Team-BHP - My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/78501-my-willys-cj-low-bonnet-need-help.html)

Hi! All,

This is my first post on TBHP in-spite of being an avid reader of all the posts & threads in greater detail though a new member.

Am a proud owner of Willys CJ Low Bonnet 1955 model the Insurance Document says CJ3A while the RC book says CJ3B & the owner from whom i bought the Jeep had directly picked this from the Hyderabad Military Campus, says he dint carry any body work but alas he had changed the Petrol Heart to a PGO Diesel & had removed the 4WD Shaft & also the Gun Rack. :Frustrati

Here is a picture of my prized possession ...... more photos in the same thread read on .......

A Few things which i need all the help, advice, suggestions & guidance from the Expert TBHP'ns -
please:
1. The Chassis says its CJ3B but the previous owner says no body work was done so is my jeep a genuine Low Bonnet ?
Where CJ3B's available in low bonnet version ?

2. In the near future (1 Month) i would seriously be hunting for the original Willys engine & any help in sourcing the same would be much appreciated.

I need to replace the tarpaulin to avoid my head getting wet during Bangalore rains :-). Have tried all the shops in Bangalore on JC Road & around for a waterproof tarpaulin White or off White with not much luck am back to square one. The alternate is to use a different colored one which i really don't want to. Does anybody know where i can get the same from ?

My jeep has the original 3 gear 4 WD Gear box. The 4WD gears have never been used by me - Its really hard even to move the gears.
Would need the shaft if thats what is missing so any idea where i can get it in bangalore?
What might be wrong with the 4WD & how much would it cost to get it up and running ?

Am already on the hunt for a winch. From the looks of my jeep i strongly feel it must have had a PTO Winch & i would be the happiest to get the same. Pressing the F1 button again !!!!!!!

Mods or restoration work planned / pending -
a. The jeep has a slight tilt on right hand side need to get this fixed.
b. My jeep has left marks everywhere it had been parked - The gear box oil is what is dripping need to get this fixed.
c. Am planning to get an arieal & have all the snaps to copy for fabrication.
d. The Gun Rack is almost home will get this installed.

The Rubber is hard & might need replacement but not immediately.
please:
Seeking all the support from everybody on the forum to get my ship in shape :-)
Putting my offical email ID here in the hope to hear from all of you.
You can reach me @ - capturekumar@yahoo.com

By the way if you want to take my jeep for a drive you are welcome to do so am put up in Jayanagar 4th T Block.

Regards,
Kumar

Kumar,
Congratulations and welcome to the Jeep world & team-bhp clap:
Its great to see your first post here with a pic of your newly acquired Jeep.

You have got a Jeep which is almost in immaculate condition and you dont need much effort to bring it back to a fully equipped 4x4 Jeep.

Regarding the model, since you said its a 1955 model I dont think its neither CJ2A or CJ3A since both were not produced in 1955. My sense is its a converted CJ3B, But I may be wrong.

Regarding mods I think you should just do the basic stuff drive it for a while and then think of furthers modifircations.
While you are doing please change that premier padmini instrument panel to orginal Jeep ones.

For getting soft top done. talk to Bangalore Jeepers, Jaggu or Nishanth. They recently got their softtops done.

All the Best
Shibu

@ Kumar congrats!!!! The body shape is excellent.

@Shibu, i think CJ3A were built from 1948 - 1955. I may be wrong here. Need to dig up for details.

Thanks
--Sree--

That's a nice Jeep you got there. The side repeaters/reflectors near the rear wheel arch look out of place. Ditto goes for the instrument cluster and the yellowish brightwork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan (Post 1811057)
@ Kumar congrats!!!! The body shape is excellent.

@Shibu, i think CJ3A were built from 1948 - 1955. I may be wrong here. Need to dig up for details.

Thanks
--Sree--

Sree,

The CJ-3A was produced for five model years, 1949 to 1953. I had done some research on 3A when I was about to get one last year. But it was not original so dropped the plan.
See Below
Dating a CJ-3A

CatchKumar,
This is....I think a CJ3B, converted to low bonnet and has the unmistakable signature of Hyderabad body works on it. Check for the orgins of this Jeep on the papers. Hyderabad fabricators are loaded with orders from Banglore.
A neat one though.
For your refrence I am attaching a similar handmade replica from Hyderabad.
Regards,

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8995.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8996.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_9000.jpg

My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-img_8999.jpg

Congratz she is a real beauty! Hope you soon sort out the work and drop in for one of the OTR's with a working 4x4 transmission :)

Thank you Shibu, Sree, coloneljasi, Fazal & Jaggu for the comments & help in trying to identifying the origins.
The RC Book clearly says its a 1955 CJ3B however the Insurance Says CJ3A not really sure why the difference here.
Also can you all suggest a good workshop in Bangalore to get the 4 WD working as an immediate restoration to help me join you people on any OFF Road events.

Thanks a lot again.
Looking out for more info & help till we have the required restoration complete.

Regards,
Kumar

WHat instrument cluster is that.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1812305)
WHat instrument cluster is that.?

Shibu says its a premier padmini instrument panel - I would be restoring the same to the originals in time.

Hi Catchkumaar

This is a mix breed of CJ3A & CJ3B :D The chassis is of CJ3B hence the RC book shows CJ3B 1955 model. The body is fabricated very neatly and given the looks of CJ3A.

Don't know why people play with the originality of these rare beauty. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchkumar (Post 1810572)
Hi! All,

... the owner from whom i bought the Jeep had directly picked this from the Hyderabad Military Campus, says he dint carry any body work ...

Regards,
Kumar

Congrats on the new possession Kumar. As far as I know CJ2A/3A used to be left hand drives. Secondly the spare wheel was mounted on the rear right hand side. Moreover the rear door in this one seems to be openable sideways whereas the original one used to hang down when opened. So the previous owner's statement of not carrying any body work doesnt seem to fit. I think it could be a CJ3B. However the body is neat. It looks fantastic. Once again congrats:thumbs up.

Regards .... Saikat

Well Kumar, Congratulations on the Jeep.

But i am afraid, its actually not a genuine Low Bonnet. The Hyderabad signature is all over the Jeep and you cant help the resemblences.

Originally a 1955 CJ3B is also a rare and a desirable jeep, sad it was transformed. But done neatly.

Not nitpicking, but few tell tale signs, Tail gate, Tail light, Steering,Wrong side mounted spare wheel, Right hand drive, Dashboard,locally made C shackles, Front end height not matching with the rear.Willys embossing on the Bonnet.

Dont get disheartned, its still a well built jeep. Enjoy it as it is, someday you can get hold of one genuine Low bonnet.

If it does the job well a jeep is supposed to do, you have won it there. Enjoy and congrats once again. :)

Thank you Kadam, Saikat & Gungeek.

As you all pointed i realize its a modified low bonnet after much research over the net & your comments.

Also True is that this was a left hand drive which has been moved to the right.
The rear door opens to hang down while the spare wheel open to the side.

Am yet to find a good mechanic to get the 4 wd in working condition any suggestions for you people will truly help.

Will be joining my 1st OTR this Sunday without the 4wd :-( but hope to pick some good lessons from all the experts :-)

Regards,
Kumar

Hey Kumar,

Congratulations!! I had replied your posting few days back.Looks like it got missed.You got a nice Jeep. I see lot of modifications done on your Jeep. I too got one CJ3B, you can have a visit to my thread.

-Karumbaiah