Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 18:46   #1
jp1
BHPian

Bolero Storm 4x4 Wish list

Since it is announced that Bolero Storm 4x4 is in the making, here goes my wish list. My typical use 80% tarmac and 20% off-road

Must have -
- 4x4 Manual shift, not so keen on electric shift
- ABS - Bolero brakes are bad, storm really require ABS
- A/c and Power Steering
- Wider front seats
- Foldable/split 2nd row seat
- Better steering feedback

Nice to have
- Coil spring suspension for rear wheels
- Differential lock
Old 31st March 2010, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Since it is announced that Bolero Storm 4x4 is in the making, here goes my wish list.
When? How? Any news officially declared?

Spike
Old 31st March 2010, 19:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

To be or not to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
When? How? Any news officially declared?

Spike
hahaha spike,
Behram sir has confirmed that 4wd bolero storm is being considered and hence this confusion!

Jp1 should have started this thread in consultation with Behram sir, else it is meaningless. I think it is worth spending time on this thread only if Behram sir insists. And personally even i am against the topic. Creates lot of hopes and disappointment for few and lots and lots of explanation by the people who are making it!!

IMO thread if needed should be' Anything and every thing Bolero Storm 4wd". Safe caption i would say!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 31st March 2010 at 19:10.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
hahaha spike,
Behram sir has confirmed that 4wd bolero storm is being considered and hence this confusion!
Creates lot of hopes and disappointment for few and lots and lots of explanation by the people who are making it!!

IMO thread if needed should be' Anything and every thing Bolero Storm 4wd". Safe caption i would say!
Really? He has quoted it here? I didn't know that, thanks for clarification.

Spike

P.S. Vinod, You are indeed a strategy guy, i must start taking classes from you.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
.... lots and lots of explanation by the people who are making it!!
Vinod you mean to say they are making an "it".

And what are the explanations, do they feel morally obliged to answer the questions, no, just wait till the thread goes on a few more pages, It takes courage to stand up and say

i) we messed up, Or
ii) we didn't know what we are doing, or
iii) sorry we tried to cook up a Pick-up chassis and a MM540 body, or
iv) we have never gone off-road, to understand the requirements of a European Farm ONLY vehicle. or
v) We have never owned a JEEP or a 4x4 to understand vehicle dynamics off-road or
vi) We have'nt seen the latest youtube videos
vii) internet connection in Central India, is not very good.
viii) WE DON'T CARE, This is INDIA, what ever we make will sell either ways.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Any more Questions, I will Guide You.......

Last edited by ex670c : 1st April 2010 at 13:46. Reason: typo
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:04   #6
jp1
BHPian

There seems to be some apprehensions putting in requirements for Storm 4x4 based on Thar experience. I am sure Mahindra team would try to work on whatever possible. But unless someone take the pain of asking, it may not get even considered. They may have their own reasoning why a particular feature cannot be provided.
But till today I am not able to figure out why MM cannot provide a simple requirement of a Bolero user, providing foldable seat for 2nd row. How can we call it an MPV or MUV (utility) when you cannot use it for multi purpose?. I believe Bolero cannot be used for Multi purpose (read luggage carrier) as long as the 2nd row seat cannot be folded. Almost all MPVs provide the 2nd seat foldable, but highest selling MUV in India do not have that feature. So IMO, it cannot be called as an MUV. Even small cars like 800 or Wagon R can take much more luggage (seat folded) compared to a Bolero.
Hope MM can provide atleast this much, if not all other requirements
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
- ABS - Bolero brakes are bad, storm really require ABS
- A/c and Power Steering
1.) ABS does not necessarily translate into "better brakes". In tests against experienced trained humans, most such humans out perform production ABS systems by a surprising margin. Bigger discs up front and a rear brake that holds on hills would be nice.

2.) I must echo Vinod. You should have left this thread to Behram and Company. Please ask the mods to change its title.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd April 2010 at 13:49.
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
1.) ABS does not necessarily translate into "better brakes". In tests against experienced trained humans, most such humans out perform production ABS systems by a surprising margin. Bigger discs up front and a rear brake that holds on hills would be nice.
You have too much faith in mankind DD.. :-)
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You have too much faith in mankind DD.. :-)
Not really. ABS systems could easily be built to outperform humans. My point was that, in fact, the best humans currently out perform PRODUCTION grade ABS. It's been tested a few times and my statement is a generalization prone to exceptions.
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ken - you are absolutely correct. I am a human ABS and my braking / stopping distances are not replicateable in real life as my reflexes when I am on the driver's seat are extremely fast. Therefore, I do not consider myself a representative driver as far as normal customer inputs are concerned but during our testing programmes we have what is known as an RWUP DVP (Real World Usage Pattern - Design Validation Plan). During RWUP trials, I make it a habit to drive as a real world usage customer would drive and then evaluate the vehicles. I cannot be a human ABS at that time.

Dear jp1 - your comment on rear seat is well taken. There are various reasons why some features are there on some vehicles.

Dear all - Please give your comments on Bolero VLX 4 wheel drive as we in my group are going to progress a prototype for "proof of concept" stage work as of now. It will have mechanically actuated transfer case.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th April 2010, 00:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Vinod you mean to say they are making an "it".

And what are the explanations, do they feel morally obliged to answer the questions, no, just wait till the thread goes on a few more pages, It takes courage to stand up and say

i) we messed up, Or
ii) we didn't know what we are doing, or
iii) sorry we tried to cook up a Pick-up chassis and a MM540 body, or
iv) we have never gone off-road, to understand the requirements of a European Farm ONLY vehicle. or
v) We have never owned a JEEP or a 4x4 to understand vehicle dynamics off-road or
vi) We have'nt seen the latest Youtube videos
vii) internet connection in Central India, is not very good.
viii) WE DON'T CARE, This is INDIA, what ever we make will sell either ways.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Any more Questions, I will Guide You.......
Dutta Sahab! you are so correct!
Old 4th April 2010, 09:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bolero VLX 4X4 sounds really interesting.
i am up for it
i want one badly

1st thing in wish list would be 16" tyres and better GC
Old 4th April 2010, 09:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...Dear all - Please give your comments on Bolero VLX 4 wheel drive as we in my group are going to progress a prototype for "proof of concept" stage work as of now. It will have mechanically actuated transfer case.
So that means things are moving and its just not a rumour. And the mechanical actuation is a welcome thing
Old 4th April 2010, 11:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bolero VLX 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - Please give your comments on Bolero VLX 4 wheel drive as we in my group are going to progress a prototype for "proof of concept" stage work as of now. It will have mechanically actuated transfer case.
Hello DB Sir,

Enough and more information is there on a Few Threads, but you don't seem to notice it, since you know what ever M&M makes in the name of 4WDs will sell.

What do you want us to comment about?
1) IFS 4WD?
2) Rack & Pinion Steering for a Live Axle?
3) FFRA?
4) No Skid-Plate or Sump Guard?
5) The Resultant lack of Mods (Serious Mods not M&M Customization Type)

It took M&M 10 years to realize that Electronic/Electric 4WD Shifter is going to be a failure in INDIA.

My guess is it was introduced to have the customer, running back, to the A.S.S after every outdoor trip, i.e rip off the customer.

The above applies for the IFS 4WD.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th April 2010, 13:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

OT, but I would love to retrofit the mechanical t-case to my Scorpio 4x4, but I guess it will be easier to buy a Storm 4x4, take the parts that I need and sell the rest of the vehicle than source the part from Mahindra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks