Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 16:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Mad Dog

Hi Fazal,

With the XD2S you can go in for

1) Front - The MM550XD 51" Front Axle and Disc Brakes and 4.88:1 (44/9) Diffs
2) Rear - MM550XD 51" SFRA with 30 spline and Track-Lock LSD, and 4.88:1 Diffs
3) Maxxis 235/75/15 Trepadors on FC Van 15" Rims.

I'm Sure you are getting the drift, a Retro Looking Modern Monster.

Retro = Looks
Modern = Mechanical System & Tyres

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st April 2010, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Arka,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Following are my apprehensions.
The 51" front and rear axles will protrude out of the jeeps bodyline.
The Maxxis tyres will make the steering heavy.

How would it be if I continue with the existing axles (which are fitted with 540 brakes/ drums and are booster assist) and is it possible to have Track-Lock LSD on the present configuration and convert the present to 4.88:1 Diffs?

The CJ presently has a KMT-90 mated with a Hurricane.

Want to build this CJ into a good cruiser and a very capable off-roader.
I am looking up to you for long term advice on the technical front.

Thanks,
Old 1st April 2010, 21:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Fazal.
A little late into the discussion, i never ventured there as i consider myself to be an "originalist" (if such a word exists) of sorts.
Then the reliability and proven manners of the Hurricane. etc etc blah blah (i could go on and on)
The fact remains that you want a capable offroader and are somehow sold on the idea of plonking the oil burner into the engine bay of you CJ. (no harm with that though)
Wouldnt say i didnt toy with the idea of plonking a more powerful engine and mating it to the T-90 or then changing to a mated gearbox with the diesel in my CJ (even thought of an auto) but the modalities of doing that were very complicated. Finally i decided to rebuild the Hurricane and got a spare engine for that too. So i stayed with the gas burner/guzzler

If i were you, id stick to the original petrol engine for sheer reliability issues over the diesel but then again you rc endorsement is of a diesel and you did say there was an othr project coming on (waiting for that), go ahead and build that hybrid. There are many here who will help you with the process in which all of us will learn. I have my eyes glued to your thread.

All the best for the build mate, just keep us informed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Fazal.
A little late into the discussion, i never ventured there as i consider myself to be an "originalist" (if such a word exists) of sorts.

If i were you, id stick to the original petrol engine for sheer reliability issues over the diesel but then again you rc endorsement is of a diesel and you did say there was an other project coming on (waiting for that), go ahead and build that hybrid. There are many here who will help you with the process in which all of us will learn. I have my eyes glued to your thread.

All the best for the build mate, just keep us informed.
V-16,
Thanks for your inputs, I too do not deviate from the originality much as you may have seen in my earlier projects.

The Hurricane would continue here too, but for three major factors
1. The XD2 (I already have and have been saving since 2 years+).
2. Diesel endorsement on RC.
3. Experimenting for a better off-roader-cruiser.

The valueable help coming in is priceless. Arka's suggestion and the possibilities kept me awake most of the night, I might just go for his configuration. Lets see how this project evolves, I too have no clue.
Regards,
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Arka,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Following are my apprehensions.
The 51" front and rear axles will protrude out of the jeeps bodyline.

How would it be if I continue with the existing axles (which are fitted with 540 brakes/ drums and are booster assist) and is it possible to have Track-Lock LSD on the present configuration and convert the present to 4.88:1 Diffs?

The CJ presently has a KMT-90 mated with a Hurricane.

Want to build this CJ into a good cruiser and a very capable off-roader.
I am looking up to you for long term advice on the technical front.
Hi Fazal,

The post 1972 American JEEPs came with a 51" Track Front and Rear (CJ5)

So fitting on a CJ3B will not make the wheels protrude too much.

With the Wider Track the 235-75-15 will have no problems,in the turning radius.

With the 235-75-15 the steering is very manageable, will not be very heavy.

The Track-Lock is 30 Spline for a 51" SFRA, so you will need to work on the Axles if you have to fit it in a 48.5" SFRA i.e make custom 30 Spline Axles.

Regards,

Arka

Jeep Axle: Dana 44
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
JeepMkd,
Thank god you have the very same engine.

KMT 90 (MM540) is what I have fitted as of now mated with a Hurricane. This is what I had envisaged that the lighter CJ would sing duets with the refined XD2+KMT 90.

Why are you importing KMT 90 from Germany?

I suppose the right end of the sump would be in the way of the front PP?

It would be helpful if you can add pics. of the plates which accommodate the original factory engine mounts.

The missing choke cable, alternatives please.

I will check and see if the cross member needs to be pushed back , but it will definitely hurt the break over angle.

Now you stumped me with the Mercury HG meter thing. I don't knows its original place or use.

Of course I will need more info and need your help.

Thanks for this too, Sincerely.

Regards,

I'm buying the transmission from Germany because I couldn't find any locally and not even neighboring countries.

Well, as I understand you already have the KMT-90 in place. I said I'll need to push the center crossmember back because I have no intentions to change the position of the engine.
You already have the KMT-90 installed, so do a measuring and check if the engine will clear the radiator. If there's enough space (I believe there is) you won't need to do anything to the transmission and the crossmember. Just bolt the engine on and decide where the mounting plates will go.

Yes, the right part of the sump is on the way. The part that you have pointed in the first photo. See the photo below how my father fixed that problem. See the first photo.

I've also taken photos of the mounting plates. You can see that the original are left in place, just in case you want to drop the Hurricane back in. As your engine will be fitted a bit more to the front due to the transmission, I don't know if you there will be enough space to keep the original ones in place. See the photos (2,3) taken from the front and from below.

Photo number 4 shows the choke cable mounting. The cable goes all the way to the fuel pump (mine is made by Lucas). I don't know if another part will fit.

About the mercury gauge, I think about the element. This one is the original and doesn't work with electricity but with mercury like a thermometer. In photo 5 you can see it's mounting location.

9. The KMT-90 has the starter notch on the right side, and the starter on the XD2 is mounted on the left side. In addition, the starter gets in the way of the steering box so you will need to fit it on the other side anyway. This is an easy fix.

10. Consider cutting the firewall a bit if the engine is too far away from the transmission. This is already done on mine. The KMT-90 is longer and you have bolted it in the T-90's place, so this probably won't need to be done on yours.

If you have any additional question feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-1.jpg  

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-2.jpg  

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-3.jpg  

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-5.jpg  

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-6.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2010, 12:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

JeepMkd,
Thanks for your very valuable inputs, it is enough reference material for me to start to project, if and when I require help I will contact you.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Fazal,

With the 235-75-15 the steering is very manageable, will not be very heavy.
I have Maxxis Trepadors (235) on my Classic. Swapped them for my 215s HTs. Frankly there is no noticeable difference in steering effort. Maybe because the total contact patch remains the same as the hard terrain ones due to the fact that there are big voids between the lugs of the Trepadors.

However, i'm not too impressed by tarmac grip of the maxxis. I need to get my wheel bearings changed, so i'll reserve my final verdict till then.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have Maxxis Trepadors (235) on my Classic. Swapped them for my 215s HTs. Frankly there is no noticeable difference in steering effort. Maybe because the total contact patch remains the same as the hard terrain ones due to the fact that there are big voids between the lugs of the Trepadors.

However, i'm not too impressed by tarmac grip of the maxxis. I need to get my wheel bearings changed, so i'll reserve my final verdict till then.
Tejas,
Please suggest (235) tyres... for 6 days on road and 1 day off road, which should have good grip on road and shouldn't wear out like the MRF or Apollo army tyres. Tyres with muscular looks.
Regards,
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas,
Please suggest (235) tyres... for 6 days on road and 1 day off road, which should have good grip on road and shouldn't wear out like the MRF or Apollo army tyres. Tyres with muscular looks.
Regards,
Dear Mr. Fazal,
My jeep is for offroading more and not for daily use. The off road ability of the trepedors is superb and that way I'm happy with it. On road while cornering specially they tend to loose grip very very easily when compared to my old 215 bridgestone HT tyres.
I have sat in quite a few vehicles fitted with bf goodrich AT and Yokohama geolanders AT. I personally felt the BF better both on and off the road in 235s.
Old 4th April 2010, 11:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr. Fazal,
My jeep is for offroading more and not for daily use. The off road ability of the trepedors is superb and that way I'm happy with it. On road while cornering specially they tend to loose grip very very easily when compared to my old 215 bridgestone HT tyres.
I have sat in quite a few vehicles fitted with bf goodrich AT and Yokohama geolanders AT. I personally felt the BF better both on and off the road in 235s.
Tejas,
Thanks again.
I am counting on your experience and narrowing down on the BF Goodrich AT.
Your valuable advice and personal experience reg. the negative aspects of Trepedors is very helpful.
Regards,
Old 4th April 2010, 11:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,
Can you also please lead me to the source of BF Goodrich AT for visuals and pricing?
Thanks.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I personally felt the BF better both on and off the road in 235s.
just an addition/clarification to this... BF in comparison to yoko geolanders. The Maxxis trepadors are still much better off the road. The trepadors are a compromise between the mudzillas which are horrible on road the the All terrains.

Quote:
Tejas,
Can you also please lead me to the source of BF Goodrich AT for visuals and pricing?
Thanks.
See the below thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-bombay-3.html

A few pics from there:

(these are 235/70/r16 though):

And these are my tyres (maxxis trepador 235/75/15):

They cost me Rs. 5250/- each.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...classic-5.html

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th April 2010 at 12:08.
Old 4th April 2010, 14:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,
Thank you again.
Old 4th April 2010, 18:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

@fazal sir
there are quite a few pics of BFG AT's on my gypsy thread. Further another BHPIAN Satnam (handle : bigman) also has bfg's on his MM550.

I did the completed the Desert Storm this year on my BFG and was more than happy with the performance. Very good tyres!!

Most Viewed