Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 12:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
I

1 - Is the Brake booster but people who have driven the jeep find it surprisingly hard (It has a pneumatic air pressure going into it, its similar to the one which powers the wipers)

Kumar, this is what is called Vaccum Servo Assisted Power Brakes. Onl a slight sloppy road try braking with engine on and with engine cut. If in Engine on mode the braking effort is considerably less than the off mode, the Power Assist is working. This feeling you will get if you try the brake pedal before starting and after starting even while stationary

2 - Fuse Box i guess (But check the Zoom in Pics - No Fuses what has gone wrong here?)

I can see fuse wires in the box. Instead of the fuse tubes (wire encased in glass) some one has put in old fashioned fuse wires. By itself no issue and in an old jeep its better if you are doing OTR etc. The fuse tubes have a tendency to fall off from old fuse boxes when the vibrations of an OTR become too intense.

3,4,5 - No idea what these are - Can somebody help me please (Zoom in pics of 5 also attached)

I don't have any idea of this too. I guess at some point it had a musical horn and this two boxes could have been the controllers to it

Attachment 421740

The so called Fuse Box
Can somebody tell me what the other 2 boxes are beside it.
Attachment 421741

The one next to fuse box with PMP stamped on it is a Headlight Power Rely (usually this used to be fitted for Halogen Bulbs).

The one next to it with 3 leads is a Rely unit for Horns

Hoping to get some direction on this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kumar
Kumar I have answered (I guess) your queries except one. Hope this was usefull. May be I am wrong, but would like the "Jeep Gurus" inputs.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 12th September 2010, 09:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since the Jeep is now staying back @ home its time to get to know more & start the restoration slowly....
1st tell me whether you got a new battery? Then call me, we shall start the process stage by stage.

1) Brake system
2) Electricals, if they work, leave them, but I would like to get at least a Jeep type speedo unit. Let me know, we can also get a general check of the alternator, looks kaput to me. Also, lets please get a simple wiper motor and blade.
3) Lets hope there is no more stages
Old 12th September 2010, 10:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Kumar I have answered (I guess) your queries except one. Hope this was usefull. May be I am wrong, but would like the "Jeep Gurus" inputs.

Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1st tell me whether you got a new battery? Then call me, we shall start the process stage by stage.

1) Brake system
2) Electricals, if they work, leave them, but I would like to get at least a Jeep type speedo unit. Let me know, we can also get a general check of the alternator, looks kaput to me. Also, lets please get a simple wiper motor and blade.
3) Lets hope there is no more stages

Hi Ram & Santosh,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.
Am happy to know that i do not have to change the to fuse system & that its preferred on OTR's than the normal Fuse Box.

Guess the Power assist brakes are not working as i hardly feel any difference in breaking with the engine OFF or ON.
Hope it doesn't involve too much work however will get this checked & fixed.

Musical Horns - Will get all the unwanted clutter cleared off and am sure i will never use any musical horns LOL.

Headlight Power Relay is one which am sure will need to be checked & fixed since the battery drains out if i switch on the lights of course that is if am driving not more than 10-15 kms.

Santosh,

I completely agree with you on the speedo meter console, lets get something standard & one which works esp. the temp. gauge & the fuel meter.

Am sure there will be some work on the alternator basis the above & our observations. The battery seems to be fine for now however if it needs replacement lets go ahead with it.

From a local mechanic who adjusted my clutch i got to know that there is back or bad compression hope he is wrong but that is the next on course if at all it needs some attention.

Santosh - can we visit your Mechanic in Hosur i know its a bit of a distance but i think in terms of reliability & cost effectiveness am strongly leaning towards Hosur than Jeep Clinic.
Let me know when you are free after the Avalkonda OTR to get this going.

Planning to take this slow & steady as i want the Jeep to be completely reliable hence all your inputs are even more important to me thanks Ram & Santosh again.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 12th September 2010, 22:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Kumar, sorry to have cut off the phone call, had a very very hectic day, and when you called I was literally off the ground doing some articulation testing... lets talk in detail monday.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:18   #65
BHPian

Re: My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help

Santosh has been baby sitting my jeep & his giving his expertise to get it OTR ready.
Santosh - Please update the technicalities as am still on the learning curve.
To begin with Santosh found a "Made in France" Diesel Pump in my Jeep this was a big surprise for us.
More updates to come straight from the horses mouth ;-)

Regards,
Kumar
Old 14th December 2010, 13:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Santosh found a "Made in France" Diesel Pump in my Jeep this was a big surprise for us
The pump is a 'RotoDiesel' pump, the more I researched into it, I came up with this Tbhp Link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ification.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-should-i.html

Kumar - I am 90% sure you have a XD2S engine, I need to go back home and check the engine head. Many things coincide to make yours a XD2

a) The Hyderabadi birth place (workmanship)
b) Fazal also got a XD2S engine there
c) The Low Bonnet Mod - looks like the XDP4.9 engine mounts are different from a XD2S (I am just shooting words here, not even sure) - Experts please comment.
d) Rotodiesel pump with the made in france tag, of course...!!

After driving the jeep for 2 full days and getting the mech along side learnt the following, (may not be the end).

1) Clutch is the old 'finger-type' system, not the latest 'diaphram' type. It is natually hard and slips lot more than the new type ones. Above that fact, this jeeps loading/friction/clutch plate is worn out (completely) and needs replacement. Mech suggested a complete overhaul, go to the newer technology, parts alone cost 4K. For want of funds, currently Only the 'Clutch Lining' is changed at a local clutch shop. Mech completely against it, says this job wont last long, but better than spending more on a 'new-plate-from-old-tech'..!!

Will replace the whole assy in coming months.

2) Brake system (see previous page) - has some 'vacuum-assit-booster', runs off the alternator. Not done right, so making it Direct (like a stock CJ3B/CJ340 should be), also getting all 4 brake pads checked. Brake pedal only moves a 'Centimeter' to fully lock the brakes - no feel of gradual braking effort here!!

3) Accelarator/'ration' - looks like the power is supplied from a PDS - Ration shop. 1 horse at a time...!! The engine revs good in 1st and 2nd (some power loss due to the busted clutch of course), and "when revved hard in 2nd and changed to 3rd - it FEELS AS I SHIFTED TO 5TH OR EVEN 6TH GEAR"

Why is there such a MASSIVE loss of power when I shift to 3rd. Can the top gear ALONE be changed/MODDED to a HIGHER FINAL Ratio? Jeep cant even climb a normal 25'Degree (about half Km) incline. Mid way it GASPS, and I have to shift to 2nd and rev hard again. I dont think the clutch alone can cause 'all' this, can it?

4) All gearbox seals have gone Kaput - need to change them, while at it, will check the count of gear-teeth and post it here.

Experts - Please post the count of gear tooth (all 3+1 gears) for a T90-3-speed (CJ3B like) gear box. I shall check when I am at the mechanics place.

5) Electrical - Dashboard/Instrument Cluster - None of the IC works properly and it has the FJs cluster, planning to convert to the stock jeeps cluster is $$$ Permits. At least crudely fit the 'Temp' and 'Oil Pressure' Gauge somewhere. Critical parameters you see...

Battery - DEAD yesterday morning. Had to tow start with my jeep, after a lot of pumping+2nd gear+crank-all-the-while circus it started. Local battery, at least 2 of 6 cells are weak, need to service it.

6) Minor issue - all leafs are very thin and this mod is done to ride like a sedan, I was plesantly suprised at the ride quality. Not sure about articulation and its effects though. Hope it doesnt break!!

More updates as the work progresses...

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th December 2010 at 13:38.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:53   #67
BHPian

Picture of the Engine Bay.

Santosh,
I have sent a PM to our most renowned & knowledgeable friends on TBHP.
Hope to see some Light from their response.

Regards,
Kumar
Attached Thumbnails
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-enginebay.jpg  

Last edited by catchkumar : 14th December 2010 at 17:09.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1) Clutch is the old 'finger-type' system, not the latest 'diaphram' type. It is natually hard and slips lot more than the new type ones. ....
2) Brake system (see previous page) - has some 'vacuum-assit-booster', runs off the alternator. Not done right, so making it Direct (like a stock CJ3B/CJ340 should be), also getting all 4 brake pads checked. Brake pedal only moves a 'Centimeter' to fully lock the brakes - no feel of gradual braking effort here!!

6) Minor issue - all leafs are very thin and this mod is done to ride like a sedan, I was plesantly suprised at the ride quality. Not sure about articulation and its effects though. Hope it doesnt break!!
Hi,
The Jeep coil spring type clutch is what I blame for my knee and hip trouble!
Why something with no torque would need such a heavy clutch I could never figure out.

Did you say brake pads? Has it been converted to disks? In that case you'll certainly need the servo. BTW, the servo looks like the old Elgi servo. Is it? Then its priciple of operation is somewhat different to the ones we find in modern cars.

Thin leaves break less. (Other things being equal)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th December 2010, 23:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Dear CatchKumar and Santosh,

If this engine is a XD2 or XD2S, you are very lucky.

To check if it is...look between the first and second nozzle on the head, the number will be marked as in pic 1&2 (indicated by red arrows).

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8388-.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8388.jpg
If your pump is French, then your alternator could also be Bosch, Germany as mine in pic. 3, 4, 5. This alternator does not drive a vacuum pump for the power brake as the pump on this engine is an independent unit. But yours seems otherwise, it could have been changed to power your existing booster.
Also the breather pipe would originate from the frontal portion of the tappet cover (red arrow).

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8389.jpg
Check for markings at the rear end of alternator.
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_6881.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_6877.jpg
Same engine refurbished, present status.
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_7282.jpg
Regards,
Old 15th December 2010, 08:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Fazal,

The quality of build in the engine appears to be really nice (at least from the looks) I hope the performance also matches the looks.

Since its you I am sure it does!

Ram
Old 15th December 2010, 09:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Fazal, the head doesnt have the XD2 marking, neither has a seperate vacuum unit. The breather is in the center like a XDP4.9. May be it is just a case of this pump being mated to a XDP4.9, whatever has been done, the power delivery is bad.

Edit-
The alternator has been modded to accomodate a piggy-back vacuum generating unit (as said by mech), interesting mod, will post pics later.

Opening up the GB today, will post some detailed pics later. Please comment on it tonight...

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th December 2010 at 09:23.
Old 16th December 2010, 23:13   #72
BHPian

Pictures of the Engine, Sump & the pump.
Hope this helps us in getting help identifying the same.
Attached Thumbnails
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-enginecloseup.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-engineside.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-sump2.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-pump.jpg  

Old 17th December 2010, 10:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Does that 1950 mean a 60 year old pump???!!
Old 17th December 2010, 10:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pictures of the Engine, Sump & the pump.
Hope this helps us in getting help identifying the same.
Hi Kumar,

This looks like the Old Gen XD4.9P (2112cc) Engine.

It can be identified by the inspection Window Near/Below the Exhaust Manifold.

The CAV pump was common on earlier engines.

Since you have a Peugeot to T-90 bell-Housing, this combination was offered on the CJ500DP & CJ500DP-101. (1979-1983/85c)

Regards,

Arka
Old 17th December 2010, 11:33   #75
BHPian

Thanks for the info & help Arka & Fazal.
Here are a few more pictures of the jeep
The brake Booster
The piggy back vacuum unit which Santosh mentioned about
The Gearbox (Surprisingly there was absolutely no oil in the well)
The front Axles - On the right side it says Front Axle & on the Left (Has a unique US Pat number) seeing it for the 1st time.
The shocks seems to be shifted a few inches back not sure why.

There seems to be more unique things on the Jeep. Will post more pictures of the same.
Hope to get some help & info on the Jeep / Parts basis the photos.
Looking forward for help from all the experts on the forum.

Regards,
Kumar
Attached Thumbnails
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-booster.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-booster2.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-piggyback.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-gearbox.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-axles.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-axles2.jpg  

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-shocks.jpg  

Most Viewed