Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 15:30   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
Well, I think you're all wrong;
Or just buy my turbo Swaraj Mazda with hot + cold running water and full AC.
Team-BHP Classifieds - swaraj mazda turbo camper caravan - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Apparently you can even get a 4wd military version...
Nice way to market, but unfortunately not my type. The hunt remains
Old 21st April 2010, 09:23   #62
BHPian

Hey rain maker way dont you have a look at the mahindra armada grand its got a/c power steering disc brakes and has a Xd 2.5 liter engine which is powerful only finding a 4x4 version is a problem. I am thinking of some thing on the similar lines.
Old 13th November 2011, 23:47   #63
BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

Hi All,

Like I has mentioned this will a long thread. My last thread was on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-why-thar.html the storm and guess what the Storm is no longer there (Was looking at the Bolero website today)!

In its place an all new Bolero m2crdi, wonder what the farmer will do with this technology. And as usual no 4wd option. Even the management team was caught off-guard when someone asked this question during the press conference. Dont think the 4wd version of the Bolero will be available anymore.

Well, now moving on to the expedition vehicle - what if the base were an Armada 4WD (not the grand). What would be the modifications / upgrades one would do to make it a reliable, sturdy vehicle.

Many might question why not just buy a Scorpio or whatever. But the fun is in building a vehicle the way you want it.

Going by MP Sreenivasan's mods :

1) Bolero chasis,
2) Di turbo engine,
3) NGT 520 4x4 gear box (with a double cross member support)
4) power stearing(Front loaded near the bumper),
5) power brake with big booster,
6) front disc brake and
7) powerful AC,
8) 12000lbs electric winch
9) Michelin 235/75R/15 AT tyres

What better Axles / Engine options one would go for. What would be the best build ?
RAINMAKER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 12:09   #64
BHPian

cool thread - i think Armada is a nice base vehicle. On the tyres - i had recently checked for Michelin AT2 and they were not available due to the ISI mark thinggy.

Same for BFGs.

Question - why are you not considering the Bolero Camper? It will look wicked with customisations IMO.
Old 18th November 2011, 15:29   #65
BHPian

Here is My Lj78 .Making it in a Expedition vehicle .Third stage still to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Building an Expedition Vehicle-p1030044.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-p1030043.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-p1030055.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-p1030041.jpg  

Building an Expedition Vehicle-p1030063.jpg  

Old 18th November 2011, 17:15   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Vinod's Mahindra Bolero Camper idea was spot on IMHO. On a tight budget you are not going to get anything better and in this case what you will get fits some of your criteria very well. It has a very long wheelbase, rides and handles reasonably well....depending on what you are used to. It is simple, rugged and dependable. Parts and mechanics who know the vehicle are wide spread. It has a high ground clearance, hydro-electric engineers use them up here in the mountains to inspect power plants high up in the hills.

On a budget you are not going to get everything you want. Bolero Camper has a lot to offer you. You will also find it handy to have around town. You can modify it to suit your needs. Add A/C, PS. You could bob the tail ala khan Sultan. You could turn it into a Bolero Camper axe...I drew it myself. Can you tell? Seriously, this is a good vehicle.
Just thinking out loud, how feasible is it to add a 4x4 from Scorpio into the Bolero?
--Ragul
Old 18th November 2011, 19:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Just thinking out loud, how feasible is it to add a 4x4 from Scorpio into the Bolero?
--Ragul
Why are you quoting me for your question? A quote generates an email to the person being quoted. But I arrive here after being summoned electrically only to find your question totally disconnected to my post which you quoted......

Since I am here now, it ain't at all feasible. Mahindra pikup 4x4 parts would be a wiser choice. Not doing it all would be wiser still.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 01:11   #68
BHPian

Hey Rainmaker,
The thread has been dormant for a while now. Yet it discusses one of the most loved topics. Is your hunt still on? Two years on since your last post, a lot of good vehicles have hit the market. Here's my personal opinion. If you are going to restict your expeditions within India, then I guess any common Indian 4WD SUV(Scorpio, Bolero, Safari,Xenon, etc) should serve your purpose. But if you are planning to drive abroad, then you must go in for proved ones like LC, Gwagen, Defender, etc. If you travel abroad with an Indian expedition vehicle(like say the Safari Sorme Expedition) and punish it like an LC or Defender, then you may very well be one of the very first people doing it and I bet the Indian auto industry will be watching your expedition very closely.
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:21   #69
BHPian

Which Indian Expedition Vehicle?

Hi all,
We Indians have now grown to a stage where we can afford to have long distance driving expeditions to far flung places all across India. And the vehicles manufactured by Indian auto Co's have also matured in a way that many of them can now take us to such places with our families in comfort and bring us back home safely too(Be it the Tatas,or Mahindras,or Marutis).Now it is only a matter of time before we grow to a stage where we start driving across continents to visit far flung places across the globe to satisfy the explorer inside us. Now, for a person who is planning an overland expedition across continents, there are many proved vehicles manufactured by companies like Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, Jeep, etc.

Is there yet any vehicle which is manufactured by Indian Auto Co.s which is capable of overland expeditions across continents? Has our auto industry matured enough to manufacture such vehicles? If yes, then which Indian vehicle would be the most suitable for such expeditions?

It would inherently mean that such a vehicle, if it exists at all, should be able to take us across all sorts of terrains across the world(Eg. Silk road, African Continent, Australian outback, Central Asia, etc), in all weather conditions, carrying all sorts of loads, run continuously for extremely long durations/distances, bring the passengers back home in one piece and still have serviceable life left in it.

Here's a link associated with this topic: http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...ri-storme.html
sandeepc83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:05   #70
BHPian

Re: Which Indian Expedition Vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepc83 View Post
Hi all,
We Indians have now grown to a stage where we can afford to have long distance driving expeditions to far flung places all across India. And the vehicles manufactured by Indian auto Co's have also matured in a way that many of them can now take us to such places with our families in comfort and bring us back home safely too(Be it the Tatas,or Mahindras,or Marutis).Now it is only a matter of time before we grow to a stage where we start driving across continents to visit far flung places across the globe to satisfy the explorer inside us. Now, for a person who is planning an overland expedition across continents, there are many proved vehicles manufactured by companies like Toyota, Mercedes, Nissan, Jeep, etc.

Is there yet any vehicle which is manufactured by Indian Auto Co.s which is capable of overland expeditions across continents? Has our auto industry matured enough to manufacture such vehicles? If yes, then which Indian vehicle would be the most suitable for such expeditions?

It would inherently mean that such a vehicle, if it exists at all, should be able to take us across all sorts of terrains across the world(Eg. Silk road, African Continent, Australian outback, Central Asia, etc), in all weather conditions, carrying all sorts of loads, run continuously for extremely long durations/distances, bring the passengers back home in one piece and still have serviceable life left in it.

Here's a link associated with this topic: http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...ri-storme.html
IMO, the most important characteristic for a expedition vehicle would be rock solid reliability and even if some engine or mechanical problems are experienced, they should be easily repairable with available resources.
Space is also an important characteristic but it is still manageable at the cost of reliability. I have come across many SWB vehicles like suzuki jimny and toyota rav4 being used as transcontinental expedition vehicles with roof top tents.
As far as vehicles from Indian manufacturers available in the market today, my vote would be to the Mahindra Bolero Camper 4WD for the following reasons-
(a) Reliable and easy to repair DI engine
(b) Simple suspension setup with solid axle at front
(c) Decent space in cab as well as rear tray for carrying loads.
samwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:08   #71
BHPian

With some minor exceptions most Indians are not known to travel extensively across continents on their own vehicles. But I guess this will take up gradually just like motorsports and offroading instances have gradually increased over the years.

If I remember well, Mahindra does the TriNation Escape across Bhutan/Nepal/India where non-Mahindra vehicles can also be part of. And I guess our Safari's, Scorpio's or XUV's are good enough to be driven around extensively. Bullet proof reliability could be an issue but if we look at it that way no vehicle is bullet proof reliable.

I guess it's just a matter of someone with cash, time, mechanical knowledge of the vehicle & enough willpower doing this and the media reporting it for all to know.
vroom666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Oh Ho Ho...what a topic
Overland trips would mean a lot of fun provided we have the following things sorted out in the vehicle/car

1) Reliability of Engine & its Longevity
2) Suspension Setup & its flexibility with good lasting bushes which can handle all the beating
3) Vehicle being a bare-bone construction where it can handle the modifications one would likely do to it (Additional Fuel tank, Electrical Upgrades Etc Etc)
4) Decent Cargo Space to load in a cycle and other relevant essentials
5) Seating 4 with ease and sufficient space (leg space/head space/Shoulder Space, whatever space you need)
6) Decent list of safety features
7) 4*4 would be an essential if you are planning for an overlander

Considering these objectives I would rate it would be a straight fight between the Mahindra Getaway & Tata Xenon XT.

If and only if we have the Toyota Hilux to give them some company.

Overlanding is still very nascent in India but am sure it will open up, probably a few more years down the line.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

All the SUVs/MUVs lack decent space for conversion into an overland expedition vehicle. An expedition vehicle should have enough space and equipment to allow you to make un scheduled stops in the middle of now where. I have been toying and experimenting with a lot of configurations and after a lot of talks with many drivers, mechanics and coach manufacturers only a few vehicles presently available can fit the bill. Some of the contenders being:
1. Telcoline 207 4X4.
2. Force Traveller.
3. Tata 407 Turbo, 4X4.
4. Swaraj Mazda, double cab, but lack of 4X4 limits its operative capabilities.
wanderernomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:05   #74
BHPian

Hi all,
It would be really helpful in guaging the vehicle's potential for the said purpose if the vehicle you are suggesting is also backed by suitable justifications. By justifications, I mean the closest these vehicles have been to the conditions of an overland expedition. How were they able to endure those conditions and how they fared after returning back home after being subjected to those conditions. Are they still serviceable?

Thanks,

Sandeep
Old 4th November 2013, 11:20   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
1. Telcoline 207 4X4.
Smaller overall dimensions than the rest 3 will help in driving in tight paths

front suspension is IFS & getting rid of auto locking hubs or choosing manual ones (if any available) will be good.

Does it have LSD at rear ? I think yes .. its a good idea.

Limited ramp angle than the rest of the three, but again its a good proposal

Its not as sturdy as we think .

Quote:
2. Force Traveller.
Is it available right now in 4x4 mode ? what about top speeds ?

and the spares ....

Quote:
3. Tata 407 Turbo, 4X4.
I personally like this, my choice .

we had one (4x2), bit clumsy in traffic, had a good turning circle (this may be limited in 4x4), good ground clearance but very rough ride.

Very durable & not much complicated . No impressive top speeds.

Are they available in civil markets ?

Quote:
4. Swaraj Mazda, double cab, but lack of 4X4 limits its operative capabilities.
naah , I think its days are gone .

For the purpose of this thread I will certainly prefer a brand new vehicle, run it for some 15 K all over the place, check whats really happening WRT my hopes/dreams & reality . I will check the suitability before moving for some really long hauls, some thousands miles away from base.

Finally my own preparedness for DIY repairs (again ) will count.

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 4th November 2013 at 11:21.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks