Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 14:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Lieutenant- Being worked at NOW.

Hey folks, just thought I'd add an update on the newest development...

'Lieutenant' has been dropped off at the workshop a couple of hours back. The work that will be performed;
1. Bumper protector - Cut and reshape to original chassis bumper shape. Hope that takes care of all the complaints regarding my extended bumper affecting the approach angle plus obstruction to the tyre incase of any rock climbs.
2. 5mm metal plate running horizontal behind the bumper which will house a winch soon
3. Painting the dash board black with a thoroughup clean up of the meters etc
4. Re routing to the highest available point and providing additional support to the exhaust to ensure robustness during OTRs.
5. Painting the chrome inserts around the headlamp black, corrosion protection.
6. Change of damaged centre crossmember.
* Few other little thingies...

Should be able to take the Jeep back by evening tomorrow.The whole thing should get done under 3k if my guesses are right.

@ Red Liner: Man that was hillarious!!! BTW, I was thinking you were referring to the weld that exists on the right side of the chassis, right next to the wheel. I had noticed it within the first 10mins of my level one survey prior to the purchase. It looks like the chassis is welded through the cross section, either it was severed or had a decent bend or crack in my opinion. But the weld looks clean as the deformation doesnt seem to run off the parallel for more than an inch so it should hold good. Otherwise I will take your scotch tape and fix it permanently

Last edited by The Wolf : 31st May 2010 at 14:32.
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Got all of the below done for 2.5k, the exhaust is left for a later day as the tinker guy had some other stuff to take care of...

Concentrating on getting the tyre setup and slide plate to protect the cross member and ofcos the diff. So it is the below now;
1. Exhaust re-routing
2. Slide plate
3. Tyre-steel rim setup

This is taking way longer than I thought...little things have taken the whole friggin day, GODD!!!
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:28   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Got all of the below done for 2.5k, the exhaust is left for a later day as the tinker guy had some other stuff to take care of...

Concentrating on getting the tyre setup and slide plate to protect the cross member and ofcos the diff. So it is the below now;
1. Exhaust re-routing
2. Slide plate
3. Tyre-steel rim setup

This is taking way longer than I thought...little things have taken the whole friggin day, GODD!!!
Welcome Sir....to the life of a JEEPER! Some more time, and you will mellow down nicely like Amul butter
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:40   #64
Team-BHP Support

Looks you found a dedicated mechanic for your Jeep, while others are trying to teach Raju how to multitask, multithread, parallel process or become ambidextrous.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Welcome Sir....to the life of a JEEPER! Some more time, and you will mellow down nicely like Amul butter
LOL, I know its the curning curve- its always ascends-plateaus-decends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks you found a dedicated mechanic for your Jeep, while others are trying to teach Raju how to multitask, multithread, parallel process or become ambidextrous.
I am glad I took a detour, but can very surely say that the mech I have found is no genius, he seems to be way too much about himself. When asked to do a certain thing a certain way he was quick to tell me that he has been working since 28 years etc. Just told him to shave the trim and get to business after which he got a little too silent for his looks

But, he understands everything from skidplate to snorkel...so if one knows how to get the work done, this guy can come handy. He just needs a bit of motivation through flattery I guess...
Old 10th June 2010, 21:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Got my silencer

After scouting all over JC road finally I found the silencer assembly (3 pipes and a muffler), the clamps, nuts, bolts, rubber bushes, allen bolts, U clamps etc etc.

The problem didnt end there I took the complete assembly and went to all garages possible in and around Sahakar Nagar, either everyone was busy and I was being asked to come tomorrow, day after, day day after so and so forth or they just dont like woking on Mahindras and tried their best to avoid me. Finally I was recommeded to one Mr Prabhakar from Mahadeshwar Garage, I went, met him and he said he will finish the work in 2 hours. The work started at around 3pm yesterday, after 2 hours when I saw that the work had sompletely stopped for some reason I was told that there was no exhaust pipe collar (the piece that is bolted to the exhaist manifold) was missing, well I said "us the one that was on the older pipe. The welding guy sternly says that cannot be reused as it is welded to the pipe and cutting/removing is too much waste of time for him and he had so much work pending. I was like, "WASTE OF TIME"?????? I said what do you want me to do then?? He says "go to JC road and get one", I went berserk in my head at that statement. I took the pipe, took it to Yeswantpur from Saharak nagar and got it cut, then went to a lathe shop and got it regrooved and mended. I go back to the garage give it to him. He garage guys were all huddling inside a store room at that time as it had started to rain and the garage doesnt have a patch of damn roof that doesnt drip irrigate spontaneously.

At that moment I had lost it, it was 6.30pm. I said, I will return tomorrow by 12pm and when I come I want it ready. The owners younger bro called Shashi (behaves like a steriodal monkey) says "WOKAY SIRR, T WILL BE READY, COME AT 12"!!! I called my driver, got picked up, went home hot in my head, ate fish curry and rice and slept.

Got up, had some work to take care of till 1.30pm, reached the garage it around 2pm. The Jeep stood in the exact same state as it was the previous day. The garage owner and his bro and everyone else were doing their work and ignored me as if I was invisible. I walk up to the steroidal monkey and asked him "whats going on???", he says "sir we need 2 more U clamps to finish". I said "you havent even started", he says "saarr its 20mins work once the U clamps arrive". I said "I will NOT GO TO JC ROAD NOW, I WANT IT DONE IN WHATEVER I HAVE BROUGHT AND WHAT YOU CAN ARRANGE OR SCAVANGE from the other vehicles around". He says "saar, the fitting wont come proper", I said "its ok, go ahead, I want this done". When the monkey went under the ramp to assess the situation on where and how to give additional supports to the new pipes, at that very moment the welder guys disappears and returns only 2 hours later. By that time I was pulling my hair outa my scalp but kept quiet as I had to get the work done and if I behave aggro it would only get worse as I would get further stranded due to my missing existing silencer and not completed new one. I stay calm and cooperative. The welder guy returns after 2 hours, then the struggle starts. The pipes werent straight fit and required some bending and some technical adjustments. Some neighbourhood guys had gathered by then and everyone was throwing fresh suggestions on how to get the right fit. Unfortunately no one looked literate or even with basic common sense, soon they realized that as none of their plans could be executed successfully by our dear old Steroidal monkey.

The struggle continues till 5pm, I stepped in at that time (they let me in too as they were losing it with each passing second)realizing nothing will ever happen without my personal intervention, as per my suggestions the pipes were reshaped and the support clamps, the material, rubber fitment was finalized and by 6 the work was done. The final work is only half as satisfying to me but I just didnt have any choice but to say "OK" to everything they say and get my Jeep outta that hell in one piece.

I returned home by 6.30pm, sat down thinking what crap I had put myself on 2 week days and if there is a solution to bullcrapp like this at all. Still, took the Jeep for a test drive, around 15kms, so far so good, nothing seems to be vibrating or making unnecessary noises. I will stay quiet for now...

One question I pose to myself, there are a million software engineers, zillion Govt employees, quadrillian business men............WHERE THE HELL ARE GOOD MECHANICS????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this rate, on the basis of demand and supply mechanism I would believe that the mechanics would be the most paid people in India from any damn moment.

Whats going on here????!!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is not appropriate for use on Team-BHP. We request you to adhere to a decent communication protocol and avoid the use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics. Our varied audience appreciates a "clean" community.

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 10th June 2010 at 22:12. Reason: Post edited. See note.
The Wolf is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th June 2010, 21:43   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Whats going on here????!!!!
You should sell this Jeep once the THAR is launched.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

That was some vivid account i must say, sounds hilarious at some point of time for someone reading this, but i can well understand what y'r situation was! This is a part of the "Jeep thing" legacy i guess! Still you can consider y'rself lucky that the jeep was not in a dilapidated condition needing a 'ground-up' restoration. Just imagine what could 've been the condition then! But barring a lucky few almost every jeep owner undergoes the same kind of experience, one reason why the gypsy is a more practical choice.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:35   #69
Team-BHP Support

Wolf, Jeep ownership needs lot of patience. You can't keep blowing up at every Jeep mechanic, soon you will be left with none. You will never stop working on Jeep until you sell it, so you can't afford to get so worked up in the initial days itself.

My Jeep went to the garage for rebuild in the last week of Feb. It is still there... and I am still keeping my sanity. It's a Jeep thing.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:02   #70
BHPian

Agree with Samurai. I am restoring a 1986 CJ500D, and its being worked upon for over 3 months, still I manage to keep my cool when I meet the garrage mechanic. If you have a guy who knows his job, its better to be patient with him.

Also, the biggest learning for me in owning a jeep was to have limitless patience.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Dear The Wolf,

As suggested by other members, patience is the key for a Jeeper.

I drive a 1942 GPW and have build it right from the scratch.I use this vehicle to commute everyday.Luckily i have a dear friend of mine who has helped me to the core in getting this vehicle on road.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 11th June 2010 at 17:51. Reason: Comments
Old 11th June 2010, 23:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

You should really try Raju once. I got 2 major works done by him, tho he is always pre-occupied, he never delays a job like above. He would rather not take a jeep from your hands in case he feels he is busy. He denied taking my jeep for 2 weeks flat - finally he accepted to take my jeep in. That way, he is sincere at least!! Once in - he is bound to get it back on the road ASAP - he has other customers waiting and he is all what Sharat said above
Old 12th June 2010, 12:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wolf, Jeep ownership needs lot of patience. You can't keep blowing up at every Jeep mechanic, soon you will be left with none. You will never stop working on Jeep until you sell it, so you can't afford to get so worked up in the initial days itself.

My Jeep went to the garage for rebuild in the last week of Feb. It is still there... and I am still keeping my sanity. It's a Jeep thing.
Sharath, you seem to have missed the whole point here... Its not about the wait time, I have waited for 2 and 1/2 months odd couple of times while getting my car done (primarily race set up). Waiting for a genuine reason or cause is not my botheration at all one wee bit. What bothers me is when the garage guys are loitering around doing nothing when I am waiting there with everything in my hand that just needs to be either straightaway bolted on or something that may require miniscule mending/bending. If there is availability issue of a particular part or component I ought to wait and I will but am I suppose to wait in instances where things are compromized due to lack of interest or competence once the job is taken up?

I didnt go to this guy to get my Jeep modded, I just went there to fit the exhaust which I picked up a M&M dealer. It was only FITTING job and yes it was done in 1 hour once they thought they had to do it.

These bloaks are either lethargic, disinterested in Jeeps, pissed coz the parts were bought by me (they normally make money on parts procurement) or just make sure they dont finish the job quickly coz then it will look easy and there they lose their chance of charging a premium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
You should really try Raju once. I got 2 major works done by him, tho he is always pre-occupied, he never delays a job like above. He would rather not take a jeep from your hands in case he feels he is busy. He denied taking my jeep for 2 weeks flat - finally he accepted to take my jeep in. That way, he is sincere at least!! Once in - he is bound to get it back on the road ASAP - he has other customers waiting and he is all what Sharat said above
I wouldnt be surprised if I find myself knocking at the doors of Raju soon... I believed that I had cut Raju some slack by heading to neighborhood mech but looks like its all gonna change soon

Thanks anyway for suggesting Santosh...

Last edited by The Wolf : 12th June 2010 at 12:09.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Tyres, rims, paint job

Hey guys...

My 7.00-16 NDMS have arrived, as well as 16 inch rims (picked up 5 from grey market (500 bucks each). Have sent the rims for body color matt finish paint job (blow flame + scraping/cleanup + single coat black water proof paint, like tar, on inside + 2 coats of primer on outside + 2 coats of paint + 2 coats of matt laquer) for now, it should be back by Wed noon. Suspected delay due to rains. Will post pics once done.

One question, one of the rims among the 5 seems to be extra heavy though it is the exact same design and from the same set. Any idea why folks??
Old 14th June 2010, 21:45   #75
BHPian

You seriously want to try Raju. He is my mech from last 3 years. And suresh's from last 15 years!!! It is something like an official Jeepthrills garage now

--Sree--

Most Viewed