Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 00:26   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roja View Post
If I had the means (read can import) a good lwb defender or LC .. I would have no questions at all .. but Parm .. is there any reaon why you say MM and not the 3L 4x4xenon?
I find MM Getaway more spacious and comfortable in terms of cabin space and longer load area, again for more space.

Mechanically the Getaway engine is the earlier 2.6 CRDe engine which was doing duty on the Scorpio and has a robust build to it.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Came across this interesting camper / caravan from facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=672151736187867

Conquerer Australia.
Old 31st July 2021, 16:11   #123
BHPian

Overland trips from Bangalore

Hi

I have been perparing and researching best ways to do overland trips in India. The idea is to go whole hog and get a proper overlanding vehicle with roof top tent and camping gear.

I am still yet to finalize a vehicle to do it up. Booked a petrol Thar to speed up the process 8 weeks ago.

I will document the prep here and will seek gudance from senior members and experienced overlanders. Need inputs and guidance for the project on:

1. Vehicle selection
2. Gear selection
3. References for gear
4. Trip planning

Etc

First basic question is : If one has to make multiple trips in a year to the north and east india, how to reduce the trip duration days? Every trip ex bangalore will mean 3 to 5 days to reach the first point of interest. E.g. A trip to ladakh effectively starts at Kulu or srinagar. And a trip to Sikkim is from Siliguri 😊😏

I didn't find easy or cost effective ways to transport the rig to this start point by train or lorry. Is slogging ot out the only way??

Regards and do interact pls
Old 1st August 2021, 11:36   #124
BHPian

Re: Overland trips from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
Hi

I have been perparing and researching best ways to do overland trips in India....
So the latest vehicles on the shortlist are:

1. NEW THAR booked hopefully delivered by Nov. 2020 (18.7L)
2. 2016 fortuner 4wd auto (23 L )
3. 2015 pajero sport 4wd manual (15.5L)

@Sikkimese4x4 @Tejas@perioimpl and other gurus pls comment.
Old 1st August 2021, 12:32   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the latest vehicles on the shortlist are:

1. NEW THAR booked hopefully delivered by Nov. 2020 (18.7L)
2. 2016 fortuner 4wd auto (23 L )
3. 2015 pajero sport 4wd manual (15.5L)

@Sikkimese4x4 @Tejas@perioimpl and other gurus pls comment.
For long distance trips, unless you are travelling alone; a smaller vehicle like Thar is at a disadvantage - less space for both personnel and gear.

Of the two I prefer the Fortuner as it has higher reliability and a wider service network. Unfortunately Pajero has very dismal service network.

My preference is always a manual transmission as it has less chance to go wrong, especially on a long trip to remote areas.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:51   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For long distance trips, unless you are traveling alone; a smaller vehicle like Thar is at a disadvantage - less space for both personnel and gear.....
At this point my vehicle selection has the Thar on top of the list. The pros for it are:
1. Smaller size makes me more confident that it is maneuverable over rough hilly terrain.
2. Updated feature set and fits into the 20L budget.
3.Mahindra's service network in India
4. Decent highway driving dynamics.
5.I am Travelling alone or as a duo max. So a rooftop tent and rear seat removed for more storage space will suffice.
Old 19th August 2021, 23:44   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

First basic question is : If one has to make multiple trips in a year to the north and east india, how to reduce the trip duration days? Every trip ex bangalore will mean 3 to 5 days to reach the first point of interest. E.g. A trip to ladakh effectively starts at Kulu or srinagar. And a trip to Sikkim is from Siliguri 😊😏

I didn't find easy or cost effective ways to transport the rig to this start point by train or lorry. Is slogging ot out the only way??

1; leave the vehicle parked up north somewhere when you're not using it.
2; hire a driver to take it there for you and pick you up at the airport in Delhi or kulu.
3; Hire a vehicle locally and leave yours in Bangalore.
anjuna mark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At this point my vehicle selection has the Thar on top of the list. The pros for it are:
1. Smaller size makes me more confident that it is maneuverable over rough hilly terrain.
2. Updated feature set and fits into the 20L budget.
3.Mahindra's service network in India
4. Decent highway driving dynamics.
5.I am Travelling alone or as a duo max. So a rooftop tent and rear seat removed for more storage space will suffice.
Check this video for some interesting mods for overlanding on the 2021 Thar.

smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:00   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Hi

I have been perparing and researching best ways to do overland trips in India. The idea is to go whole hog and get a proper overlanding vehicle with roof top tent and camping gear.

I am still yet to finalize a vehicle to do it up. Booked a petrol Thar to speed up the process 8 weeks ago.

First basic question is : If one has to make multiple trips in a year to the north and east india, how to reduce the trip duration days? Every trip ex bangalore will mean 3 to 5 days to reach the first point of interest. E.g. A trip to ladakh effectively starts at Kulu or srinagar. And a trip to Sikkim is from Siliguri ����

Even I used to contemplate - Is it possible to book railway transport in the same Shatabdi and move the car just like they do army trucks and tanks?

I used to watch many videos on YouTube and obsess about going to Ladhak too then I realized how foolish it is when so many quick 4-day options exist around the hidden backroads of Chikmagalur and the green patches on the map in the surrounding geographies of Coorg Agumbe etc. Given the 21day logistics, I find it stupid only to see and experience mostly dusty roads in the immediate 50m line of sight in Ladhak and pretty mountains very far away - when I've enjoyed extra-ordinary rides nearby in forest roads! Sure its worthwhile when you are in between jobs and nothing to lose until the next job but not otherwise for a resident of South-India. Ladhak is a great choice for those living around Jaipur Chandigarh Delhi etc. Today my line of thinking is - Why not experience the riches of the Western Ghats and Sahyadris regularly starting monsoon while we live here and postpone the North trips to a more apt time? Check out the videos of Malshej Ghat in the rainy season on Youtube for ex. I made a plan last year do one trip a month to CKM and surrounding areas beginning monsoons and already started the lifestyle. Loving it to the 'T'.

Yet another idea that I kicked out of my head is that tiny cramped 2 man rooftop tent costing almost 1lac. I think much prefer a 3-4 man ground tent with a porch even for 2 people and mesh doors and a wide awning over my car to enjoy some cooking etc with all luggage neatly stowed in the corner - all at 1/4th the price. After giving it some consideration - I realized that these rooftop ideas are just fancy stuff that we watch people in California and other cold places with great views enjoying their 15-20 degree Celsius sunny but cool weather - and then try to imitate. Try doing that in above 40 Celsius weather for a casual vacation... or in a heavy unpredictable downpour of Indian monsoons... Umm... no thanks! Its a different thing when overloading for more than 6 months and facing the weather come what may. Not great for leisure short trips. For a close to 1lac investment how much are you going to really use it per year?

Yah I know I am beginning to sound pompous, preachy and arrogant (pardon me for that, but let me say it anyways), but please do pause to consider this line of though - Possibly, a person will not realize some things because he or she has been driving a nice enclosed car with climate control. I know that sense of feeling immune to the heat while steeping out of a chilled AC car in the hot sun for a few minutes just to fetch something - it can fool you. I drive a Gypsy and have faced the heat every day every hour I drive for a decade and so with a next-to-useless aftermarket AC and so I know better than to suffer Indian weather. Unless you have been a passionate cricketer standing and playing in the hot sun at the playground all day - if you are like me living in an AC office for more than a decade you are likely not going to have the tolerance for it. Don't we all recall that moment we step in to a hot car that was parked in the sun for an hour - with utter agony?!! And if we camp all day somewhere the roof is almost good to fry an egg even at 5pm so we will have to pack and unpack daily and setup our tent only after 6:30pm.

I think designing a really large DIY awning (using fabrics easily available on Amazon) that extends over the roof rack in an inverted 'V' to shade both the car and ground tent makes better sense! Unless you think you will drive absolutely every single day and never camp in the day post 7am.

Me? I decided years back that I love AC! Screw climate change - let that change begin with large international corporates that drive pollution and climate change world-wide at an industrial scale with close to a 100 AC's per office building!

