Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 23:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@DKG: Very nice narration. If Thar turns out to be as good as you have said i am ready to trade off my diesel hatchback for a Thar. A removable Hardtop and a strong AC will be even better.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

DKG, thats a nice review and you have summed up the points quite well.

A/C and lockable cabin are quite important for the success of this vehicle. I hope Mahindra doesn't shoot itself in the foot by launching it without A/C and hardtop.

Thanks BD & Spike
Old 12th May 2010, 23:59   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@DKG: If Thar turns out to be as good as you have said i am ready to trade off my diesel hatchback for a Thar. A removable Hardtop and a strong AC will be even better.
We must have spent a couple of hours discussing just this. The four of us seemed to agree that the Thar has the potential to wean customers away from a top end hatch or low C segment sedan if she has a/c and a lockable cabin.

I have known this trend in car sales abroad where a luxury sedan often competed with a comparatively priced SUV. Believe me the SUV's made a good proposition for the buyer. The versatility aspect seemed to lure people to SUV's although 95% never went offroad.

Last edited by DKG : 13th May 2010 at 00:02.
Old 13th May 2010, 00:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Now this review has started the temptation. Nice one. Can you also share some pics please.
Old 13th May 2010, 00:13   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I hope Mahindra doesn't shoot itself in the foot by launching it without A/C and hardtop.
I don't think we left any stone unturned in making that point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Can you also share some pics please.
Fazal will do the honours as he kindly allowed me the pleasure of the wheel while he captured our antics at the track (since he's already driven the Thar and shared his test drive report)
Old 13th May 2010, 00:43   #21

Nicely written. Ohh btw, ever noticed how big the Thar looks as compared to other normal cars? I noticed this recently.
Old 13th May 2010, 00:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
The issue my brother is what would be the cost when you put on A/C, Hardtop, and PS. Differential Locks are also an option as told to me by BD. But then what will be the ultimate cost. I guess with all the above option the price might jump to 10+ OTR.

Now I would like to see how many hands go up at that price!
I thought GTO temporarily closed this thread.

I hope these options will be available on launch day. I hope the Thar is so compelling that it will force me to sell my new Invader to a Punjab teenager with too much money in his pocket and no good sense. Maybe if I glue a shovel and axe on the sides....
Old 13th May 2010, 01:09   #23

Remember to put the BIG Chrome alloys and the "Dhinchak Muzik Systam"
Old 13th May 2010, 01:42   #24
Muzungu

i want a JEEP, not a CAR!

on a serious note, i would like to say well done DKG on your write up about the THARCAR.

if the price for a lockable/removable hardtop cabin with PS and AC is below 7 large ones, then im all for this THARCAR!

Last edited by Samurai : 13th May 2010 at 08:22. Reason: don't quote the whole post

Old 13th May 2010, 02:33   #25
BHPian

Thar scores again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've noticed once too often ------on your hands !!
DKG,
Thank you for the report, you are convencing.
You are the second person who has his thumb up for Thar (first being Fazal). The score is 2 out of 2 which is very impressive.
Questions:
How do you rate the mechanicals, read as transmission (gearbox, transfer case and suspension)?
Can you compare Thar with Bolero VLX or Scorpio regarding handling, taking corners??
Once again, thanks for the review
Old 13th May 2010, 03:01   #26
BHPian

Thought you jeepers may like it!

Old 13th May 2010, 05:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great review. I am not a big offroading fan (I have serious dust allergies), but the Thar has really tempted me.
Heck I will definitely buy one if Mahindra offers a hard top version with an AC. I don't care about the PS, but an AC and hardtop is a must for me.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

The car sure has attracted a lot of attention atleast on this forum. Hope to see some pictures here.

@monster: The video and the music is simply amazing. The tires sure looks wicked. Some parts seems to be borrowed from the 540 and other mahindra vehicles but surely a hard top is a neccesity for this car. A removable hardtop would be a killer option
Old 13th May 2010, 08:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You bet !! I think you had some sixth sense to know this is what's more important in the wishlist for the Thar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Nice review. For all you know, I might end up buying the Thar and surprise myself impulsively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@DKG: Very nice narration. If Thar turns out to be as good as you have said i am ready to trade off my diesel hatchback for a Thar. A removable Hardtop and a strong AC will be even better.
Quote:
We must have spent a couple of hours discussing just this. The four of us seemed to agree that the Thar has the potential to wean customers away from a top end hatch or low C segment sedan if she has a/c and a lockable cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I hope the Thar is so compelling that it will force me to sell my new Invader to a Punjab teenager with too much money in his pocket and no good sense. Maybe if I glue a shovel and axe on the sides....
Actually I had predicted this very long back to some people, much before wish-list thread was created. The need of the hour is a family friendly offroader. For people who still don't understand what that is, it is a competent offroader which has A/C and lockable cabin. If anybody provides that, they will attract buyers from other segments like Sedan/SUV/hatch.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The need of the hour is a family friendly offroader. For people who still don't understand what that is, it is a competent offroader which has A/C and lockable cabin. If anybody provides that, they will attract buyers from other segments like Sedan/SUV/hatch.
What about back seat comfort? Will THAR be comfortable for elderly people to sit at back?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed