Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 16:56   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Dear Behram Sir, I'd want to ride the black cat too, whenever she comes to the IT savvy city whose name starts with 'B'.
Behram Sir, I too would like to see the Thar in Action. Last time I saw it in the parked condition... Please invite all jeepers/fans/prospects in and around B to the event/location...
Old 18th May 2010, 17:33   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...... Let's see now, there is this big IT savvy city in South India, it's name starts with the letter "B" I think. It's "only" a 1000 odd kms away from Mumbai. ....
DB, If you come over a weekend, it would be SUPER. Then we can take it to nice places...

Even if you come on a weekday, I am sure most of us will take leave to see the Thar in action
Old 18th May 2010, 20:39   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sutripta,

I don't have figures for the MM540/MM550. ut for a similar size (WB) vehicle.
For the 2005 JEEP Wrangler TJ (Solid Axle Coil Spring)
it is F/R 48:51 and 50:50 for the Rubicon Model.

Jeep Horizons :: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Specifications

My guess for the MM540/MM550 is Front/Rear 55:45

With the Differential Housing bolted to the Chassis, I think the Weight Distribution will be more toward the front in case of the M&M Thar.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks for the reply. By the way the 540 handles, I would suspect a front bias more than 55:45. I think the Thar is better balanced.

Now to get hold of a weighbridge whose owner will not come after me with a tyre iron when I drive sideways onto the bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
48:51 eh?? What about the remaining 1%?

Spike
So Spike, how about sharing the actual figures?
What is the weight of the NEF (with accessories) as used in the Thar?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th May 2010, 21:07   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
Thanks for the reply. By the way the 540 handles, I would suspect a front bias more than 55:45. I think the Thar is better balanced.

Now to get hold of a weighbridge whose owner will not come after me with a tyre iron when I drive sideways onto the bridge!
You're going to have less than a ton atmost at a corner.
Why use a weigh bridge which may not be as accurate as needed to get the figures right?
Second, the vehicle should be at the same level as it would be when parked on a flat, horizontal surface. A difference of an mm at some corner will throw off the readings altogether.

Here's the best way to do it using this purpose made device from Longacre:
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-img57.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-onthescales.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 21:51   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
how about sharing the actual figures?
52.45:47.55 in Kerb weight condition. The instrument shown above is a Load cell, this is what we use for all our weight measurements (CG calculation, Articulation etc)

Spike
Old 18th May 2010, 22:05   #276
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
52.45:47.55 in Kerb weight condition.
Not surprised as the car felt balanced both onroad and offroad. While driving it over the rocks Spike I was watching for sign of sharp weight shifts but was surprised to find it well balanced. No sudden dips or tilts.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:16   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
52.45:47.55 in Kerb weight condition. The instrument shown above is a Load cell, this is what we use for all our weight measurements (CG calculation, Articulation etc)

Spike
Thanks. What about the figures for the 540/ 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You're going to have less than a ton atmost at a corner.
Why use a weigh bridge which may not be as accurate as needed to get the figures right?
Second, the vehicle should be at the same level as it would be when parked on a flat, horizontal surface. A difference of an mm at some corner will throw off the readings altogether.

Here's the best way to do it using this purpose made device from Longacre:
Agreed. These load cells have a design very different from normal platform scales. To keep the profile low, a shear-beam is used. But of a special design which can handle side thrusts without getting spoilt. So where will I get 4 (or at least 2 + 2 dummies) of these load cells.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th May 2010, 22:27   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not surprised as the car felt balanced both onroad and offroad. While driving it over the rocks Spike I was watching for sign of sharp weight shifts but was surprised to find it well balanced. No sudden dips or tilts.
Good observation, Longitudinal or lateral weight shifts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thanks. What about the figures for the 540/ 550
Don't have the figures with me right now, let me see if I can measure weights of a 550 Army NGCS that I drove a few days back.

Spike
Old 19th May 2010, 00:23   #279
BHPian

Wow the Thar is coming to Bangalore?
Would love to see it in action. Count me in to. (Do i get to drive it?)
Old 19th May 2010, 01:40   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA
Longitudinal or lateral weight shifts
So, you're not going to use the terms 'pitch' and 'yaw'?
Old 19th May 2010, 08:25   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
Wow the Thar is coming to Bangalore?
Would love to see it in action. Count me in to. (Do i get to drive it?)
Exact same thought in my mind!
Do we have a tentative timeframe! I wish I can witness (and drive also if given a chance) this test.
Guys, as someone said earlier, dont try to prove what it cannot do. However, it wil be fun to test the vehicle just enough to its capacity. you guys know that better

We need to be ready with two things.
1> List of people (probable) going to be attending this event
2> A couple or more OTR sites to welcome the vehicle

I work Sundays and leave early morning for work, frequently I see a group of Jeep folks on Sarjapur road early morning on Sundays (chai / ciggy break) - I wish I can join them someday!!
Old 19th May 2010, 08:30   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deepak,

One of the high point in the ride quality, very noticeable since the first time I drove it. No body roll, no load shift, very well balanced at high speeds, curves, steep gradients.

Well balanced as it feels bottom heavy and not top heavy like 540/ 550'sthis is my personal view and feel.

BD and Spike are more empowered to elaborate on this.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 19th May 2010 at 08:32.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:25   #283
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good observation, Longitudinal or lateral weight shifts?
Both Spike. My thoughts were on this aspect where at times I had to gently ease her into a crevice between rocks. Often offroad and especially in monsoon you have these deep ruts which at times are not entirely straight and often the car has to be eased through. Sudden weight shifts can catch you off guard. Further sometimes when its unavoidable and you are cutting across a slope sudden lateral weight shift can prove diasastrous so I was particularly attentive.

To really tell you the truth the weight shift behavior of a car is what transpires confidence in me more than anything else. I feel its true in a sports car also.

Basically a human being cannot predict weight shifts and cannot counter it effectively until its too late. So how a car behaves in such conditions is what truly inspires confidence.

The Thar seemed to excel in it. You would have noticed there were some slopes I didn't attempt immediately as I was unfamiliar with the car. But after a few rounds I was as at ease doing the nastier climbs and drops as I was with the easier slopes. Credit goes to the machine in inspiring confidence.

I can say this more clearly that the credit goes to the Thar because I don't take chances, rarely take chances. Learnt that aspect in driving as I ride a superbike. There chances imply instant death. That habit of mine extends to sports cars and offroad machines.

So until I was at ease the Thar could handle slopes well I simply didn't attempt the harsher inclines.

I think Fazal hit it spot on when he said the car feels distinctly bottom heavy. That feeling is very palpable. Those rear differentials weigh a ton is it?
Old 19th May 2010, 10:42   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So, you're not going to use the terms 'pitch' and 'yaw'?
Because 'Pitch' and 'Yaw' are resultants of Longitudinal and Lateral weight transfers respectively.

Quote:
You would have noticed there were some slopes I didn't attempt immediately as I was unfamiliar with the car. But after a few rounds I was as at ease doing the nastier climbs and drops as I was with the easier slopes.
Yeah, I noticed it and kept quiet.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 19th May 2010 at 10:47.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:34   #285
BHPian

Spike,

Can you please tell us about the aircon and hard top features as well, especially for gypsyers like us who really would like to get an upgradation to a vehicle equal or better than Gypsy with basic comfort like aircon and ride quality.

Raj
Closed Thread

Most Viewed