Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 19:59   #871
Senior - BHPian

The Rubicon type top would be nice, even if it were in one piece & not opening into various configurations. May tend to leak eventually.

Infact I wish there is a (single piece) hard top option with A/C, that & a nice suspension & I think I already see myself driving one.

Cheers
Old 30th July 2010, 16:05   #872
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Thar:

Sorry to say this but some of the questions asked in the other thread about Thar is outright silly.

The issues with lockable is a problem with every soft top vehicle. Even the mighty wrangler cannot be locked in soft top form. Regarding the other queries, Fuel tank lid is available with lock (I have this on my mm540). Same can be put in the Thar. Spare wheel has a provision to put a pad lock. This is the case with most SUVs with read dor mounted spare wheels.
Old 31st July 2010, 05:38   #873
Senior - BHPian

Well as expected or at least i am hoping that thar would be launched around Diwali.

but no matter how many times we ask, our dear Santa wont give straight forward answers, he is master of puzzles or maybe he loves to tease us kids.

so Mr Dhabhar please share the timelines of the launch if you have, so that we can start planning for funds etc.

or shall i wait another puzzle,sir ???
Old 1st August 2010, 07:33   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would say, wait for Jimny!
Sir, I really hope and pray that Mahindra don't force me to go that way as I really love the way the Thar looks and have been a Mahindra faithful for years after having owned a MM540, a few Boleros and a Scorpio. I've been begging for a hard top variant with AC in my previous posts and if Mahindra fails to offer that, I will go exactly the way you suggest.
Old 1st August 2010, 09:46   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly the Jimny launch is pretty much pure speculation at this point. We have no news from Maruthi. Absolutely no spy pics/test mules spotted. Maruthi philosophy is still sub 6 lakh high volume vehicles. If they put the effort into plonking a multi jet or even just bringing the Vitara in CKD form, they an improve the sales a lot. They don't even willingly sell the Gypsy to a civilian unless he/she really wants one and pesters the dealers.

Atleast we know that the Mahindra Thar has some key people who are really trying hard to get it into production. So, guys I think the Force OM611 Gurkha will come out before the Jimny is launched in India. Don't hold your breath because of some speculative news article. People are complaining about the pricing of the Thar.

Do you think Jimny will be cheap?? Mahindra has no additional tooling/parts requirement for Thar as it is pretty much made from existing parts bin and can be assembled on existing assembly lines. It just requires the hear/will to convince Mahindra bosses to roll this out.

Jimny will have to either CDK/CBU or Maruthi will have to import tooling and re-alter their assembly lines. Do you guys think the volumes will justify Maruthi doing etiher? Right now, if you want a refined 4x4 Thar is the most likely thing that will happen in the near future. Rest of the speculations can be thrown into a bucked labelled "Force Gurkha OM611 ".

But I would like to add that not offering a Hard Top option will definitely reduce the sales of the Thar.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:00   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Do you think Jimny will be cheap?? Mahindra has no additional tooling/parts requirement for Thar as it is pretty much made from existing parts bin and can be assembled on existing assembly lines.
since the tooling and other equipment is already ready made with M&M, what could be the cost of the Thar?

all M&M jeeps are knows to have delicate body panels when it comes to RUST and the welding joints tend to come off, i have seen jeeps with added support bolted on welding joints!

can we expect the Thar to have better treated body panels to guard/fight against the RUST and welding? (this is my Only worry about the Thar).
Old 1st August 2010, 23:15   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Well as expected or at least i am hoping that thar would be launched around Diwali.

but no matter how many times we ask, our dear Santa wont give straight forward answers, he is master of puzzles or maybe he loves to tease us kids.

so Mr Dhabhar please share the timelines of the launch if you have, so that we can start planning for funds etc.

or shall i wait another puzzle,sir ???
I guess the chaps at Mahindra would not like to give out the launch date lest they lose the associated bang. I am sure Mahindra has a detailed plan to market across many segments. One thing I know that I will absolutely not buy one if there is no AC and hardtop option. Having these two features, I do not mind using it as a daily drive even. I am sure more then many will agree with me.

perhaps Mahindra can run a survey on team BHP
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:53   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I guess the chaps at Mahindra would not like to give out the launch date lest they lose the associated bang. I am sure Mahindra has a detailed plan to market across many segments. One thing I know that I will absolutely not buy one if there is no AC and hardtop option. Having these two features, I do not mind using it as a daily drive even. I am sure more then many will agree with me.

perhaps Mahindra can run a survey on team BHP
Thar has been launched in both hardtop and soft-top versions in SA and its expected around Diwali time in india.

so get your cheque books ready!
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:03   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Thar has been launched in both hardtop and soft-top versions in SA and its expected around Diwali time in india.
Let me make this clear, as of now HT is being offered in Italy only. It's a DFO (Dealer Fitment Option). Even SA does not have a HT option yet.

Spike
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:45   #880
BHPian

Thar Vs Jeep Wrangler TJ

Folks,
Some more pics of Thar (South African Edition) just for all us to drool!Special thanks to my South African Jeeper friend who shared these pics.All pics copyright to him.

Thar Vs Jeep Wrangler TJ
These are from his yesterdays trip to some mountains in SA.Interestingly you can also see a similar coloured Wrangler TJ in these pics. In few of them there are parked side by side..which I am sure will give all us more ideas for Thar customization.
Enjoy
JC

Poster pic ( thanks to his photo shop skills)
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_01.jpg

Another poster /Desktop pic

Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_02.jpeg

He was really impressed with the performance on snow with stock tyres.
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_03.jpeg

Mahindra Thar & Jeep Wrangler TJ
(interestingly both are with almost similar colour)
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_04.jpeg

M&M Thar
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_05.jpeg

JEEP Wrangler TJ

Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_06.jpeg

M&M Thar Vs JEEP Wrangler TJ
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_07.jpeg

M&M Thar Vs JEEP Wrangler TJ ( Close Up)
Thar she blows !!-thar-4x4-za_08.jpeg

Mahindra 4x4 Rules (Endorsement from a Happy Thar Customer)
Name:  Thar 4x4 ZA_09.jpeg
Views: 2447
Size:  117.3 KB
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:14   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

@spike. Noticed that the European/SA version has front facing rear seats? How are these seats accessed? Can the passenger side seat be flipped over for access?
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:43   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@spike. Noticed that the European/SA version has front facing rear seats? How are these seats accessed? Can the passenger side seat be flipped over for access?
Tini, front facing seats at the rear are dealer fitments. Co-drivers seat cannot be flipped over.

Spike
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:45   #883
Senior - BHPian

i do not know which parts are being used but i got a suggestion from my experience owning a Bolero

Please do not provide a key option to open the fuel lid and also please make the fuel lid the plastic type as my metal lid always leaks as the fuel bunk attendant has to carefully put the lid back.

And regarding seating: Can the seating be sent as a spare part to the dealer instead of being fitted at the factory so if a person wants front facing seats he would not have to get his replaced but rather fit one at the the dealers itself?
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:12   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Folks,
Some more pics of Thar (South African Edition) just for all us to drool!Special thanks to my South African Jeeper friend who shared these pics.All pics copyright to him.

Thar Vs Jeep Wrangler TJ
These are from his yesterdays trip to some mountains in SA.Interestingly you can also see a similar coloured Wrangler TJ in these pics. In few of them there are parked side by side..which I am sure will give all us more ideas for Thar customization.
Enjoy
JC

Poster pic ( thanks to his photo shop skills)
Attachment 397964

Another poster /Desktop pic
Attachment 397965

He was really impressed with the performance on snow with stock tyres.
Attachment 397966

Mahindra Thar & Jeep Wrangler TJ(interestingly both are with almost similar colour)
Attachment 397967

M&M Thar
Attachment 397968

JEEP Wrangler TJ
Attachment 397969

M&M Thar Vs JEEP Wrangler TJ
Attachment 397970

M&M Thar Vs JEEP Wrangler TJ ( Close Up)
Attachment 397971

Mahindra 4x4 Rules (Endorsement from a Happy Thar Customer)
Attachment 397972
"yeh pyaas kabh bhujhey gi"!

i have sold my civic to generate funds for the Thar.

lucky guys in SA 4x4 community are enjoying the Thar before the people in its land of birth!

the more photos i see of Thar, the more frequent she comes in my dreams

BD sir, let her loose and come to us!
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:49   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar pictures.

Here are some Thar pics from a South African Forum.
Thar she blows !!-thar.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar2.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar3.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar4.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar5.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar6.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar7.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar8.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar9.jpg

Thar she blows !!-thar10.jpg
Source.
Closed Thread