Old 26th June 2023, 11:55   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post
Hello Enthusiasts,

1. Connect the leisure battery so that it can charge
2. Disconnect the leisure battery and then stop the vehicle
This will help me with enough juice for the night. I have the below questions and need you thoughts:
1. How can I charge? Is it possible to do plug-play in cigarette light port. Like DC-DC charger.
2. Will it affect the starter battery? I don't want put the starter battery in any risk.
3. Can the alternator bear the load?
4. Anyting that I am not able to think that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
. If possible, install a larger Alternator. If there is a possibility install an extra 90A one.

. There are batteries used for fork lifts and other commercial vehicles, that are both deep discharge and vibration resistant. Check Exide and Amaron industrial battery sites.

. There are solid state isolators available. Search the net and get one.

. Calculate the capacity of battery required. Noirmally a 100 AH battery has 1KVAH capacity. SO of your load is 200W, then you can get 4-5 hours backup.
Old 30th June 2023, 10:58   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Suggest you do a little web search and find out what a "Deep Cycle" battery is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. If possible, install a larger Alternator. If there is a possibility install an extra 90A one.
I checked the price for deep cycle battery and they are on the higher side, going for the 19000 rupees portable power backup seems more convenient if I am spending in that bracket (solar charging, inbuild torch, AD and DC ouput options and can be used as a home ups).

Decided the below, simplest, easier and cheapest solution with a dry battery of ~40Ah. For now, I am not configruing this but sharing if this can help fellow travellers.

The switch would be installed below the infortainment system. Wire would be thorough the glovebox and to charge (only when vehicle is running) the battery just keep it on the floor below the glovebox, connect the wires. When done, remove the wire and take it to rear to power the lights.
There would be plug sockets at the starter battery and at the leisure battery.
When I am not on a trip, I will remove all the wire.

Then biggest drawback is the life of a battery which is around 3. The battery would only be used for overlanding trips and in next 3 years there would be 2-3 trips only where I would be camping in the car.

Building an Expedition Vehicle-img_3225.jpg

For now, I am buying 4 of these. Rechargeable, fit my purpose and can be used at home so more value for money.
Old 1st March 2024, 06:45   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post
In short, I am looking for a leisure battery probably 50Ah that I will put in car only when I would be overlanding.
This might be too late in the day for you but have you considered Sparkel's batteries? I'm using their 42AH battery for my overlanding uses. It has USB, 3 pin and cigarette point outputs and car charging/ solar charging/ AC Mains inputs. I think it's made in Pune but they deliver anywhere. When I used it in October last year, I felt it's solar charging speed could increase. When I contacted them, they said they'd developed a faster charging circuit which they installed on mine. Thereafter, over the last three months of continuous usage, I've found it quite sturdy and adequate for our family's uses.
Old 3rd April 2024, 13:05   #184

Hello unpopulrxplorer, I am at the same stage of conversion for my ScorpioN Z8. I have gone for an air mattress + Frame for the sleeping quarters. Had decent experience in couple of real life tests done. Did you manage to complete your conversion? Curious to know the final outcome. I am not very good at understanding electricals so looking to learn from your setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks