Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 10:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

The first lot of Xylos it seems are not of good mechanical quality. My friend has one and after a year or so he is having a lot of issues and the car is taken to the workshop very often.

Could this be a one off case or is the xylo high on maintenance?
Old 24th June 2010, 11:06   #47
BHPian

Xylo 4x4

Atlast could attach these photos of the Xylo 4x4
Attached Thumbnails
4X4 Mahindra Xylo! EDIT : PICS on page 4-19062010001.jpg  

4X4 Mahindra Xylo! EDIT : PICS on page 4-19062010002.jpg  

4X4 Mahindra Xylo! EDIT : PICS on page 4-19062010003.jpg  

Old 24th June 2010, 11:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
The first lot of Xylos it seems are not of good mechanical quality. My friend has one and after a year or so he is having a lot of issues and the car is taken to the workshop very often.

Can you please list out the issues your friend faces with his Xylo?
Old 24th June 2010, 12:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

He had a major problems with the Clutch and the remaining were quoted as small but recurring issues. I shall get the list of issues from him and post.

Infact last sunday i had gone to the Mahindra Showroom to book the Xylo E8 for another friend but then got to know about this in the nick of time and hence now postponed his decision on the xylo.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He had a major problems with the Clutch and the remaining were quoted as small but recurring issues. I shall get the list of issues from him and post.

Infact last sunday i had gone to the Mahindra Showroom to book the Xylo E8 for another friend but then got to know about this in the nick of time and hence now postponed his decision on the xylo.
Please do post the list of small but recurring issues.

How much has the vehicle run? Surprisingly, I have a Xylo too and nothings gone way too wrong. Clocked 25k. Touch wood.

What was the problem with the clutch?
Old 24th June 2010, 12:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

I've had good experience with one of the first Xylos. It didn't have any major issues. But yes, it did have some niggles. The brakes especially used to become very grabby in the mornings when cold, you needed to be extra careful that time.

The tappets had to be readjusted relatively soon, if I remember correctly this was around 30k-35k kms. There were some squeaks from the front suspension as well. But apart from this, the Xylo performed really well and was my daily driver for the better part of the year.

Drifter
Old 25th June 2010, 11:09   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is generally recommended to wait for a year or two, before buying a fresh product from Tata & Mahindra. Give them time to sort out early niggles. That's not to say cars from other manufacturers don't suffer the same fate. Early production batch Mercs have the same problems (especially the electronics), while even the masters of reliability Honda & Toyota run the occasional hiccup. The previous gen Accord left many an Indian owner stranded due to a defective fuel pump design. Early Toyota Innovas had a severe excessive-smoke problem, while the Fortuner is going through a selective recall for its lousy brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Atlast could attach these photos of the Xylo 4x4
Great catch Kiren! Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:57   #53
Team-BHP Support

The Auto locking hubs are of same make and type as those of safari. So Mahindra and Tata use very similar systems.
This should bring down the price of accessible 4WD cars, as the cheapest offerings now top 9.5L ex showroom Delhi.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:38   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Auto locking hubs are of same make and type as those of safari. So Mahindra and Tata use very similar systems.
You bet. I guess they also use identical Borg Warner 4x4 shift-on-the-fly controls.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...I guess they also use identical Borg Warner 4x4 shift-on-the-fly controls...
Not just the controls, I think the entire BW t-case itself is the same.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:51   #56
BHPian

So whats the story with the xylo 4x4? any new updates? The 4WD version is not even advertised on their website. Is it on sale yet or is it still being developed?
Old 6th October 2010, 20:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said earlier about the Storm and Xylo. So, my two pence; Why? Coz I subjected both of them to a test drive on the same day (day before) one after the other.

VLX Storm - Very very good engine. It is just amazing fun to drive a Bolero now, thanks to the CRDE. But, handling is scary. Steers like a drunk elephant, with absolutely no control or feedback whatsoever. Pair that with a powerful engine and you have a potential recipe for disaster. Reducing tyre pressure to 28 psi did not help the cause a bit. Again, the suspension and interiors are nothing to write about. This vehicle just does not justify it's price tag. The only versions in the Bolero line-up that deliver some VFM are SLE and the DI Long Wheelbase.

Xylo (E8) - Good engine, not so great gearshift (better than Storm though). Good interiors and a lot of knick-knacks in the overall package. Handling seemed much better than a Storm, although felt a slight deficit in punch as compared to the Storm. But, still the power delivery of the engine is smooth and it delivers it at the right rpm. I would say this is a VFM package (Not the E6, but E4 and E8).

Now if it was a question of 4x4 on one of these vehicles. I would pick the Xylo as the right candidate.
Why? Because it is a more modern and evolved platform, and already delivers VFM as against the Bolero. So, even if it's price were to rise a bit further due to 4x4, it would not make a big difference to a BUY decision.
However, I am also intrigued by the Xylo D2 version. Apparently, it makes a few BHP's and NM's lesser but does so at a lower RPM Band too. I cannot but help wonder whether that lower RPM Band might not help the 4 WD cause?
Old 6th October 2010, 20:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

So now we will see Taxi/Tour operaters in OTRs with their Xylo 4WD!

anyway seriously speaking i do not see a real purpose or market od 4WD Xylo in India!

Xylo was a sort of an alternate to innova customers, it was always projected as a family/people mover.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the logic for a Xylo 4X4 could be a luxurious vehicle with a go anywhere apability. We all want to go off road once in a while but want a comfortable daily drive so I think a Xylo 4X4 would fit that bill.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I wonder if the logic for a Xylo 4X4 could be a luxurious vehicle with a go anywhere apability. We all want to go off road once in a while but want a comfortable daily drive so I think a Xylo 4X4 would fit that bill.
Agreed. I'd love to own a 4x4 Xylo (unless they price it crazy), as my daily drive and also as my ride for highways etc. Sometimes when you do hit bad road conditions, landslides, a bit of slush etc., you would be all the more relaxed knowing that the 4 WD is there to help you out.
Let's get it straight, when we say Off-road with a Xylo, we don't have in mind the stuff that Gypsies, MMs, CJs or the Gurkha (ahem!) are capable of. Just getting us out of sticky situations o spots of bother is more than enough. Also, I happen to love the interiors they are giving out for that price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks