Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 15:24   #31
BHPian

Thanks, GB. I will call and get an appointment.

I already have a soft top that I think fits and looks perfect. But the thing is old and threadbare. So, now hopefully Mr.Anthony will be of assistance.
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Antony's number is 9880075578
Do call and take an appointment.

Cheers
GB
Thanks a lot GB - This has reduced a lot of time for me in hunting for the canvas.
Meanwhile somebody has offered to check with a Jeeper if he can give his scissor canvas soft top since is getting a Black Regine top , hope to get lucky.
Apologies for the delay in responding as i hadn't noticed my post & was busy going through all the threads by Samurai & Jaggu
It was like learning things in a classroom on the How to Live with a CJ340 thread.
All the other threads of Samurai of his escapades were so addictive that i lost count of how many hours i have spent reading them & the wealth of information i have gained.
Thanks to all on the forum & Team BHP again for giving all of us such a wonderful auto-home.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 25th May 2010, 09:31   #33
BHPian

Got a leaking silencer fixed - Gas welding Job - Cost Rs. 120 & the jeep sounds much better now :-)
Old 25th May 2010, 12:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Great to see this vehicle. I found that the meter console shown in your jeep is of Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 type. Check my FJ40 thread
Old 25th May 2010, 14:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi, Great to see this vehicle. I found that the meter console shown in your jeep is of Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 type. Check my FJ40 thread
HI Tramway,
I just noticed that, not sure if its a replica but it sure looks exactly like the LC's.
I wouldn't mind parting with it if somebody is in need of it. Am looking for original meters for my Jeep.
Will surely keep it aside in case... if anybody is interested - No Charges.
Thanks for informing me Trammway.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 25th May 2010, 15:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
HI Tramway,
I just noticed that, not sure if its a replica but it sure looks exactly like the LC's.
I wouldn't mind parting with it if somebody is in need of it. Am looking for original meters for my Jeep.
Will surely keep it aside in case... if anybody is interested - No Charges.
Thanks for informing me Trammway.

Regards,
Kumar

Kumar,

I guess this Jeep got many parts derived from LC FJ40, such as meter console, front bumper tow hooks and rear Bumperette

The windshield is seems to be hand made as there is not pushout glass frame on it.

I'm sure this vehicle is converted low bonnet, but why care as it looks good. Just keep it as is where and enjoy riding her. My sincere advice not to touch any of the part just thinking to restore her to original state (as you can see this is not original), if the 4x4 working condition use it for offroads and enjoy the 4x4 world.

If in case I can get you the original Jeep CJ (CJ3B is easily available) meter and other stuffs, I will happily exchange it with you for the LC FJ40 parts particularly the tow hooks and meter console, I will let you know if I get them in the future.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:44   #37
BHPian

The most interesting part in your Jeep is Wiper. Though its not original spec, don't change it. I never saw a wiper which works from vacuum of alternator. One more interesting thing is, your Brake Booster. Try to find out from which vehicle it is. Please post the pictures of wiper assembly and Booster.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 26th May 2010, 10:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Dear Catchkumar,

Congratulations! This jeep seems to have a neat body.Now that this jeep is a low bonnet model, i request you to remove the radiator jaali which goes well with high bonnet Jeeps. Go for a winch if you have a secured parking.Let me know if i can be of any help to you.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Can you also post few pics of the steering wheel, you seem to have a nice one.
Is the deisel engine conversion endorsed on the rc.?
Old 26th May 2010, 13:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Kumar,

If in case I can get you the original Jeep CJ (CJ3B is easily available) meter and other stuffs, I will happily exchange it with you for the LC FJ40 parts particularly the tow hooks and meter console, I will let you know if I get them in the future.
You are always welcome as long as it goes on the right vehicle & into right hands which i don't have to worry in your case Trammy :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
The most interesting part in your Jeep is Wiper. Though its not original spec, don't change it. I never saw a wiper which works from vacuum of alternator. One more interesting thing is, your Brake Booster. Try to find out from which vehicle it is. Please post the pictures of wiper assembly and Booster.

Thanks
--Sree--
You have an eye for detail sree :-)
True the wiper is unique & works on vacuum - You pull the lever & the wiper goes to one side, you have to push the lever again for the wiper to come back to its original position. (Depends where you start) LOL

Will find more details of the brake booster & also upload a video of the wiper assembly in a day :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear Catchkumar,

Congratulations! This jeep seems to have a neat body.Now that this jeep is a low bonnet model, i request you to remove the radiator jaali which goes well with high bonnet Jeeps. Go for a winch if you have a secured parking.Let me know if i can be of any help to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Can you also post few pics of the steering wheel, you seem to have a nice one.
Is the deisel engine conversion endorsed on the rc.?
Will surely try removing the grill cover - Thanks for your inputs :-)
The steering wheel is original but the horn button is missing - will upload the pics tomorrow.
Yes the Diesel Engine is endorsed in the RC Book.
Am afraid i don't have a protected garage parking now & there are still a few things which i need to work on before getting a winch on it, however the plan is on & would love to have a PTO setup - Thanks a lot for offering to help my friend.
Its people like you which makes this forum a wonderful place :-)

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2010 at 15:27. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:15   #41
BHPian

Am stranded
A new problem & as usual am clueless
The battery drains out every second day & all these days i could push start it but that too is not working now not sure why.
I had got the battery charged & the neighborhood auto electrician changed the cut out which was not required as the old one was good enough :-( had to shell out Rs. 400 for no reason while the problem continues now.

The battery when fully charged shows 12V & while the engine is running moves upto 12.5 & i have heard that it should move to 14+ while the engine is running is this right ?

What are things that i need to check to fix this problem ?
Dynamo ?
Cutout switch ? (I always thought this was the alternator LOL thanks to Santosh for educating me.)
Wiring for any power leakages ?

Hope to get this issue fixed before i touch anything else on the Jeep.
Eagerly waiting for sore directions from all the Jeep Gurus - F1

Regards,
Kumar
Old 5th June 2010, 21:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kumar, back from my sisters' wedding. I may have eaten at least 5000 Calories per day, last 3 days... Lets catch up and sweat it out. NO - not the type we did last week, both our bodies cant push a SWB around jayanagar Lets get the niggles fixed ASAP.
Old 5th June 2010, 23:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Am stranded
A new problem & as usual am clueless
The battery drains out every second day & all these days i could push start it but that too is not working now not sure why.
I had got the battery charged & the neighborhood auto electrician changed the cut out which was not required as the old one was good enough :-( had to shell out Rs. 400 for no reason while the problem continues now.

The battery when fully charged shows 12V & while the engine is running moves upto 12.5 & i have heard that it should move to 14+ while the engine is running is this right ?

What are things that i need to check to fix this problem ?
Dynamo ?
Cutout switch ? (I always thought this was the alternator LOL thanks to Santosh for educating me.)
Wiring for any power leakages ?

Hope to get this issue fixed before i touch anything else on the Jeep.
Eagerly waiting for sore directions from all the Jeep Gurus - F1

Regards,
Kumar
Yourself:
Check if the bulb which displays if your battery is not being charged is glowing or not.
Check if your voltmeter goes positive on running the jeep.

Mechanic:
1. Check Alternator. Is it charging the battery?
2. Check for loose fan belt. Check for play. A loose fan belt will not run the alternator properly.
3. Check battery plates (how old is this battery) If its old, throw it away and get a new Amaron tractor battery.

Dude Santosh, you take someone under your tutelage help them fully man...what is this leaving them stranded and running away for some wedding ...be a true jeeper
Old 6th June 2010, 00:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post

Thanks
--Sree--
Sreeraj,

What do you mean by saying that "its not original spec" . Did you mean that it was not original spec for the Willys CJ low bonnet ones.

I have seen this as original equipment on CJ3B LHD ones made by M&M. My dad's "departmental jeep" had this. That I think was a Willys 1960 Model. But with the Jeep RHD Models in 1967 this was no longer there.

The 'air unit' as it was called was mounted on the Top of the glass over the LHD sttering. The Air Pipe used to come out through a hole neal the mounting point of the "wind screen hinge" and was cliped along the W/S frame and came in to the cabin. The passenger side one was mannual as it had to be operated by hand using the lever above the passengers side of the W/s. On the air unit there was a cute knob with a Steel Ball as the pull lever to operate it. There was always a 'hiss' of air when the valves opertae it on the to and fro strokes.

@Ctachkumar - The jeep looks really great.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 10th June 2010, 03:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sreeraj,

What do you mean by saying that "its not original spec" . Did you mean that it was not original spec for the Willys CJ low bonnet ones.

I have seen this as original equipment on CJ3B LHD ones made by M&M. My dad's "departmental jeep" had this. That I think was a Willys 1960 Model. But with the Jeep RHD Models in 1967 this was no longer there.
I think Sreeraj meant that he had never seen wipers operating off the alternator vacuum pump. The Jeep vacuum wipers worked on vacuum created by the fuel pump. Since Jeeps did not have alternators in the early days this arrangement cannot be totally original per se.
Nonetheless its a neat idea!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks