Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 19:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

I Heard that It is for Europe. Even if it launched in India, I am sure there will be an E6 4WD and mo option in E8. Even on E8, it will not come with ABS/Airbags.

Lastly, it will have a waiting period of nearly 2-3 months and specific colors even more.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:51   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Considering M&M's expertise in 4x4, this move was inevitable. Mahindra should use this opportunity and sort out the Xylo's road behaviour too. Better suspension tuning & a stiffer setup is the need of the hour. I agree with Blue Thunder, in that an AWD will be more suited to the Xylo's positioning than a 4x4. But I doubt Mahindra would want to bother investing in developing an AWD drivetrain at the moment.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I agree with Blue Thunder, in that an AWD will be more suited to the Xylo's positioning than a 4x4. But I doubt Mahindra would want to bother investing in developing an AWD drivetrain at the moment.
Since the 4x4 system of the scorpio and Safari are the same sourced from borg warner. Xylo can source the same AWD system that Tata is sourcing from Borg Warner for the Aria. This will make more sense than the full 4x4 system with low range currently on the Scorpio. Usually will work out cheaper as well as the part time systems generally use some light duty clutch pack purely for traction rather than rock bashing.
Old 25th March 2010, 20:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Bolero Storm deserves a 4wd rather than Xylo in terms of laying priorities.
Exactly. The people at Mahindra have odd perceptions, really. MAYBE THEIR NEXT LAUNCH WILL BE THE LOGAN 4X4!
Old 25th March 2010, 23:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel the Bolero has done great service and it's time to move it down market. Xylo is light years ahead in terms of space, refinement and comfort.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra should use this opportunity and sort out the Xylo's road behaviour too. Better suspension tuning & a stiffer setup is the need of the hour.
Absolutely.

I strongly feel that adjustable gas shocks must be provided for the Xylo. This way, customers can tune the settings according to their taste in ride quality.

M & M, can you do this
Old 21st April 2010, 08:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

I also feel that a Storm 4x4 makes more sense to the Indian market. Yesterday I test drove a Xylo E8 (non-ABS) and it does not come across as a platform that can really benefit as a 4x4. As has been said and said again earlier, it sways like a boat, rear wheels don't give you much traction, is not fun to drive at all, although it is very spacious and comfortable inside. However, the Storm has superb road manners, and the power delivery of the Storm CRDe engine will suit a 4x4 very well.

I want a Storm with LSD... Please Mahindra, please!
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I feel the Bolero has done great service and it's time to move it down market. Xylo is light years ahead in terms of space, refinement and comfort.
Down where you guys live you have real roads. Up here we have crowded narrow little market places where you can run over a beggar or knock down a Tibetan nun or push a tourist into the open sewer in a heartbeat (They seem to object to this.) The mountain roads are straight up and down with many hairpin turns. They are narrow semi-improved and unimproved goat paths, washed out and broken up.

The Xylo does not cut the mustard here. It is too big and unwieldy.

A rugged 4 people box, 6 if you aren't going too far, 1600kg tops, with lots of glass like Spacio, high GC, PS and A/C along with 4x4 and lock diff option would do nicely here and across India IMHO. Big ole 16 inch tyres at the corners, FFRA and solid front axle up front. A smaller sized Gurkha or Spacio, Bolero sized or even a little smaller, with 4x4 would do well here.
I am not too far off from Samurai's idea and the idea expressed by some others. Maybe Samurai and I should kidnap Behram and Arka and start our own company. We would make Behram and Arka share the same office .

Please note, I am not expressing my ideals of the ultimate SUV or off-roader, I am expressing my idea of somethng which is needed here and across India.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 22nd April 2010 at 06:23.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ken - hey, that's a good idea, I like it. Sharing the same office.. I believe that there can be nothing better than healthy disagreement on professional issues. Only good can come out of it.

Maybe up there where you live, the Thar would do the job very well (not pushing a tourist into an open sewer or a Tibetan nun out of the way!).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Maybe up there where you live, the Thar would do the job very well (not pushing a tourist into an open sewer or a Tibetan nun out of the way!).
The Thar would do the same to the Tibetian Nun or the Tourist as the Xylo or the Scorp will, its the width, but then the shorter wheelbase will allow it to turn on its head, so a little better.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

To the established punishment/ disciplinary tasks like digging ditches and splitting logs, I think one can add "reverse and make a three point turn in the Xylo in a small town marketplace" .

The Xylo should be designed with a shark nose. It can only move forward.

Serioulsy, the 4x4 Xylo makes no sense. Mahindra now has enough platforms so that one size does not have to fit all. Scorpio 4x4 for the highway traveler who thinks it would be nice to have a 4x4, Bolero Storm 4x4 (designed seriously) for the person who needs a 4x4.
I have a feeling the Thar will not meet my (and most other peoples) space/ pricing criteria.

Sutripta
Old 7th May 2010, 19:44   #27
BHPian

Anybody have an idea about the pricing of the 4WD.

I'm on the cusp of buying a Xylo, but i can wait for a 4WD. How long would it take for them to launch it?
Old 7th May 2010, 19:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Absolutely.

I strongly feel that adjustable gas shocks must be provided for the Xylo. This way, customers can tune the settings according to their taste in ride quality.

M & M, can you do this
Kit car makers, if you insist.
But, which car maker IN THE WORLD sells cars with adjustable suspension that the owner can fiddle with?

I see two reasons why they dont:
1. Cost
2. Safety
Old 7th May 2010, 22:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

First let them launch an SLE Scorpio 4x4. Their 4x4 mHawk scorpio came almost a year or later or so after the equivalent Safari. What do you guys smoke believing all this rubbish...give me some of that too ;-)

Between them and TATA, TATA are like a 100 times more aggressive than M&M in new launches. So if TATA does not do a 4x4 Sumo Grande, then nor will the xylo. M&M is putting all their effort behind the new World SUV for which training has already begun in batches.

Xylo will remain a people mover/ambulance and will remain in the 2WD guise.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Redliner Xylo will come with 4wd variants.

Most Viewed