Cynical but true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I saw that few weeks back - I am really keen to get those flat roof top water tanks and planning to import wide beam lights for the roof after I build a roof rack for my soft-top Gypsy.

Last edited by Ragul : 20th August 2021 at 18:04.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:05   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
1; leave the vehicle parked up north somewhere when you're not using it.
2; hire a driver to take it there for you and pick you up at the airport in Delhi or kulu.
3; Hire a vehicle locally and leave yours in Bangalore.
My thoughts on the options:
OPTION 1: Can leave it for a month or two if the next trip is also around the same area. My plans would be to have 1 long trip every quarter or so and multiple weekend+ kinda trips in between.

OPTION 2: Hiring a driver is a good option. I am yet to find a person or company that can do this. The risks are bad drivers, driver being harassed by cops on the way, theft of stuff in the overlander or of the vehicle itself

OPTION 3: Tried that in meghalaya. Works partially well but cant stock up and get the gear sorted out properly.

Thanks for your inputs
Old 20th August 2021, 22:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

https://Youtu.be/A2h5H1ysnoA
Lots of useful things, but not a big fan of the piping and tap for water.

thanks,
Old 20th August 2021, 23:16   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Even I used to contemplate - Is it possible to book railway transport in the same Shatabdi and move the car just like they do army trucks and tanks?......
Loved your detailed reply. The dilemma you describe is exactly my situation. Few notes as a reply:

1. Did some fact finding on Moving the vehicle by rail and road. The quote I got was 21k to move from BLR to DEL one way. 5 days. Thus ruled out.

2. Agree that there are numerous awesome drives down south as well. I am covering them currently (even with my A6, where the roads aren't fully off-road) I am an army brat, so having lived/traveled all over the north and east, I do want to get back there. Its not about which is better, but I have to go there anyway ! At least 1 long expedition every year till I can.

3. Being solo I have no issues with space, but your point on the warm weather is valid. This Feb I was in Meghalaya overlanding with camping.co in a Tata Xenon. The tent was 100% usable and the weather perfect.(min 2 deg max 23). That said, I want to take up the challenge of all the shades of Indian weather. Planning extra waterproofing, weather proofing etc. I also realize that heat is the mood killer, so I will seek help while I commence my build of course. The tent is only for night time so makes things simpler. Also, practically many places, one would just use a home-stay or hotel in reality so the tent is just an option for 30% of the nights I guess.

4. Nothing you said was pompous/preachy. It was facts so I hear you. But I do have experience in outdoors and endurance so I am depending on my enthu to sustain it.

5. Awnings makes sense. I am planning the same but on one side that can be retracted into a roll on the roof rack.

4. shameless plug, check out my travels on youtube here and insta here

regards
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:49   #133
BHPian

Quote:
At this point my vehicle selection has the Thar on top of the list.........
Week 4 update on my (re)search. Checked out the V-cross to be doubly sure I have the latest info. Visited showroom in BLR but they didn't have a Z Prestige model (automatic 4x4) for test drive or display. Also very poor service network. Unnecessary premium for what is actually not the latest version of the V-Cross. Pretty disappointing.

Thar, in spite of its size seems best match yet again. So, lined up all the customisation options. Bangalore has prad4x4, but Delhi NCR has bimbra 4x4, classic cars and Azad 4x4. Planning to visit early next month to plan the overland customization in detail and meet the people concerned.

regards
Old 27th August 2021, 20:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....but Delhi NCR has bimbra 4x4, classic cars and Azad 4x4. Planning to visit early next month to plan the overland customization in detail and meet the people concerned.
I had good luck with Bimbra (Gurgaon) on a hardtop for my Thar. They treated me pretty well. Bimbra top is 3 monsoons old, doing well.

If you buy a new vehicle then you may want to think about resale value. Any mods you make may make your vehicle undesirable in the marketplace. The nice thing about pick up trucks is that you can usually undo easily any mods you make to the bed and thereby retain its worth.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 02:32   #135
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Azad is a good bet. I remember checking out their claimed list of modification services they offer - they appear to be comprehensive in their approach and will not balk at the challenge.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed