Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 22:49   #631
Senior - BHPian

Sir Behram,

There could be no better platform to showcase the Thar, than here. So many off-roaders in one place at one time.

Arka, Yes he is truly what a Jeeper should be and much more, I yet have to meet him and other legends like UBS Sir and other greats, been fortunate enough to meet you and thanks to you, as it was only by your clearance that I could test drive the Thar a year and a half back.

Many apprehensions laid to rest, as anticipated.

It must be a very proud moment for you and your young Thar team, since the hard work put in is now realized as the vehicle has been praised by the connoisseurs in the field of off-roading. Also it is a proud moment for us T-Bhpian's as two fellow members are the core of the Project Thar .

Please be generous and post that video from your desktop for us less fortunate ones who couldn't make it there.

Lastly my hearty congratulations to the organizers and all the participants of this event, the Alfa Kilo challenge for making it a grand success and paying tribute to Alfa Kilo (may his soul rest in peace) in the most unique way.

Hope to be there in 2011, firstly... to meet many friends I have never did.

Regards,
Old 28th June 2010, 23:07   #632
Senior - BHPian

Like I said...waiting for the Thar. Would love to take one to Ladakh when I go in September. The thought of a bum numbing drive in the Gypsy really scares me!

BD - thats a hint
Old 28th June 2010, 23:28   #633
Senior - BHPian

@ Spike,

I myself wonder why i didnt drive the Thar. reason - Too caught up in trying to tackle everything and see how the experts do it seamlessly.

This was my 2nd OTR. In my 1st i got stuck twice in a span of 40 mins and had to be towed out. This one was better, thanks to Arka who guided me on throttle and steering control.

GS, Atleast now i think you can say that i am not the worlds worst offroader lol
Old 29th June 2010, 03:41   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Spike, are you sure about that? That might have been a sweet dream

Arka, Your Comments are awaited with bated breath.
Arka is still in Hubli. We will have to wait till Wednesday to hear his comments..

but until then let me say "I don't think so" . He loves his JEEP too much.

Having said that... I want whatever is under it's hood.

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 29th June 2010 at 03:46.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:25   #635
Team-BHP Support

Okay, I guess we have again agreed that Thar is a tremendous offroad vehicle
Now please, Behram or Spike, can you put your thoughts on my queries?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1956700
Old 29th June 2010, 11:48   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tanveer - of course you can drive the Thar continuously for days on end if you choose to. You will finally need sleep, the vehicle will keep going. .

These performance parameters are considered as normally given in any vehicle made and sold today.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th June 2010, 13:01   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
At this stage of the frustrating wait, I can only pray for three things:

1. Mahindra launching the Thar by August at least.
2. A hard top + AC variant being launched at the same time as the soft top variant.
3. Reasonable pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar View Post
[b]
Kind Attention Members From Mahindra
Sirs, one very observant member from the African 4X4 forum using the ID Mario.Za has brought up the following vehicle security concerns that are very real and need looking into for sure:

Please tell us that these issues will be solved on the Thar that will be offered to us, thank you.

PS: If nothing else, making at least the fuel cap and bonnet secure will be very highly appreciated.
Dear BD sir, it would be very kind of you if you could say something on the above too. We ordinary people deserve some information/ answers too.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:14   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tanveer - of course you can drive the Thar continuously for days on end if you choose to. You will finally need sleep, the vehicle will keep going. .

These performance parameters are considered as normally given in any vehicle made and sold today.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
thanks Behram! But has any high altitude testing(rarified air, cold mornings) been done on the Thar. People with scorpios report trouble starting at temperatures as low as 2-3 degree C when the vehicle is at 3500 meters above sea level or more.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So my questions
1. How big is the Fuel tank and how much is the FE I can expect at high altitudes. Safari gives me a solid 600km range. Its very important in the himalayas where fuel stops are few and far
2. Sure, Behram and team have taken it to lot of OTRs, but I frankly don't care about OTRs, I care about long distance touring. Can it do 15 hours non stop drives at 100kmph on the highways. Can it do cross country high altitude driving(12-14 hours in rarified air) without overheating. Lot of jeep guys took their jeeps to Leh, and returned home frustrated. Okay, those jeeps were rebuilt Army disposal. But I am kind of scared about reliability and functionality of jeeps on himalayan tracks. This Thar has gone to OTRs but never gone to high altitude. Is the Testing team planning a ladakh cross country run through tough terrain to see what breaks?
3. Comfort - If a vehicle kills the driver, it does not matter how good it is. Does it have a soft suspension. Can it filter out the road?
4. Water fording - How deep can she go. Can I ford with headlights dipped?
5. Suspension - Will I need a visit to service center after every trip for a tie rod etc., change?
6. Service intervals - The scorpio requires a service every 5K. Will Thar be the same. If so, its a bad thing. You cannot plan your trips around services. Longer trips for me last 5K. With 15K intervals of Tatas, I can ride around the country, and still not require a service. Possible in thar?
Hi Tanveer,

1. Fuel tank capacity is 60 Liters, I bet Thar will break your Safari's 600 km mark if maintained and driven properly.
2. Behram Sir has already answered your query, FYI for our General Highway Durability trials we run the vehicle 3 shifts a day with breaks for food, bio break, driver change etc.
3. It will filter out the road, but please don't compare it with the comfort level of a Safari, they are essentially different.
4. As it doesn't come with a factory fitted snorkel you will have to adapt the vehicle for water fording similar to other stock vehicles (except Gurkha).
5. No you won't need to visit service center every 5000 kms for tie rod replacement. BTW which vehicles do you replace tie rods for every 5000 kms?
6. Service intervals depend on the usage pattern (e.g. dusty conditions,enthusiastic/sedate driving etc). It is advisable to stick to manufacturers recommendation, this will help you in the long run.

Hope this answers your questions.

Spike
Old 29th June 2010, 14:14   #640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Tanveer,

1. Fuel tank capacity is 60 Liters, I bet Thar will break your Safari's 600 km mark if maintained and driven properly.
2. Behram Sir has already answered your query, FYI for our General Highway Durability trials we run the vehicle 3 shifts a day with breaks for food, bio break, driver change etc.
3. It will filter out the road, but please don't compare it with the comfort level of a Safari, they are essentially different.
4. As it doesn't come with a factory fitted snorkel you will have to adapt the vehicle for water fording similar to other stock vehicles (except Gurkha).
5. No you won't need to visit service center every 5000 kms for tie rod replacement. BTW which vehicles do you replace tie rods for every 5000 kms?
6. Service intervals depend on the usage pattern (e.g. dusty conditions,enthusiastic/sedate driving etc). It is advisable to stick to manufacturers recommendation, this will help you in the long run.

Hope this answers your questions.

Spike
1. Good to know
2. Great
3. Yes, Safari will be very different, but as long as its not as bad as the gypsy... its fine
4. So I guess I can ford till air filter. In some cars, even 1.5 feet water can create havoc with low placed electronics. My question was from that POV
5. you misunderstood. I was talking about frequent suspension damage due to off road driving. Some vehicles like safari require frequent bush replacement if driven on rough roads
6. Scorpio has oil change interval of 15000kms, but every 5000kms you are supposed to bring it to service center for checkup. This is annoying in a touring vehicle. So I am hoping that Mahindra moves to the current world and gives a 15000kms or atleast a 10,000kms service interval.

My question "Has extensive high altitude testing been done?" is still unanswered
Old 29th June 2010, 14:56   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

The Thar did participate in the EXAMM! with an improvised snorkel. However, fording depths can be answered by BD only.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-img_5030.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 15:38   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Fuel tank capacity for Thar is 60 L and not 45 L as stated by Headers. BTW, Arka told me his next daily drive would be a Thar! Does that raise any eyebrows?

Spike
Thanks Spike for the correction. I thought 60 and typed 45L, me bad!

So is the THAR coming this side of town? Can I do 120+ all day long with AC, PS and MUSIC as well as carry my load?

I hope it does not become a lemon like my X-Bolero Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
.- "Behram, my next every day drive vehicle shall be the Thar". He also mentioned that - "Behram, you have a wonderful vehicle, it would become the last word in off roading in India if you gave a solid axle up front"...

I finally told Arka in Hindi - "tujhmein aur mujhmein kuch to special hai yaar!". His expression and his eyes said it all. My day was made. I have found a knowledgeable friend for life. Isn't it Arkabhai?

PS to all those who were there - I shall choose not to comment on the Thar's performance. However, I shall share what somebody told me. He said, "Behram, your vehicle has passed all EXAMMs with first class honours with distinction, also securing the first rank". Thanks Dude. We appreciate.
WOW, BD at his best - Using his pet project to convert a foe to a friend - way to go
Old 29th June 2010, 16:16   #643
BHPian

The THAR's performance was impressive. I think It has oodles of power which will make it fun both on and off the road.
I dont think the IFS will be to much of problem considering the kind of off roading we do which isnt really "EXTREME".
The benefit of the IFS will really manifest itself in the "on road" characteristics of the vehicle which i think will compensate in someway the lack of a solid front axle during off roading.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:07   #644
Senior - BHPian

Since I lots are being said about the power output of THAR, I thought will put this

If this the least powerful output behaves then I dare not think about the 140 HP data set
Old 29th June 2010, 18:40   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally got to drive it in a very tricky offroad obstacle, the one where most Gypsies failed.

At first I totally underestimated the power of the engine and almost went up the rock wall on the right. It was like riding a tiger. Then I reversed and decided to give only half the throttle than I normally give in my CJ340. Once I got used to the totally different dynamics of the Thar, I came out of the ditch quite easily. It gives you an unfair advantage over regular Jeeps and Gypsies.
As stated earlier here is the video of you TD-ing the THAR in the background while Allan is trying his stunts

Closed Thread

Most Viewed