Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 04:59   #1
BHPian

Land Rover Discovery SD '96 - USA

Here is my 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD.

I'm temporarily here at Oregon, USA on work. I came here in Nov 2007, and in July 2008 bought this Discovery for 3400$ from a local used car dealer.

I kind of got attracted to this car standing at the dealer's lot and without much ado bought it. It had 94,000 miles on it then and its previous owner was in Colorado and Washington states.

In August 2008, the car suddenly showed troubles starting up, and on taking it to a local repair shop, it was found the fuel pump had to be replaced.
With the fuel pump, they also replaced the air mass meter and totally I got poor by some 2000$. That was a big bill and I did feel a little for having bought this monster, but today I have no regrets. There hasn't been any other issues except regular Jiffy Lube visits for oil changes, and once in 2009 when I had to change the front brake pads and rotors for 700$.

The odometer is at 113,500 miles now. I'm a bird photographer and a wildlife enthusiast, and took her to some unpaved wildlife refuges here in Oregon and she always showed her class.

I am not a car expert, nor a serious offroader, but I can say I am immensely enjoying this past-its-prime old beast, and every drive I feel I'm closer to her. All I can say is this is one car built with great passion by the white man for the outdoors, and its kin have wandered in the most desolate places of this beautiful earth, always serving their masters in the wildest terrains and storms with great vigor and sheer spirit for the great outdoors. Long they live. I will incredibly miss her when the day comes for me to sell her and return to my homeland India. She served me and my family very well in these last couple of years.

Here are some pictures I took of her yesterday to post here:

Old 12th April 2010, 09:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Verditer,

You are surely going to miss her when you will coming back here.

There is a bond that develops with somethings, be it cameras that have been with you through a lot of shootings or 4 wheels, that have taken you to many places as they are a part of so many memories and moments shared together.

Apart from the missing it, you will find it very hard to get yourself something as reliable and sturdy on outdoors... as your Land Rover.

'The RR of 4 wheel drives'

Regards,
Old 12th April 2010, 09:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle looks imaculate, Its difficult to get a 10 year old more than 1.5lac + km done vehicle in such a condition anywhere else in the world at that price. 3400$ is a lot on money in US but if you convert it to indian currency its just 1.5 lacs . For that money you will not even get a used gypsy. Man first of all you got a great deal and a totally drool for vehicle which has a legendry offroading history, more than 70% of people across the world have seen a LR as their first vehicle. I would take this vehicle with me when i go , keep it as long as you can.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks