Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2021, 20:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building an Expedition Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
This week's update : Hilux is not coming i guess. Did some digging around with toyota factory friends of friends and they said no plans this year.
So looking at other options now.

Since ford closed shop last week i have been thinking about good deals of the endeavour. A welll kept 4 5 year old one with less miles on it would fit beautifully as a overland rig. I see the aussies and US folks with their everest

So i am thinking seriously of doing a pivot on to getting this SUV. Saw a 2016 Endeavour with 70k on it and in great shape. I am doing research on near future parts availability and repairs to evaluate the cost/benefit of getting this endy as my selected rig. Feedback please...

Regards
A Toyota Fortuner of similar age will perhaps be a better bet given Toyota's continued presence and availability of spares. Not to mention the near bullet proof build.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:57   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
A Toyota Fortuner of similar age will perhaps be a better bet given Toyota's continued presence and availability of spares. Not to mention the near bullet proof build.
The cost is the factor. An 2016/17 Endy is available for around 20L with 60K kms on its odo. Fortuners aren't in this ballpark.
Old 5th October 2021, 23:48   #168
BHPian

Major update to the overland build:

New option emerged in form of a Isuzu dmax vcross 2017 vehicle at a decent budget. So I am going for it and moving to the next stepof the build around this vehicle.

Whats it fulfills:
1. 4x4
2. good reliability
3. Open bed pickup truck
4. decent road manners. (somewhat)

What I compromised on:
1. No automatic
2. No diff lock
3. updated bells & whistles and looks.

Overall a good platform for the next phase of the build after taking delivery of the vehicle. I will make checklists and vendor shortlists next week for the them. Among the big topics are: Rig design, tent, storage, power management, fridge, cooking and water needs.

Building an Expedition Vehicle-whatsapp-image-20211005-3.01.11-pm.jpeg

Last edited by vkiran_2000 : 5th October 2021 at 23:52.
vkiran_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 02:31   #169
BHPian

I was just wondering why build on an Isuzu when Mahindra has an excellent S11-based pickup that they sell in Australia and South Africa. Just ran a search on Youtube for "australia mahindra ute camper". Please forgive my ignorance on Indian homologation rules, but it seems Mahindra does NOT readily sell this domestically. Would really welcome if vkiran_2000 blazes a trail that someone like me can consider following.
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major update to the overland build:

New option emerged in form of a Isuzu dmax vcross 2017 vehicle at a decent budget.

Among the big topics are: Rig design, tent, storage, power management, fridge, cooking and water needs.

Attachment 2215540

You could carry two batteries. There is something called an "isolator" which allows you to charge two batteries off one alternator but discharge off each battery separately. One battery would say, start the car and do car stuff, the other battery would run any outside lights and equipment you have. The one running down would not draw on or affect the other.

Also, I don't know if you want to get this detailed, but there are batteries called "deep cycle" batteries. These are built to deeply discharge and recharge on a routine basis. Car batteries are not really built to do this. Deep cycle batteries hold up to this much better. They are often used in marine (boat) applications. These I would use for peripheral lights and equipment.
DirtyDan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:19   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could carry two batteries. There is something called an "isolator" which allows you to charge two batteries off one alternator but discharge off each battery separately. One battery would say, start the car and do car stuff, the other battery would run any outside lights and equipment you have. The one running down would not draw on or affect the other.

Also, I don't know if you want to get this detailed, but there are batteries called "deep cycle" batteries. These are built to deeply discharge and recharge on a routine basis. Car batteries are not really built to do this. Deep cycle batteries hold up to this much better. They are often used in marine (boat) applications. These I would use for peripheral lights and equipment.
There are a lot of circuits for using two batteries in RV's available on the net. You can even order kits for various battery capacities online.

Regarding Deep Cycle Batteries", they are designed for stationary application and may not be suitable in a vehicle where the battery will be subjected to vibrations on regular basis and vertical and horizontal shocks at times. So please check their suitability.

One option is to use "Sealed Lead Acid Batteries" used in UPS and other critical applications. They have been there is US for decades and barring their cost are ideally suitable for off-road use.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:44   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
I was just wondering why build on an Isuzu when Mahindra has an excellent S11-based pickup that they sell in Australia and South Africa. ... Would really welcome if vkiran_2000 blazes a trail that someone like me can consider following.
The S11 (or the Scorpio getaway as it is known in India) is no longer available in India. There are a few available in the second hand market but not in great condition.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are a lot of circuits for using two batteries in RV's available on the net. ...suitable for off-road use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could carry two batteries. ...Deep cycle batteries hold up to this much better. They are often used in marine (boat) applications. These I would use for peripheral lights and equipment.
Good ideas. The overland "industry" has used them to develop battery packs by Jackery and Bluetti to name a few. They offer multiple charging and discharging options suited for camping. Check this example comparison out below.

I am trying to get one of these imported or check out some locally built or available online ones.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th October 2021 at 12:59. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Old 6th October 2021, 15:03   #173
BHPian

Quote:
This week's update : Hilux is not coming i guess. Did some digging around with toyota factory friends of friends and they said no plans this year.
I was told that Hilux will be launched in March-April but CBU. This information is from a friend who works with Toyota. But things may change in the coming months. I was also waiting for Hilux. Finally found a BS4 Z Prestige which had done only 3000 kms and picked it up.

And congratulations on you new possession. It looks good. I have seen this vehicle in JP Nagar. Hope this serves you well.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 6th October 2021 at 15:16.
Old 28th October 2021, 12:48   #174
BHPian

Week 4 Oct 2021 updates:

Lots of activity around prepping the vehicle. The last bout of updates saw:

ADDITIONS/UPDATES:
  1. Added a snorkel from bumblebe - Bluegarage.in
  2. Same place, got the underbody 3 piece protection - Bluegarage.in
  3. Wheel arch fender flares added - Bluegarage.in
  4. LED headlight replacement - Sixth mile customs
  5. ICE head unit replaced with a android auto compatible version from Pioneer - Sixth mile customs
ORDERED:
  1. Ordered and received the roof top 2 person hardshell tent from Nomad adventures, delhi.
  2. Ordered and received 50 ltr fridge, 12 v dc powered - tropicool india.
  3. Ordered 500W battery pack with 100W solar panel - amazon
  4. Ordered diesel air heater for keeping tent warm in subzero weather. Also can be used to deice the engine for early morning startup -amazon
  5. Ordered 12v dc water pump to design a water storage solution around it.
  6. Ordered gas fired instant water heater for camping toilet. This will be integrated to the pump for shower
  7. Ordered standing tents for shower and potty enclosures. Still researching the best way to make a biodegradable easy to use waste disposal system.(more on this later)
DESIGN/RESEARCH
  1. Working on a tent rack design with sixth mile customs.
  2. Working on a drawer system design for the bed with sixth mile.
All the design work should come together by first week of Nov and another 2 weeks of actual build.

LATEST LOOK:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVPqs..._web_copy_link

FRIDGE:
Building an Expedition Vehicle-img_20211023_112222.jpg
vkiran_2000 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:45   #175
BHPian

Looks like a very exciting build. Please share the images once the build is complete. I would also like to see the vehicle in person if it is okay with you once you are done with the complete build.

Also, can you share some details of the Android system that you installed along with pictures? I want to see how it fits. Also, do they get integrated with the steering controls? Do they add an additional microphone above driver's head? Thanks in advance.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:55   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
....can you share some details of the Android system that you installed along with pictures? I want to see how it fits. Also, do they get integrated with the steering controls? Do they add an additional microphone above driver's head? ...
Thanks will share pics and progress of course. The ICE unit is a pioneer. Not android but Android auto compatible. It comes with a mic that I placed on the top edge of the windscreen above driver, slightly left.

regards
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:55   #177
Senior - BHPian

For those interested in big expedition vehicles.
Tata has launched the 1218T bs6 in 4X4.
It has the same structure of the SA1212/42 4x4 that the Army uses as a Troop carrier, but with a considerably more powerful BS6 engine, and over 900Nm torque.
As of now it is available for non Army buyers in the NE states, HP and UK.
If some one can manage to register one privately and build a good caravan on it. They have a world tour capable 4X4.

Links for references. https://www.tatamotors.com/product/d...er-sa1212-4x4/

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 02:07   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
For those interested in big expedition vehicles.
Tata has launched the 1218T bs6 in 4X4.

What you'll like:

• Same popular Army SUV package you know and love.
• Robust, abuse-friendly build & construction
• Aggressive styling. Has good street presence. Scares the snot out of people.

What you won't:

• Ride quality, though improved, is far from plush. Still gets bouncy & bumpy
• Surprisingly limited 2nd-row legroom in an SUV of this size
• Overdone rear end styling. Also, decades-old body shell shows its age
• Fit & finish leave a lot to be desired. Rough edges are plentiful
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing Tata owners
• Tata's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
• No cup holders
Attached Images

DirtyDan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 14:48   #179
BHPian

Hello Enthusiasts,

I am in the process of converting my Scorpio N to an expedition vehicle-cum-daily driver.

I have already started with a convertible 6x3 bed by folding middle and rear rows, putting a cobination of wooden boards. I have a foldable 6x3 mattress and it fits perfectly. No real life tests done but I am confident. Also, It has space for a 6x4 mattress and can sleep two comfortably.
The boards are not so compact but I can fit everything in the boot with third row folded, with other camping gears and using it a normal 5 seater.

Now, the next step is, having power when the vehicle is parked to support lighting in the evening and night. I plan to use 12v light strips - they will give good coverage around the vehicle and ample lighting to do cooking and stuff. There are portable power backups like this one however, the starting price is 19000 rupees for 150W backup. I don't see my self running a tiny fridge in the car or other appliances. I do have 200W DC-AC inverter/charger that I can use to charge my gadgets while the car is running, it works perfectly.

In short, I am looking for a leisure battery probably 50Ah that I will put in car only when I would be overlanding. There are options like isolators/charges from Redarc however, it is not fitting my budget. So, I am think to do stuff manually.
When I know that I would be running the car for 2-3 hours, I will start the engine -
1. Connect the leisure battery so that it can charge
2. Disconnect the leisure battery and then stop the vehicle
This will help me with enough juice for the night. I have the below questions and need you thoughts:
1. How can I charge? Is it possible to do plug-play in cigarette light port. Like DC-DC charger.
2. Will it affect the starter battery? I don't want put the starter battery in any risk.
3. Can the alternator bear the load?
4. Anyting that I am not able to think that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
unpopulrxplorer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 08:49   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpopulrxplorer View Post

4. Anyting that I am not able to think that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Suggest you do a little web search and find out what a "Deep Cycle" battery is. It is a battery made for long discharges and recharges. Normal car batteries soon deteriorate and die when used this way. Good luck and have fun!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks