Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 20:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??

A CJ3B which is not original as DKG's or the one Jaggu is building, is with me.
To make it an original like the above I will need to spend a lot lot.
I have this super smooth Peugeot 2300cc diesel which came off a Ford Sierra from the factory.
Should I shouldn't I fit this into the CJ3B and build this jeep as a hybrid, a la "The Dog"?
Will the gearbox of a MM540 mate directly without an adapter?
The RC has a diesel entry on it.
Experts please advice.
Regards,

The power plant.
CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-mm-engine-1.jpg

CJ3B, 'The Dog 2' or 'The Pup': Should I ??-mm-engine-2.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 21:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Niceeee i will let the tech replies to the guru's BUT my jeep is not even close to what DKG has!! But thank you!
Old 30th March 2010, 00:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
A CJ3B which is not original as DKG's or the one Jaggu is building, is with me.
To make it an original like the above I will need to spend a lot lot.
I have this super smooth Peugeot 2300cc diesel which came off a Ford Sierra from the factory.
Should I shouldn't I fit this into the CJ3B and build this jeep as a hybrid, a la "The Dog"?
Will the gearbox of a MM540 mate directly without an adapter?
The RC has a diesel entry on it.
Experts please advice.
Regards,
Fazal sir,
I would say, Go for it. Its good to see restorations to original specs. But at the same time its also interesting to see some capable hybrids and you have already demonstrated some really interesting hybrid projects in the past.

Is that a Peugeot XD2 2.3L Engine?? From where are you finding these interesting piece of machinery's Sir? Is that from a scrapped Ford Sierra which was used in India or just another imported engine??

I am not sure about mating it with KMT-90 gearbox. Even if its not a direct fit.. why dont you try it with adapter plates?

All the Best for you.
Can we consider this an Indian version of the "The Dog"
Shibu
Old 30th March 2010, 08:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Fazal sir,
I would say, Go for it. Its good to see restorations to original specs. But at the same time its also interesting to see some capable hybrids and you have already demonstrated some really interesting hybrid projects in the past.

Is that a Peugeot XD2 2.3L Engine?? From where are you finding these interesting piece of machinery's Sir? Is that from a scrapped Ford Sierra which was used in India or just another imported engine??
Can we consider this an Indian version of the "The Dog"
Shibu
JeepCaptian,
Thanks!
Yes it is a Peugeot XD2 2.3L. It is an imported engine which came to India, fitted in an Ford Sierra, which got scrapped and I picked up this engine about 2 years back.
I don't know if I can turn this Jeep into a Dog or Bitch (Mods: Before pulling the trigger please remember, technically the word bitch refers to a female dog in English language or any dictionary).
But I can definitely try, I am not very keen on changing the front grille like the DOG. Maintaining the original character of the CJ3B there may be certain mods I may try out.
Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 08:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fazal - I got your PM. First, please convert the dress level of this engine to suit your vehicle (sump, water pump, temperature sensitive throttle control etc). At the same time check for boundary dimensions / mounting dimensions. As the family is same, these are expected to be identical. This is the correct way to go ahead as this is very similar to what we do when we build the first CP (Climate Prototype).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th March 2010, 09:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fazal - This is the correct way to go ahead as this is very similar to what we do when we build the first CP (Climate Prototype).
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
Help required desperately... to get it to your standards.
Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 09:55   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If the body line is clean do please consider retaining it as petrol. The CJ3B in petrol is just too much fun !! Its the soul of the car and unmatched in driving pleasure by any diesel Jeep I've driven.

The SWB Jeeps are becoming rare and I feel they should all revert to petrol as there's so much more character to them
Old 30th March 2010, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Xd2s

Hi Fazal,

Change the "Dress Level" as DB Sir puts it.

Beboy fitted a XD2S to a BA-10, so I guess the XD2S will fit a standard Peugeot XDP4.9 Bell-Housing and KMT-90 Gearbox.

Regards,

Arka
Old 30th March 2010, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If the body line is clean do please consider retaining it as petrol. The CJ3B in petrol is just too much fun !! Its the soul of the car and unmatched in driving pleasure by any diesel Jeep I've driven.

The SWB Jeeps are becoming rare and I feel they should all revert to petrol as there's so much more character to them
Deepak,
I will save the fitted Hurricane for a better and more original CJ3B, as I am aware and an ardent lover of a petrol CJ3B and its feel. This one has a diesel entry on the book and I have a very silent, smooth, sealed engine which has done only 60,000kms (the odometer reading on the Ford Sierra).
It will be a very expensive affair bringing this jeep to its glory like yours.
Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Sir,
the engine shall fit the intented gearbox directly,
shall find and pm you a few picture.

regards,
Allan
Old 30th March 2010, 14:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
Sir,
the engine shall fit the intented gearbox directly,
shall find and pm you a few picture.

regards,
Allan
Thanks Allan, Will further bother you when it comes to cosmetics.
Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 18:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Fazal sir,

Just read your PM. Why don't you save this engine for another MM540 project?

Why do you say a hurricane petrol will be costlier to build? I agree this vehicle has diesel endorsement, does that mean it should necessarily have a diesel engine?
Old 30th March 2010, 19:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Fazal sir,

Just read your PM. Why don't you save this engine for another MM540 project?

Why do you say a hurricane petrol will be costlier to build? I agree this vehicle has diesel endorsement, does that mean it should necessarily have a diesel engine?
Vinod,
Thanks. The present Hurricane is in good condition. I am seeking options from you all, undecided on the petrol or diesel though. The gearbox is a 5 speed too. RC endorsement is another unbalancing factor.
Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 21:45   #14
BHPian

Sentiment vs practicality

Fazal bhai, if i have a choice i would like to build a capable off-roader, rather than restoring it to the original and maintaining it as a collector item. Since it is not in original condition now and you are making a capable off-roader out of it and not that you are spoiling it.
if you already have a most suitable power train for building an off-roader, which base vehicle do you prefer? it has to be a SWB.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:57   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Fazal bhai, if i have a choice i would like to build a capable off-roader, rather than restoring it to the original and maintaining it as a collector item.
While I would agree with you that many people restore these Jeeps and retain them as a collectors' item the truth really is that in its original form its an extremely capable offroader. There's not much more you can desire beyond the original config. I am yet to feel the need for lockers. Its articulation is amazing and in most situations its keeping its feet planted. Its simply brilliant offroad

My Jeep is now as stock as it ever was when it left the factory but you have to see where all it goes to realise these Jeeps in stock form are the ultimate offroad go carts - and at what price? My mind boggles that at the price I paid and even when I factor in what I spent on the car changing the mechanicals its unbelievable the amount of fun I'm having with this car.

Except for the fuel cost factor its the petrol engine that really suits these Jeeps. Mind you I do long distance driving in it too and I am pretty convinced petrol is the way to go for the CJ3B's. It rocks in that guise !! The Hurricane deserves a prime slot in the engine hall of fame. Its a masterpiece for the application it was intended.

Last edited by DKG : 30th March 2010 at 22:06.

Most Viewed