Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 20:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

OT- Fazal Bhai's White Jeep has been shown in the South African offroad forum.
Mahindra Thar - Page 3 - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast

Really a proud moment! Does this fuel the fire in you?

Spike

Mods- please remove or delete if found inappropriate.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

15 or 16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Bigman, David, Vinod,
Thank you all.
Now please suggest 16" wheels apart from the jeep originals, FC but not alloys which match the present PCD.
I could go for the later model twin 10 hole army rims but the PCD will not match, had to return these brand new ones (in pic.) as they did not fit my white 540 three years back.
Regards,
Attachment 323649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Vinod which 16" rims are you talking about, the ones for 6.00x16, 7.00x16 or 7.50x16? As you know correct rim sizes for all these are different.

Spike
235's technically speaking should not be used on 4.5 j rim. I have been using it over 2 years, that's a different issue. This is the reason i asked Fazal sir to tell me if he is going to use 3B off road extensively. If that 3B would see occasional off road then i suggest 15inch wheel rim and probably 255 BFG tyres if he can find one. But steering would become tough.

Changing PCD is an expensive affair. Since this jeep is a budget project i wouldn't suggest one.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
235's technically speaking should not be used on 4.5 j rim. I have been using it over 2 years, that's a different issue. This is the reason i asked Fazal sir to tell me if he is going to use 3B off road extensively. If that 3B would see occasional off road then i suggest 15inch wheel rim and probably 255 BFG tyres if he can find one. But steering would become tough.

Changing PCD is an expensive affair. Since this jeep is a budget project i wouldn't suggest one.
Vinod,

Project LYNX: Build this CJ into a powerful, wide stanced, light weight and sized on and off-roader without sacrificing the character of a CJ , minimum cosmetic changes. Yet it should have a distinctively different look and not necessarily like THE DOG. Though its roll over/ frame I might incorporate into my design

As most of you know I am a wildlife enthusiast, hence I have named this project LYNX, after the wild cat which is a small but powerful and a very succesful predator.

I plan to use this CJ on the lines of an SUV, 4 days in city and 2 days out off-roading, OTR's etc. Though I do not have hard core off-roading in mind but do not want this Jeep to be deficient in any way.

The prime objective is to have a very off-road worthy jeep yet not to sacrifice on the steering comfort. 255's would definitely harden the steering so would heavy rims like the army.

I am planning to go the Arka way by changing the front and the rear to 550 diffs. with discs. and full floating rear. Noticed that the available 550 differentials in the market are also the same PCD as my Jeeps, which means the 10 twin hole rim ( in pic.) will not fit.

While carrying out the differential changes what can be done to accomodate the above rims as they are much lighter but equally wide as the 10 oval hole army rims.

I would go in for 15" Gypsy wheels as they would fit the BF's well.

I need that extra bit of GC that I can get by going in for 16" tyres, for which I need rims that are not heavy nor too thin.

Need help and advice from the experts.This is a project which will not be entirely mine but you all are technical partners here from start to finish.

Regards,

The inspirational LYNX. Notice the paws for traction and grip.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-lynx.jpg
Old 7th April 2010, 21:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The prime objective is to have a very off-road worthy jeep yet not to sacrifice on the steering comfort. 255's would definitely harden the steering so would heavy rims like the army.
Use the bolero PS unit or ensure proper kingpin alignment for a smooth steering.

Quote:
I am planning to go the Arka way by changing the front and the rear to 550 diffs. with discs. and full floating rear.
Please drive Arka's jeep before deciding to go Arka way. His jeep is great offroad, but that is because of its underbody mechanicals rather than the body on it or who is driving it .

Arka's Jeep with AC, PS, Honda Accord Seats, Disc Brakes would be a great machine..

The OKBJ is to simplify maintenance as well as ensure better reliability AFAIK.

Quote:
I would go in for 15" Gypsy wheels as they would fit the BF's well.

I need that extra bit of GC that I can get by going in for 16" tyres, for which I need rims that are not heavy nor too thin.
Sir, 15" wheels will reduce your GC while 16" work the other way. Please work on optimising your road speed as well as offroad necessities.

BTW, I like the project name LYNX

Last edited by headers : 7th April 2010 at 21:20.
Old 8th April 2010, 00:10   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
BFG is excellent for rocks and rocky terrain, pretty ok for the roads also. But when it comes to slush, they have a big handicap. They dont have the self cleaning thread and make the thread go glaze with mud.

If you can be lil careful with sidewall on rocks, Yoko's are a good bet.
+1 to that. I would say Yoko is best for a light weight off-roader. The rubber compound is different compared to BFG and best performer in slush compared to BFG. though BFGs look better than yoko, i would still prefer yoko for a light vehicle. A soft rubber compound will offer more friction on any terrain then a hard compound. If my vehicle is light, then i would always prefer a soft compound.
Old 8th April 2010, 02:26   #66
BHPian

I'm not a huge fan of the alloy (aluminim) wheels. They simply don't go with the looks of any old car, especially not a CJ3B. Also, I don't like the idea of using Gypsy rims on a CJ3B.

When I'll do the transmission conversion and when the tires should be changed (they have plenty of thread now) I'd be definetly looking into BF Goodrich. I'll go with the tightest possible option - 185, 205 or 225(max). If I can't find any suitable replacement I'll use the same I use now 175/80-R16. I'm looking into BFG All Terrains or BFG Long Trail. I will check tomorrow for dimensions that wouldn't hurt the steering performance of the Jeep.

A more cheap and most likely option is to use Tigar Cargo Speed. My father and I have sold hundreds of these tires and people are very confident and happy with them, always returnig to buy again. They have great quality (Tigar has been bought by Michelin for more than 3 years now) for the half or the third of the price of the BFG.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Please drive Arka's jeep before deciding to go Arka way. His jeep is great offroad, but that is because of its underbody mechanicals rather than the body on it or who is driving it .

Arka's Jeep with AC, PS, Honda Accord Seats, Disc Brakes would be a great machine..
Headers,
Thanks.
Swapping the front and rear diffs of MM550 with the present on the 3B, this is his suggestion, hence the Arka way.
Would a Scorpio PS unit suit,as this engine is factory fitted with the necessary PS vacuum unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
I will check tomorrow for dimensions that wouldn't hurt the steering performance of the Jeep.
JeepMkd,
Please update me on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
A soft rubber compound will offer more friction on any terrain then a hard compound. If my vehicle is light, then i would always prefer a soft compound.
Star-aqua,
The soft rubber tyre makes sense and also I am sure translates into a softer ride. Keeping my options open.
Regards,
Old 8th April 2010, 10:05   #68
Team-BHP Support

Fazal bhai, i think you can go with Gypsy rims and tires and compensate the GC by doing some suspension tweaks? Personally i love the look of gypsy rims on a CJ with a 215 tyre. I think thats the perfect size, anything more is an overkill.

Second option i would prefer would be mudzilla's on alloys, but then the budget and classic looks go for a toss.

Love the LYNX!
Old 8th April 2010, 10:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Axles & Gearbox

Hi Fazal,

Front Axle - 51" Closed Knuckle with Disc Brake (4.88:1) (pre 2004 MM550XD).

Rear Axle - 51" SFRA 30 spline Track Lock LSD (4.88:1) (pre 2004 MM550XD)

Gear Box & T-Case- Pickup one from an Ex-Army MM550XD, they have a much better(heavier) Housing.

Steering System - You can upgrade to the Armada Steering Box with universal Joint, will fit exactly where the CJ3B steering box sits.

MRCBT/RCBT is too much for a CJ3B.

Tyres is would suggest you go in for the Radial Mud-Terrains, its always better to have aggressive tyres, imagine LYNX without claws .

Use the 15" FC Van Rim, will be more with the Character of the CJ3B.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th April 2010, 12:35   #70
BHPian

attaching a picture of my cj3b
its a hotrod
petrol engine, automatic gearbox,
shall shot it more appropriately once i meet gogi v16, with his cj3b

posting a picture so that you can also take these wheels as an option

regards
allan
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-cj.jpg  

Old 8th April 2010, 13:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
its a hotrod
shall shot it more appropriately once i meet gogi v16, with his cj3b

posting a picture so that you can also take these wheels as an option

regards
allan
Allan,
Thanks for your response.
The wheels are good but retro looking which will not go with the rest of the build I have in mind. Though I am not planning anything too radical, just that I want BF's like many suggested but 16". Need a proper non-alloy wheel for the 16" BF's.
Regards,
Old 8th April 2010, 13:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal bhai, i think you can go with Gypsy rims and tires and compensate the GC by doing some suspension tweaks?
OT: @Jaggu: You are 16 LOL:

BTW, How to compensate for GC with suspension tweaks? Please explain, I have a gypsy with gypsy rims and tyres and I need 6" lift now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
its a hotrod
Allan, what engine and GB are you running?
Old 8th April 2010, 13:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal bhai, i think you can go with Gypsy rims and tires and compensate the GC by doing some suspension tweaks?
Jaggu,
There was a thread which discussed this topic at large and was concluded that there can be no increase in GC by suspension tweaks, but can only be achieved by adding bigger wheels and tyres. Suspension mods can only help in articulation.
Regards,
Old 8th April 2010, 14:01   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
MRCBT/RCBT is too much for a CJ3B.
Arka
Arka,
Sorry, I do not understand this or can decipher it.
Thanks,
Old 8th April 2010, 14:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Arka,
Sorry, I do not understand this or can decipher it.
Thanks,
MRCBT - Manual Recirculating Ball type?

Basically you dont need that steering on a CJ3B as it is a small vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks