Team-BHP - 1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/80478-1998-pajero-worth-buying.html)

I have come across a 1998 SWB Pajero ( 2500cc) and the owner is quoting 5.75 lakhs for it. He is the fifth owner of the car and the car has done about 90,000 kms. The car is in a ok condition. I have only seen the pics. He says that comprehensive insurance is not possible and only third party insurance is active.

Is this car worth buying ? What is the availability of spares ? How much should i pay for the car ?

Looks good from the pics. Take a test drive & decide after negotiation.
Check under body for chassis damage & any major signs of rusting/ repair works.
(They are Hard to find so for 4-5 lakhs range looks like a good buy)

Else, If possible, wait for Mahindra Thar.

No, the demand is too much for a 12 year old Pajero. Try to convince him down to 3L or even down. Becausein 5L price tag you can easily buy a Safari 4x4 2007-2008 model and less clocked + modern day features.:)

The Pajero is obsolete. Besides, this one is a 98 example. You will most likely be saddled with the burden of maintaining this vehicle or resell it for a pittance, IF you find a buyer.
I wouldnt pay even 2.5 lakhs. It looks OLD too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1860485)
The Pajero is obsolete. Besides, this one is a 98 example. You will most likely be saddled with the burden of maintaining this vehicle or resell it for a pittance, IF you find a buyer.
I wouldnt pay even 2.5 lakhs. It looks OLD too.

Besides the leather seat covers look hopeless:D
The owner really had a bad taste of colour:uncontrol

Stay away from it. Like someone said, its too old and it has already changed 5 hands. 5L is a joke!! I wouldn't pay anything above 2.75 for it.

The Thar seems about right for your requirements, since you dont seem to mind spending some reasonable money - IF it is released in India !

Whatever the person is asking is too much, this Paj is normally repaired at a garage lane(which is infamous for unreliable/jugad jobs) few blocks away from where you saw the vehicle.It belongs to the fountain shop guy,been spotting this vehicle for couple of years.Even he is having it for not more than 2 years i think, better if you go towards the Arya Samaj road you can find better deal with other 4x4 vehicles, even some dealers there, have gypsies for sale...

Hi,
Not many 3 door Pajero's came into India, hence they are very hard to find and also please keep in mind it's a 2.5L engine as compared to 2.8L engine that comes in the 5 door version, it's underpowered.
I personally feel the price quoted is way too much, its worth around Rs 2.5L to a Max of Rs 3.00L.

rgds
-Sathya

Hi,

This is a 12 year old vechile. Came from 5 different owner.
ODO is 90 K.

Best is stay away from that car.
if you want to buy it then 2.5 lac is the max rate for that car.
Keep some cash in your hand to future upgrade / repair purpose.
I read somewhere in this thread that these old gen SUV parts are very very rare and costly.

5L for a 1998 SWB Pajero is a loot.

I own a 1984 SWB Pajero and use it for offroading. Its a wonderful car and performs well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...swb-suv-3.html

My experience is that its easy to source mechanical parts but finding plastic and rubber fittings is very difficult so check if things are in place.

Try and PM me the VIN number and I can find out details about this vehical.

With my experience with a GEN 01 SWB Pajero I would pay 2.5 to 2.75 max for this depending on a few basic checks.

5.75 Lakhs for this Pajero is too high.The realistic price would be 2.5-3.0 Lacs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1860463)
No, the demand is too much for a 12 year old Pajero. Try to convince him down to 3L or even down. Becausein 5L price tag you can easily buy a Safari 4x4 2007-2008 model and less clocked + modern day features.:)

a Little offtopic, but WHERE?

@alpha: I actually tried to search for one on Carwale.com but a 4X2 2007-2008 model Safari is available between a range of 5.2 to 8.5

There was one 1996 Pajero available for 2.8 but when I checked the pictures I freaked out. You guys need to see this.
Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale.com

Out of curiosity, what would be last generation(most recent year) SWB one can find with lower miles, in India.