Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 22:28   #181
BHPian

I certainly hope they do a sensible pricing.
If it has A/C and nick-nacks, heck I'll buy one...!

Again Price is a Big "If"
Old 14th May 2010, 22:36   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I ride a VFR so for me its the Thar and exploration into India's wilderness far and wide.

Those bikes will be awesome but you can involve the family in so much more with something like the Thar

Will be checking out/riding some Harleys this weekend
Hi,
Lucky you! For me it will be either/ or. And considering I already have a RD and a TBTS, a third might be overkill. (Picked those rather than the liters/ repliracers because I feel those are more practical and will be priced similar to the Thar.) However I have/ have access to various MM 4x4s too. My Bolero 4x4 will serve for family quality time. So for me the Thar would be a personal luxury/ extravagance.

Why do I feel the only HD to appeal to you would be the VRod/ NightRod?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th May 2010, 22:42   #183
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Why do I feel the only HD to appeal to you would be the VRod/ NightRod?
Nightrod would be special. But there's a vintage car buff in me so I prefer the Heritage Softail. But they touch 23 lacs which I cannot afford right now so its the Thar this year. No regrets though. Just saw an article on Mana Uttarakhand. Can't wait to head there in the Thar

Thar country...man I can't wait

Thar she blows !!-dscn0830.jpg
Source : http://www.indiamike.com/photopost/d...m/DSCN0830.JPG

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2010 at 16:19. Reason: As per report post.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:50   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just saw an article on Mana Uttarakhand. Can't wait to head there in the Thar

Thar country...man I can't wait
Alone, or with the Grand Old Lady?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th May 2010, 22:55   #185
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Alone, or with the Grand Old Lady?

Regards
Sutripta
She is willing to travel anywhere in a CJ3B. She actually wants to head to Kashmir in the CJ3B !!

In the Thar she'd be game to do the Amazon !!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Stick to South Africa. Tell MM to pick up the tab, with her being the brand ambassador! Money can't buy that sort of endorsement/ publicity.

Sutripta
Old 14th May 2010, 23:20   #187
Senior - BHPian

superb, now the prospective THAR buyers list is increasing by the page..

Lets hope the launch dates are firm and the price is sweet!!!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA
It was not on steroid, infact i am planning to plonk a dataset with 300 Nm torque. Let me see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
lower ratio gear sets for the transmission, axle, larger tyres, datasets for more torque, larger booster for brakes to be mean, roll bars and winches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
It quite difficult to Change the Diff-Ratio on a CRDI engine, as it will need a suitable "data set".
Oh Mon Dieu!
Dear OE engineers, please tell me dataset = remap (higher peak boost?)
Old 15th May 2010, 02:15   #189
Muzungu

Quote:
BD Spike its interesting to see many people speak up about how the car will/can fit into their requirements as a daily ride for the family with offroad capability.

I think its now so important to ensure the aesthetics of the exterior and interior, ergonomics etc are focused on. You have brilliant mechanicals, now the Thar must delight customers in terms of finish, goodies inside the cabin and overall appeal or aspirational value.

This is really interesting. The forum is providing a wonderful platform to understand how people think. This is precious.

Requirement of airconditioning and a lockable hardtop option are so clearly established.

My next question is, what about a 2wd. I say M&M should do it.

2wd with a/c, hardtop. That should appeal to many more people. Remember you save on 4x4 mechanicals ! What say? Maybe this is the wrong section to ask the question.

Shall we start a thread to assess the viability of a 2wd in the general cars section?
Toyota is doing it with Fortuner. they are launching a 2WD which will be atleast 2-3 lakhs cheaper than the 4WD Fortuner!

as Fazal said that during the hyderabad TD of THARCAR, it performed most of the tasks in 2WD only, relying on raw power and strong low end torque!

Old 15th May 2010, 08:42   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
Toyota is doing it with Fortuner. they are launching a 2WD which will be atleast 2-3 lakhs cheaper than the 4WD Fortuner!

as Fazal said that during the Hyderabad TD of THARCAR, it performed most of the tasks in 2WD only, relying on raw power and strong low end torque!
Muzungu,
Yes it did perform most of it in 2WD mode, the low end torque ishould be experienced to be believed. Soft off-roading can very easily be done in the 2WD variant, without doubt.

A 2WD and 4WD variant being launched is a good idea since many would not want to pay that huge extra which goes towards the front 4WD differential (which is the most expensive component after the engine) and the 4WD transfer case, this additional spending can be saved by the potential customer if he is not really interested in off-roading but still wants a refined jeep which is also is a great cruiser... in his garage.

Personally I would want a 4WD even if I am not doing an inch of off-roading throughout the year, 4WD is one of the most important characteristic that makes a Jeep a Jeep and what it should be.
Regards,
Old 15th May 2010, 08:43   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Oh Mon Dieu!
Dear OE engineers, please tell me dataset = remap (higher peak boost?)
oh mon dieu: a remap means a remap. not a higher boost. it could also be a flatter torque curve, multiple injections, higher pump pressure etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post

as Fazal said that during the hyderabad TD of THARCAR, it performed most of the tasks in 2WD only, relying on raw power and strong low end torque!
What is the purpose of 2wd THACAR? What segment is it targetted at and what models is it going to replace?

A better bet is to make it only a 4wd fun vehicle and price it correctly [you guys know i mean 5 lakhs, but lets not closed this thread too!!! ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Personally I would want a 4WD even if I am not doing an inch of off-roading throughout the year, 4WD is one of the most important characteristic that makes a Jeep a Jeep and what it should be.
A +10 sir! We do seem to agree on somethings: LOL

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2010 at 16:27. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:47   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A +10 sir! We do seem to agree on somethings: LOL
Headers,
Thanks, there will be many more things we will be agreeing upon in the future.
Regards,
Old 15th May 2010, 09:13   #193
BHPian

DKG and others great review. Good to see the designers and engineers design a Jeep that has the capability to perform like a car. I am one whom will be a newbie to offroading. Price it sensible and I am game for it. Well not much alternatives in the 6-8 Lakh bracket anyway. If A/C and a removable hard top are there, well all I have to do is start preparing the family for the jeep. As mentioned by a lot of people over here it sure has the potential to become a primary car eating into the hatch as well as the sedan segment

Now that I think of Thar I will travel to the desert by the same name on Monday. Is it a coincidence or what

Last edited by indian21r : 15th May 2010 at 09:14.
Old 15th May 2010, 09:36   #194
Senior - BHPian

The THAR will appeal to many people like me who fall in the following category;

Want to own only one vehicle.
Must have go anywhere(offroad) and touring capabilities.
Must have creature comforts of good seats and a decent ride with ac & PS.
Must be backed by a decent service network.

Having said that;
The THAR must not cost as much as a 4wd Safari/ Scorpio.
If it does then it wouldnt make ownership sense and would be more of an enthusiasts vehicle.

I dont think M&M is looking at mass marketing the THAR. This looks like Mahindra's commitment to its "Would you marry a man who owns a JEEP" ad!! That man has now upgraded(finally) to ac & PS with coil springs upfront and a peppy engine...hopefully with a hardtop!!

What is the price of the Mahindra MAJOR 4wd...? I think its 7 lakhs +
If the THAR is at the same price point.. all the rural police will be buying one too!

If MAhindra is looking to sell it as an enthusiasts vehicle, then THEY should add customising options right from the start at the sales point to cater to the enthusiast.

Whats the point in selling the THAR and expecting the customer to do after market customising(mechanical & cosmetic)!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th May 2010 at 09:38.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:17   #195
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The THAR will appeal to many people like me who fall in the following category....
I think M&M will be meeting your expectations on pricing. Lets hope they also act on your suggestion for a line up of customising goodies
Closed Thread

Most Viewed