Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Land Rover Discovery 4X4 2.5 TDi ( 1995) - Should i go ahead and buy ?

Dear Friends, I have come across a used Land Rover Discovery 4X4 2.5 TDi ( 1995 ) with the ODO showing 60,000 kms and being sold by its second owner.

The asking price is 600,000 rupees.

Need your answers to the following questions ?

Cost of maintaining this car
Availability of spares
Where to get this car serviced
Any major issues with this model
How much should i pay for this car
Old 4th May 2010, 21:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kamal post some pics is it auto? I am looking for a diesel auto landy/RR of a similar vinatge.

My 2 bits:

Cost of maintaining is not bad at all but all this depends on current condition. Make sure that she is not abused I suspect she may be ex embassy if so they lookafter well but 2nd owner?

Spares are available but one needs to order them (not of the shelf), mechanically these cars are robust (engine/gearbox/transmission) but electrical's, trim, interior bits can be a hassle if the said piece was bad from factory or abused = again you pretty much get everything on order. Electrical = LR products at times have a mind of their own but in disco's this was sorted = nothing a good smart local electrical guy can't fix permanently. We can only comment on price once we get an idea of the condition and work needed to bring her to showroom as price quoted it typical/std quote level. Normally pics help. Do let me know if you come across any diesel auto LR's if you are not interested perhaps I could try my luck cheers
Old 4th May 2010, 21:56   #3
BHPian

Here is the pic. I have not seen the car myself yet but planning to go and test drive the car tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery 4X4 2.5 TDi ( 1995) - Should i go ahead and buy ?-hpim5530.jpg  

Old 4th May 2010, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Hey Kamal, is the discovery this one?

Source : Find Buy/Sell Second hand cars, Pre owned cars, Buy cars, Sell cars, Find a car, Sell a car Portal, Car Magazines

Just saw that you have posted the same pic too

Last edited by pankaj_sachdeva : 4th May 2010 at 22:02.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kamal she seems either over coated or something a miss as the Land rover lettering seem like a local number plate wallah job. Also the black lower wastline paint is not original she seems to be a typical strip down embassy car a lot of the stuff in these are missing/complete economy version not a very bad thing as less complications, those wheels to are typical of econo models. On second thought bonnet looks repainted so perhaps she has had a small dent or frontal hit only physical inspection would tell. Get the mileage verified by a good independent mech as I suspect 60k may not be the real story. Short of the long not bad worth a look but get her completely checked out before making any offers she is certianly not worth 6. Now based on your mechs evaluation cost of work needed will decide the price. If you share the same we could actually attempt at giving you a close enough worth/value

On 2nd look at the pic the entire matblack cladding under headlight is not standard and misaligned could be a case of shoddy frontal impact repair or some plastic over cladding which i cant seem to find a single pic of = mostly what i said shoddy repair if so check for chassis damage

Last edited by canonball : 4th May 2010 at 22:23.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

As pointed out by Canonbal, something looks amiss on the discovery from the pic that you have posted. It surely needs a good checkup from a reliable garage.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
As pointed out by Canonbal, something looks amiss on the discovery from the pic that you have posted. It surely needs a good checkup from a reliable garage.
Something seems to be wrong with the front grill and headlight assembly. They do not look original to my eyes. I may be wrong though but my instinct says that this Landy would have had a frontal collision hence the difference.

The Cladding running along the foot board isn't original and looks like a local job. Please get the car inspected thoroughly by someone who knows this breed. If you are based in Mumbai, get in touch with Allan (Xtreme power on TBHP) He is quite well versed with LRs and can help you.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:11   #8
BHPian

Attaching the picture of a LR discovery which i found on the internet. Even i feel that something is different in the one i am talking about.

I was not able to go today to see the car but now i am more curious to check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery 4X4 2.5 TDi ( 1995) - Should i go ahead and buy ?-as96659.02.jpg  

Old 5th May 2010, 23:00   #9
BHPian

This time i found the right match in the 'Discovery series I' as shown on wiki.

Land Rover Discovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Discovery 4X4 2.5 TDi ( 1995) - Should i go ahead and buy ?-800pxland_rover_discovery_series_i.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 12:34   #10
BANNED

I have seen two threads from you. One is this one and the other for a Pajero SWB. Are you looking for a pure import with known 4x4 capabilities to go offroading (mild) or is this for city/general use and want to own one of these aspirational machines.

For the prices and condition you are coming across I think you need to do some homework and research on what models you should target and and what cost and condition.

Scanning online sales ads and posting them on here to check whether its a good buy or not without first getting your priorities right will not help you get a good deal.

Get your priorities for the vehicle you are lookig for, line up your budget and then enter the market. I am sure you will get the right vehicle for the right price.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have seen two threads from you. One is this one and the other for a Pajero SWB. Are you looking for a pure import with known 4x4 capabilities to go offroading (mild) or is this for city/general use and want to own one of these aspirational machines.

For the prices and condition you are coming across I think you need to do some homework and research on what models you should target and and what cost and condition.

Scanning online sales ads and posting them on here to check whether its a good buy or not without first getting your priorities right will not help you get a good deal.

Get your priorities for the vehicle you are lookig for, line up your budget and then enter the market. I am sure you will get the right vehicle for the right price.

While I like your confidence in the fact that there is a right vehicle out there for everyone which they are seeking to buy, sadly this is not the case for us (as Indians) as good vehicles are not easy to come by.

I have been looking for a good 4X4 for over a year now and haven't really found anything. Whichever way you look at it , as Indian enthusiasts we are deprived of the best that the world has to offer in terms of off roaders and whatever we can get comes at obscene prices. Import restrictions on old vehicles and the high duty makes it impossible to even begin to think about getting a good 4x4 platform and modding it to your needs. For Gods sake, even Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have better off roaders then we do and pretty vibrant clubs while we have to do with defunct Mahindras and Gypsies.

Its pretty much a case of what we can get our hands on, learn to live with it and seek a point of differentiation from the next guy who has the same vehicle probably another shade of grey.

Just my $0.02
Old 6th May 2010, 15:23   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
sadly this is not the case for us (as Indians) as good vehicles are not easy to come by.
India has the right vehicles that will work best given its infrastructure and usage needs of the public here.

Try getting a high performance machine and run it with the pump fuel we get here. Yes I know there are Ferraris and Lambos in India but then thats not the point.

Quote:
I have been looking for a good 4X4 for over a year now and haven't really found anything.
A "good" 4x4 is a different for each person. Look in this section and see the varieties.

A Gypsy with a 1.6 engine is good for someone whereas a 60 odd bhp Mahindra does it for the other.

Taking my example I am happy with a 1960's tech (Mahindra Classic) to take me offroading. I aspire for a Jeep Wrangler but in India its not available. Even if there is one I will surely not put my money there knowing the scene here with maintenance and spares.

Quote:
Whichever way you look at it , as Indian enthusiasts we are deprived of the best that the world has to offer in terms of off roaders
I agree, but it hasnt stopped us having the same amount of fun the rest of the world has with "better" machinery.

Quote:
For Gods sake, even Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka
Other then Sri Lanka, I dont think any of the other two nations have a thriving automobile industry. So the need to have a lesser restrictions on imports.

I am not for the protective regime here. But there are some good things happening. Recently I heard custom and duties are going to be reduced.

Quote:
defunct Mahindras and Gypsies.
Make the best of what you have. I believe in that. Check out some of the rides in this section.

Quote:
Its pretty much a case of what we can get our hands on, learn to live with it and seek a point of differentiation from the next guy who has the same vehicle probably another shade of grey.
Like I said above make the best of what you have and enjoy yourself instead of sitting put and cringing and cribbing about what could have been.

PS: We are majorly going OT here. Apologies to the OP.

Last edited by Spitfire : 6th May 2010 at 15:28.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2010, 19:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Here is the pic. I have not seen the car myself yet but planning to go and test drive the car tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Attaching the picture of a LR discovery which i found on the internet. Even i feel that something is different in the one i am talking about.

I was not able to go today to see the car but now i am more curious to check it out.
The differences as can be observed from the pics are
1. The front guard (Hate these on ANY car/suv)
2. Side steps (or whatever they are called)
3. Roof rails (Missing)
4. Lower half of the car painted black.
5. Cheap steel wheels
6. Land rover written on the lip of the hood.

The car is in a very DESI avatar right now, changing/rectifying all the above can bring the car back to a more presentable condition.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Asking price is way too high for a 95 model. I would not pay more than 1lakh for it. There are too many better alternatives if you want to spend 600,000 on a second hand SUV.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Asking price is way too high for a 95 model. I would not pay more than 1lakh for it. There are too many better alternatives if you want to spend 600,000 on a second hand SUV.
Well, the price also depends on whether the internals are close to stock or DESIFIED like the exterior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks