Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 10:53   #16
BANNED

nice modded gypsy !

i guess the imported koya PS is a direct fit for it or the samuarai's ps (abroad gypsy is called samurai right?)
Old 28th August 2010, 22:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
nice modded gypsy !

i guess the imported koya PS is a direct fit for it or the samuarai's ps (abroad gypsy is called samurai right?)
Yup,

The koyo is a direct fit from the Samurai/Jimmy
Old 29th August 2010, 14:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Yup,

The koyo is a direct fit from the Samurai/Jimmy
The Koyo P.S box is not a direct fit on Gypsy, if you do that you have the P.S box and the steering rod connected at an angle of about 20 degrees. Even if you use a universal joint instead of the existing the canvas joint it is not safe & reliable. Also you will not get a proper steering wheel return after taking the turns.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:29   #19
BANNED

Does this A/C mod result in overheating especially when driven in bumper to bumper traffic? What measures were taken to resolve the common overheating problem?

I am planning one too once the Gyspy is in my hands.

Regards
Old 4th October 2010, 00:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Does this A/C mod result in overheating especially when driven in bumper to bumper traffic? What measures were taken to resolve the common overheating problem?

I am planning one too once the Gyspy is in my hands.

Regards
Ragul,

Pls search for the relevant threads with regards to the overheating issues, there are quite a few on the forum.

On this particular vehicle there are no overheating issues .

Regards

Salman
Old 4th October 2010, 01:54   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Ragul,

Pls search for the relevant threads with regards to the overheating issues, there are quite a few on the forum.

On this particular vehicle there are no overheating issues .

Regards

Salman
Exactly my question. what was done differently to avoid overheating? Or is it plain fluke or luck that this one does not overheat?
Old 4th October 2010, 12:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ragul,

Please read the numerous threads on AC setup for a gypsy.

The most common setups being Sanden507 Compressor, Superking Blower routed to the existing vents (which would render the other vents useless) with the condensor fitted in front of the radiator with an auxillary fan which comes on when the AC is started. Many also have the fan connected to a switch which means that the fan can be operational even with AC Off.

The Condensor actually blocks the flow of air to the radiator and hence the need of an auxillary fan. The fan is also a very important part of the setup with the fins pointing in the correct angle to pull in more air. I read some had fitted a fan from a Mercedes Model and Abraham Tharakan from kerala (Tbhp handle - Tharakan9) had suggested using the fan from Tata Indica. That fan is made by a company called Behr.

Another option is to have a bigger radiator fitted which will or should eliminate the overheating issue.

One more option is to mount the condensor below the vehicle but this might cause issues while off roading.

If you read Deepak's (TBhp handle Starter) thread, you will see that Jaggu has listed out whats to be done.

Also read the gypsy threads by GSFerrari and KSM Vtec.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2010, 16:10   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Ragul,

Please read the numerous threads on AC setup for a gypsy.

The most common setups being Sanden507 Compressor, Superking Blower routed to the existing vents (which would render the other vents useless) with the condensor fitted in front of the radiator with an auxillary fan which comes on when the AC is started. Many also have the fan connected to a switch which means that the fan can be operational even with AC Off.

The Condensor actually blocks the flow of air to the radiator and hence the need of an auxillary fan. The fan is also a very important part of the setup with the fins pointing in the correct angle to pull in more air. I read some had fitted a fan from a Mercedes Model and Abraham Tharakan from kerala (Tbhp handle - Tharakan9) had suggested using the fan from Tata Indica. That fan is made by a company called Behr.

Another option is to have a bigger radiator fitted which will or should eliminate the overheating issue.

One more option is to mount the condensor below the vehicle but this might cause issues while off roading.

If you read Deepak's (TBhp handle Starter) thread, you will see that Jaggu has listed out whats to be done.

Also read the gypsy threads by GSFerrari and KSM Vtec.

Cheers,
Raj
Thanks Raj

I have already read all the posts on a/C mods and I am familiar with what you have pasted above. My question was directed specifically to this implementation in this thread. In other words I am looking if somebody has hit upon the right formula that is simple, straight forward and conclusive. Because everybody seems to have made a trial and error approach to fix the problem.

I will summarize my options when it is time to make the mod for my vehicle and seek further inputs if needed.

Thanks again.
Old 4th October 2010, 22:07   #24
BHPian

The car runs on the original mechanical fan and the condenser is mounted in front of the radiator.

The Gypsy was used as an official car in the Desert storm 2010 and during that event has seen extensive 4L modes in high RPM , without any overheating issues.

The only scenario of o/h faced with the vehicle is crawling in Delhi Traffic in low gears with the A/C on , however the increase is marginal and it promptly returns to normal if you switch of the compressor or get into a higher speed/gear.

Regards
Old 5th October 2010, 10:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Can you post some close up shots of the ac grill and aux fax installation, that would really help others?
Old 16th October 2010, 13:33   #26
BANNED

I am now certain the BS IV Gypsy will come with a K12M engine - the same one used in the Swift. How does this change the A/C options? Can we now transplant the same A/C as used in the Swift easily without encountering problems?

Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:54   #27
BHPian

Where was this work done? I want to buy a new gypsy and am very keen to have it fitted out with power steering and a/c. I have seen lots of discussion about the power sterring but nothing veru confidence inspiring on what parts fit, which are best, what mods are required, who has expertise, etc
Old 2nd December 2010, 21:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Where was this work done? I want to buy a new gypsy and am very keen to have it fitted out with power steering and a/c. I have seen lots of discussion about the power sterring but nothing veru confidence inspiring on what parts fit, which are best, what mods are required, who has expertise, etc
The owner has done the work himself in his house. All mods on this car have been carried out by him personally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks