Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Articulation front.
Attachment 347584
Sir, where is the articulation ?
Old 13th May 2010, 13:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

I also had a chance to drive the THAR yesterday in the traffic and boy it was definitely a revelation. The body was absolutely rattle free and unlike the Bolero VLX didn't have any vibration in the low revvs. For 1 Lakh + Km vehicle, it was sufficiently quite. Actually I felt the engine to be more rev happy vis-a-vis the Storm. The Thar does have a commanding sitting position and an awesome presence on road.

The Tyres if I remember were 245/70 R16.

Thanks BD Sir & Spike for the chance to TD the Thar .

P.S: I have already started pataoing wifey for the THAR . Now if only M&M does a buy back of my Storm

Last edited by MileCruncher : 13th May 2010 at 13:04.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:06   #63
adc
Senior - BHPian

DKG, surely a good first report and a great tourer-offroader it is going to be - know just a route in Arunachal-Burma side to have it over there.

One question, were you okay with how the underside was protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wonderful review DKG. So can we start cribbing about lack of ABS and Airbag?
If one version Thar does come out with ABS, a small segment including me, if able to afford, would pay for that. The need and importance of ABS is fully realized as one travels more and more distances over the highways and with child on the road. Now, Jimny where art thou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
The issue my brother is what would be the cost when you put on A/C, Hardtop, and PS. Differential Locks are also an option as told to me by BD. But then what will be the ultimate cost. I guess with all the above option the price might jump to 10+ OTR.

Now I would like to see how many hands go up at that price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
9 lakhs?? are you kidding? Sir, don't M&M ideas lol.
It most probably looking to touch with the minimum required [hardtop, A/C etc], on road at 8.5-9 L if ex-showroom is 6.25-6.5. Plus the S African version price has to be kept in mind, there cannot be much difference between what offered here and there.

If the Scorpio or Safari LX variant [base version] comes out with 4wd feature - would that price be quite close to the OTR Thar at 9L?

It will be a great tourer-part offroader - for pure offroading at the price point and future maintenance just on particularly wheel alignment costs per offroading - it will start hurting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.S: I have already started pataoing wifey for the THAR .
Me too - but after the looks of Safari and seeing the potato carrying similar looking vehicles on NH34 - its impossible. My trump card still now being that the windscreen can be put down and we can feel the breeze like old times as in the Bullet. Son backs me up fully, he saw enough of u-turns in the last tour - but his worry why 2 seats, where he is going to seat, are we not going to take him!

Last edited by adc : 13th May 2010 at 13:24.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Me too - but after the looks of Safari and seeing the potato carrying similar looking vehicles on NH34 - its impossible. My trump card still now being that the windscreen can be put down and we can feel the breeze like old times as in the Bullet. Son backs me up fully, he saw enough of u-turns in the last tour - but his worry why 2 seats, where he is going to seat, are we not going to take him!
@BD Sir / Spike : Will there be a provision of moving the windscreen. I'm sure it will add character to the vehicle.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Great report DKG sir, thanks for sharing. But My opinion is that, if the Thar looks like this, i'm sure nobody will pay anything over 5 lakhs for it. It looks very downmarket to say the least. I'm aware of all the 540 looks heritage and all that,but that will appeal only to the hardcore offroaders/fans. The urban yuppie will not want to be seen anywhere near such a vehicle.

For the Thar to appeal to a wider audience, and also to pull customers from cars, it should look more upmarket and different from the regular 540/550. A good hardtop, bigger wheels, and better trim is a must.

And Those tail lamps and exposed door hinges have to go. They look Horrible!

Do you have any interior pix of the vehicle?

Last edited by JayD : 13th May 2010 at 13:15.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear friends,
A few quotes from my Thar test drive experience in April 09.
Some of which are endorsed by a more experienced Jeeper, Deepak.

The feeling of "not being enough" can only be fulfilled by driving it.

The IFS suspension doubts by many can be laid to rest should they see THAR on the 'torture track' and off-road, the 1700kg power to weight doubt will fade away should they drive the THAR on the road and off-road.
it was shocking to notice that the THAR was never engaged in the 4X4 mode all through. If the THAR was just given a demo ride at the Banglore OTR you would know what I mean.

The THAR will change the complexion and standards of Indian off-roading is my conviction.

I am thankful for your trust and confidence in my judgment relating to THAR. Neither are over rated or will let you down, take my word for it.

Regards,

Articulation front.

Attachment 347584
...and rear
Attachment 347589

Attachment 347585

Attachment 347586
Thats Pratesh, SPIKE ARRESTOR on the right.
Attachment 347587
Fazal, no offense. But I'm not seeing front articulation. Something like what I have attached.

@ Jay-D , I really don't mind the 540 look alike. If I buy the Thar, that will be one of the primary reasons. Maybe I'm not a urban Yuppie..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-arti_front1.jpg  

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 13th May 2010 at 13:25.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal, no offense. But I'm not seeing front articulation. Something like what I have attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, where is the articulation ?
Fiery enzyme, Headers,
No offense taken at all.
My mistake for the wrong heading.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Jay-D , I really don't mind the 540 look alike. If I buy the Thar, that will be one of the primary reasons. Maybe I'm not a urban Yuppie..lol
Yes, i know! You fall under the 'Hardcore offroaders' Category which i've mentioned!
Old 13th May 2010, 13:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
if the Thar looks like this, i'm sure nobody will pay anything over 5 lakhs for it.

I agree

Now, I would really like to see the numbers please?

How many are putting money down for THAR ? and What price? Can we have a poll please?

Seems like there are a lot of takers upwards of 10L. I definitely am NOT one..

Reasonably speaking - in the same trim levels 5L ex SHR is good. Maybe another 50K for FRP top and AC, PW, CL etc..
Old 13th May 2010, 13:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

when i said 6-8 lakhs firstly its on road and i am looking for variants that would go from a basic version as shown in pictures right up to top end with all creature comforts, modern dash, better tyres, 4X4, etc etc.

not sure what numbers would be. but then , i feel it wont be a volume player which works well for the novelty factor

what could be a deal breaker for me is
1) plain dash board that you see in bolero range
2) no hard top, a/c
3) seats - plain ones like you see in m&m people movers
4) lack of storage space in the cabin.

@headers - how did you conclude there are many takes at 10L + ?

Last edited by narayan : 13th May 2010 at 13:51.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:50   #71
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I also had a chance to drive the THAR yesterday in the traffic and boy it was definitely a revelation. The body was absolutely rattle free and unlike the Bolero VLX didn't have any vibration in the low revvs. For 1 Lakh + Km vehicle, it was sufficiently quite. Actually I felt the engine to be more rev happy vis-a-vis the Storm. The Thar does have a commanding sitting position and an awesome presence on road.

The Tyres if I remember were 245/70 R16.

Thanks BD Sir & Spike for the chance to TD the Thar .

P.S: I have already started pataoing wifey for the THAR . Now if only M&M does a buy back of my Storm
If it is so, I am in two minds now. I was looking forward to Storm 4x4. But after these reports, more leaning towards Thar. To me it is going to be a family car mostly on tarmac with some amount of very bad roads. Looks like it should be Thar, but with a lockable cabin, A/C and PS. Can it have a comfy second row seats?
Old 13th May 2010, 13:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, this is a great review & thanks for your valuable inputs. But I do agree completely with this -
Quote:
if the Thar looks like this, i'm sure nobody will pay anything over 5 lakhs for it. It looks very downmarket to say the least. I'm aware of all the 540 looks heritage and all that,but that will appeal only to the hardcore offroaders/fans. The urban yuppie will not want to be seen anywhere near such a vehicle.
I sincerely hope that M&M will do a cosmetic "touch up" & also add on the AC, PS, ABS & Hardtop (OK, lets forget the Airbags for a minute).

Last edited by suman : 13th May 2010 at 13:53.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:52   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Can it have a comfy second row seats?
No, dont think so they will add it too.

Knowning what you own. Keep the Bolero, sell the CL, buy a Thar.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:57   #74
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Reasonably speaking - in the same trim levels 5L ex SHR is good. Maybe another 50K for FRP top and AC, PW, CL etc..
Around 5.5 ex-SHR max. And if comes with ABS, will pay for the extra premium price!

50k price the sum total of all these features? - "FRP top and AC, PW, CL etc."

For 8.5 nearabouts OTR will all that needed, numbers would be tough to maintain and most probably MM is not worried. I am not quite sure that MM marketing is really breaking out in sweat to make it affordable out here in India itself, it is for the overseas - weekend fun vehicle and the margins are way more there.

Quote:
But My opinion is that, if the Thar looks like this, i'm sure nobody will pay anything over 5 lakhs for it. It looks very downmarket to say the least.
And to overcome that - buy Thar in the white or red colour and use contrasting colour FRP, may be! It should look "good" then.

Last edited by adc : 13th May 2010 at 14:10.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:02   #75
BHPian

Since we are missisng a family+offroad vehicle now, hard top with Aircon is a basic requirment as a company fitment for Thar.

Raj
Closed Thread

Most Viewed