Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 15:32   #106

Willys Dog with a heart of 640

Hi, after a long time got a chance to upload the pics of my beast . Thought of starting the same thread on the ICON DOG , but since the same exists here in a small preview of the beast

Teaser Pic , will upload more, feel free to give in your comments
and hi since this is my first post
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Debarshi/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-dog.jpg  

Old 9th April 2010, 15:53   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on this point.

We can mod and mess around with a lot of things, but tinkering, widening the Wheel Disc is a strict no-no.

Its better to leave the Rotating assemblies alone.

Imagine what will happen if the Rim Breaks a weld on the Highway or while making a steep climb...ABSOLUTE DISASTER.

However one can try putting on an External Bead Lock on any Existing Wheel Disc.

beadlocked

MRT Beadlocks - - Jeep at Off-Road.com

ROCKCRAWLER.com - D-I-Y Beadlocks

[U]This method can safely add 0.5 to 1.00 inch to the wheel Section Width, and effectively increase the Contact Width.[/u]

Regards,

Arka

Hi guys, i too have used widen steel gypsy rims(widened to 9.5j) on my 540 never faced a problem, i have banged hell of it to test it on rocks and stuff while offroading.

Arka sir i did not know that beadlocks can add 0.5" to 1.00" to the wheel section width i thought it was to hold the tire bead from coming off the wheel when the tire is defated to a very low pressure when offroading and rock crawling. I really dont think it widen's the wheel section width. Sorry my mistake did not see the 2nd D-I-Y link but that too is welded so how strong would that be.

Last edited by whicked wheels : 9th April 2010 at 16:02. Reason: needed to add a line
Old 10th April 2010, 09:55   #108
Senior - BHPian

Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Hi guys, i too have used widen steel gypsy rims(widened to 9.5j) on my 540 never faced a problem, i have banged hell of it to test it on rocks and stuff while offroading.

Arka sir i did not know that beadlocks can add 0.5" to 1.00" to the wheel section width i thought it was to hold the tire bead from coming off the wheel when the tire is defated to a very low pressure when offroading and rock crawling. I really dont think it widen's the wheel section width. Sorry my mistake did not see the 2nd D-I-Y link but that too is welded so how strong would that be.
Wicked Sir,

The Bead Locks increase the Section Width of the Tyre, because the Tyre comes over the Inner Ring and is Held in Place by the Lock Ring with 18-36 Bolts.

Regarding the Bead Lock Weld, it is expected to be TIG/MIG welded and since it is a concentric ring it actually strengthens the Rim, without interfering with critical structural dimensions of the Wheel Disc.

While a Bead Lock can strengthen the Wheel Disc, it also makes the Wheel Disc unbalanced, as the additional weight (Inner/Outer Rings) are added to one side i.e outer face of the wheel disc.

In Short DB Sir and Team Designed the Thar, but do you think they designed the wheels (cutting/broadening/welding) for that they prefer WHEELS INDIA, Chennai to do it.

Don't you think you are lucky, because once you start using bigger engines with more torque, and higher road speeds all the minor glitches will get aggravated.

Regards,

Arka
Old 10th April 2010, 10:20   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Diesel_maniac which 16" wheels from Bolero and Maxx are you talking about?

Spike
Hi Spike !!

I have seen a couple of Mahindra Pick-up supply vans on my way to work running radial tyres on 16 Inch wheels, was not able to find any info on the net. I will try and get some info from a local Mahindra spare vendor in Delhi and post the details and some pictures if possible.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:38   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Hi Spike !!

I have seen a couple of Mahindra Pick-up supply vans on my way to work running radial tyres on 16 Inch wheels, was not able to find any info on the net. I will try and get some info from a local Mahindra spare vendor in Delhi and post the details and some pictures if possible.
Hi Spike !!

I have checked with the vendor and also on the net that the Maxx range comes with 15 Inch Wheels only. I might have mixed it up with Tata 207 Pick-ups as they run on 16 Inch wheels. Sorry for the wrong information provided.
Old 17th April 2010, 21:22   #111
BHPian

I need an advice from you guys this time.
Will the shift handle for the transmission from the T-90 fit the KMT-90?
Please give some insights because it's really important

Last edited by JeepMkd : 17th April 2010 at 21:25.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:08   #112
BHPian

Sir Fazal Ali Adil, work has begun on my Mahindra. Check here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1887658
Old 15th May 2010, 23:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Hi Spike !!

I have checked with the vendor and also on the net that the Maxx range comes with 15 Inch Wheels only. I might have mixed it up with Tata 207 Pick-ups as they run on 16 Inch wheels. Sorry for the wrong information provided.
Hi Diesel Maniac,

I knew it would be 15" only, wanted to be sure, hence asked you if there was any 16" wheel currently being supplied. Anyways thanks for the info.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th May 2010 at 23:46.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:41   #114
Senior - BHPian

JeepMkd,

Thanks for your inputs re. the mating of XD2 and KMT-90, there will be so many who will gain from your experience but none as much as me, for I have this exact configuration in mind in the very near future.

I am hooked to this thread as you plan to keep us updated on your progress here.

Regards,
Old 24th July 2010, 18:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

Now the refurbished XD2 is aligned to the gearbox, awaiting foundation beds to be placed before the welds.
Arka
has been the sole guide every step, immensely helpful ...as per his advice the front and rear differentials already installed are 51" army MM550, front disc brakes and rear LSD. Changed my old KMT-90 with an army MM550 KMT-90 (also advised by Arka). The KMT-90 was a straight fit except the holes where the pressure plate fits the fly wheel, here got new drilled and threaded to align the pressure plate's. Put in a new water pump etc.
The gearbox and diffs did not need any thing to be touhed except the essential wear parts like bearings, seals, brake pads, front and rear wheel bearings.

The wheels are 15" which will be replaced by BF 235/70/R16's

Will upgrade you all as I progress, after completing the mechanical's, I plan to move on to the cosmetics but that's much later, after the trial runs.

Regards,
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7288.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7287.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7282.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7275.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7278.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7283.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-img_7285.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 24th July 2010 at 18:54.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:12   #116
Senior - BHPian

great work

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Changed my old KMT-90 with an army MM550 KMT-90 (also advised by Arka).

why the swap ?
is army KMT-90 different than regular KMT-90 ?

the build-off is excellent fazal sahab. (as expected )

keep crawling!!
nikhil

-O||||||O-

Last edited by jeepster : 24th July 2010 at 23:26.
Old 25th July 2010, 08:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
why the swap ?
is army KMT-90 different than regular KMT-90 ?
Nikhil,
Yes, the one supplied to the army has better build quality and is more rugged.
Thanks for your appreciation.
Regards,
Old 26th July 2010, 10:53   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Nikhil,
Yes, the one supplied to the army has better build quality and is more rugged.
Fazal Sir, AFAIK the Transmission case for regular and Army 4wd are the same the only difference being in the gear shifting lever and its sub assemblies. That does not mean Army t/m are more rugged.

Army KMT has better build quality than regular KMT is a phantasm.

Spike
Old 26th July 2010, 11:21   #119
Senior - BHPian

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Fazal Sir, AFAIK the Transmission case for regular and Army 4wd are the same the only difference being in the gear shifting lever and its sub assemblies. That does not mean Army t/m are more rugged.

Army KMT has better build quality than regular KMT is a phantasm.

Spike
Hi Spike,

The Differences are :-
1) Heavier Casting for Gear Box & T-Case.
2) Breathers Vents with Air-Hose. Not the Breather Plugs with a Plastic cap which is used in Later Civilian KMT-90s.
3) Flushed Magnetic Drain Plugs.
4) T-Case Bottom Cover is Heavier
5) T-Case PTO Cover is Heavier.

Even the Shifting Lever for the T-Case is better constructed than the Single Lever Type which were introduced in 1995-96(c)

There is a marked qualitative difference in the 1983KMT90 and the Army KMT90.

We are all aware that the quality of products going to the Army.
Regards,

Arka
Old 26th July 2010, 11:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

The Differences are :-
1) Heavier Casting for Gear Box & T-Case.
2) Breathers Vents with Air-Hose. Not the Breather Plugs with a Plastic cap which is used in Later Civilian KMT-90s.
3) Flushed Magnetic Drain Plugs.
4) T-Case Bottom Cover is Heavier
5) T-Case PTO Cover is Heavier.

Even the Shifting Lever for the T-Case is better constructed than the Single Lever Type which were introduced in 1995-96(c)

There is a marked qualitative difference in the 1983KMT90 and the Army KMT90.

We are all aware that the quality of products going to the Army.
Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,

The points you have highlighted regarding the shifting lever, breather vents and magnetic drain plugs can be agreed upon. I fail to understand how two parts obtained from the same moulds have different thickness and mechanical properties (provided the same materials are used). The reason being if you have to add material in a part you will have to remove material from its mould, this process is usually irreversible and any manufacturer will never resort to such practices.

Also what advantage do you gain by making the T/C PTO cover heavier?

Spike

PS- Can you tell me the differences between 4 speed KMT Transmissions used in NGCS and pre NGCS versions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks