Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 18:55   #346
Senior - BHPian

Apna India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Arka this is apna India! All the american warranty claim and laws don't mean a thing here. We have a budding consumer court system, maybe in another decade or two we can start hoping for all such videshi previlages.

For the time being forget M&M, no manufacturer in India will offer regular warranty claim for any offroad damage. It will be more of goodwill coverages here and there based on the relation you have with the dealership, who are the best to convince or fool the manufacturer lol

Moment activity moves out of road spectrum, insurance wont even cover.
Jaggu Ji,

In Apna INDIA, Off-Road = not so Apna MAHINDRA.

I know of one instance where M&M has refused warranty on Scorpio Auto-Locking Hubs, because it was taken into water, while crossing a stream off-road.

Since we are going the American way in most of the things, including recreational off-road driving, we might as well discuss these things and may be the manufacturer can get some ideas.

M&M is offering a comprehensive drive train warranty on some models, after Force Motors gave 3Lakhs and 12 Free Services as a bonus.

Maybe a Extended Warranty or something like a Rally insurance.

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th May 2010, 19:11   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Off-Road = not so Apna MAHINDRA.
Arka that's sad to hear coming from you, i know other manufacturer's declining warranty claims for far less reasons. I personally had a tough time replacing a simple radiator fan which conked off for no apparent reason in my Swift D. Pointing one claim denial or mess up is really not helping the case.

If you ask me M&M is the only manufacturer who is still pushing the classic 4x4 theme forward, in whatever lil way. Tata and MUL though have the capabilities haven't even come forward. I know we all treat great escape as silly and a marketing gimmick, but which other manufacturer has done or doing something similar, that too year after year :-/
Old 20th May 2010, 19:17   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know we all treat great escape as silly and a marketing gimmick, but which other manufacturer has done or doing something similar, that too year after year :-/
I hear Maruti has the desert storm year on year for gypsies..
Old 20th May 2010, 19:22   #349
Senior - BHPian

Classic

Quote:
Arka that's sad to hear coming from you, i know other manufacturer's declining warranty claims for far less reasons. I personally had a tough time replacing a simple radiator fan which conked off for no apparent reason in my Swift D. Pointing one claim denial or mess up is really not helping the case.

If you ask me M&M is the only manufacturer who is still pushing the classic 4x4 theme forward, in whatever lil way. Tata and MUL though have the capabilities haven't even come forward. I know we all treat great escape as silly and a marketing gimmick, but which other manufacturer has done or doing something similar, that too year after year :-/
Hi Jaggu,

Its really very very sad, considering I own two of their Classic theme vehicles, and the way things are going will add a few more to the collection.

I know of one case of warranty claim because, I forwarded Mr. Mahindra's email id, to the person.

In another case there was a faulty Bolero Di-Turbo NGT520, which was to be replaced under warranty(excessive gear whine).

Do you know how they tried to solve this engineering mystery? Can you imagine the scientific approach, I guess this must become a case study in M.I.L.E.

What about the Legendary Borg-Warner Electric Shift , that too is a timeless classic.

Maruti does its bit with the Raid-De-Himalaya and Desert Storm.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Ans. Add Grease in the Gear Oil.
Old 20th May 2010, 19:22   #350
Team-BHP Support

For people who read line by line and then counter following might be useful, silly me was in my own 4x4 world, not motor sports or rallys.

Raid-de- Himalaya
Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm

EDIT: Arka i still can't figure you out, sorry thats just me.

M&M: I really don't know what you have done to this tall man of 4x4's, sigh!

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2010 at 19:25.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:14   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
How many people in this thread use a MM540 as their daily drive? Personally I think they are qualified enough to critisize M&M (not just because of their daily drive)
Although I own GV, Santro and CJ340, it is the CJ340 that I drive the most on a daily basis. Since the past two years, I use the Santro to drop my son to school. I drive the GV to work, drive the Jeep home for lunch and back, and take the Jeep again to pick up my son and drop him home and back to work. Then I drive the GV back home. So Jeep gets most of the miles.

Right now that routine has broken since the Jeep in Coorg undergoing rebuild.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:30   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the perspective of everyone who knows Arka or Vikram just through the forum it might look like they are bringing in a lot of negativity.
========================
But if you really know them, then you will that whatever they have said is due to the passion they have for 4X4s.
Exactly my point Bala! i know they are passionate, but passion can be expressed in a more positive way, thats all i was looking forward to. Especially from passionate and experienced people.

Anyways its a free country and everybody is entitled to an opinion. Its upto others to take it or just leave it. Negativity soon gets lost coz people are inherently optimists and positive, atleast the majority are
Old 20th May 2010, 21:46   #353
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for a Bowler Wildcat or Nemesis on our shores.

I always believe that in order to win a war, you have to have better tech than the other side. I think our armed forces live with sub-standard hardware compared to the armies of the rest of the world. How can an MM550 go head to head with a Humvee, Bowler Nemesis, Land Rover Defender and some of those crazy Russian military vehicles?

Even the Stallion is more than soundly trashed by the offerings by Tatra etc.

There is no arms race...the Indian runner has simply stopped in the 70s.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:08   #354
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many people in this thread use a MM540 as their daily drive? Personally I think they are qualified enough to critisize M&M (not just because of their daily drive)
I drive my petrol CJ3B everyday. Plus over 7000 kms of highway driving, jungle trails and OTR's.

I agree with Jaggu about the positivity bit. Somewhere down the line negativity is not good for your mental and physical health, regardless of whether such emotions are justified or credible.

Life is never as per plan. There's always a surpise around the corner when you least expect it. Things don't turn out the way you would desire them to. If you don't learn to still always draw the positive out of every experience you lose the plot eventually and get bogged down in your own negativity.

I find the Thar to be a fun offroader that will allow me to drive up to the Himalayas to offroad every year. Why should I fret and fume about M&M's choice in tech if it still allows me to do stuff I like doing.

To those who will deny themselves this car because they fundamentally are opposed to its tech, you will miss out on so much else in terms of opportunities to enjoy offroading in a variety of diverse locations.

Already I see many Terra Tigers baulking at the thought of driving 1300 kms to the Pune events, that too in pristine monsoon weather !! What's the use of all those steerings and FFRA and solid axles if one can't be motivated to drive the distance to enjoy some exotic offroad locations?

Come one guys walk the talk. Get into those Jeeps and be there in Pune ie if you really believe a hot Jeep is what you have !!

PS: its people who make the difference in any sport. You guys are fun to hang out with in OTR's and all I care is you guys too make it to all the events.

Last edited by DKG : 20th May 2010 at 22:21.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:45   #355
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice way to corner the tigers to come for the AKC Deepak.
No seriously, whether its horses or CJ3B's or 540's or Gypsies or Thar it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

What matters is the time we spend together, the fun we have sharing time and stories

Just imagine if the Coorg guys get into the game and this 4x4 nomadic tribe heads from Pune to Goa to Coorg !!

Once a year this festival must happen. Different years different parts of the country.

To me that's the ultimate joy. Not whether my car has IFS or Solid axle or whether M&M listens to me or not.

Its people, nature and fun ! Offroading is nothing but a platform to have a blast.

So lets put aside all our concerns about the Thar and agree to having a riot once a year.

Just look at that sentiment which makes motocamp want to organise the event. I'm sure the times he spent with his dear friend Alfa Kilo remain permanently etched in his mind. Leh ladakh are special but it was the time he spent there with his friend that will remain ever more precious and special.

I cannot even begin to explain the amount of fun we had on our superbike rides. What a riot. Everyone remembers those years as awesome.

I would love to see all of us have that same kind of fun over offroading

Last edited by DKG : 20th May 2010 at 22:50.
Old 21st May 2010, 00:17   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sutripta,

I Weight Bias/Weight Distribution is one of the Factors for Good Handling.

Some Factors which I can think of

1) Chassis Dynamics
2) Suspension
3) Weight Distribution
4) Track Width
5) Body Style/Body Mounting
6) Tyres(Contact Patch.
7) Centre of Gravity

The biggest Draw back with the MM540 is that the body is very wide with respect to the Chassis. (the doors are 12" from the Chassis approx)

The Body Roll is very pronounced on a MM540/MM550, you can actually feel the body flap, while turning fast.

This can be countered by wider body beds (Out Riggers from Armada/Grand/Bolero), the same has been incorporated on the Single Cab pick Ups, under the Cab.

If we go by Weight Distribution/Bias then the JEEP Wrangler's would be handling as well as WRC Cars, weight Distribution being similar.

Regards,

Arka
Weight bias is just one of the many things which affect handling. But it is one of the fundamentals which is difficult to reengineer. Like the polar moment of inertia. At most we can shift the position of the battery! Handling is one of the things which is as much art as science. Else every wannabe car designer sitting at his workstation would design cars with fantastic ride/handling.

I was thinking more in terms of traction. For a number of years, my primary drive was a 500DP 101" WB. There was practically no weight on the rear wheels:- poor traction. What the 3B would do with aplomb, 101" would do with a great deal of drama, fishtailing merrily and mightily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Jaggu,

PS - Ans. Add Grease in the Gear Oil.
This positively proves that MM A.S.S. know nothing. The time honoured traditional method is sawdust!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st May 2010, 00:44   #357
Muzungu

a question for the experts:

should i buy THAR from the first production lot?

OR

wait for the improved( minus the short comings of the 1st lot)2nd lot?

Old 21st May 2010, 08:01   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I always believe that in order to win a war, you have to have better tech than the other side.
@gs: nowadays war is won or lost by sitting in the control rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Already I see many Terra Tigers baulking at the thought of driving 1300 kms to the Pune events, that too in pristine monsoon weather !! What's the use of all those steerings and FFRA and solid axles if one can't be motivated to drive the distance to enjoy some exotic offroad locations?

Come one guys walk the talk. Get into those Jeeps and be there in Pune ie if you really believe a hot Jeep is what you have !!
LOL Deepak, you definitely know how to pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice way to corner the tigers to come for the AKC Deepak.
Quote:
No seriously, whether its horses or CJ3B's or 540's or Gypsies or Thar it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

What matters is the time we spend together, the fun we have sharing time and stories
Correct sir, we finally seem to share the same thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
should i buy THAR from the first production lot?

OR

wait for the improved( minus the short comings of the 1st lot)2nd lot?
Muzungu: Best to do is what our friend DKG suggested - wait for some time and pick up a used THAR - then we can convert to whatever form we want and enjoy it.

My worry about the THAR is its suspension setup rather than any other thing.

ANyways, lets wait for the THAR sportz
Old 21st May 2010, 09:00   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
There is no arms race...the Indian runner has simply stopped in the 70s.
gsferrari,

Your words should be "Etched in gold".

Yes, very true though it is very off-topic, but our armed forces... one of the finest and best in the world are handicapped by obsolete equipment, arms and technology in today's world of sophisticated warfare.
Our political and defense think tanks feel we can go into combat and bring home victory by fighting the late 70's way.

Regards,
Old 21st May 2010, 10:06   #360
Senior - BHPian

Hot Stuff!!!

Quote:

PS: its people who make the difference in any sport. You guys are fun to hang out with in OTR's and all I care is you guys too make it to all the events.

Hi DKG,

We would love to drive up, but on such a short notice we cannot squeeze out 6 Days, that too a month before TPC10.

And since you are "Walking the Talk" we'll give you a free run on this one

Regards,

Arka

PS - Hot JEEPs are for Hot Stuff

Last edited by ex670c : 21st May 2010 at 10:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks