Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

My 4x4: Should i take it along?

Hi guys,
Though i advise every one, its time for me to take advise specially from Mumbai guys!! I am planning to move to Mumbai next month. Was wondering if it is worth moving there with my TN registered jeep.

Need your inputs on-
1. How much of a problem is parking two vehicles in an apartment complex in Mumbai?
2. Do Mumbai cops stop and harass other state vehicles?
3. How far would be the nearest tried and tested garage considering that i might stay in Kandiveli East?
4. Are Mumbai roads jeep friendly? I mean traffic, pollution levels, parking woes?
5. I have a AP registered Wagon R which will be my primary drive. Jeep is strictly for OTR's.

In simple, is it worth bringing an other state vehicle all the way up to 1350 kms to Mumbai?

Just FYI, Perks of my new job include a company owned vehicle to drive off road. However I cant use them for weekend OTR's.

This dilemma is only because
1. I am too attached to my jeep
2. For the price i may sell it, I may not be able to get half as decent Jeep when i later want to pick up another one.

Your inputs will be useful for me to decide if i should sell my jeep or should bring it there.

With regards,

Vinod

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 13th April 2010 at 18:01.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Does your flat come with a parking spot? Most societies do not permit parking inside. I would make sure I sort out the parking first before anything else as it is a HUGE problem in this city.

2. No cops do not harass you unless you commit a traffic offense. If you are moving here long term it makes sense to get the vehicle transferred. If it is short term then just get fuel bills from chennai on a regular basis. Toll tickets that display the vehicle number also help. Reality is that as long as you have PUC, Insurance, License and Regn - cops don't bother you. Just make sure there is no sun-film on any of your vehicles because this is one point for which they will catch you.

3. Not sure...but most people go to Milestone Mahindra

4. It is not a big deal piloting a jeep around Mumbai. Keeps the rickshaws at bay. Parking is a problem for anyone so be prepared for 10 point turns getting in and out if you find a slot.

5. I would leave the Wagon R behind if your company is giving you a car here. Just make sure it is an AC car and you can keep the jeep as well. I honestly don't know how you will manage two cars. Like I said - parking can be an issue. There may be someone who can "house" the Jeep for you so you can take it on weekends but thats some networking you will need to do.

Don't sell the jeep but if it is looking too difficult then let me know because my dad in Chennai is looking for a nice one
Old 13th April 2010, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Just FYI, Perks of my new job include a company owned vehicle to drive off road. However I cant use them for weekend OTR's.

This dilemma is only because
1. I am too attached to my jeep
2. For the price i may sell it, I may not be able to get half as decent Jeep when i later want to pick up another one.

Vinod
Though not a Mumbai guy but will still add on. DONT SELL. Even if you can't bring it to Mumbai, get it shifted to your native place or let it remain in Chennai. You have enough Jeepers there who will take good care of it. You will realize its worth after you part with it. Just my humble opinion.

BTW company owned vehicle to drive offroad sounds interesting, can you help me too!

Spike
Old 13th April 2010, 18:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Cant you use the company gaadi for regular commute & keep the Jeep with you in BBY for OTR & other use ?
Old 13th April 2010, 19:15   #5
BHPian

Dont make the mistake of selling your jeep . i had done the same thing and regret it till this day.

You will find parking , make sure you pick up a good cover for your jeep.

Mumbai cops will bust you for out of mumbai plates but you dont have to worry since you will use your jeeps only for weekends just cary your original rc book with you and say your on a 2 months visit. For your wagon r no one with bother

There is a pretty good garage in borivili where my jeep is being done which is very close to where you will be put up.

A jeep is good fun on roads in Mumbai no one messes with you. But the heat can get to you at times

Get it trucked down to bombay should cost you arond 6k contact this #9833234142 in bombay you will get door to door service.

Welcome to BBay

Last edited by Dippy : 14th April 2010 at 11:22. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread. Thanks.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. How much of a problem is parking two vehicles in an apartment complex in Mumbai?
Parking is a pain when you have 2 vehicles. Now get it sorted out before you settle down here. Speak to the building committee and ask them whether its possible. You might just need to pay the extra parking charges in most cases which is very nominal.

2. Do Mumbai cops stop and harass other state vehicles?
Cops, if they dont have any work, they will be on the lookout. You can pay the yearly road tax and then it should not cause any issues.

3. How far would be the nearest tried and tested garage considering that i might stay in Kandiveli East?
Mahindra Factory is at Kandivili East, dont know much about their workshops.
You can Ask tejas. he would be able to help.

4. Are Mumbai roads jeep friendly? I mean traffic, pollution levels, parking woes?
Mumbai is hell my friend. Vehicle density and the size of the roads is inversely proportional. Traffic is heavy, Pollution levels are ok, parking is an issue.

5. I have a AP registered Wagon R which will be my primary drive. Jeep is strictly for OTR's.
Since you are getting a company car, ditch the WagR.

But all said and done, do not sell it man.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Desmosedici : 13th April 2010 at 19:34.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod,

Welcome! I echo again, don't sell the Jeep.

Question 1 is very vague. Are you buying the place in a new building, are you leasing etc? There are a lot of factors. However, you can always park on the road.

As long as you have a TN driving license, cops can't bother you. Say you are on a tour.

Stay away from Milestone. You must have read about my experiences. Try david's guy.

I find the pollution levels of bombay much less than chennai, so you're safe. A nano has problem in finding parking in some areas of bombay though.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Vinod,
Stick to your jeep, you will regret like I still do with my white.
Regards,
Old 13th April 2010, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
1. Does your flat come with a parking spot? Most societies do not permit parking inside. I would make sure I sort out the parking first before anything else as it is a HUGE problem in this city.

2. No cops do not harass you unless you commit a traffic offense. If you are moving here long term it makes sense to get the vehicle transferred. If it is short term then just get fuel bills from chennai on a regular basis. Toll tickets that display the vehicle number also help. Reality is that as long as you have PUC, Insurance, License and Regn - cops don't bother you. Just make sure there is no sun-film on any of your vehicles because this is one point for which they will catch you.

4. It is not a big deal piloting a jeep around Mumbai.

5. I would leave the Wagon R behind if your company is giving you a car here. Just make sure it is an AC car and you can keep the jeep as well. I honestly don't know how you will manage two cars. Like I said - parking can be an issue. There may be someone who can "house" the Jeep for you so you can take it on weekends but thats some networking you will need to do.

Don't sell the jeep but if it is looking too difficult then let me know because my dad in Chennai is looking for a nice one
Hey thanks for your views. Iam yet to look out for accomodation. Thinking of Thakur complex. I believe you get only one parking for a flat for rent. Parking for second vehicle is really worrying me. Presently in Chennai iam paying Rs500 rent for sheltered parking of another vehicle.How expensive is this in mumbai?

Is sunfilm a strict No? My Wagon R has one!Should i need to get it removed? No, i cannot leave Wagon R behind as company is not giving me a car. I can use company vehicle for company purpose only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Though not a Mumbai guy but will still add on. DONT SELL. Even if you can't bring it to Mumbai, get it shifted to your native place or let it remain in Chennai. You have enough Jeepers there who will take good care of it. You will realize its worth after you part with it. Just my humble opinion.

BTW company owned vehicle to drive offroad sounds interesting, can you help me too!

Spike

Hey spiky,
Dont you think when i have a company vehicle to off road then why own vehicle? I need to keep and maintain a second vehicle purely for weekend mumbai off road which is expensive.
You are right about MM540 being a legend, but practical problems are aplenty as people have said. Thats why this dilemma!

p.s- You can always tag along to see RWUP of vehicles, who can dare stoping you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Cant you use the company gaadi for regular commute & keep the Jeep with you in BBY for OTR & other use ?
No Condor the company vehicle is not for personal use. I need to keep Wagon R which is AP registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Dont make the mistake of selling your jeep . i had done the same thing and regret it till this day.

You will find parking , make sure you pick up a good cover for your jeep.

Mumbai cops will bust you for out of mumbai plates but you dont have to worry since you will use your jeeps only for weekends just cary your original rc book with you and say your on a 2 months visit. For your wagon r no one with bother

There is a pretty good garage in borivili where my jeep is being done which is very close to where you will be put up.

A jeep is good fun on roads in Mumbai no one messes with you. But the heat can get to you at times

Get it trucked down to bombay should cost you arond 6k contact this #9833234142 in bombay you will get door to door service.

Welcome to BBay
Hey David,
Thanks for your warm welcome!! Borivili garage is a relief!! I cannot afford to go to *** for a 20 year old jeep. As you said i will sort out parking issue first. Iam moving first in a PG and later after 4 months my family will follow me. I will look out for a accomodation then. Till then i will get the feel of mumbai based on you guys inputs!

Iam getting my papers updated whether or not iam keeping my jeep. I keep every thing current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Parking is a pain when you have 2 vehicles. Now get it sorted out before you settle down here. Speak to the building committee and ask them whether its possible. You might just need to pay the extra parking charges in most cases which is very nominal.

Cops, if they dont have any work, they will be on the lookout. You can pay the yearly road tax and then it should not cause any issues.

Mumbai is hell my friend. Vehicle density and the size of the roads is inversely proportional. Traffic is heavy, Pollution levels are ok, parking is an issue.

Since you are getting a company car, ditch the WagR.

But all said and done, do not sell it man.
Hope this helps
Desmosedici,
Thanks for your input. Yes i will sort out the parking issue first before taking decision to bring the jeep. No i dont get the company car for personal use. Hence Wagon R also has to come.

Since my jeep will be used only on weekends i hope to manage cops. Wagon R i believe no one will bother. All papers are intact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Dear Vinod,

Welcome! I echo again, don't sell the Jeep.

Question 1 is very vague. Are you buying the place in a new building, are you leasing etc? There are a lot of factors. However, you can always park on the road.

As long as you have a TN driving license, cops can't bother you. Say you are on a tour.

Stay away from Milestone. You must have read about my experiences. Try david's guy.

I find the pollution levels of bombay much less than chennai, so you're safe. A nano has problem in finding parking in some areas of bombay though.
Hey tejas,
As i have written earlier iam yet to find a place in mumbai. I will stay in PG for about 4 months later family will join. Iam looking to rent a flat around Kandiveli east. Thakur complex i heaard is good. Will visit there and will check the parking position there. Parking on road? Is mumbai safe? or thiefs arent bothered by slower jeeps?
All my papers are intact for both vehicles. So no worry! Strange thet you find chennai polluted, i thought it was better than cities like hyderabad. Anyway thats a good news!!

Now the question to you guys is would you still keep a jeep for you when your off roading requirements is taken care by the kind of work that you are paid for? You all have said no to selling my Jeep. But you all have agreed upon parking issue to be a severe problem. How do i bridge this gap?

May be guys like Behram sir can chip in. He has a 4wd to drive every day. Does he still feel the need of a Jeep at home?

The whole reason for this exercise is, i dont want to repent selling my jeep. It is a fine balance between practicality and passion. So guys pour in your views.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 13th April 2010 at 23:23.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:08   #10
BHPian

Vinod!

Did you forget I'm waiting for your jeep. Sell it to me man. You can buy it back later.

P.S I'm Serious.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai is one place where I have seen BMW SUVs parked in dirty looking streets. You'll be lucky to get one parking spot, let alone two. Try to find a benevolent friend in Mumbai outskirts who might provide parking for your Jeep. Don't even think of selling your Jeep.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:12   #12
BHPian

Hi Vinod,
I guess owning your own Jeep would give you the freedom to keep tinkering with it..

I recently (4-5 months ago) bought a Goa registered gypsy with a FFE, and not even a single cop has asked me to pull over - so cops will not be a problem. No need to bother about the tints either.

Where parking space is concerned, most apartments have 1 spot for parking in the compound - but they also have space to park right outside the buildings. In bandra I always see a black mahindra SWB parked and covered up, on the road, in one of the busier areas. No one seems to mind it being there. At the most, you might have to shift the car everyday from one side of the road, to the other, depending on the odd/even parking dates.

That said, I park my zen and my gypsy in my compound - and my compound is so small, that we need to park 4 cars one behind the other, and everytime someone wants to leave, they have to first remove the other flat ka cars, then remove their own car, and then put back the other flat ka cars! So if you are on good terms with your neighbours, problem solved!

Lastly, the heat is unbearable so you do need one car with an AC. You don't want to show up at weddings/office all grimy and sweaty!

If you need to find a place away from home, to park your jeep (in bombay), im sure we can help you out with that!

It'll be good to see you at our OTR's!
Old 14th April 2010, 07:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Vinod,
Stick to your jeep, you will regret like I still do with my white.
Regards,
Fazal sir,
My every effort will be to keep the jeep with me. I just wanted to know practical living in Mumbai. Later i shouldnt feel bad of bringing it all along and later back to chennai again for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Vinod!

Did you forget I'm waiting for your jeep. Sell it to me man. You can buy it back later.

P.S I'm Serious.
What if you dont sell it back to me later? Generally people learn from others mistakes, what if you learn from mine? :-P

On a serious note this exercise is to make up my mind. If my jeep will have to go it will go to a jeep lover like you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Mumbai is one place where I have seen BMW SUVs parked in dirty looking streets. You'll be lucky to get one parking spot, let alone two. Try to find a benevolent friend in Mumbai outskirts who might provide parking for your Jeep. Don't even think of selling your Jeep.
Not even a single guy till now has advised me to sell my jeep til now, but again everybody agrees parking would be an issue. My jeep is a open top and has plenty of rust. I would prefer keeping my wagon r under sun and rain but not jeep. It is painful seeing it getting rusted and not able to do much about it. Covers in my opinion do not work. It just gives a mental security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Hi Vinod,
I guess owning your own Jeep would give you the freedom to keep tinkering with it..

I recently (4-5 months ago) bought a Goa registered gypsy with a FFE, and not even a single cop has asked me to pull over - so cops will not be a problem. No need to bother about the tints either.

Where parking space is concerned, most apartments have 1 spot for parking in the compound - but they also have space to park right outside the buildings. In bandra I always see a black mahindra SWB parked and covered up, on the road, in one of the busier areas. No one seems to mind it being there. At the most, you might have to shift the car everyday from one side of the road, to the other, depending on the odd/even parking dates.

That said, I park my zen and my gypsy in my compound - and my compound is so small, that we need to park 4 cars one behind the other, and everytime someone wants to leave, they have to first remove the other flat ka cars, then remove their own car, and then put back the other flat ka cars! So if you are on good terms with your neighbours, problem solved!

Lastly, the heat is unbearable so you do need one car with an AC. You don't want to show up at weddings/office all grimy and sweaty!

If you need to find a place away from home, to park your jeep (in bombay), im sure we can help you out with that!

It'll be good to see you at our OTR's!
Hey Imran,
Thanks yaar!! As you said i need to first sort out the issue with the building association. Will do that when i move my family. Yes, the car remains with me for the sole fact that it has a/c and p/s for city run abouts! If nothing works then would need a place to park my jeep elsewhere.

Waiting to join you guys off road!!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 14th April 2010 at 07:29.
Old 14th April 2010, 07:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sunfilm - 70% transmission film is what the cops on the streets are ok with. Anything darker and they will have a reason to stop you. Just don't give them any reason to stop you:

1. Sunfilm
2. Speeding
3. Seat Belts
4. Loud Horn
5. Loud Exhaust

If they do stop you make sure you have the paperwork in hand.

DO NOT take NoC before you come if you are planning to stay less than 6 months. If you are planning to stay longer / permanent then get NOC and get the vehicle registered. Lots of guys around to help with this.

Parking can be found on outskirts so you can drive there in the company car, pickup the jeep and head out. I am sure some of our more esteemed members here can help you with this for a fee to cover cleaning and maybe the occasional running.
Old 14th April 2010, 07:40   #15
BHPian

I promise I will sell it back to you at the same price.

If not why don't you lease it to me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks