Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:29   #1
BANNED

My Landrover & MM540 4x4

Hi I would like to know Jeepers & Land Rover owners In & around Pune.
I love 4x4 driving,go outdoors, but in want of company.
I own a series landy & I happen to use my dads mm540 4x4( I have learned most of the 4x4 & maintenance things on this ) I am using the Land Rovers for past 11 years(this is the third one) & the jeep for 20 , I do all the maintenance myself.
sending some pictures. Yours Sudarshan
Attached Thumbnails
My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0007.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0001.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0003.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0006.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0009.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2010, 23:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi Sudarshan
good collection of vehicle.
  • do you have any recent pictures of them ?(also in some offroad action)
  • do you had any problems while offroading due both of them being long wheel base versions ?
  • why is there a tow hook in front bumper of jeep?
i also got a 1993 mm 750dp but 4x2 .
there are many punekars on t-bhp who are in to offroading.
& best of luck for future offroading

regards
Nikhil
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:30   #3
BHPian

Hi Sudarshan you are most welcome to join us, i have sent you my no.We will meet up some time.
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:08   #4
BHPian

Hello Sudarshan.
Nice Landy you got there (is it Series I -110" WB)
Also it seems that the 540 is converted to 4doors. Some latest pics of the Both pls..

So which one is your fav.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:08   #5
BANNED

More Info

Well here is some more information & answers
1) the hook on front bumper is used for recovery (other vehicle as well as the jeep), its useful in fixed towing (a strong pipe between two vehicles). it becomes easy when brakes of the towed vehicle are non operational.
2) As far as long wheelbase is concerned, the jeep Had problames. But the Land Rover goes easily. It has a well thought ground clearence.
3) yes the jeep is modified to 5 door by Mahindras only .Its a pre Commander/Armada era 1989 vehicle.That time it was probably first long wheel base attempt (Under Company Stamp ) by Mahindras.But sad to say It failed miserebly, body quality is Poor .They cut & streched the chassis of a 540 by 9"to facilitate four side doors,Poor engineering.
So not many are on roads right now. (I can explain how mahindras sold Garbage in that era, I can show it if required, because the vehicle is still in original state including paint)
4) thease are recent pictures, those are hard coppies & scaned to fit in the required MB limit to upload, so the Quality is poor.
Thank you for your replies, I am planning to give details of my jeeps maintenance woes (ref. Mahindras sold Garbage). I know that the moderators will object the word (may be). But I have substantial material to proove that.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:02   #6
BHPian

Nice vehicles. Both the 4X4 's look in good shape. specially the Landy.
See this link for any information on the Pune off-roading activities.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...scussions.html
Old 27th April 2010, 17:51   #7
BANNED

New info.

Well originally this thread was titeled , oh I dont remember correctly (the mods changed its name), but I was looking for jeepers in & around Pune.
Any way I found few & hope to find others too.
Now something un answered & untold
1) I have to admit that I dont have much 4x4 experiance though I broke the Jeep's Chassis once ( only once),& had her bogged down in mud (up to foot rests) a few times.
That is why I started looking for a more sturdier vehicle with more capabilities & found the Land Rover.
2) When I got stuck in middle of nowhere(quite a few times) & had to rescue myself , then I started looking for a winch. I got one & fitted it on my Landy. Frankly havent used it once since as the landy is much easier to recover than the jeep (so waste of money, I would have fitted it on the jeep only, now I will have to make a new bracket )
3) Again forgot to tell you, I have broken both the rear axcles of the Jeep (once each only) ,another excuse to get a Land Rover .Later I converted them to the' full floating' once.
4) And I dont forget the pain in the Neck, yes after long drives in the 540, It provides a good excuse to go to the massagists, but I avoided it & simply got a Land Rover.A costly but a long term solution (excuse # 4 to get a Landy)
And lastly dont call my Landy a 'a nice 110' .Its a series 2a LWB 109, I am a 'series' owner.
Thanks send you some more when I will remember.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:52   #8
BANNED

Project Winch

Hi All, I try to do most of the work myself (ex. lathe work ) but lacked in documentation, but here I recorded everything.
Here I am giving some info & pictures about fitting a Warn winch to a Land Rover
Step 1 ) Usual measurements
2) collecting raw material ( 6 mm thick plates etc. )
3) Making a model out of thermocole ( same 6 mm thickness)
4) cutting & weilding
5) paint
6) fitting on a vehicle
This winch's weight is 51 Kg. ( with rope )
the winch bracket took total of 22 weilding rods ( 8 gauge), its weight is 24 Kg.s .It took almost 30 hrs. to complete ( 1 man show)
Adding some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0002.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0003.jpg  

My Landrover & MM540 4x4-scan0006.jpg  

Old 21st June 2010, 00:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sudharsan! Thanks for sharing.

Its a series IIa 109". Its presumably 65-66 model.

Its a beauty in its own right. WHats the motor in this one.

Its glad to know you do your own repair. I must say its a must if you want to live with such vehicle. Do you have all the manuals?
I have lot of LR resources, ask me if you need any.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:08   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Hello Sudharsan! Thanks for sharing.

Its a series IIa 109". Its presumably 65-66 model.

Its a beauty in its own right. WHats the motor in this one.

Its glad to know you do your own repair. I must say its a must if you want to live with such vehicle. Do you have all the manuals?
I have lot of LR resources, ask me if you need any.
Hi SIR, You are correct, It has an original 2.25 Diesel.
I have seen your Lightweight's photos & frankly I Envy you
Sir. have you gone through the' Land Rover support group' (you must have been) so any Sugestions? Please? Any thing from a person like you is valuable .
I have few manuals like the Green Bible, Haynes manuals , a Simon Newetts book on Four Wheel Driving etc. etc.
Thanks yours Sudarshan Vaidya
P.S. My 1st Landy (owned in 1999- 2001) is with a Calcutta guy named Niel Law , is in the Kaziranga now .
Old 21st June 2010, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its already in a very good shape and very well kept. i must praise you for these, as there are very few who does that.
i remember seeing one Series 1 in very bad shape but is a regular in vintage rallys. These machines have a very good history behind it. It deserves to be pampered

Personally i hate diesel engines. This particular model also came with a much sought after 2.6 liter petrol L6, very rare though.

Any recent images? please share along with interior pix.

Thanks

Last edited by SirAlec : 21st June 2010 at 15:46.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:33   #12
BANNED

Re: My Landrover & MM540 4x4

Dear All Friends ; I had been thinking a lot for a few days to use this thread as

1) a log for Land Rover & Jeeps work in progress. ( future plans & thinking aloud )

2) To share information about problems ( in maintenance, running ,en route failures etc. ) I encountered in 4x4s & the solutions I found in the past ,not necessarily current.

3) to share repair tricks I learned from different people & DIY jobs

4) share info on projects ( as practical solutions ) on Landy & Jeep ,including past , future & current

I had shared information on various threads & that is scattered . The idea is, I will be putting the info as a post here & will be providing a link on the concerned thread . I have not documented any thing of my past projects or the DIY jobs/solutions , never thought of it then . I did not have a camera it came much later . But I remember everything & I will put it here as and when required/ remembered

For example , yesterday I commented on Jeepsters armada thread regarding a problem of oblong holes & its cure . I posted a drawing which actually has a wide use for everyone ( IMHO )

Now on I will post such suggestion/drawing/chart etc here & provide a link on that thread ,so there will be a wider sharing & the information I provide/share will be stored in one place so any one can open this thread & find a solution If available . this will be done viceversa also I will provide a link here to look for my other projects elsewhere on this forum .

I am Awaiting your response , suggestions etc

Sudarshan
Old 29th March 2011, 10:04   #13
BANNED

This is an example ( refering above ), I have created a cargo hold net & a cover ( on gb tunnel ) , now this info is on the Land Rover support Group , but I want to share this with the 4x4 people here ( otherwise it can be missed out )

so this is the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1978555

hope this will make easy & I will avoid multiple posting ( of pics etc ) for the same thing

Sudarshan
Old 29th March 2011, 10:31   #14
BHPian

Hi Sudarshan, I really appreciate the way you maintain your steed. I have passed through your lane many times and admired it, never thought I would see the owner here, on TBHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
P.S. My 1st Landy (owned in 1999- 2001) is with a Calcutta guy named Niel Law , is in the Kaziranga now .
Hey is this the Neil Law who runs the Himalayan Footprints travel co.? I had booked my sikkim tour through him.. Darjeeling is the place to see the LR's..!

Last edited by cyclops : 29th March 2011 at 10:32.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:10   #15
BANNED

^^^ you are right , the same guy . its a small world .

Sudarshan

Most Viewed