Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:56   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??

After the engine's stationary running in period, the Jeep is being driven around in regular traffic, initially temp. was crossing the 80 mark, but now has stabilized to just below 80.

Its a Jeep thing they say. A blast of warmest air coming through the firewall which needs to be closed and noise from the center flooring GB panel which was cut up to accomodate the KMT-90.

The LSD and disc brakes are performing beautifully. At an acute turn and moderately high acceleration the LSD kicks the rear wheels and makes its presence felt. Discs are braking smooth and hard.

The 72 BHP, XD3P E is way too powerful and the power to weight ratio is conspiciously evident.

Aircleaner corrected, Coolant overflow bottle in place, radiator alignment needs to be done along with closing the grille gap.

Silencer box presently between the two right wheels needs to go original position and tail pipe to come out behind the left rear wheel.

The problem right now is excessive noise from the KMT-90 GB and an overdose of vibration when stationary. Forgot to photograph the 2 wedge plates below the GB cross member, something needs to be done here to reduce the vibration.

Will try and solve this within two days.

Regards,

Air cleaner in position with dust indicator.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0493.jpg
No place for battery here, or here.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0495.jpg
So, temporarily here it is (when I had bought it was between the front seats). CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0496.jpg
Rear diff with LSD, (MM550)
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0500.jpg
Front with Discs. (MM550)
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0501.jpg
Many, many things to be done before the makeover.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0497.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 22nd March 2011 at 19:58.
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:20   #167
BHPian

Wow, What an Example of true knowledge,Experience and passion.
How is the stability in higher speeds ? is that 550 diffs helping a lot ?
What about the fenders keeping the same or changing to the old model ? Waiting for the final outcome.
- Sreejesh
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:00   #168
Senior - BHPian

Fazal, the jeep is sexy, but grossly under tyred IMO. Please give pictures of your GB mount and prop shaft angles (so that we learn !!!)
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Wow, What an Example of true knowledge,Experience and passion.
How is the stability in higher speeds ? is that 550 diffs helping a lot ?
What about the fenders keeping the same or changing to the old model ? Waiting for the final outcome.
- Sreejesh
Sreejesh,
True knowledge is something I am way behind in, lot to learn.
Arka is the one helping me build this effective offroad machine.

Yes, the diffs. are making a pronounced difference as mentioned in my last post reg. the brakes and LSD. Apart from this the turning radius is much, much improved due to a wider wheelbase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Fazal, the jeep is sexy, but grossly under tyred IMO. Please give pictures of your GB mount and prop shaft angles (so that we learn !!!)
Vikram,
Will post pics. of GB mount and PS angle.
The look of this Jeep is going to be second only to performance, so meanwhile ignore the tyres and all else that doesn't appeal.
Regards,
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:42   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Aircleaner corrected, Coolant overflow bottle in place, radiator alignment needs to be done along with closing the grille gap.
Hi Fazal,

Please add a J/L Rubber Hose to the Air-Cleaner Inlet and turn it towards the Firewall/Cowl.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:44   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Please add a J/L Rubber Hose to the Air-Cleaner Inlet and turn it towards the Firewall/Cowl.
Arka,
Thanks, will do it today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Fazal Saab, are you thinking of putting the 6.5 degree wedges or 6 mm plates (rectangular flats)? Be careful of the fan clearances.
Spike
I think I will need to do this, the 6.5 degeree wedge.

Attaching quotes from Jaggu's thread below for reference:

Sir Behram:
As far as 6 degree wedge is concerned, when we did the first CJ3BRHD/LHD with XDP4.90 engine, we introduced this as it was required to lift the front of the engine to prevent interference with the front axle on layout.

Spike: Yes, wedges must be on both sides in a CJ340DP / Classic. Have a look.

It also maintains the engine inclination from the front to the rear.

The spacers / wedge mentioned here are to ensure this geometry is satisfied.

Now, when I go for the wedge as mentioned above, engine will tilt the engine further back. The fan-radiator clearence issue can be dealt with by removing the earlier wooden spacer between the grille and the radiator.

Thats the plan, please advice.

Regards,

The present set up, 2 rectangular plates on either side on the GB cross member.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0502.jpg
Angle of PS.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0503.jpg
Can you notice the royal mess up in the driveline in the below two pics?
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0505.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0508.jpg
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:09   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Can you notice the royal mess up in the driveline in the below two pics?
something looks upside down or downside up.

BTW where can i buy axle, axle parts & front prop-shaft in hyderabad?
if you have any contact details please pm me.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
something looks upside down or downside up.

BTW where can i buy axle, axle parts & front prop-shaft in hyderabad?
if you have any contact details please pm me.
Jeepster,
You did it with the upside down thing.

There are two markets that deal with old Jeep parts here and if you need anything you have to look around as you may find one thing here, another thing there.
I have no contact info as I go there personally.
Regards,
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

in that case i will have to visit hyderabad soon. (if i dont get the parts at mahindra A.S.S.)
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:55   #175
Team-BHP Support

Fazal saab, you need the angled wedges for your jeep i guess. Also i think the prop shaft is similar to one on my jeep!!! Finally i see another of same kind. This is not OE according to BD for CJ, but i guess your transmission bits are tricked up? This one has tube dia of 2.5 inch compared to 1.8 for OE. The tube part is shorter and the yoke thicker compared to OE.
Old 24th March 2011, 01:12   #176
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - You just stole my thoughts and words! That was the first thought that came to me after looking at Fazal sirs Jeeps Prop shaft! seems like its your prop shafts twin!

Fazal sir - do you experience the same "noise" as Jaggu is? This info would sure help Jaggu head in a proper direction on his Jaggu experiment!
Old 24th March 2011, 07:51   #177
Senior - BHPian

Fazal - Janiah's helper design here too? Siva said they were very very bouncy and HARD on a SWB, do you experience it too?
Old 24th March 2011, 08:36   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Fazal - Janiah's helper design here too? Siva said they were very very bouncy and HARD on a SWB, do you experience it too?
Santosh,
Janiah springs are no problem to me at all, now.

Shiva wanted his suspension to be rigid as it was intended for offroads and 10 leafs front and 11 leafs rear was his set up, I too followed him and got the same done on my 340. On my way back home from Janiah, I realized that I messed up by experimenting with the original setup and shared with Shiva what I learnt.

Went to Janiah and got one leaf removed on all fours and it made a huge difference, I still feel its a bit bouncy on speed breaker like bumps, after sometime may get one more removed.

Its a Jeep thing they say, experiment until you get it right, thats the fun of learning while building a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Jaggu - You just stole my thoughts and words! That was the first thought that came to me after looking at Fazal sirs Jeeps Prop shaft! seems like its your prop shafts twin!

Fazal sir - do you experience the same "noise" as Jaggu is? This info would sure help Jaggu head in a proper direction on his Jaggu experiment!
Shubz,
I have no noise or vibrations when running at all at lower or higher speeds from the shaft or rear end.

My problems are different and more than Jaggu's. My problems are stationary vibrations which should be solved by tomorrow.

The Jaggu Experiment has thought us all a lot of things and we still are learning.

Yesterday I noticed the misaligned propeller shaft viewed through the engine end, this is one thing that can put stress on the joint crosses, shaft and much more in the GB, Jaggu please check this angle in your Dwarf.

Jaggu, congrats...we have unwanted twins!!!
Regards,

An incorrect driveline. Notice the inward angle of the PS from GB to rear diff., should be somewhere on the angle of the red line.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_0508.jpg
Old 24th March 2011, 10:34   #179
BHPian

Fazal bhai nice mod , i don see the battery in the engine bay , where have you placed the battery ? My friend has done the same setup for his Cj3B , we were confused about placing the air cleaner and battery , idea for air cleaner got it from your jeep now , for the battery still confused .
Old 24th March 2011, 11:04   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fazal - after our telecon, yesterday night I calmly went through this thread, typed my reply in a word file as my wireless allowed me to see the thread but for some reason did not allow me to post so I am cutting and posting just now.

If you want to use XD series engine in a CL series chassis layout, you must incline the powertrain by 6 degrees in North South direction. If this is not done, you will break the sump because the front axle will hit it. By layout, the front axle articulates by 99 mm. Wedge drawing is given in Jaggu's vehicle thread. Please obtain the wedges and use them. Please do not try to manufacture as the wedges have slots in them to incorporate the bolts in correct orientation. If not used properly, the bolts will buckle and you will get severe vibrations. You also need the "spike arrestor" bracket with the bump stop under the RH long member. Please incorporate these changes immediately. Changeover from 3 speed to KMT90 requires that the transmission cross member must move back by 1 and 15/64 inches, means approximately 31.4 mm. The photographs do not indicate whether you are using Armada NGCS derived full clutch cable with a U bend and a left oriented fork or you are still using the clutch cross shaft. Please post these photographs for my comments. If clutch ratio is not correct, you will get all sorts of problems and this will make you go round in circles trying to figure out what happened. People have sold off their vehicles for such silly reasons. Please check the rear axle orientation also, the slip yoke of the propeller shaft is too much extended even in stationary condition, this may cause failure during articulation. Please cut the top radiator hose and bring it below radiator level otherwise you will never be able to fill the cooling system completely, leading to hot spots and consequent engine issue. Radiator cannot be mounted using wooden blocks, please fabricate a proper rectangular support, using press brake. You can see a standard CL340DP part for reference. I hope you have strengthened the dash panel when you have fitted suspended pedals, otherwise the sheet metal flex will dilute brake / clutch performance. In crisis situation on the road, this can be very disturbing, so please be extremely careful. Please look at Thar CRDe / Bolero VLX for design cues, you will find simple solutions which you can implement on one vehicle. On Thar at 140 kmph, we just cannot take any chances. We need to go through CAE for our mainstream work but for you it is not required as you are doing only one vehicle. I would have preferred if you had used Bolero XD3P front engine mounts instead of angular engine mounts as you have used XD3P engine which has same boundary dimensions.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed