Team-BHP - my new baby A 4X4 JEEP !!!(no specific model because its all mix and match)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   my new baby A 4X4 JEEP !!!(no specific model because its all mix and match) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/79216-my-new-baby-4x4-jeep-no-specific-model-because-its-all-mix-match.html)

There is nothing in life than knowing that your own 4x4 is coming soon and u can bash it up how you like,when you like (that doesn't mean i am not going to take care of her)

Well it all started after ''nat geo flight of the hawkz" i came back. started studiyn again(college as usual),had a thought sumwhere in my mind to buy a proper rugged offroader(my GV is a soft roader as many of you know)agree: ,
I talked to dad ,had a look at many gypsies and jeeps of all sorts just because i am not going to buy a jeep everyday.it is once in a lifetime (well, till i start earning myself)
took some time deciding on 'an ex army?' , a civilian jeep? , a gypsy? , a long chassis ? or short chassis ? , which paint? , which body? which kind of GC lift?
which engine? totally freaking me out after sleepless nights and ''daydreaming days''
went through almost all threads on tbhp in the 4x4 section

i personally liked the classic from the beginning because when you say ''open jeep !'' to a common man the first thing he says is 'classic jeep'.and that was exactly my state as a newbie in the JEEPER world.

i had finally decided what i wanted.
and here it is. finally work started on the jeep.

my selection of the parts fitted on the jeep are as follows-
-A classic 81 inch chassis
-XDP3 engine (2004 engine , euro 2)
-4X4 (pretty obvious)
-outer body to be lookalike of a 1942 MB (low bonnet,small lights inside of grill)
-indica seats (maybe travera seats as they are more comfortable)
-power steering from a scorpio
-disc brakes from a post 2000 armada grand
-15 inch black and chrome rims
-31X11.5 maxxis mudzillas
-good black paintjob
-maybe a rollcage

thanks a ton to Allan (XTREME POWER)..asked him a lot of wierd and wacky questions and he managed to answer them allstupid:
from the first thought to 'till date' he has always been there to call up and ask anything about any jeep.really knows them inside out...

i am attaching the pics which i took today.
till now engine is on the chassis,brand new clutch plate and pressure plate mounted, engine mountings reinforced,both differentials in place, disc brakes are installed

i am not sure about the rims..may take different ones

its been 3 days since work started ground up.will keep updating

any suggestions most welcome.experts please comment on advantages and drawbacks.

Hey, Welcome to the 4x4 world. Hope you enjoy your Jeep as much as we enjoy our Jeeps and Gypsys.

Wheels look nice, why not try for a 3 spoke wheel, would suit the 'Classic Look' better. just my view.

Keep posting the updates and the pics.

Cheers

Wow this is a ground up project. Good show, cant wait to see more updates, all the very best and keep posting.

Garrett,

Welcome to more "sleepless nights and day dreaming days".

Regarding your Scorpio PS steering proposal check this out.

Scorpio PS is Rack and Pinion type with its mounting on a cross member on the front end of the chassis. This will come exactly in the region of your front differential. Also, the length of PS gear from a scorpio is more so this will not be a direct fit. (kind courtesy, SPIKE ARRESTOR)

All the best.

Regards,

Arka mentioned Bolero ones right? They should be better fitment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1828492)
Arka mentioned Bolero ones right? They should be better fitment.

Yes, the Bolero should be a more easy and direct fit as Arka has stated.

as mentioned to you earlier over the phone,
the scorpio is a rack and pinion type,
i also told you about the bolero unit,
i have fitted that in arjuns dcm jeep.

Keep your car simple from out if your going for the old low bonet body,
dont make it loud, it will look too mayapuri
Also please check which gear box he is using, you never mentioned this to me

all the best, and continue posting pictures, all the jeep gurus aboard the forum can give you valuable inputs

@xtreme,fazalaliadil,jaggu-thanks,will sure talk to him about the ps,and not be a 'perfect fit' as in can we change it a little bit and make it fix or will the bolero ps be better?

i am going for a plain look just black ,no stickers,no ropes,nothing saying 'turbo' or 'power steering' lol:

@Desmosedici-thanks, but those 3 spoke rims are the ones everyone has and moreover i am putting a willys low bonnet body so i dont think it will be the 'classic look'. and ya sure will enjoy my car to the fullest.

Guys, he showed me some small hydraulic cylinders today saying he is trying to put 'or fit' a HYDRAULIC CLUTCH . experts please elaborate or explain.

Thats some interesting project...'truely ground up'. An SWB jeep with 31X11.5 tyres will be something really unique to spot. My personal sugegstion, these kind of set-up will look better in a Classic/CJ body tub than an MB. And a project like thise surely deserves better set of rims/alloys. All the best for your dream jeep project:thumbs up
-regards,

Quote:

-disc brakes from a post 2000 armada grand
Are these a direct fit on the 48" axle housing? Or was some mod needed?

Why are you re-enforcing the engine mount?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1829300)
Are these a direct fit on the 48" axle housing? Or was some mod needed?

Why are you re-enforcing the engine mount?

yes, the disc brakes are a direct fit, just that the original engine was a 2112cc engine and i have a 2528cc xdp3 which is more heavy,moreover the original mounts are only on 4 bolts,i am not going to make a jeep everyday so why take chances ?.

well ; precaution is better than cure !:)

Good project! Where are you getting it done?

I don't think the low bonnet will be able to house the XD3P. You will need to go for a high bonnet.

EDIT:

What dif ratio are you using? For 31" tyres you will need to go for 5.38 or you will loose power / torque during OTRs.

Great work Garrett!!!
I will be tracking this thread looks quite interesting.
I actually had the same thing in mind to change the engine and drive terrain on the SWB, but I wanted to plonk in a petrol engine maybe 1.3 gypsy or 1.8 isuzu with the gypsy drive terrain. But still looking for a SWB chassis

Anyways what axles are you using? As you are using the XD3P 2004 engine try to source the front and rear diffs of an MM550 too. With MM550 you will get LSD in the rear. I am not sure whether the bolero comes with an LSD in the rear.
Also gurus what are the standard diff in the bolero and the XD3P???
I think XD3P is 4.88 front & rear, I might me mistaken

Another thing comes to my mind. The firewall in the newer SWB jeeps (CJ3B's, 340's etc) were different than the earlier Left hands. As you know the firewall is not plain and straight and provision has to be made for the clutch and gearbox housing. So this provision in the newer jeeps had a bigger provision than the earlier ones. Please do check the same as if you buy or build the body first and then realise that the housing is not fitting, might cause delay in the project.
I will try to upload pictures today evening or tomorrow to explain my point of view.
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by harjeev (Post 1829798)

Harjeev you are right, Bolero XD3P comes with 4.88.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harjeev (Post 1829798)
Great work Garrett!!!
I will be tracking this thread looks quite interesting.
I actually had the same thing in mind to change the engine and drive terrain on the SWB, but I wanted to plonk in a petrol engine maybe 1.3 gypsy or 1.8 isuzu with the gypsy drive terrain. But still looking for a SWB chassis

Anyways what axles are you using? As you are using the XD3P 2004 engine try to source the front and rear diffs of an MM550 too. With MM550 you will get LSD in the rear. I am not sure whether the bolero comes with an LSD in the rear.

Another thing comes to my mind. The firewall in the newer SWB jeeps (CJ3B's, 340's etc) were different than the earlier Left hands. As you know the firewall is not plain and straight and provision has to be made for the clutch and gearbox housing. So this provision in the newer jeeps had a bigger provision than the earlier ones. Please do check the same as if you buy or build the body first and then realise that the housing is not fitting, might cause delay in the project.
I will try to upload pictures today evening or tomorrow to explain my point of view.
Cheers

hi Harjeev,
i am using the original Peugeot gearbox which comes with the classic, so i think the torque wont get affected as i have the same gearbox of the classic with a more powerful engine mated to it,moreover i am using the diffs which came with the classic/armada/commander/marshal/mm 540.are these diffs LSD's?

i dont know if it is a LSD or not ,please explain the point which @tejas said about loosing power of torque during otr's.

And about the tub not fitting i am sure it will as i have already seen ane jeep he has made( a similar one in army green) with a perfectly fitted body,looks killer with those mudzillas.