Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 14:30   #406
BHPian

Just came across this thread. And the heart now yearns for Mahindra to hurry up with the launch. Must keep assets liquid

Great review DKG
Old 24th May 2010, 22:19   #407
BHPian

Quote:
. Airbags
2. ABS
3. Hard Top
4. AC
5. 2WD
6. Front facing rear seats

The above would make Thar the best choice for ordinary people like me.
Sir, what you need is a CAR and not the THAR
Old 24th May 2010, 22:42   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
My suggestions for the Thar:

1. Airbags
2. ABS
3. Hard Top
4. AC
5. 2WD
6. Front facing rear seats

The above would make Thar the best choice for ordinary people like me.
2WD??? Better opt for a sedan with these choices .
Old 25th May 2010, 00:39   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
2WD??? Better opt for a sedan with these choices .
I do have two sedans, sir, but the roads I travel on to get to my factory ask for a tough vehicle with high ground clearance. As in the case of Scorpio, a 2WD and a 4WD can co-exist. The 4X4 for all you special people and a 2WD for ordinary people like me.

Outside this forum, 2WD sells a lot more than 4WD and more sales will only keep the Thar production alive for a longer period of time unlike in the case of Mahindra Classic. Think about it, you special people and us ordinary people will get spares for far longer with a lot of Thars selling.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:16   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have two sedans, sir, but the roads I travel on to get to my factory ask for a tough vehicle with high ground clearance. As in the case of Scorpio, a 2WD and a 4WD can co-exist. The 4X4 for all you special people and a 2WD for ordinary people like me.

Outside this forum, 2WD sells a lot more than 4WD and more sales will only keep the Thar production alive for a longer period of time unlike in the case of Mahindra Classic. Think about it, you special people and us ordinary people will get spares for far longer with a lot of Thars selling.
I'm not sure you really understand the package you'll be getting. For more clarity, i suggest you go TD the Scorpio and then TD the Bolero VLX. It will give you the difference in refinement between these two vehicles. And remember THAR is going to even more basic than the Bolero.

No Power Windows
No inside adjustable ORVMs
Single recirculation mode A/C with only front blow

I hope you get my drift.

Just for going over bad roads, a Scorpio / Bolero is good enough! Plus M&M is not looking to make it a mass seller
Old 25th May 2010, 10:05   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm not sure you really understand the package you'll be getting. For more clarity, i suggest you go TD the Scorpio and then TD the Bolero VLX. It will give you the difference in refinement between these two vehicles. And remember THAR is going to even more basic than the Bolero.

No Power Windows
No inside adjustable ORVMs
Single recirculation mode A/C with only front blow

I hope you get my drift.

Just for going over bad roads, a Scorpio / Bolero is good enough! Plus M&M is not looking to make it a mass seller
Sir, I have owned a MM540, a Bolero and a Scorpio in the past and at age 41, I very well understand what these vehicles are and what they have to offer. If I was looking for power windows, power mirrors and all that you think I'm looking for, I would look no further than my CRV that I already own. For some ordinary people like me, the body shape of the 540/ 550/ Thar is even more macho/ romantic than that of the CJ3, forget the Bolero and Scorpio.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:08   #412
BHPian

Hi Thar,
your 2wd mention was the confusion and i feel you need a 2wd version of thar.But why?you use 2wd always and enagage 4wd whenever you feel.Thar is not all time 4x4.even most of us will do like that only if its a prime vehicle.

Raj
Old 25th May 2010, 11:17   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it an electronic transfer case or a manual one? A manual one costs next to nothing, so I dont know what you guys are arguing about in terms of 2wd vs 4wd sales.

If its an electronic borg-warner TC, well, all the best.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:36   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I have owned a MM540, a Bolero and a Scorpio in the past and at age 41, I very well understand what these vehicles are and what they have to offer. If I was looking for power windows, power mirrors and all that you think I'm looking for, I would look no further than my CRV that I already own. For some ordinary people like me, the body shape of the 540/ 550/ Thar is even more macho/ romantic than that of the CJ3, forget the Bolero and Scorpio.
Sir, as you have already experienced the MM540/550 I then need not say anything more about the choice of the vehicle and its application. But the point I would like to make is why restrict the capability of the vehicle for the sake of 70-80k and then repent later. I'm sure you'll not be venturing off road in your CRV so why not have a competent off-roader which will not run up a mind numbing bill after getting thrashed in an OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Hi Thar,
your 2wd mention was the confusion and i feel you need a 2wd version of thar.But why?you use 2wd always and enagage 4wd whenever you feel.Thar is not all time 4x4.even most of us will do like that only if its a prime vehicle.

Raj
Exactly my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is it an electronic transfer case or a manual one? A manual one costs next to nothing, so I dont know what you guys are arguing about in terms of 2wd vs 4wd sales.

If its an electronic borg-warner TC, well, all the best.
Its a manual transfer case. The difference will not be that high between the 4X2 and 4x4.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:06   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
the point I would like to make is why restrict the capability of the vehicle for the sake of 70-80k and then repent later. I'm sure you'll not be venturing off road in your CRV so why not have a competent off-roader which will not run up a mind numbing bill after getting thrashed in an OTR.
What he needs is something that looks like the MM5x0 Jeep without being bothered about its capability as one.

Perfectly fine isn't it.

Quote:
For some ordinary people like me, the body shape of the 540/ 550/ Thar is even more macho/ romantic than that of the CJ3, forget the Bolero and Scorpio.
However the Scorpio or the Safari sells more int he 2wd form as there is a substantial market for a refined people mover (that can carry more then 5 people). Doubt if a niche product like the Thar will appeal to that segment. Because at that segment there are other people movers that will reliably ferry people.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:41   #416
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was looking for power windows, power mirrors and all that you think I'm looking for, I would look no further than my CRV that I already own. For some ordinary people like me, the body shape of the 540/ 550/ Thar is even more macho/ romantic than that of the CJ3, forget the Bolero and Scorpio.
I've been contantly saying the Thar must come in 2wd. You are a customer for a 2wd Thar !! Please do share with us what aspects of the car you like and what makes you prefer a 2wd Thar over a sedan or hatchback. Should be interesting to hear from you.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:02   #417
Senior - BHPian

I agree, we need it in both the versions. It will surely help bump the overall volume and help with availbility of spares - However, I guess all 4WD lovers are looking for some sort of exclusivity!
For me, a very good balance of off-road and on-road capabilities is what matters; some creature comforts (really purposeful) will be welcome as well apart from standard requirement (AC/PS/ABS).

I'm not very hopeful for ABS here, look at the category in which they are placing the vehicle with conservative price band (I wish they dont miss ABS, please!); its going to be difficult for them to put such creature comfort.

Last edited by Ketan : 25th May 2010 at 15:06.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:06   #418
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I agree, we need it in both the versions. It will surely help bump the overall volume and help with availbility of spares - However, I guess all 4WD lovers are looking for some sort of exclusivity!
To tell you the truth from a 4x4 enthusist's perspective there is a selfish motive in asking for a 2wd. If the Thar becomes a viable product line for M&M they will allocate a larger fund for future model development, and R&D guys will have a freer hand in terms of what they can accomplish. If say the Thar is released only as a 4x4 and it ends up having limted sales chances are no senior exec in M&M would want his name associated with it.

So in the interests of ensuring there is always a 4x4 offering of this nature from M&M its best we encourage versions which will sustain the model
Old 25th May 2010, 15:18   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've been contantly saying the Thar must come in 2wd. You are a customer for a 2wd Thar !! Please do share with us what aspects of the car you like and what makes you prefer a 2wd Thar over a sedan or hatchback. Should be interesting to hear from you.
DKG, not speaking for Thar(the user_id), but since everyone who has test driven the Thar(the jeep) says it can handle most of the terrain in 2wd thanks to its immense torque.

Maybe for a user who will only encounter bad roads with gradient the 2wd makes sense.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:35   #420
BHPian

Full time 4WD vs Part Time 4WD vs Auto 4WD

I am one of those sedan drivers who now want a real machine now. I want to know which category does Thar 4WD fall into:

Part-Time 4WD - Refers to a four-wheel drive system that operates on-demand and drives all four wheels by locking front and rear axles together via a shift lever. It usually includes two speed ranges (Hi and Lo). Part-time 4WD systems must be operated in 2WD mode on dry pavement, as they're designed to be used only in specific situations when extra traction is required.

Full-Time 4WD - Describes a four-wheel-drive system that can be operated continuously on all surfaces. A full-time four-wheel-drive system may include the option of part-time operation (allowing you to shift into 2WD on dry pavement for example), and may or may not have Hi and Lo speed ranges.

Automatic Four-Wheel Drive (A4WD) - This type of drive system automatically engages 4WD as needed. When internal monitors sense differences in individual wheel speeds, indicating that a tire is slipping, then 4WD is automatically engaged.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks