Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 16:06   #781
KMT
BHPian

Spike/Mr Behram
Is it a cage or just a roll bar that is being provided for?

The reason I ask is that I have seen several Jeep accidents (frontal/off centre) and given that it is just sheet metal on a ladder chassis the bodywork just rips off like a tin can and the occupants on the affected side are usually badly hurt.
If a full cage is provided (A pillar on), there will be some protection provided for the
occupants.

The old DI&DP jeeps hardly used to cross 80-100Kmh, if they are going to reach 140 there is greater necessity for better passenger protection.

Are you able to share what 'safety' fittings will be provided on Thar (ie inertia reel belts & collapsible steering for basic, and airbag & ABS for the top end etc etc).

Or am I completely missing the point and these features are not considered by the segment/s you are targeting.

Your thoughts?
Old 14th July 2010, 18:07   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
...7 seater version (as in the posts above)? If its a 7er, then what exactly would be the seating arrangement...
From what I have understood, it is going to be a 7-seater ; driver + 2 passengers in the front seats (as in the current Bolero XL cabs), two each on two side-facing bench seats in the rear.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:35   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Fazal Sir, as you know it has to be a 7 seater (with side facing/inboard seats). With a seating layout for 7, roll over bar will have to give way.

Spike
Quote:
The one shown on Auto Expo is not production intended. Please see the attached pic, where will you mount the seats (7 seater configuration) if a roll cage already exists
Can please explain sir how will it be a 7 seater? Are you going to seat 3 people up front in bench seats .
Also isn't the rear bench seats 3 people each side like the Major ? In that case this becomes a 9 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
From what I have understood, it is going to be a 7-seater ; driver + 2 passengers in the front seats (as in the current Bolero XL cabs), two each on two side-facing bench seats in the rear.
The rear bench is good for 3 people each side like the MAJOR IIRC.

Looks like M&M is going to make this also a people mover and not a niche vehicle.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:13   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Is it going to be a 4 seater (front facing) or 7 seater version (as in the posts above)? If its a 7er, then what exactly would be the seating arrangement (don't tell me it would be a Scorpio one.)?
Definitely a 7 seater with side facing (inboard bench seats). It cannot be similar to Scorpio as WB is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Spike/Mr Behram
Is it a cage or just a roll bar that is being provided for?

Are you able to share what 'safety' fittings will be provided on Thar (ie inertia reel belts & collapsible steering for basic, and airbag & ABS for the top end etc etc).

Your thoughts?
The roll over bar (currently in exports) will have a provision for mounting ELR seat belts. Even without a roll over bar, ELR seat belts will be provided as a standard fitment. This is what I can say as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
NO, this combination is not possible. For every front facing seat provided a seat belt anchorage is mandatory as per CMVR, hope you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Can please explain sir how will it be a 7 seater? Are you going to seat 3 people up front in bench seats .
Also isn't the rear bench seats 3 people each side like the Major ? In that case this becomes a 9 seater.

Looks like M&M is going to make this also a people mover and not a niche vehicle.
What Saar? Seating arrangement will be as follows:- Driver + Co-Driver at front+ provision for seating 5 people at the rear (all side facing). If not a 7 seater, the vehicle can be made a 2/4 seater but that would mean getting a yellow number plate, would you like that?

Spike
Old 14th July 2010, 19:25   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seating arrangement will be as follows:- Driver + Co-Driver at front+ provision for seating 5 people at the rear (all side facing). If not a 7 seater, the vehicle can be made a 2/4 seater but that would mean getting a yellow number plate, would you like that?

Spike
Dear Spikey,
Long time, hope, you are doing fine!
One small question about this 5 people at the rear --> If it is 2 bench seats and assuming both benches to be of same dimension, why/how do you arrive at this figure 5?
Does it mean that 2 on one bench and 3 on other bench?
Thanks a lot and wish you, BD & THAR good luck with the launch.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th July 2010, 20:18   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Spikey,
Long time, hope, you are doing fine!
One small question about this 5 people at the rear --> If it is 2 bench seats and assuming both benches to be of same dimension, why/how do you arrive at this figure 5?
Does it mean that 2 on one bench and 3 on other bench?
Thanks a lot and wish you, BD & THAR good luck with the launch.
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi Deepak,

You are spot on. Both benches cannot be equal, as per CMVR for every person a minimum space of 381 mm (15 ") must be provided, so for 3 people the length becomes 45". Then the longer seat has to be 45" and the shorter one >= 30" and <=45" isn't it? Now do the maths to find out which seat (longer/shorter) must be behind the driver/co-driver seats. Hope you got the answer.

Spike

PS- As a manufacturer we are bound to follow these laws which others somehow fail to comprehend and term as an excuse :-(
Old 14th July 2010, 22:06   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
every person a minimum space of 381 mm (15 ") must be provided, so for 3 people the length becomes 45". Then the longer seat has to be 45" and the shorter one >= 30" and <=45" isn't it? Now do the maths to find out which seat (longer/shorter) must be behind the driver/co-driver seats. Hope you got the answer.

Spike
Interesting to note that the powers that be still think in inches!

Passenger seat:- limited adjustment or no adjustment?

Thinking outside the box: any rules for backward facing seats? If the mounting holes are symmetric, we (ie users) can then just flip them around.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th July 2010, 22:27   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tanveer - your query on leg space at the driver seat of Thar, please refer my post no 657 on page 44, where I have explained that we have completely redone the seat configuration including its certification. I take the driver seat totally back and I drive with my hands almost straight on the steering wheel. I feel very comfortable. I feel that the driver ergonomics have come out good. I have driven 650 kms with only one 5 minute stop for fuel (Nasik to Zaheerabad) in the dead of night and I thoroughly enjoyed as the roads are always completely deserted after Umarga (MH25) which is the Maharashtra / Karnataka border. The best part is when you press the chamcha in fourth gear and when the turbo kicks in, the vehicle just lurches on and on. Then you reach the maximum torque point. Get the drift? I just overtake everything in sight as I have handling to support the power and the seating to support both handling and power. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 15th July 2010, 00:09   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...NO, this combination is not possible. For every front facing seat provided a seat belt anchorage is mandatory as per CMVR, hope you know that...
Is it different for yellow-board vehicles ? I have travelled in XL Boleros(licensed for 9+1) where there were only 2 seat-belts in the front seat (which could seat three).

Quote:
...which others somehow fail to comprehend and term as an excuse :-(
How sad :-(

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 15th July 2010 at 00:11.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:43   #790
BHPian

Quote:
If not a 7 seater, the vehicle can be made a 2/4 seater but that would mean getting a yellow number plate, would you like that?

Spike
Why would a 2/4 seater get a yellow number plate?
Old 15th July 2010, 08:00   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
IIRC this has to do with some unique CMVR rules which specifies weight of the vehicle viz-viz no. of people et al.

BTW Spike, is the THAR being type certified as a totally new vehicle or as a variant of MM540?
Old 15th July 2010, 08:47   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Passenger seat:- limited adjustment or no adjustment?

Thinking outside the box: any rules for backward facing seats? If the mounting holes are symmetric, we (ie users) can then just flip them around.

Regards
Sutripta
No adjustment at rear, only folding option. All seats whether forward/backward facing must have seat belt anchorages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
In this condition it comes under N1 category which is for commercial vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
IIRC this has to do with some unique CMVR rules which specifies weight of the vehicle viz-viz no. of people et al.

BTW Spike, is the THAR being type certified as a totally new vehicle or as a variant of MM540?
Ani Saar, have to say you know a thing or two about CMVR. The funda here is, for a passenger vehicle the cumulative weight of the passengers must be greater than the payload of the vehicle. Similarly, for a passenger/load carrier the total payload must be greater than the weight of the passengers. Hope it is clear now. Weight of one passenger assumed is 68 kg. Attaching a pic for more info.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-1.jpg  

Old 15th July 2010, 15:04   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now do the maths to find out which seat (longer/shorter) must be behind the driver/co-driver seats. Hope you got the answer.

Spike
Dear Spike,
Thanks for your reply.
My guess is that the longer bench would be behind the driver and shorter behind the co-driver.
Just a question, could you atleast provide holes on the tub, so that one could bolt on a front facing seat? Also, can the co-driver seat slide and lean forward creating space to get into the rear cabin?
Thanks Spike.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 15th July 2010, 15:49   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Just a question, could you atleast provide holes on the tub, so that one could bolt on a front facing seat? Also, can the co-driver seat slide and lean forward creating space to get into the rear cabin?
Holes on the tub are given, you need not worry. Also, if you use the export rollover bars you can mount seat belts for the front facing rear seats also, in that case the side facing bench seats need to be removed. Co-driver seat is sliding type but entry into the rear cabin from the front is not possible as of now.

Spike
Old 15th July 2010, 15:56   #795
Team-BHP Support

Good to know its roomy. Now I am waiting when this Thar will come to Delhi area. Need to check her out. Right now I guess she's mostly in south and west India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks