong, you'll find support anywhere in India.

Another worthy option : Wait for the Tata Aria. Will come with AWD and is going to redefine long distance commuting for large families. Of course, you can fully expect it to retail for 10+ lakhs.

Old imports (LCs, Nissans etc.) are great when you have a lot of spare time & $$$.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:57   #28
BHPian

Just like rainmaker, I continue to lookout for a defender, The search has been on for a year but no good vehicle in sight. I guess the next best option is the bolero camper or the xenon. Would appreciate if some one could point me to a defender for sale ........and then I can go to my expedition.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:37   #29
BHPian

RAINMAKER,

I can understand your dilemma. Your choice of vehicle would depend on the type of travel that you want to plan for. It would make sense to be prepared for any eventuality though. The highway network and the road system is still developing and it is not uncommon to find stretches of bad roads. Also the roads can detiorate very quickly once you get off the main roads.

A good site that I found on preparing a vehicle for long overland journeys is AFRICA 4x4 OVERLAND: Our African Road Trip. DIY expedition vehicle preparation and modifications for a self-drive trans-african 4x4 safari in a Toyota 4Runner, Hilux Surf. 4x4's for sale or hire in East and Southern Africa..
Old 24th March 2010, 10:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Drool Maal

Rainmaker today's pic for you- Now start drooling!
Attached Thumbnails
Building an Expedition Vehicle-defender2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks