Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 10:48   #46
BANNED

What time frame are we looking at for its launch?
Old 13th May 2010, 11:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Man and his Machine. All the way from the bottom to the top of the sheet rock ascent of 20 feet.
Thar she blows !!-tt1.jpg

Thar she blows !!-tt2.jpg

Thar she blows !!-tt3.jpg
Old 13th May 2010, 11:01   #48
BHPian

Excellent review DKG!!!
I've made up my mind to buy one in the next 24 months.
Hope it touches a max on road price of 7.5L with hardtop and a/c.
AND thanks to you BD sir for coming up with this vehicle.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Awesome review DKG. Thanks. A similiar review from Fazal too. I am convinced.
Spitfire,
When I tested it, the THAR was classified and couldn't be photographed,
what I missed out then in photographs I compensated now.
Regards,
Old 13th May 2010, 11:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

This vehicle surely looks AWESOME. By the way the 540 i have is prone to rattle every couple of 1000kms or so. Glad the same isnt the case with this one.

1 query: Mileage kya hai??
Old 13th May 2010, 11:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This vehicle surely looks AWESOME. By the way the 540 i have is prone to rattle every couple of 1000kms or so. Glad the same isnt the case with this one.

1 query: Mileage kya hai??
With the fun quotient and refinement this vehicle provides, im sure you will overlook the mileage factor which should be in the normal 10-14kpl range.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:30   #52
BHPian

Quick Turn around

Yesterday I was sad to see the Thar thread being locked, today I didn't know what to expect. Ohhhh this thread is so delightful. I am becoming like a guy stuck in a revolving door...no thar...go back to scorpio...no stick to Bolero...ohhh the Thar looks so exciting...mom and dad will have to take a cab...
Thank you gentlemen for this delightful confusion, it won't hurt to wait a little longer for the beauty. Thank you DB sir, you are one heck of an inspired person and I hope you will make history with the Thar. Thanks to this great board for giving me a reason to go to work and be in the rat race...soon this rat will have a fancy goat to ride.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 13th May 2010, 11:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

good to see a new thread minus the pointless discussions on the Thar's capabilities in the earlier one.
at the end of the day, the Thar is probably targetted as a lifestyle vehicle for some one with a car already and willing to put in car/large hatch level money on this.

its good to see the Thar's capabilities and that should be more than enough for typical buyers ( probably me too ) - but i hope it comes with
lockable cabin
a/c
good dash board - not the regular m&m fare
good ergonomics - pedal positions included
comfortable modern seats at the front atleast
cabin storage facilities that any other SUV/MUV offers
looks wise should be on par with the export models seen in the south african websites
good range of accessories/upgrade options from m&m

if this can be offered at 6-9lakhs i will put my money down for this vehicle
Old 13th May 2010, 12:28   #54
BHPian

Beautiful review there Deepak. Nice to know what stuff the Thar is made off after all the speculation. Thanks to DB sir and the rest of the group for making this review possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A lot of you were concerned about the Thar lifting a leg once too often on account of the IFS. No sir !! This car has long suspension travel and can put its feet down in ditches far more effortlessly and efficiently than you would expect it to.
You had mentioned that articulation is impressive, however the pics did not show any articulation. I have attached one of the pictures that Fazil had posted. I can see the rear articulating but not the front. Do you have any pictures showing the long travel? I would love to see the travel.

Quote:
This car can do stuff which any of our Jeeps can do. And to my honest surprise it does some things in two wheel drive which may make the old Jeeps squirm a bit !! Yes I was pleasantly surprised. The reason being the traction the feet of the Thar enjoy is miles more superior to what the NDMS afford the Jeeps. Somehow the weight of this car and the wheels seem to have found the right mix. It simply has all the traction you desire.

Thanks to the impressive traction of the Thar at the wheel and the oodles of power on slight tap of the throttle you can literally dance across rocks like a nimble footed gazelle.
But that should be attributed to the tyres, am I right? Hopefully with the same set, our Jeeps will offer the same traction? or is there something else on the Thar to complement the tyres?

Also, what things did the Thar do in the 2 wheel drive that the jeeps cannot do in 4 wheel drive? Honestly the terrain was not that scary.

Having said that, I can relate to the engine having loads of torque. I watched the Scorpio 4X4 take on Palar and the mhawk was a revelation. This must have been similar. But the mhawk did not do anything that the 540 or 3b or the 500d could not do. I think the same applies for the Thar.

One more query, the last pic I have attached shows the mud coming out of the skid plate. Now I'm a relative newbie to offroading, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that probably a 30 degree incline? Does the Thar have a low break over angle? IMHO, the skid plate should have easily cleared that.

Did you try taking a incline on the rocks with steering turned. Would like to get feedback on the abuse the R&P steering can take.

Quote:
Don't believe a word of what I say. All of you will someday soon get a chance to drive this most impressive machine and you will come away impressed. Even the most hardened critics will have a smile on their faces. For many reasons !
Is the Thar coming to Chennai?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-articlulation.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-skid-plate.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 12:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

awesome!
where in hyd was the thar tested? and was this a invite only preview to get the opinions? would have sure liked to come had i known in advance!

this will def sell well! loads of people in the circle i know are waiting for a jeep with all the creature comforts like this, am presuming that the test thar didnt have ac right?

how was it brought to hyd? was it driven down? in this heat?
Old 13th May 2010, 12:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

DKG, Super..please clarify the following for me!! I'm putting it in BOLD
within your quotes for easy understanding

Quote:
And to my honest surprise it does some things in two wheel drive which may make the old Jeeps squirm a bit !! Yes I was pleasantly surprised. The reason being the traction the feet of the Thar enjoy is miles more superior to what the NDMS afford the Jeeps. Somehow the weight of this car and the wheels seem to have found the right mix. It simply has all the traction you desire.

CORRECT SIR - NOW WHAT TYRES WERE YOU RUNNING?

Thanks to the impressive traction of the Thar at the wheel and the oodles of power on slight tap of the throttle you can literally dance across rocks like a nimble footed gazelle.

SIR, THE THAR has a antistall setting on the ECU which makes it hunt around 900 rpm before self adjusting to 1100 rpm. Did you check the limit at which you could make it stall? I'm asking this because that is an excellent feature and it WILL ROCK ON ANY HARD SURFACE!!!

I told BD, you really don't need to peddle the Thar. It will sell itself. It will convince any serious offroader its a serious machine. Not a pretender.
LOL, Now BD's got a super duper salesman

Which brings me to the main reason why I liked the Thar. This is a car that will make owners want to travel a thousand miles to attend offroad events. This is the car which will allow you to travel with your family in comfort and quiet. The Thar will bring the offroad community closer together. From events up in the Himalayas to Arunachal Pradesh to the Western Ghats to deserts of Rajasthan and Gujarat you won't hesitate to pick up the keys to a Thar, tank her up and shoot across the country for a thousand miles for your offroad fun.
The last point I agree..but how does the HT THAR behave w.r.t body roll etc.

Quote:
6L ex SHR max Sir..please..

And how many do you think are going to sell per month? 5K or less than 5K?

EDIT: IS the THAR coming to Chennai where the bad boys are? I believe the M&M R&D centre is near Chennai. That should give the THAR a natural direction to come to chennai..

Having come to Chennai, whether to meet the bad "ex670c aka arka" and the not so bad " headers " and let them drive the THAR is a different issue altogether.

Last edited by headers : 13th May 2010 at 12:40.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

9 lakhs?? are you kidding? Sir, don't M&M ideas lol.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:54   #58
BHPian

So far every one who has "experienced" the THAR has mostly become a complete fan of the vehicle.

DKG/Fazal sir - Great review and pics. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Price is the only factor that remains. No matter how good product, correct pricing is what will bring in the volumes.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 13th May 2010, 12:55   #59
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends,
A few quotes from my Thar test drive experience in April 09.
Some of which are endorsed by a more experienced Jeeper, Deepak.

The feeling of "not being enough" can only be fulfilled by driving it.

The IFS suspension doubts by many can be laid to rest should they see THAR on the 'torture track' and off-road, the 1700kg power to weight doubt will fade away should they drive the THAR on the road and off-road.
it was shocking to notice that the THAR was never engaged in the 4X4 mode all through. If the THAR was just given a demo ride at the Banglore OTR you would know what I mean.

The THAR will change the complexion and standards of Indian off-roading is my conviction.

I am thankful for your trust and confidence in my judgment relating to THAR. Neither are over rated or will let you down, take my word for it.

Regards,

Articulation front.

Thar she blows !!-tt8.jpg
...and rear
Thar she blows !!-tt5.jpg

Thar she blows !!-tt6.jpg

Thar she blows !!-tt7.jpg
Thats Pratesh, SPIKE ARRESTOR on the right.
Thar she blows !!-tt9.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 13th May 2010 at 13:01.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:56   #60
BHPian

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful, DKG, DB and Fazal bhai.
Was waiting for a very longtime on such a report. Now only if Arka, Samurai and Khan could drive the nuts off it and give us more feedback.

I was already convinced, this make me feel better. (Have to seriously start looking for another job with a good pay hehe). On second thought, A/C and lockable cabin would seal the deal for me

Btw, the catcon seem to have taken lot of hits! Was this experienced during Your drive, DKG?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed