Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 03:55   #1
BHPian

Blind Love, Blind Faith !!!

Hi guys,

Like most people I have always dreamt of having a Gypsy but unfortunately things like marriage and kids took priority. Budget constraints always prevented this dream from materializing. I was looking for a cheap army disposal Gypsy with no luck. I've always heard that up north Gypsys are more common and cheaper, recently I was chatting with a friend online from Assam and I just happened to mention that I was looking for a Gypsy. Surprise, surprise he had one back home and was thinking of selling it. Without a second thought I said I wanted it. All he said was it is a 2000 model with 47k on the odo and in good condition. He had previously driven his Santro down to Blr from Assam and he said he would drive this down for me.
I was so excited that we signed off without getting more info. Now after going thru so many threads about Gypsys I have a few concerns and questions.

1) Seems the Gypsy King is the best of all the Gypsys, and there is the carb version and the mpfi version. Which type was manufactured in 2000?
And how is it in terms of reliability and performance as compared to the others?

2) Since the beginning of April 2010, new BIV norms came into effect in the metros, can I register this vehicle in Blr?

3) I had presumed that since he has agreed to drive it down to Blr from Assam that this vehicle is in good condition, am I correct?

4) Assuming he has done jus 47k, would the vehicle still have its original tyres, or fairly new tyres from a recent change?

5) I've heard stories of costly drinking habits (FE), costly spares etc. How relevant is this for a 2000 model?

6) I would be using this vehicle mostly in city and occassionally OTR (depending on my increasing interest in OTR) How can I initially improve the ride and handling to get used to the vehicle? Suggestions for tyres and suspension setting etc.

7) Will surely take it to my MASS and do a full checkup as well as the mandatory change (as advised) of battery, fuel pump, alternator and fan belt for a peace of mind. what would all this cost me? Anything else?

8) How much should I offer my friend for his vehicle, and what would my other costs be, i.e. change of regn., any additional taxes etc.

9) Different ways to get increased GC, and how much is the cost involved?

10) Any other advice most welcome and looking forward to my first OTR outing.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Old 6th April 2010, 07:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you have a Gypsy King MG413W with carbs on hand.

Being a 10 yr old car, you should be looking at spending a bit to do her up.
Old 6th April 2010, 07:55   #3
BHPian

1. If the G is post April 2000 (Euro standards introduced) the MPFI else carb.
2. Given that it is an out of state veh & if Blr is in the BS4 list, doubtful.
3. Logical.
4. Depends on the driving terrain & style. Going by 3 the tyres too shold be good to survive a 2K(?) journey.
5. Spares are not costly for a G, only difficult to get. Depending on engine condition FE should be 9 / 11 , Carb / MPFI
6. Check out the various 4 x4 threads. There is more than enough gyan available.
7. Why change fuel pump & alternator? you have a full test drive from Assam to Blr. If the 4x4 has not been used regularly please change the T case shifter O ring.
8. refer on forum classifieds
9.Refer 4x4 vehicles & technical
10. Have fun
Old 6th April 2010, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys, what should I do about BS4 being in Blr? Can I get it registered here???
Also I have a 2000 model carb Esteem and was told by many that carb version though less powerful than mpfi, is easier and cheaper to maintain. Does the same apply to the gypsy as well since same engine?

Last edited by DRAGONLORD : 6th April 2010 at 10:36.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONLORD View Post
Thanks guys, what should I do about BS4 being in Blr? Can I get it registered here???
Get it registered in some town outside Bangalore (find an address that can be attributed to you - thats all I will say) and then drive it here.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:41   #6
BHPian

Good idea, but wont I have to show sum address proof? How to go about that? Can the so called 'touts'/agents help?

Also guys sum advice on how much to offer my friend, lets say if poor condition how much? If average condition how much? And if excellent condition how much?

Last edited by DRAGONLORD : 6th April 2010 at 10:44.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good idea, but wont I have to show sum address proof? How to go about that? Can the so called 'touts'/agents help?

Also guys sum advice on how much to offer my friend, lets say if poor condition how much? If average condition how much? And if excellent condition how much?

Do not approach agents directly, go to some town outside bangalore and talk to the RTO directly, i got my car registred in hyderabad when i had no address proof. Maximum you can do is find some friend outside bangalore and prepare a rent agreement and get the vehicle registered on your new rented place, you can later apply for a change in address once the registration is over.

Pramod
Old 6th April 2010, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Thanks Pramod, can I then apply for a change of address to Bangalore?

Also guys, still need to know how much to offer my friend? How much can I pay for a 2000 carb model in excellent condition with say 50K on the odo, then according to the amount of work needed, I will deduct from that amount.

*Keep in mind that it is an out-of-station vehicle from Assam.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pramod, can I then apply for a change of address to Bangalore?.
Yes, atleast technically

Quote:
Also guys, still need to know how much to offer my friend? How much can I pay for a 2000 carb model in excellent condition with say 50K on the odo, then according to the amount of work needed, I will deduct from that amount.

*Keep in mind that it is an out-of-station vehicle from Assam.
Anything between 1.8 to 2.5 lacs depending upon the condition, remember its a sellers market, if you want a steal deal do not quote your price, ask him his expectations, if it falls in your bracket fine else negotiate.

Pramod
Old 6th April 2010, 11:59   #10
BHPian

Thanks Pramod, also I have a 2000 model carb Esteem and was told by many that carb version though less powerful than mpfi, is easier and cheaper to maintain. Does the same apply to the gypsy as well since same engine?
Old 6th April 2010, 13:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pramod, also I have a 2000 model carb Esteem and was told by many that carb version though less powerful than mpfi, is easier and cheaper to maintain. Does the same apply to the gypsy as well since same engine?

look, it depends mainly on your application, If its one occassional OTR, a MG 410 W will not disappoint you, but if you need a machine which can chew and spit anykind of terrain, you need a lot of low end torque, which is less in a mg 413 carb and is comparitivly higher in a 413 MPFI, again if tuned properly a 413 carb can give a 413 MPFI a run for its money. Tuning a carb vehicle is simpler, as the MPFI system is a loopback system to gain little some times you might have to invest a lot compared to a carb.

When you compare a carb esteem to an MPFI esteem, i would say the MPFI is faster with almost similar maintanance cycles and costs. The only thing different in a MPFI is the way fuel is injected based on various parameters, so its efficient since you have less control and everything is verymuch self decided by the ECM.

I have seen a lot of people converting their carb heads to MPFI heads and if you ask them if they have gained a lot, i think they would not be able to give you a quick and honest answer.

Gypsy is more of a hobby vehicle so a millage little low should not hurt your pocket much. My carb esteem used to return a millage between 9-11 without AC in city and 14-16 on the highway without AC, my lancer given me above 11 in city with AC and highway figures go ~14KMPL, I have became much sane driver now with very less sprinted drives, so millage is not always depenedent on what car you drive its also how you drive. If you seriously love this vehicle millage should not be a concern. If your friend is driving it down from Assam then you have one reliable vehicle which you can just service and run. Gypsy parts are very cheaper as MGP parts are available unlike balenos where most of the parts are SGP. Its very cheap to maintain over all, and any indipendent garrage which has a good history can handle this vehicle with ease, going to Maruti A S S will not help as their staff is equally less trained on this vehicle like others.

Getting parts will not be a problem but will have a good waiting period, so before you take the plunge, think !!!

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 6th April 2010 at 13:19.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:24   #12
BHPian

Thanks again Pramod, my usage will be occassional OTR. My friend is asking 1.6L for the 2000 model carb gypsy and says the vehicle is in good enough condition to drive it from Assam to Blr. So, is this ok if in good condition??? If any major work required, I plan to deduct from asking price and I think he will be ok with that. Currently done 47K+ and will be around 50K on odo on arriving here.
Do I have a good deal here?

Last edited by DRAGONLORD : 6th April 2010 at 13:28.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again Pramod, my usage will be occassional OTR. My friend is asking 1.6L for the 2000 model carb gypsy and says the vehicle is in good enough condition to drive it from Assam to Blr. So, is this ok if in good condition??? If any major work required, I plan to deduct from asking price and I think he will be ok with that. Currently done 47K+ and will be around 50K on odo on arriving here.
Do I have a good deal here?
1.6lacs is not a bad deal atall for a 1.3 carb and that too in a running condition, not to mention that finding a gypsy first of all is very tricky and that too through a known source, I think you have a good deal at your hand mate!!!
Do not worry an go for it.

People here in Delhi pay about 100-120k for a carb gypsy (ex-army), then spend 20k grands on registration, the if you have to transport it to places like Mumbai, Pune or Blr add another 20k.
So here you have a vehicle which is not drivable, a piece of junk and cost you 140-160k's. This too without a battery.

Still do you have doubts in your mind???

If yes then pass your friends info to me, I have some friends who would definitely be interested in something like this.
Cheers
Old 14th April 2010, 21:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That rule applies only to new vehicles. Are you trying to say we can't register any old BS2/BS3 vehicles in Bangalore anymore?

Quote:
My friend is asking 1.6L for the 2000 model carb gypsy and says the vehicle is in good enough condition to drive it from Assam to Blr. So, is this ok if in good condition???
If it reaches Bangalore, it must be in good condition, at least the drive train.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th April 2010 at 21:31.
Old 14th April 2010, 23:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That rule applies only to new vehicles. Are you trying to say we can't register any old BS2/BS3 vehicles in Bangalore anymore?

If it reaches Bangalore, it must be in good condition, at least the drive train.
I second Sharat. Why should one worry about BSIV for old vehicles.
I don't think you would have any problems registering this vehicle in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks