Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 11:42   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Is this a 410 or 410W?

I am confused. 1996 Model, then it should be 410W.
No hub locks
&
no side skirts? the previous owner has tinkered it OFF?
The wheel arches looks a little odd
I checked with the RC book
its says
manufactured on - 03 / 1996
engine Capacity - 796
no of cylinders - 3

The MUL guy says its 1000cc engine of maruti 1000. and the gypsy doesn't have lock hubs or side skirts ....but the logo is of MG410 not MG410W. Is the W missing due to repainted job.

Am completely confused now...

Can somebody give me some clues to identify the difference between a MG410 & MG41W. if mine is MG410W then am doing a big mistake by selling it. I will really really miss it until i get a MG410W or MG413W....

Please Please & Please help....
Old 27th March 2010, 11:53   #17
BHPian

shaktinanda,
The gypsy looks neat and yes its a 410.Let me tell you pls confirm the availability of your 4x4 and put a free wheel hub for your wild life exepediations.ofcourse you must check and correct the the basic mechanics of the vehicle like radiator,water pump functioniung,plugs,head gasket,all the oil levels&qualities -better replace including the differencials,gear boxes,tcase oil etc,etc...,and put a geo AT tyres,i mean a complete 100% check up and make sure the basics are right as per the stock vehicle specs,trust me she will be superb and will not let you down in any circumstances.this is from my experience of using a 95 model MG 410W as a regular commuting vehicle and little bit of off roading for more than 2 yrs,

Raj
Old 27th March 2010, 14:15   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
shaktinanda,
The gypsy looks neat and yes its a 410.Let me tell you pls confirm the availability of your 4x4 and put a free wheel hub for your wild life exepediations.ofcourse you must check and correct the the basic mechanics of the vehicle like radiator,water pump functioniung,plugs,head gasket,all the oil levels&qualities -better replace including the differencials,gear boxes,tcase oil etc,etc...,and put a geo AT tyres,i mean a complete 100% check up and make sure the basics are right as per the stock vehicle specs,trust me she will be superb and will not let you down in any circumstances.this is from my experience of using a 95 model MG 410W as a regular commuting vehicle and little bit of off roading for more than 2 yrs,

Raj
Thanks for insight Raj ji ....am not going to keep it if its MG410 ....currently am confused with the vehicle if its a MG410 or MG410W.....i am surely going to keep it if its MG410W. Kindly let me know how to distinguish between MG410 & MG410W ....its a 03/1996 make and the RC BOOK says it has 796 cc engine with 3 cylinders. now Wikipedia says gypsy started with a 970cc engine (F10A) in 1985 and in july 1993 the MG410 has been replaced with MG410W. Now this is funny, how maruti can delivery a gypsy with a logo MG410 with 796cc engine with 3 cylinder.....and also without lock hub & side skirting missing. what to dooooo.....??????? am banging my head for help
Old 27th March 2010, 22:04   #19
BANNED

Today i could find a garage in my town who can deal with modification of gypsy. I saw a MG410 gypsy their transplanted with a ISUZU 2.2l diesel engine. He gave me the confidence that he can deal with any kind of modification i want. He suggested me for coil spring suspension and Power steering setup if i plan to keep my current MG410 Gypsy. He has a scrap Esteem VX too. I asked if i can use the engine, AC & Power Steering of that. He confidently answered know problem if you pay or that esteem vx. Please suggest? He also gave me an option to of buying gypsy he showed to my with ISUZU engine if i manage to sale my current MG410 without loosing much money. I needs experts advices....please
Old 28th March 2010, 01:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Today i could find a garage in my town who can deal with modification of gypsy. I saw a MG410 gypsy their transplanted with a ISUZU 2.2l diesel engine. He gave me the confidence that he can deal with any kind of modification i want. He suggested me for coil spring suspension and Power steering setup if i plan to keep my current MG410 Gypsy. He has a scrap Esteem VX too. I asked if i can use the engine, AC & Power Steering of that. He confidently answered know problem if you pay or that esteem vx. Please suggest? He also gave me an option to of buying gypsy he showed to my with ISUZU engine if i manage to sale my current MG410 without loosing much money. I needs experts advices....please
Do not trust your RC to know the engine capacity and all, Yours is a 410W if its a 96 model. Do not go for an engine swap this early, esteem engine is the same engine in a king, but the problem is you would need a king GB transplant as well, to mate the esteem engine to you existing GB you would need some mods. Do not go for a diesel swap, you would kill the Gypsy by doing that, a diesel demands a lot of maintenance and would be unreliable for your kind of application. Use your vehicle till the time you know its limitations, do not go by hear say.

Little OT: Let me give you an example which you could relate to, I have a 18-55 Kit lens, people tell me its a total waste and i need 70-300 to take pics of wild life and a 50mm prime for portraits, If i have not explored the capabilities on my kit lens soon i would be looking for an upgrade without exploring the potential of these lens as well. I hope you got my point. BTW i still have my kit lens only .

Pramod
Old 28th March 2010, 02:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I would do. Steps 1-4 should happen at the same time.

1.) First and foremost check the brakes. There is no point in
going if you can not stop. Before you do any work on
the brakes, whatever their condition, do #2 below. If your engine is
sour you may not even want to mess with the brakes. You may want
to sell it. But please remember, safety first. It is possible that your
brakes need immediate attention, e.g. that it is not even safe to drive
home.

2.) Go to a trusted large Maruti dealer and get a compression check
done on the engine during the same visit you check the brakes.
Compression checks are a little tricky so go to a big dealer who is more likely to know how to do it and more likely to have the special equipment
needed to perform the test.

3.) While there have them look at the suspension, especially the front end. You do not want the wheels to fall off or the steering to disconnect. Please attend to this smartly as older vehicles often have warn out suspension and steering parts and this can kill you or somebody else. Again, it may not even be safe to drive. You have to find out immediately.

4.) Check the exhaust system. A leak here can be dangerous. Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Let us say you come out of the above checks with little or no problems. What do you do next?

I would:

Change the oil, oil filter and fuel filters.
Give it a major tune up.

Then I would throw some pre-emptive parts at it. I would buy a new battery, alternator, water pump and fan belt. Don't bother to try to guess whether these old parts are okay, just replace them. Then you know for sure.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 28th March 2010 at 02:36.
Old 28th March 2010, 03:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with the RC book
its says
manufactured on - 03 / 1996
engine Capacity - 796
no of cylinders - 3

The MUL guy says its 1000cc engine of maruti 1000. and the gypsy doesn't have lock hubs or side skirts ....but the logo is of MG410 not MG410W. Is the W missing due to repainted job.

Am completely confused now...
Are you sure the RC book is genuine? the data in the RC book is of maruti 800's and not gypsy's.

And to know if it is a 410w or not, just have a look underneath the chassis and if it looks same as in the below pic(red circled), then it is 410w or else not.
Attached Images

star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 18:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Do not trust your RC to know the engine capacity and all, Yours is a 410W if its a 96 model. Do not go for an engine swap this early, esteem engine is the same engine in a king, but the problem is you would need a king GB transplant as well, to mate the esteem engine to you existing GB you would need some mods. Do not go for a diesel swap, you would kill the Gypsy by doing that, a diesel demands a lot of maintenance and would be unreliable for your kind of application. Use your vehicle till the time you know its limitations, do not go by hear say.

Little OT: Let me give you an example which you could relate to, I have a 18-55 Kit lens, people tell me its a total waste and i need 70-300 to take pics of wild life and a 50mm prime for portraits, If i have not explored the capabilities on my kit lens soon i would be looking for an upgrade without exploring the potential of these lens as well. I hope you got my point. BTW i still have my kit lens only .

Pramod
Thanks Pramod ji i too doubt the details of RC book, It can't be a 796 cc engine in the gypsy i bought that to in the era when MUL was producing MG410W & MG413. I have given my vehicle for test drive to a person who want to buy it from me. I will get it back tomorrow. I will check for the details underneath the chessis as suggested By Star_Aqua to confirm if its a MG410W or MG410. If its a MG410 i will sale it but not if its MG410W. I will not swap the engine as soon then...i was thinking so because i am getting a scraped esteem VX at throw away price. I was thinking of using its components in the Gypsy i bought. Wouldn't a Esteem 5 speed GB works with gypsy?

Again thanks a lot Pramod Ji......to make me understand in the language i understand better. I too use the kit lens and for wildlife i too use 70-300 with a 2X TC. Can i see you shoots some where? You can check mine @ Flickr: Ar.Shakti Nanda (Busy)'s Photostream.

Regards
Shakti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Here is what I would do. Steps 1-4 should happen at the same time.

1.) First and foremost check the brakes. There is no point in
going if you can not stop. Before you do any work on
the brakes, whatever their condition, do #2 below. If your engine is
sour you may not even want to mess with the brakes. You may want
to sell it. But please remember, safety first. It is possible that your
brakes need immediate attention, e.g. that it is not even safe to drive
home.

2.) Go to a trusted large Maruti dealer and get a compression check
done on the engine during the same visit you check the brakes.
Compression checks are a little tricky so go to a big dealer who is more likely to know how to do it and more likely to have the special equipment
needed to perform the test.

3.) While there have them look at the suspension, especially the front end. You do not want the wheels to fall off or the steering to disconnect. Please attend to this smartly as older vehicles often have warn out suspension and steering parts and this can kill you or somebody else. Again, it may not even be safe to drive. You have to find out immediately.

4.) Check the exhaust system. A leak here can be dangerous. Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Let us say you come out of the above checks with little or no problems. What do you do next?

I would:

Change the oil, oil filter and fuel filters.
Give it a major tune up.

Then I would throw some pre-emptive parts at it. I would buy a new battery, alternator, water pump and fan belt. Don't bother to try to guess whether these old parts are okay, just replace them. Then you know for sure.

Happy motoring.
Very very vital points scribbled their....that's a work plan for me....i surely will look in to the things the moment i get the vehicle at my doors. Am thinking replacing the suspension with coil spring suspension. any suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Are you sure the RC book is genuine? the data in the RC book is of maruti 800's and not gypsy's.

And to know if it is a 410w or not, just have a look underneath the chassis and if it looks same as in the below pic(red circled), then it is 410w or else not.
Thank you , thank you and thank you......This the most vital thing i need ....lot of things depend on the identification of the model...thanks for the help... i will check that tomorrow once i get my gypsy back.

THANKS AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post

huuurreemine seems a MG410W thanks a lot to Star_Aqua. here is the picture of the details to confirm if its a MG410W,I have given it for total mechanical restoration at MUL. They have given a 35K damage to restore what ever possible. I will take care of other things later.

Fortunately i did saw a MG410 in at garage & also took the pictures of the same details for comparison with MG410W. following are the details of MG410

Regards
Shakti

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2010 at 17:49. Reason: back 2 back. Externally hosted image removed.
shaktinanda is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2010, 23:11   #24
BANNED

Hello Everybody Need help again....
My Gypsy is still at MUL service station, I have asked then to take their liberty and change what ever they think is needed. Follow is in my Job Card. They have given me a estimated expenditure of Rs.40K

JOB TO BE DONE
1. All Lubricant Change
2. Steering Box Replace
3. Strut Check
4. King Pin O/H
5. Front Wheel Balancing Check
6. Brake Dusting
7. Caliper Pin Greasing
8. All Electrical Line Check
9. Engine Tunning
10.UJ Cross Replace
11.Balance Rod Bush Replace
12.Leaf spark bush replace
13.Tapped Cover Packing Replace
14.Plug Point Condenser Replace

I want to put a AC and PS, MUL guys have agreed to put the AC that is used in ALTO CAR for Additional Rs.30K, They have no concrete idea abt Power Steering but they are guessing it will cost additional Rs.40K. I don't mind paying a little bit extra at MUL service station then doing it outside, at least i will get genuine stuffs @ MUL for sure. That means i will be spending around Rs1.1 Lakh for the basic things and mod i want to do with my GYPSY. Can gurus please tell me if am spending my money in the right way. Also please suggest if any more basic things i should replace or workout. I want all the basic works done at one go. My Gypsy is their at MUL and they are working on it very slowly as parts are not available and they are waiting for them. I certainly wouldn't like to put the vehicle for weeks with MUL for basics services every month.

I have ordered for alloy wheels with Bridgestone Tyres from Hyderabad through a trustworthy friend who was X car accessory dealer who is getting me all this at a throw away price. all for 18K . I don't know how is he getting it. I will put them if i like or else shall sell off for half of the price.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:07   #25
BHPian

Just a suggestion: do not do the PS now. Drive it for a while & then see if you really require the PS. Also if the MASS have not done a PS job earlier then you will end up making a mess of your steering.
FYI - PS for a Gypsy typically costs 15K including installation here.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everybody Need help again....
My Gypsy is still at MUL service station, I have asked then to take their liberty and change what ever they think is needed. Follow is in my Job Card. They have given me a estimated expenditure of Rs.40K

JOB TO BE DONE
1. All Lubricant Change
2. Steering Box Replace
3. Strut Check
4. King Pin O/H
5. Front Wheel Balancing Check
6. Brake Dusting
7. Caliper Pin Greasing
8. All Electrical Line Check
9. Engine Tunning
10.UJ Cross Replace
11.Balance Rod Bush Replace
12.Leaf spark bush replace
13.Tapped Cover Packing Replace
14.Plug Point Condenser Replace

I want to put a AC and PS, MUL guys have agreed to put the AC that is used in ALTO CAR for Additional Rs.30K, They have no concrete idea abt Power Steering but they are guessing it will cost additional Rs.40K. I don't mind paying a little bit extra at MUL service station then doing it outside, at least i will get genuine stuffs @ MUL for sure. That means i will be spending around Rs1.1 Lakh for the basic things and mod i want to do with my GYPSY. Can gurus please tell me if am spending my money in the right way. Also please suggest if any more basic things i should replace or workout. I want all the basic works done at one go. My Gypsy is their at MUL and they are working on it very slowly as parts are not available and they are waiting for them. I certainly wouldn't like to put the vehicle for weeks with MUL for basics services every month.

I have ordered for alloy wheels with Bridgestone Tyres from Hyderabad through a trustworthy friend who was X car accessory dealer who is getting me all this at a throw away price. all for 18K . I don't know how is he getting it. I will put them if i like or else shall sell off for half of the price.

40K is too high for all that, MUL A S S has no idea how to handle a gypsy, and this is true across the country due to extreamly low volumes of gypsy being rolled out. I would suggest find a good independent garage to get the mods done. AC should not go above 20K, and the AC fitment in gypsy leads to some heating issues unless done right, SO do not give it to someone who has not done this before. There are many threads on AC fitment which you might wanna refer.

Get the basics done at MUL and for MODS find a good independent guy. If you spend 1.1 lac over and above the price of your Gypsy it will still be not what you want and ultimately you would end up with a bad investment which you would not be able to recover as no one will pay 2+ Lac for your gypsy even with all those mods.

Gypsy and jeeps are not brought to taste the are built to taste, so be patient and do it in steps and do only the needful. Think practical, For example Getting alloys for a vehicle used for getting into the forest for photography might be a bad idea, stones might damage them and ultimately means money lost. Power stearing fouls during offroading and a bad instal can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, Go to a wild life reserve and see the gypsis there, there are some mods done on them and none of them have PS and that is for a reason. You can get your steering box repaired and get the ply adjusted and your steering will feel light. I am saying all this based on my personal experience and i would be happy if you dont make the same mistakes i made while getting here .

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 6th April 2010 at 09:07.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:06   #27

Its not to discourage you. Please cross verify your gypsy papers with RTO. Mentioning 796 cc engine on RC book ! I had come across 2-3 such vehicles in Delhi 2 years back. Later came to know all are fake.

Happy jeeping,

Viju
Old 12th April 2010, 20:08   #28
BANNED

Thanks @ rmonie @ Pramod Kumar Ji & @ Viju ji

@ Rmonie
Yes i too have decied the same...no more Power steering...MASS people here have no experience in doing so. Now i Just want me gypsy back on road...It is Still in MASS for King Pin O/H.

@Pramod Ji
You are absolutely right MASS here doesn't have much experience in Gypsy. and most of the mechanics and advisers here are very young and don't have done much work on gypsy due to its limited nos. I have cooled down myself and now sticking strictly to your advices. Thanks a lot for the insight.

Am just waiting for the basic mechanical works to be completed by MASS so that i can at least get have the gypsy on road . They are saying that everything as listed above has been done expect King Pin O/H...now i don't understand much about it. They say the spare parts are not available and they can't say when they can get those spares also. The vehicle is just laying in MASS covered with dust and dirt all over without any work done. I requested then to give me the vehicle for body work till they get the spares. so that i can at least save some time but they refused that too. The vehicle can't move without the KING PIN. so no options except waiting for the new spares to get my tiger on the road :(

@ Viju Ji
I have all the original papers and even the Electronic Card...i will try to correct these information while transferring the vehicle in my name. I think its a mistake done at RTO office. Papers are okay
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:29   #29
BHPian

Re: Need Help on Gypsy MG410

Hi guys just wanted to ask you all for some information on the gypsy MG410 narrow track. I have been offered one by a friend at pretty much throw away price so am seriously considering picking it up. It is not in great shape and i am prepared for it, so i just wanted to know from you all how easy/hard is it to get spares for the original gypsy. From what i read it seems the mpfi MG413w has ample spares around. could some owners shed some light on whether or not we still get spares for the original Mg410?

I think my friends gypsy is from the pre 1990 era, maybe 86 or 89.
Old 11th September 2016, 00:36   #30
BHPian

Re: Need Help on Gypsy MG410

Gypsy Gurus need help, my MG410w after getting it recently serviced at Maruti Dealer workshop has starting problems.

Problem 1: At cold start it takes a lot of cranking before it starts

Problem 2: After about 10 mins of driving, if I hit the brake the engine shuts off. That is if I take my leg off the accelerator. It then refuses to start. It only starts after 10 minutes. Which means the after some cooling down.

Anyone any suggestions what might be wrong?

My guess:
It could be because of the Carb setting. I tried adjusting the Idle mixture screw, backed it out by 2 turns.

It solved the cold start issue (Problem 1), But I still have Problem 2.
Note: Battery is brand new and tank has petrol.

Most Viewed