Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 15:29   #901
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Vinaydas?
Central locking and keyless entry in a softtop vechicle, a delicious thought?
Yes definately possible - possibly the jeep wrangler today may even have this, but I guess the reliability of the Thar can be kept higher without such frills out here. Power windows for the front should be sufficient.
How about automatic wiper / lamps / power washer sprays / heated seats / multi information displays etc. - Lets leave these for 2020, and get the thar out in the present form now.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:51   #902
Senior - BHPian

Central locking isn't a frill. You have no idea how annoying it is to walk around to the back to open the rear door on the Gypsy for friends...especially after you've already gotten in and started the vehicle.

Auto-Wiper, Lamps, Heated Seats, MID etc. are frills. All I need to know from my 4x4 is how fast I am going, what revs am I using, trip-meter and how much fuel I have left. Throw in an accurate clock if can be done.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:47   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Central locking isn't a frill. You have no idea how annoying it is to walk around to the back to open the rear door on the Gypsy for friends...especially after you've already gotten in and started the vehicle.

Auto-Wiper, Lamps, Heated Seats, MID etc. are frills. All I need to know from my 4x4 is how fast I am going, what revs am I using, trip-meter and how much fuel I have left. Throw in an accurate clock if can be done.
All that you want can be done in your MG413W Mpfi. PM me and I'll guide you in totality
Old 4th August 2010, 18:02   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

Absolutely essential to have central locking, and some set of factory fitted security, be it an immobilizer, a gear lock option and gps tracker. I found out the hard way that having door hinges on the outside may look cool, but are totally insecure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
All that you want can be done in your MG413W Mpfi. PM me and I'll guide you in totality
naughty, naughty...

Cheers,
Sriku
Old 4th August 2010, 19:04   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, we are talking about a jeep which M&M is trying to launch at a price that will be attractive to the jeeper crowd. It is definitely not targeted as a *Yuppie Mobile*. We may have to keep a swift to cherish the central locking and keyless entry.

If I had a choice, I would like to have a automatic system to roll up the rear canvas flap. It is a pain to roll sometimes. A nice solar powered and remote electrical roller for the rear flap would have been very useful.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:52   #906
Senior - BHPian

its sad to hear no HT for thar at the moment, but any chances of HT being offered as a dealer fitment, NO!

i would like to wait for facelift thar with 'new added' features (typical of mahindra) in 2 years time!
Old 4th August 2010, 21:09   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that we know its not coming with hard top, will it have AC(optional) and Power Steering? or they want us to pay for just a new IFS and CRDe engine.

Frills like PW and Central locking are not very hard to fit here, the Bolero comes with those and is based on similar platform. AFAIK the Thar shares the dashboard with Bolero. How much extra does embedding immobiliser in the ECU cost, even the 800 comes with one.

I do understand this is going to be a no frills offroader but people like me may want to use the Jeep as daily drive. Basics like PS and AC has to be there for me. A premium version will essentials should be there, instead of giving us Alloys and stickers on that version give us CL, PW and ABS. We can always get a hardtop/Softtop fabricated ourselves, Dabwali is my native place.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th August 2010 at 21:11.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:42   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Now that we know its not coming with hard top, will it have AC(optional) and Power Steering?
P/S is a standard fitment. It will be given from Day 1.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:47   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
And What about AC? Will it come with optional AC?
Old 4th August 2010, 21:55   #910
BHPian

I think any one can sure install a MM540 HT since Thar has the same body line.

It can also be painted in matching or contrast color.

However it looks sporty with out top
Old 4th August 2010, 23:10   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
I think any one can sure install a MM540 HT since Thar has the same body line.
The problem is that the company that made the MM540 HT is out of business and the latest version that you see on the police jeeps in chennai is so ugly that it makes the Mahindra design team look like a bunch of geniuses. It is next to impossible to source a good HT in the used market. Your only option is to build one.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:06   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Thar 1 Gypsy 0.

atlast Thar scores over Gypsy when it comes to PS!

wait...Gypsy scores against Thar, Gypsy has a HT as an option!

so its Thar 1 Gypsy 1.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:13   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Gypsy comes with 5.XX lakhs price tag. Thar can't even dream of the something close, it's Major territory. It's fair to compare the Gypsy to a Major but not with Thar.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:21   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Gypsy comes with 5.XX lakhs price tag. Thar can't even dream of the something close, it's Major territory. It's fair to compare the Gypsy to a Major but not with Thar.
does major comes with a HT?

i have seen many Gypsies with many respected forum members and i have hardly seen a Major owned here on TBhp!

its mostly ex-army 540/550s re-built by respected forum members (on the same design Thar is based)!

so its a close battle fought between 540/550 and Gypsy!
Old 5th August 2010, 00:28   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I am sure the Major sells in better no.s compared to Gypsy, considering just the civilian sales. Brand new Major Jeep's can be spotted in States like Haryana, Rajasthan and Punjab.

Last edited by .anshuman : 5th August 2010 at 00:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed