Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 09:30   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sreeraj,

What do you mean by saying that "its not original spec" . Did you mean that it was not original spec for the Willys CJ low bonnet ones.

I have seen this as original equipment on CJ3B LHD ones made by M&M. My dad's "departmental jeep" had this. That I think was a Willys 1960 Model. But with the Jeep RHD Models in 1967 this was no longer there.

The 'air unit' as it was called was mounted on the Top of the glass over the LHD sttering. The Air Pipe used to come out through a hole neal the mounting point of the "wind screen hinge" and was cliped along the W/S frame and came in to the cabin. The passenger side one was mannual as it had to be operated by hand using the lever above the passengers side of the W/s. On the air unit there was a cute knob with a Steel Ball as the pull lever to operate it. There was always a 'hiss' of air when the valves opertae it on the to and fro strokes.

@Ctachkumar - The jeep looks really great.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Hi Ram, only one difference, you are talking about Air and I am talking about Vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I think Sreeraj meant that he had never seen wipers operating off the alternator vacuum pump. The Jeep vacuum wipers worked on vacuum created by the fuel pump. Since Jeeps did not have alternators in the early days this arrangement cannot be totally original per se.
Nonetheless its a neat idea!
Spot On!!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 10th June 2010, 11:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I think Sreeraj meant that he had never seen wipers operating off the alternator vacuum pump. The Jeep vacuum wipers worked on vacuum created by the fuel pump. Since Jeeps did not have alternators in the early days this arrangement cannot be totally original per se.
Nonetheless its a neat idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hi Ram, only one difference, you are talking about Air and I am talking about Vacuum

Spot On!!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
Sree & Gotzuk,

We are talking about the samething. Look at my post you can see I had put air unit in inverted commas. To the common mechs and kids - the sound of the air hiss on vacuuam - prompted them to call it as the air unit that is all.

I had not referred to the fuel pump vacuum - I should have.

If in the Jeep we are talking about, this is working off a alternator vacuum then its a present day adaptation for the old unit.

Cheers & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 10th June 2010, 15:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

I second redliner comments and i am sure there is a problem with the alternator.The best way to check whether the alternator/dynamo is charging the battery is to see the red light glowing( near the ignition switch) after you start the jeep, if the light gets switched off when you accelerate, its good, otherwise you need to get the dynamo checked.The best alternator/dynamo available in the market is from TVS-LUCAS.Approximate cost is 3000k.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 10th June 2010 at 15:11. Reason: COMMENTS
Old 10th June 2010, 15:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

If its a dynamo, chuck it out and store it well. Buy a new alternator and plonk it in instead.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yourself:
Dude Santosh, you take someone under your tutelage help them fully man...what is this leaving them stranded and running away for some wedding ...be a true jeeper
Trust me redliner - If not for santosh i would'nt have reached home the other day with my jeep he put in all the muscle power required for the mistake of driving it for less than 5 minutes.
Have to tell you he is a wonderful human being like all the Jeepers here & i vouch for it anyday anytime anywhere :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sreeraj,
@Ctachkumar - The jeep looks really great.
Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe
Ram
Thanks a lot for your comments & advice Sreeraj. Will surely keep the safety issue in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I second redliner comments and i am sure there is a problem with the alternator.The best way to check whether the alternator/dynamo is charging the battery is to see the red light glowing( near the ignition switch) after you start the jeep, if the light gets switched off when you accelerate, its good, otherwise you need to get the dynamo checked.The best alternator/dynamo available in the market is from TVS-LUCAS.Approximate cost is 3000k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If its a dynamo, chuck it out and store it well. Buy a new alternator and plonk it in instead.
Got the cutout changed & its kind of working now, however haven't tried in the night with headlights on. Will update the thread & seek adv. in case it starts giving trouble again.

Thank you all once again for helping me keep my spirit up. Looking forward for some OTR's now & to begin with Santosh has offered me to take the passenger seat for the Kanakapura Trip - Thanks a lot Santosh.

Hope to learn some basics before i get my jeep off road.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 6th August 2010, 11:56   #51
BHPian

Hi All, I have been the proud owner of my Willys 1955 Jeep but...
Am contemplating to Keep it or sell it now, reason my house owner is back from US & furious that my Jeep has left marks everywhere.
We stay on the 1st floor & the owner on ground floor though i can understand his concern what about mine ?????
We are also looking @ moving from the present house but parking has always been a problem with 2 cars and a Jeep.
As usual parents were & are not happy with me coz of my Jeep.

Request people on this forum to suggest if i should keep the jeep rent a shed in the same area for parking or sell it & move on.

By the way since we used to stay in a main road earlier with lot of traffic i used to get a lot of enquirers if its for sale with offers ranging from 50,000 to 5,00,000 the best offer from a lady who wanted to gift it to her husband.

Not sure if the Jeep is all that worth though.

Its a 1955 CJ3B
Low Bonnet - Converted much to my hearts non agreement on that.
Has all accessories - Axe, Shovel, Jerry Can & Gun Rack which i recently got but not fitted on Jeep.
The Jeep when i bought was converted to diesel with a Peuego engine endorsed in the RC Book.

Req. all Jeepers to kindly advice--
1 Regret that i have never been on any Off Road using my Jeep :-(
Regards,
Kumar
capturekumar@yahoo.com
Old 6th August 2010, 12:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Dear Kumar,

Please do not sell this beauty.The oil leaks can be rectified by fixing oil seals.
Let us know if the leakage is from the engine or differentials.

I can give you a space to keep this jeep till the time you want and will make sure that the jeep is driven few kms every week I have faced the same problem from my house owner who refused to allow my Jeep to be parked inside the compound because of the same problem.

Betw:My GPW is my vehicle for everyday commute and is adored by everyone in my office.

Regards,

Waseem (SILVERWOOD)

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 6th August 2010 at 12:58. Reason: Edit
Old 6th August 2010, 15:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
....if i should keep the jeep rent a shed in the same area for parking or sell it & move on.
Dont sell, As spoken on phone use my place for a few weeks, I have nearly arranged a apt parking for 500Rs a month... Parents will be parents you will be you...!!

Quote:
1 Regret that i have never been on any Off Road using my Jeep :-(
Fingers crossed...
Old 6th August 2010, 16:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Keep it. There are alternatives that an be worked upon, Waseem has an offer for you and surely other T-BHPians will also support you endlessly.
Now if that lady still wants to gift your Jeep to her husband and is willing to pay you 5L...grab the offer. You can get another one better and still have 2L in your pocket.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Send it to me!!! I will not even charge 500 bucks!!! Rather I'd pay 500 bucks just to drive it!!
hehehe

On a serious note, I've come to the conclusion that the hardwork and the patience we guys put in our 1st off-roader we will never put the same in the 2nd or 3rd machine. I am telling you this out of experience. for proof just look at the regularity with which I used to update my MM550 thread, then I started restoring the CJ3B RHD and the thread has not been updated in over 6 month. And now comes the LHD CJ3B which I've not even bothered to openup a thread.
And same goes for actual energy and time spent on the vehicles. So in a couple of words
If money is not an issue, Keep the vehicle!!! PERIOD
You won't be able to build a similar one again!!!

just my 2 cents
Old 16th August 2010, 11:13   #56
BHPian

Thank you all for your advice & suggestions. (Fazal sir, Waseem. Santosh, Harjeev)
The Jeep has found a parking space for now with cardboard boxes under its belly to avoid oil stains on the floor.
For now i have convinced my parents & they are fine i keep it except that it needs to be used. So thank you all once again for all the help & moral support without which the jeep would have been found on the Classified section.
On the other hand i wish i could find that lady Fazal Sir ;-)
Harjeev i checked your new possession i should say its a gem please do start a thread so that we cloud get more of it.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 16th August 2010, 13:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Thank you all for your advice & suggestions. (Fazal sir, Waseem. Santosh, Harjeev)
The Jeep has found a parking space for now with cardboard boxes under its belly to avoid oil stains on the floor.
For now i have convinced my parents & they are fine i keep it except that it needs to be used. So thank you all once again for all the help & moral support without which the jeep would have been found on the Classified section.
On the other hand i wish i could find that lady Fazal Sir ;-)
Harjeev i checked your new possession i should say its a gem please do start a thread so that we cloud get more of it.

Regards,
Kumar
Hmmm Kumar if only your problem is that of not using the jeep, join me to salem this week for RECCE. Lets do the trick.

PM me to know my number or find it in another post where I have left my contact.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hmmm Kumar if only your problem is that of not using the jeep, join me to salem this week for RECCE. Lets do the trick.

PM me to know my number or find it in another post where I have left my contact.
Hi Shiva,

Thanks a lot for the Invite, i already joined the band kadamuda kadamuda :-), am the 13th person on your list.
So happy to see your post in my thread here with an invite
I will send you a PM with my contact details & i love your FJ LC & i constantly keep in touch with Santosh who gives me updates of your beauties & your restoration threads are something we await for even with a small update be it your Classic, your FJ or your latest FJ62.
I saw your last post that UBS sir is joining us WOW that's icing on the cake.
Eager to meet you @ the Kadamude event.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 19th August 2010, 14:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Looking forward to meet you Kumar. I'm sure the fun-filled event will make your Jeep story justified and I'm sure you will keep the beauty with you.
Old 10th September 2010, 23:53   #60
BHPian

My Jeep Gone Topless

I realized that my jeep is no different when it has the soft top or not in terms of functionality of course its completely different when it comes to looks & yes it Looks great.

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-p6050083.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-p6050089.jpg

Since the Jeep is now staying back @ home its time to get to know more & start the restoration slowly & steadily hence the post.
Req. all team members to help me in the process.

To begin with i will try to follow the tracks of our esteemed member Samurai which i guess will give me a better understanding of my jeep & nitty gritties.

Here's the first picture of the engine bay & i identify most of the parts, thanks to Samurai again.

Here are a few Questions for which am trying to get clarifications -

1 - Is the Brake booster but people who have driven the jeep find it surprisingly hard (It has a pneumatic air pressure going into it, its similar to the one which powers the wipers)
2 - Fuse Box i guess (But check the Zoom in Pics - No Fuses what has gone wrong here?)
3,4,5 - No idea what these are - Can somebody help me please (Zoom in pics of 5 also attached)

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-p6050073.jpg

The so called Fuse Box
Can somebody tell me what the other 2 boxes are beside it.
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-p6050079.jpg

5 - What is this ?
The grey box says its a Musical Flasher - No idea what it is supposed to do.
The black box has no indication on it to say anything so... plz help me in identifying this.
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-p6050082.jpg

Hoping to get some direction on this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kumar

Last edited by catchkumar : 10th September 2010 at 23:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks