Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:53   #991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
With a wee bit of exposure to working with FRP, I would estimate material costs to be in the region of 3k-4k. Adding labour, finishing and fittings (glass windows, beading, sealant and harnesses) to the final product would probably entail 6k-7k price tag. If one doesnt go DIY, the I suppose a similar off the shelf product can easily be marketed for 12k-15k minimum depending on the finish.
May god bless you and if someone can really come up with a good hardtop in that kind of a range that will be really great. Btw, the hardtop done in 4x4addict's jeep is made of alumunium mostly. Here are the quotes from his own thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
.... The body has been done in Aluminium for lightness. There is a steel cage inside for strength....
Quote:
...1. Most of the top is aluminum except for rear door and certain channels to rivet the aluminum too.
But the cost is really on the higher side.
Quote:
.... Now that we know what exactly needs to be done, I feel it can be completed for about 50K...
And looks like some plan for the hard top of THAR is also on the way:
Quote:
...For the Thar top, We are not making any tooling. We plan to do one in sheet metal and then a fiber mould will be made from the first piece. Beyond that all additional pieces will be in FRP.....
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:08   #992
BHPian

Ok, So we have a wonderful Hard Top, we have options for AC, for Power steering but please can someone tell me, where is the THAR to fix all this things on. September has started and Early Novemeber is Diwali yet no news on Launch of Thar, I don't think Santa is going to gives us early Xmas gifts.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:56   #993
BHPian

Its nearly a year Mr.BD asked us to keep the money ready. Now where is the Thar? Give us atleast tentative dates, Else can we get an Scorpio SLE 4x4 I will be Happy.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:14   #994
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
Ok, So we have a wonderful Hard Top, we have options for AC, for Power steering but please can someone tell me, where is the THAR
One minor detail that remains! I think the use of the above icon (Dead horse flogging) and the word "launch" should not be allowed on a post in any Thar thread!
Old 5th September 2010, 07:05   #995
BHPian

I really don't think we should expect a lot from Mahindra on the Thar. Forget a HT variant, the fuel tank lid isn't lockable and that can make parking the Thar unattended anywhere a big risk. I hope and pray they at least look into this. A fellow member did say that this can easily be done outside, but why would I want to get something so basic done outside, carry an extra key just for this and put something that's not OE and yet so very basic on my brand new vehicle on day one???
Old 5th September 2010, 18:08   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Thar: As an alternative, I suggest the Maruthi Versa/Ecco. It comes under 2.75 lakhs with a brilliant K-Series engine with AC and most important the fuel cap is lockable, has the RFID chip bases security system. It will carry the same number of people as the Thar and comes with many features that are not in the Thar. We have an excellent people mover in the Versa/Ecco for about half the price of the Thar.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th September 2010 at 18:09.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:48   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Thar: As an alternative, I suggest the Maruthi Versa/Ecco. It comes under 2.75 lakhs with a brilliant K-Series engine with AC and most important the fuel cap is lockable, has the RFID chip bases security system. It will carry the same number of people as the Thar and comes with many features that are not in the Thar. We have an excellent people mover in the Versa/Ecco for about half the price of the Thar.
i cant make out if you are being funny, sarcastic or being serious!

anyway on a serious note, can we open fuel cap from inside the cabin so that we dont have to carry an extra key?
Old 6th September 2010, 11:13   #998
BHPian

Just for fun...

Test drove a top end scorpio this saturday. let's say the poor rep didn't object to me burning oodles of diesel. he actively encouraged me to give it a whirl on the dnd. yeehaw...after a long time I felt the old thrill of driving a beast with a hunger for the road.
so if no thar after a month or so, i shall look nofarthar.

chaunfa
Old 6th September 2010, 11:16   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i cant make out if you are being funny, sarcastic or being serious!

anyway on a serious note, can we open fuel cap from inside the cabin so that we dont have to carry an extra key?
Parm, i think Tini is just being realistic.
This member Thar should be made to understand the realities of living with a soft-top Mahindra Jeep. It ain't a walk in the park.
Regarding your question, i don't know if you are really being serious asking that question. Opening fuel cap from inside would suffice or would you also need that feature with a long press on the key integrated with buttons?
C'mon Parm, it just has a screw type cap sort of a lid. If there is no locking option, why would you need to do anything from inside. It is always possible to open it from outside!
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 6th September 2010, 12:50   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
what i meant in my question was presence of this lever in the driver side to open the petrol lid!
And why on earth you want that if you can open the fuel lid with the key from outside? The lever is only required for Keyless fuel lids.

--Sree--
Old 6th September 2010, 13:11   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
And why on earth you want that if you can open the fuel lid with the key from outside? The lever is only required for Keyless fuel lids.

--Sree--
looks like my question and its answers have got it all wrong! (its a joke gone wrong)!

anyway i was talking about maruti ecco/versa and not the THAR!

i know the THAR and other JEEPS have the petrol/diesel cap and it comes with its own lock and is operated by a separate key!

lets get back the topic of the thread, THAR, please forgive and forget about my joke!

Last edited by Parm : 6th September 2010 at 13:13.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:00   #1002
BHPian

From checking this thread 3 times a day, I have gone the reverse way and check this thread once in three days. And I am not disappointed (sarcasm) when this still doesn't seem to be moving anywhere. We are still stuck on even more tiring discussions on various aspects that we would have desired from Thar.

Please Mahindra prove us wrong. Get that car out on the market. About time you do it.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:07   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Whew! 1000+ posts discussing a mirage. Time to lock this thread and start another one!

Sutripta
Old 6th September 2010, 21:33   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Sutripta - Actually you would be surprised that a Tbhian and someone who is aspiring to be a jeeper in bangalore, called me today evening and asked me what is a Thar? So lets leave this thread alone, lest it rust away into the hidden pages...
Old 6th September 2010, 22:31   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sutripta - Actually you would be surprised that a Tbhian and someone who is aspiring to be a jeeper in bangalore, called me today evening and asked me what is a Thar? So lets leave this thread alone, lest it rust away into the hidden pages...
Poser, not Jeeper, I would think!

Seriously though, I think this, (and any other thread on the Thar) should be locked till such time something concrete emerges. In the meantime, we can start a poll on a suitable name for this Mirage. (Or if politically incorrect is acceptable, I can think of quite a few.)

Regards
Sutripta
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks