Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 19:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@fazal sir
there are quite a few pics of BFG AT's on my gypsy thread. Further another BHPIAN Satnam (handle : bigman) also has bfg's on his MM550.

I did the completed the Desert Storm this year on my BFG and was more than happy with the performance. Very good tyres!!
Harjeev,
I am certian now after experienced guys like you and Tejas have endorsed it.
I need to know the on road performance and life of the BF, can you kindly elaborate on that and also the cost and availability.
Regards,
Old 4th April 2010, 20:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Harjeev,
I am certian now after experienced guys like you and Tejas have endorsed it.
I need to know the on road performance and life of the BF, can you kindly elaborate on that and also the cost and availability.
Regards,
Please read the following post by Gotzuk as it helped me make my decision:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1166685

David from Mumbai has recently bought some for his 550 so check his thread for the current cost.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, Bigman,

Harjeev you have changed it from alloys back to the stock Gypsy wheels 15", why? and do these tyres balloon on the stock wheels as much as they did on the alloys?
Bigman you have the BF's on your 550 on army rims 16", I could not get it from the pic if the tyres too are 15" or 16".
Let me know how is the handling on and off road and the wear ratio on road.
Regards,
Old 4th April 2010, 22:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

On our 550 we have the 16" on army rims. Not really driven the jeep enough to develop a view on wear etc but the link I posted has given a review on his wear pattern etc.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Icon Dog

Old 6th April 2010, 07:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev, Bigman,

Harjeev you have changed it from alloys back to the stock Gypsy wheels 15", why?
Fazal I changed from alloys back to stock as the Alloys were not to my liking and I more comfortable to have the BFG's on stock rims. So I sold off the alloys and shifted back to the stock's.

Quote:
and do these tyres balloon on the stock wheels as much as they did on the alloys?
I dont think that these tyres balooned on the alloys and certianly don't do on the alloys. The size that I have is 215/75/R15 which is just 10 mm wider than the 205's with majority of the people have on the gypsy. I have even heard that some people have 235's on the stock rims!!!

Quote:
Let me know how is the handling on and off road and the wear ratio on road.
Regards,
The handling of road is really good. Another Bhpian Gotzuk has been using these tyres on his Gypsy and has done quite a number of rallies in the past 3-4 years on the Gypsy. He has stock rims and 215/75's BFG's. And I am also not mistaken than he has clocked 60-70k kms on these tyres and is really happy.
Another reason for me going for these tyres is that the side wall of this tyre is really strong. I mean when the tyre is not inflated and you try to press it with your hand you can literally feel the toughness and I think that this is the only tyre in the market that comes with a 3 ply sidewall, All other Yokos etc are 2 ply. So in off-roading and driving is rocky and hilly terrains terms harder the sidewall better the tyre.
One more reason was these tyres were the couple of hundred bucks cheaper then the Yokos in the same size in Delhi. Though this was not the only deciding factor but a convincing one
Old 6th April 2010, 08:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Fazal Though this was not the only deciding factor but a convincing one
Harjeev,
Thanks again.
Your inputs are very helpful in deciding the right shoes for a jeep, especially when you have various factors (stated) that should be looked into before zeroing on the final one.
Like earlier mentioned 6 days on-road, 1 day off-road is the tyre I am looking at and found it, thanks.
Regards,
Old 6th April 2010, 10:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Fazal sir,
I agree with Harjeev and Bigman. There are quite a few in chennai using BFG and they are happy with the tyres performance. It unsettles only when you push it hard! Best compromise on and off road tyre i must say! Maxxis Trepedor's aid in lighter steering, good on slush and average on sand. I do not know high speed handling of these tyres.

BFG my take for you

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 6th April 2010 at 10:10.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:12   #54
Team-BHP Support

BFG is excellent for rocks and rocky terrain, pretty ok for the roads also. But when it comes to slush, they have a big handicap. They dont have the self cleaning thread and make the thread go glaze with mud.

If you can be lil careful with sidewall on rocks, Yoko's are a good bet.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Fazal sir,
I agree with Harjeev and Bigman. There are quite a few in chennai using BFG and they are happy with the tyres performance.
BFG my take for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
BFG is excellent for rocks and rocky terrain, pretty ok for the roads also. But when it comes to slush, they have a big handicap.
Vinod and Jaggu,
Thanks.
I have narrowed down to BF Goodrich, after much deliberations, comparisons and feed backs I feel these are good on and off road tyres with lesser negatives as compared to others.
Now the question is 15" or 16"? If 16" what wheels to go for, army will be too heavy on 3B and I don't like alloys on Jeeps.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th April 2010 at 11:34.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod and Jaggu,
Thanks.
Now the question is 15" or 16"? If 16" what wheels to go for, army will be too heavy on 3B and I don't like alloys on Jeeps.
Regards,
BFG's look best on Gypsy rims. How ever you will loose that essential ramp over angle once you choose smaller tire. I think you should go for 235's on 16 original jeep rim. You would loose on looks. Tough choice. If hard core off roading is not the full time requirement then go for Gypsy rims with BFG.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 6th April 2010 at 12:21.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Tejas,
Can you also please lead me to the source of BF Goodrich AT for visuals and pricing?
Thanks.
Find Your Dealer / Buying Guide / Home - www.michelin.in

they cost 5600 for the 235/70/r16 i picked them from safi tyres 02226490573

Last edited by davids4x4mm550 : 6th April 2010 at 14:43.
Old 6th April 2010, 16:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here are some visuals of the tyres.

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-bfg.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-bfg2.jpg
Old 6th April 2010, 18:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Bigman, David, Vinod,
Thank you all.
Now please suggest 16" wheels apart from the jeep originals, FC but not alloys which match the present PCD.
I could go for the later model twin 10 hole army rims but the PCD will not match, had to return these brand new ones (in pic.) as they did not fit my white 540 three years back.
Regards,
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-03062007.jpg
Old 6th April 2010, 19:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
BFG's look best on Gypsy rims. How ever you will loose that essential ramp over angle once you choose smaller tire. I think you should go for 235's on 16 original jeep rim. You would loose on looks. Tough choice. If hard core off roading is not the full time requirement then go for Gypsy rims with BFG.
Vinod which 16" rims are you talking about, the ones for 6.00x16, 7.00x16 or 7.50x16? As you know correct rim sizes for all these are different.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks