Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 00:34   #61
BHPian

CoE 4X4 / Cult....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - As we in the organization move from one financial year to another, it becomes a natural progression that we look very closely at newer opportunities for us to base our business progress, customer delight focus and growth. As the standard of living in our country progresses, expression of one's lifestyle has become a necessary requirement of people. Out of the various modes people use to express themselves, off roading in 4 wheel drive vehicles has become one of the preferred modes of this expression. We realize and recognize the potential that this essential activity brings to us, not only as a business but also as a means by which we interact with you all, build customer goodwill and progress the brand awareness and loyalty.

It gives me immense pleasure to inform all of you that from tomorrow, I take over additional responsibility as HEAD COE - 4 WHEEL DRIVE / CULT VEHICLES at Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.

Guys, I am essentially one of you. Over the last one year and 3 months, thanks to all of you and TeamBHP, I think I can state that I have recieved more than my share of recognition as a 4 wheel drive enthusiast and I humbly thank each and every one of you for the same.

I now request you to please share your 4 wheel drive related requirements, needs, emotions and anything else that you may want to share in this thread. We are already interacting on the Thar thread which is only one amongst many M&M 4 wheel drive products playing around in my head. I firmly believe that utilization of this thread will bring out the best amongst all of us, which will finally benefit everybody, you as our brand ambassadors and the organization, where I shall endeavour to bring to you more and more exciting 4 wheel drive possibilities / products.

And by the way, the Thar is well on its way to you, in 4 wheel drive as well as in 2 wheel drive configurations..

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Congrats Behram Sir!

If the CoE is focussed on 4X4 & Cult vehicles/status of M&M then it would be a blessing to see the CL340 return with coil springs, Solid axles, lift kits, PS, AC, a FRP top, foldable windscreen etc.

I am praying.

Regards and wish you the best in your extended role.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Congrats Behram Sir!

If the CoE is focussed on 4X4 & Cult vehicles/status of M&M then it would be a blessing to see the CL340 return with coil springs, Solid axles, lift kits, PS, AC, a FRP top, foldable windscreen etc.

I am praying.
God can bring endangered specie to life but not the extinct one!! You are praying to bring back the good old dinosaur not even Cheetah which is extinct in India. I don't think it is ever possible to do that my friend!!
Old 6th April 2010, 00:01   #63
BHPian

Keeping the Faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
God can bring endangered specie to life but not the extinct one!! You are praying to bring back the good old dinosaur not even Cheetah which is extinct in India. I don't think it is ever possible to do that my friend!!
Dear Vinod, you may be absolutely right! No harm just keeping the faith and as Behram Sir has mentioned in the first post of this thread to 'mention all that we desire', therefore just hoping that the dinosaur returns.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:53   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are praying to bring back the good old dinosaur not even Cheetah which is extinct in India. I don't think it is ever possible to do that my friend!!
Don't be so sure Vinod
Old 6th April 2010, 10:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Don't be so sure Vinod
DKG,
I would love to be proved wrong in this case. Lets hope the good old little dinosaur returns in its new avatar.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:31   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG,
I would love to be proved wrong in this case. Lets hope the good old little dinosaur returns in its new avatar.
The challenge would be to find a suitable new drivetrain that meets current emission norms. I am purely going by Mr. Dhabhjar's fondness for the SWB Jeep. Left to him I am certain it will be revived in a new iteration
Old 6th April 2010, 10:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Return of the little dinasour!

Quote:
The challenge would be to find a suitable new drivetrain that meets current emission norms. I am purely going by Mr. Dhabhjar's fondness for the SWB Jeep. Left to him I am certain it will be revived in a new iteration
Yes DKG,
That's the key!! A 5 speed tranny will be too large for 90 WB and again current NEF engines will be an excuse to drop in IFS, robbing the essential characteristics of a jeep.

The best what they can do with current power train is to soup up major, provide bigger tyres to off set loss in ramp over angle and yes, they will have to revert to original CJ folding type glass frame and not oddly looking MM540 type frame. Pasting pic to show wind shield frame comparison.

Edit:-
Thinking out of the box, why is it not possible for M&M to plonk in Logan's 1.5 litre Diesel engine (or even a 1.6 petrol) with a smaller gearbox adapted to 4wd in a CJ 340??
Attached Thumbnails
Coe - Centre Of Excellence - 4 Wheel Drive-dsc01478.jpg  

Coe - Centre Of Excellence - 4 Wheel Drive-major-souvenir.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 6th April 2010 at 11:03.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Edit:-
Thinking out of the box, why is it not possible for M&M to plonk in Logan's 1.5 litre Diesel engine (or even a 1.6 petrol) with a smaller gearbox adapted to 4wd in a CJ 340??
Is it because they are FWD engines?
Old 6th April 2010, 12:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Is it because they are FWD engines?
As i said i am just thinking out of the box. They know which engine must be good for them. BTW a transverse engine can be made longitudinal like the case in a Gypsy and mated to 4wd GB.

They can surely revive CJ 340 once they finalize power train for their up coming mini SUV. Smaller engine and GB is the only way to bring back CJ 340 i believe.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

no reply by BD after starting the thread??

anyway hearty congratulations to you and your COE dept.

i have one request, PLEASE take over MM customization under your care!
Old 6th April 2010, 14:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Last but not least - train your A$$ guys not to make a A$$ of jeep owners and learn to treat them&the machine on par with a flashy/blingy scorpio/xylo owner.
I second that - no M&M A.S.C. in Bangalore is ready to take my Classic for service quoting lack of spares as the reason. Only India Garage is willing but they re-direct me to their Hasserghatta facility which is at the other end of city for me!! Wonder why all centers cannot be equipped to service a Jeep!!??
Old 6th April 2010, 14:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Something like the Skoda Yeti?
Yes something like that but not at that price, affordable, good economic diesel engine, nice highway cruse for Indian road condition with styling
Old 7th April 2010, 00:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
It would be a blessing if the SWB CL340 returns, I would personally be grateful to the Almighty! for answering my prayers.

The Major is still around, and if M&M plans, it sure can return.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:39   #74
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Behram

Good to have a company man with an inclination towards addressing the pulse of the 4x4 enthusiast.

Let the good times begin. My wish leans towards a SWB 4x4 with all the bells and whistles

Best wishes for this endeavour...

Sats
Old 7th April 2010, 22:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - thank you very much for all your fantastic comments. I kept quiet for 7 days as I was quietly reading everything. Now I need to say some things. Here they are.

A small background to my new assignment - first of all, let me state that I am very proud to work for M&M. It is a great place to work. "Auto Passion" in employees is an officially recognized capability. We work, but we also enjoy. We have an Auto Passion Blog. We have an internal Auto Passion Quiz. We have a stalwart amongst us. We call him "Doc". Dr.Krishnamurthy Iyer in his inimitable "shayarana" style comperes the quiz show. The finals are also compered by "Sid" (Siddharth Vinayak Patankar). This show was aired on TV. The winning team got a free Xylo each. We have "Accelerator Awards" given out to employees who have contrbuted notably towards introducing new ideas, new products etc. Why, for a month, I learnt Jazz and Salsa dancing alongside 340 newly joined trainees (we danced to the song "tu hi meri soniye" - wow!). I am supposed to be a GM in the company, so what? Which other company will allow me to do all this? Which other company has the GM's cabin door always open for any engineer to walk in with his ideas? This is the way we are. This helps us to build an unshakeable bond with the company. In my case, recognizing my almost addictive "Actionable Auto Passion" for "Anything 4 Wheel Drive", the management has given me this job. Whew! Now you know!

Now, what we in my group can do and what we cannot do - We can do so many things. Your wish list echoes my sentiments completely. However, let me explain. We must respect the law of the land where we sell our vehicles. We in India follow the European norms (EEC). Let's take the best example.

What does this mean to the re-birth of the good old CL340? - I want the CL340 in the showrooms as badly as you do, but what does it mean to us today? We must meet "BS4". This means that the vehicle must meet the BS4 emission norms in the category in which you want to buy it, which is with the private registration or the white number plate. Technically, this is the category where the emission norms are the most stringent. This means that we must completely re-engineer the vehicle, not just with a compliant engine but with a suitable driveline as well, which will not only meet the test during initial homologation (it is called "type approval") but it will also meet the test when the car is actually in mass production (it is called COP or "conformity of production"). Now, do you understand what it will take if I have to get the CL340 into the showrooms once again? The XDP4.90 & XD3P engines are history. They do not meet BS4. It is as simple as that.

For undertaking such assignments, "auto passion" is required. We undertake just such work. We pre-empt all rational timelines. We set impossible targets and we meet them. Thar is the result of just such a capability, delivered in record time and now successfully sold overseas. Very soon it will be sold from showrooms across India, and that's a promise.

Now with all this information, please give us your comments, then the information in this thread will be really invaluable.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks